ADVERTISEMENT

No Emotion, Just Factual Observation

STLNBSE

700+
Feb 27, 2003
I personally don’t give a rat’s ass about what Brohm chose. I didn’t before the decision either. What I do care about is bringing in a bad-ass coach and I’m not sure that was what we were going to be getting in Brohm.

Objectively speaking, Brohm was never worth 6 million, and I expect his future performance to bear that out. 6 million per is what you’d pay a championship level coach. Jumping into bed with Brohm at this ridiculous price would have crippled the program if he proved to be unsuccessful or mediocre (two distinct possibilities). Let’s go get someone on merit now instead of legacy. Who’s in?

I personally don’t give a rat’s ass about what Brohm chose. I didn’t before the decision either. What I do care about is bringing in a bad-ass coach and I’m not sure that was what we were going to be getting in Brohm.

Objectively speaking, Brohm was never worth 6 million, and I expect his future performance to bear that out. 6 million per is what you’d pay a championship level coach. Jumping into bed with Brohm at this ridiculous price would have crippled the program if he proved to be unsuccessful or mediocre (two distinct possibilities). Let’s go get someone on merit now instead of legacy. Who’s in?

I'm in total agreement. Brohm is not worthy of $6M. Taking it a step further, if I'm the AD and I'm sitting in front of Brohm, and he shows a lack of interest in the job, I don't offer him at all. But, Tyra went ahead and offered. That's just dumb.

Reactions: Cue Card
I would love to know how the conversation between Tyra and Brohm went. What was said did Tyra explain the job in a negative light or was it a positive approach. It was said that we did not match the Purdue offer but we had other incentives. If this is true it is deeply disturbing and we need to target the people who are causing this.

Reactions: zipp
No coach in college football is probably worth what he's paid. That ain't the issue.

The question was AT THE MARGIN... Look at where you are next year at this time, and ask whether it would have been worth paying Brohm the extra million.

I predict you'll answer the question differently...

Reactions: mrb202
...It was said that we did not match the Purdue offer but we had other incentives. If this is true it is deeply disturbing and we need to target the people who are causing this.
Well, you and I know who those guys are...

It could be that Brohm has bigger long term plans. What if Brohm is thinking long term that he wants to coach in the NFL? If that is the case he may just be saving us the trouble of having to go through this whole process 3-5 years from now. He'd feel as if he would letting us down by leaving.

Or it;s possible he wants to coach at one of the elite programs like a Ohio State/Alabama/Notre Dame type school eventually. Lets face it, if those schools lose 1 game they are still in the conversation for the final 4 every single year....if Louisville loses one game we are out or we would need some luck to get in.

But I agree with your overall sentiment, its time to move on.

It could be that Brohm has bigger long term plans. What if Brohm is thinking long term that he wants to coach in the NFL? If that is the case he may just be saving us the trouble of having to go through this whole process 3-5 years from now. He'd feel as if he would letting us down by leaving.

Or it;s possible he wants to coach at one of the elite programs like a Ohio State/Alabama/Notre Dame type school eventually. Lets face it, if those schools lose 1 game they are still in the conversation for the final 4 every single year....if Louisville loses one game we are out or we would need some luck to get in.

But I agree with your overall sentiment, its time to move on.
All of that is possible. But you'll never know because your AD was too frugal...

I'm in total agreement. Brohm is not worthy of $6M. Taking it a step further, if I'm the AD and I'm sitting in front of Brohm, and he shows a lack of interest in the job, I don't offer him at all. But, Tyra went ahead and offered. That's just dumb.
Disagree. There were many on this board that would have started a revolt if they discovered that Tyra did not even make a legitimate offer.

No coach in college football is probably worth what he's paid. That ain't the issue.

The question was AT THE MARGIN... Look at where you are next year at this time, and ask whether it would have been worth paying Brohm the extra million.

I predict you'll answer the question differently...

Couple things here Zipp:

1-weren’t you openly questioning Brohm as the right hire a few weeks ago? I agreed with you then, but why now so attached to the idea of him being the right hire? I get that you never miss a run at Tyra, but be consistent brother.

2-Tyra might have been able to pony up a few extra shekels had he not had to lay down the 14 mill Jurich wantonly and needlessly guaranteed for Bobby

I'm glad he didn't offer or spend the cash, JB's heart wasn't in it?

Let's grow some cajones and go get fresh blood...no more double hires or used to be here's.

Heck he's 6-6...I wish him luck, but I'm excited in the search.

Hell, I may even go back to donating my $20 per year to the athletic fund to help pay for things, LOL.

Reactions: STLNBSE
Couple things here Zipp:

1-weren’t you openly questioning Brohm as the right hire a few weeks ago? I agreed with you then, but why now so attached to the idea of him being the right hire? I get that you never miss a run at Tyra, but be consistent brother.

2-Tyra might have been able to pony up a few extra shekels had he not had to lay down the 14 mill Jurich wantonly and needlessly guaranteed for Bobby
Appreciate that it's hard to read every one of my posts...

What I said prior to the fact was that Tyra had to land Brohm because of the overwhelming fan support. And NOT because from a pure coaching standpoint, that Brohm was head and shoulders better than anyone else.

I don't personally think that Brohm is a huge loss in terms of what he can accomplish with a given set of resources. But try convincing the average U of L fan of that, most of whom think this is one of the darkest days in recent memory.

Tyra's sitting in front of all of the controls. I don't wanna hear one thing is his responsibility, but another is not. I like to remind folks that Tyra wasn't standing in front of TV cameras on his first day with a gun to his head. He owned the job and everything it includes from that day forward. In this case, if he couldn't finish the job right, he should have never started it. Maybe Tyra should have negotiated a million or two off of that buyout and given it to Brohm. We might not be having this discussion...

Why exactly would Bobby have taken less than the 14 million he was contractually owed? Would you?

Agreed

Why exactly would Bobby have taken less than the 14 million he was contractually owed? Would you?
U of L could theoretically argue that they would extend the $14 million in payments, in lieu of paying it as his regular salary. His contract is ambiguous. Better to take less money more quickly. Instead, U of L got no concessions.

Knowing that contract, I would certainly have taken what Petrino ended up with on the first offer. And since Tyra disclosed the terms immediately after firing Petrino, there's no indication that any of those terms were negotiated.

If Tyra needed a million or two, in hindsight, that's one place he could have gotten it. Rookie AD strikes again...

U of L could theoretically argue that they would extend the $14 million in payments, in lieu of paying it as his regular salary. His contract is ambiguous. Better to take less money more quickly. Instead, U of L got no concessions.

Knowing that contract, I would certainly have taken what Petrino ended up with on the first offer. And since Tyra disclosed the terms immediately after firing Petrino, there's no indication that any of those terms were negotiated.

If Tyra needed a million or two, in hindsight, that's one place he could have gotten it. Rookie AD strikes again...

My understanding was that the contract clearly stated the 14 mill be paid within 90 days of termination. Nothing ambiguous there. Spin it however you like, the only rookie ADvmove was made by Jurich 20 years into the gig when he laughed, slapped Bobby on the back and said “how about 14 mill should we ever fire you pal?”

I know you dislike Tyra, but it seems grossly unfair to blame him for Jurichs stupidity.

Reactions: bandfan1

If he hadn't offered then this city would have been in an uproar. He had to make the offer.

My understanding was that the contract clearly stated the 14 mill be paid within 90 days of termination....
That's not true. It only said there had to be "quarterly" payments to fulfill it. Helps to know the facts...

You have definitely proven that you are simply a contrarian. A month ago you were spouting off how dumb it would be to pay the Brohms of the world....now that we didn't land him, we should have paid him ??? Your agenda is apparent .Tyra could hire Saben for 3 mil a year an you'd find issue with it Zipp
When the process started and Petrino was still the coach, I said it was "dumb" to spend the millions that Tyra has now spent and planned to spend paying Brohm a $5 million salary.

Once he got to that point, it was just as "dumb" not spending the extra million to actually seal the deal.

I guess you could conclude Tyra's a movie fan...

jim-carrey-jeff-daniels.jpg

If he hadn't offered then this city would have been in an uproar. He had to make the offer.
What other Power 5 coach would we offer with a 6-6 record and one of the loses to Eastern Michigan?

I’m pissed he didn’t come. But Brohm would have easily sold 10,000 more seats per game than anyone short of Saban coming in here. At $50 a ticket that’s $500,000 a game times 6 games equals $3 million. He was well worth the money whether he was actually worth it or not! Basic math.

Appreciate that it's hard to read every one of my posts...

What I said prior to the fact was that Tyra had to land Brohm because of the overwhelming fan support. And NOT because from a pure coaching standpoint, that Brohm was head and shoulders better than anyone else.

I don't personally think that Brohm is a huge loss in terms of what he can accomplish with a given set of resources. But try convincing the average U of L fan of that, most of whom think this is one of the darkest days in recent memory.

Tyra's sitting in front of all of the controls. I don't wanna hear one thing is his responsibility, but another is not. I like to remind folks that Tyra wasn't standing in front of TV cameras on his first day with a gun to his head. He owned the job and everything it includes from that day forward. In this case, if he couldn't finish the job right, he should have never started it. Maybe Tyra should have negotiated a million or two off of that buyout and given it to Brohm. We might not be having this discussion...
How was Tyra going to negotiate a buyout that was guaranteed down? Beg? "Oh pretty please Bobby, just take a $3 million a year from us instead of the $4.75 we are contractually obligated to provide"

You know what you're right Bobby and his agent would have completely understood, we know Bobby is such a selfless man.

Fine, but you still haven’t elaborated on why Bobby would take less.
What's not to understand? There was ambiguity in his contract language that created a legit negotiating point. "Vince" didn't exploit that. You need to ask him why.
How was Tyra going to negotiate a buyout that was guaranteed down? Beg? "Oh pretty please Bobby, just take a $3 million a year from us instead of the $4.75 we are contractually obligated to provide"

You know what you're right Bobby and his agent would have completely understood, we know Bobby is such a selfless man.
Maybe you guys should actually read Petrino's contract so that you know what you're talking about...

So in other words, it’s like TMobile allowing customers to pay for an expensive phone over time. How convenient.

Zipp you are a moron. Stop embarrassing yourself. Bobby was owed 14 large by YOUR AD and you want to blame Vince. Just ignorant beyond words.
So in other words, it’s like TMobile allowing customers to pay for an expensive phone over time. How convenient.
I'm not sure whether you're being purposefully dense or don't understand the time value of money. The latter explains why you take less money today than more money in the future. If that's beyond your understanding, we can't have much of a debate...

I'm not sure whether you're being purposefully dense or don't understand the time value of money. The latter explains why you take less money today than more money in the future. If that's beyond your understanding, we can't have much of a debate...

No, only you can understand such a difficult concept. Do you have any idea how Tyra agreed to pay the 14 million? It will be paid in installments through 2021, so Stop acting like he was handed a lump sum.And in your calculations that account for the time value of money, at what number was the university getting severely short-changed in the agreed upon terms that I assume you knew not of? Furthermore, do you think Petrino’s representation just might have had the upper hand based on TJs inane deal?The only financial acumen worth questioning here is yours and your boyfriend’s (Tom Jurich).

Last edited:
Reactions: Art79
Sure the whole point of time value of money is that the $ amounts are the same, so paying Petrino $12 million immediately is the same as paying him $14 over the next 3 years. The same means that doesnt save any money.

Sure the whole point of time value of money is that the $ amounts are the same, so paying Petrino $12 million immediately is the same as paying him $14 over the next 3 years. The same means that doesnt save any money.
Guys, we’re talking about more money than most of us will ever see. The point is the Bobby will be cashing large UofL checks for several years after destroying the football program. Whatever the merits of hiring him back, the extension under these terms is hard to understand. Five years from now we will be clear of everything- 2-10, the NCAA, the FBI, skankgate....it will all seem like a distant painful nightmare, and we will be back to bowl games, tournaments, and kicking LPT’s a$$. Persevere!

Reactions: Hold Me Back
No, the time value of money means that you pay the guy less money earlier than you would by delaying. To save a few million, I would have offered Petrino an earlier settlement. Or I would have extended the payments beyond three years to help my cash flow. Whichever helps me the most financially. Petrino's contract doesn't prevent me from doing that or making that interpretation.

Instead "Vince" simply paid Petrino 100% of his salary for the next three years plus the APR incentives. Again, I expected a good AD to do more, or at least try...

Brohm is the bad ass we needed and his worth is whatever he could’ve brought in for excitement and additional revenue. It’s hard to get excited for a Sun Belt coach.

I wanna how smart we were banking that million next year at Xmas time...

When the process started and Petrino was still the coach, I said it was "dumb" to spend the millions that Tyra has now spent and planned to spend paying Brohm a $5 million salary.

Once he got to that point, it was just as "dumb" not spending the extra million to actually seal the deal.

This maybe the dumbest argument I’ve ever seen. Tyra had to offer him more than his currently salary, but I’m sure Tyra, being the fiscal genius that he is, put a cap on what we offered. So what if we offered 6 then Purdue said 6.5? You are just not being rational. Tyra gave Jeff a number that would have still made Jeff one of the highest paid coaches, even though Jeff’s recent success may not have warranted it. He knew if Jeff didn’t take it then he really didn’t want to be here. It was the perfect number to offer, not going one million higher told Tyra everything he needed to know about Jeff.

Reactions: Boilerpointe81
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT