ADVERTISEMENT

No Divisions

One point being made is nc state and dukes proximity but only play once every six years.

Another point is Clemson would have been left out of one title game in the past ten years but would have gained two others for a net gain of one title game appearance.

don't think it'll happen. pretty sure you are going to see the conferences have two divisions and the title game winner is one of 5 guaranteed spots in the playoff then there will be 3 at large bids. although i am leaning towards what rick neuheisal says in going to 12 games with the top 4 teams getting a buy as a reward for great season.

best reason to go to 8 teams and actually 12 is currently most players never get a chance to play in title playoff unless you go to a certain few schools which means all the best athletes go to those schools. which means those schools continue to be the only ones going to the playoff. the reality is the playoff has further concentrated the talent to a few schools. opening up and allowing every conference title winner to be in the playoff means any kid can go to any school in nay conference and have a chance to play for a championship. currently not so.

I live in South Carolina and they’re talking on the radio today about the possibility of the ACC going to no divisions and playing a rotating schedule in the future, with two best records playing in title game.
What if the best record is 9-0 and the second best is 7-2? What if one of the losses was to the 9-0 team. Now they play again and the 7-2 team wins in the title game. The now 9-1 team still has a one game lead over the “champ” and beat them during the regular season. How is that right or fair?

Bah, I like the divisions. Playing Clemson and FSU in football every year is cool. Replacing them with Duke and UNC, not so much.

What if the best record is 9-0 and the second best is 7-2? What if one of the losses was to the 9-0 team. Now they play again and the 7-2 team wins in the title game. The now 9-1 team still has a one game lead over the “champ” and beat them during the regular season. How is that right or fair?
2011-2012. BCS title game was a rematch between LSU and Alabama. Oregon and Oklahoma State were left out. I’m not saying it was right. Just saying.

Frankly, all of the conferences should go 0 divisions. It just makes more sense. In a 14-team league you play 3 teams annually, and the other 10 teams twice every 4 years. Yes, we would see FSU and Clemson less often, but we would see VPI, GIT, and Miami more often than once every epoch. We are in a conference together; we should all face each other at least twice per 4 years.

As a side note, if the Playoffs were to expand to 8 and give automatic berths to 6 conference champions, I could see the 2 at-large spots reserved for highly-ranked teams that tied for a spot in the CCG, but the tiebreaker kept them out. If no teams, or only one team, meets this criteria, then the other spot (or spots) would go to G5 conference champion(s).

Frankly, all of the conferences should go 0 divisions. It just makes more sense. In a 14-team league you play 3 teams annually, and the other 10 teams twice every 4 years. Yes, we would see FSU and Clemson less often, but we would see VPI, GIT, and Miami more often than once every epoch. We are in a conference together; we should all face each other at least twice per 4 years.

As a side note, if the Playoffs were to expand to 8 and give automatic berths to 6 conference champions, I could see the 2 at-large spots reserved for highly-ranked teams that tied for a spot in the CCG, but the tiebreaker kept them out. If no teams, or only one team, meets this criteria, then the other spot (or spots) would go to G5 conference champion(s).

The fact we still haven’t played VT is just dumb. ACC scheduling needs to be fixed. It doesn’t even feel like we’re in the same conference, football wise, with teams from the coastal.

Reactions: STLNBSE
2011-2012. BCS title game was a rematch between LSU and Alabama. Oregon and Oklahoma State were left out. I’m not saying it was right. Just saying.
I guess my point is that the top 2 teams doesn’t make sense in this scenario. One team has already demonstrated the championship credentials and still had a one game lead after losing the “title” game. The real answer is more, smaller conferences so everyone plays each other. No title game. That’s not likely to happen, and if it did we would likely get relegated out of the ACC. I would prefer geographic divisions (better for rivalries) and 9 game conference schedules.

Boston UNC
Pitt (which sucks). NCSU
UofL. Dook
Virginia. FSU
VPI& SU. Clemson
Syracuse. Miami
Wake. GT

We would get everybody in the “South” division in a three year period. Looks out of balance now, but things change over time. We would NOT get FSU AND Clem every year, which would be an issue for a lot of our fans.
3 non conference could be LPT, a school from another P5, and FCS.

The Coastal played against each other all year and the best they could produce is 7-5 (now 7-6) Pitt. I'd love to play Miami more but not if it means having to play the rest of those teams more often. It's bad enough we're stuck playing Virginia every year.

The Coastal played against each other all year and the best they could produce is 7-5 (now 7-6) Pitt. I'd love to play Miami more but not if it means having to play the rest of those teams more often. It's bad enough we're stuck playing Virginia every year.

Yeah, but that’s the thing, Marbles. We wouldn’t be stuck playing Virginia every year under no divisions. We would only play our 3 designated rivals yearly. Virginia would not be one of them.

Actually, if Notre Dame were to be forced to join for football by a new playoff format, I can see the Irish requesting a 7 game league schedule. That means everyone plays the other 14 teams twice every 4 years with no permanent games. With the extra game of flexibility, longtime annual rivalries can be scheduled as “out of conference” during off rotation years, meaning a win or loss does not count on your league standing that year. (UVA vs UNC, Clemson vs NC State, for example)

A conference championship game should not be a rematch of regular season game. I believe conferences expanded too much, now it's coming back to haunt them. I never liked conference championship games when they first started. When Pittsburgh is in ACC title game, something is wrong somewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT