ADVERTISEMENT

No college football until spring

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
Appears that Big 10 will announce tomorrow and then it’s likely other P5 follow in next few days.

It appears the only football we see this fall is on YouTube. I just don't see how you can play football starting in January. It would be brutal playing football in Notre Dame Stadium in early January through late March. I would think the northern schools would have a huge advantage over the southern schools when the games are played in the fridge North.

Gonna miss some great players. Not many kids that think they will be drafted will play....too much danger of injury and 4 months less heal up time.

I would think the northern schools would have a huge advantage over the southern schools when the games are played in the fridge North.
but at the same time when the northern schools travel to the south to play in the hotter temps and humidity they cramp up and tire out much quicker as they've been sued to the cold. easier to put on warmer clothes than it is to hydrate and not over sweat so i think it can balance itself out some.

There's scuttlebutt about the ACC, Big 12, and the SEC coordinating some kind of arrangement. The Big 10 and PAC 12 are likely calling the fall football season off.

No one cares about Worshington football anyway, so the P12 can do whatever it wants. The only surprise here is that the P12 wasn't the first to do this. A smaller group playing may actually improve the product but not watering it down......Shoot, if I'm the sports networks I'm actually relieved, the product isn't spread so thin and they can show more games that people actually care about.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
If the season is cancelled, it is no college football until next Fall. Playing in the Spring is about the worst idea ever. Then you ruin not only 1, but 2 seasons because the players won't be ready for the Fall after a Spring season.

It's astonishing to me the lack of leadership from the NCAA about all this. "Sure, we are the governing body of collegiate athletics, but you guys figure this out."

The #wewanttoplay seems to be resonating. I’ve thought for weeks now that college football wouldn’t happen, but then when I consider that campuses are reopening, I’m not sure that playing football adds much additional risk. If you shutdown campuses then of course there’s no football.

Overall I’m frustrated that this all could’ve been mitigated if many people hadn’t been such jackwads about simple measures and had learned a little bit about sacrifice.

How are universities in places like Wisconsin, Michigan, and other extreme Northern sites going to play football in January or February? Even Louisville can get some frigid winter conditions. Does not seem realistic.

How are universities in places like Wisconsin, Michigan, and other extreme Northern sites going to play football in January or February? Even Louisville can get some frigid winter conditions. Does not seem realistic.

It's just weather. Football players play in all kinds of climates.

NFL plays in Green Bay, Chicago and Minneapolis in January (well maybe not Chicago)

Maybe he whole season get pushed back and there’s no conferences, but rather pods with the closest teams?

SEC and ACC have 14 and the Big 12 has 10? That’s 34 teams, play the closest teams in your area & then have other close or Non-conference games to figure it out?

UVA, VT, BC, CUSE, Pitt, UK, UL

UT, Vandy, UNC, DUKE, Wake, NC State, SC, Clemson

Florida, FSU, Miami, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Auburn, Alabama

Miss, Miss State, LSU, Arkansas, Texas, TCU, Tex Tech

Mizzou, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Ok State

Fun options forsure.

Maybe he whole season get pushed back and there’s no conferences, but rather pods with the closest teams?

SEC and ACC have 14 and the Big 12 has 10? That’s 34 teams, play the closest teams in your area & then have other close or Non-conference games to figure it out?

UVA, VT, BC, CUSE, Pitt, UK, UL

UT, Vandy, UNC, DUKE, Wake, NC State, SC, Clemson

Florida, FSU, Miami, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Auburn, Alabama

Miss, Miss State, LSU, Arkansas, Texas, TCU, Tex Tech

Mizzou, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Ok State

Fun options forsure.
Sounds great in theory but the Conferences would never agree on how to split the TV revenue.

Reactions: Morgantown Card
Shot across the Big Ten leadership’s bow by Scott Frost of Nebraska ... “we’re prepared to look at any and all options” for playing football this fall.

It’s the first I’ve heard of any coach talking about playing outside their conference.

Reactions: Morgantown Card
Basically, the large majority of B10 Presidents are in favor of postponing or canceling the season, but what they decided to do first was leak that idea to the press, so they could gauge reaction from parents, players, coaches, VIPs, etc. Smart to hear all sides before making a final decision.

Nebraska and Iowa voted to play. Rumors are floating that the SEC, ACC, BIG12 are still willing to go.
One rumor that sounds plausible is that the SEC is going to be a final holdout, and someway try to get teams from other conferences to work some sort of makeshift schedule to start a super conference.

Most plausible thought is the Big 12...namely Texas and Oklahoma, is the key. If you get 3 of five with the ACC, SEC and Big 12 there may be football.

I was channel surfing and stopped at ESPN when they were talking about this. I was reading the bottom of the screen and most of the athletes from multiple schools including Louisville said they feel safer at football practice than they do at home.

Interesting talk about player safety yesterday. At school, in the SEC players players are tested twice a week, full med staff on hand, and more or less around the same people. Go home and you have a hundred alpha males hanging with their crews. Probably half these kids wouldn't be in college except for sports, and there are a few that are from some really tough environments. It's doubtful they would have a place where they would be checked continually, and the majority wouldn't have access to speedy test results.

heard a great point, if they play football without students on campus then players are essentially employees, not students, and should be paid and protected as such. otherwise, if classes aren't going on for the rest of the students, then all athletes must be employees then, must be paid, can unionize, and get federal protections. ncaa will never allow that to happen so they have to postpone the season until kids return to campus. all college sports will not exist until 95% of the country is wearing a mask everywhere

but honestly, most athletes will be safer on campus in a mini bubble than at home but if the rest of the students are not at school, then athletes are not students anymore

Think about this. A majority of people cannot even get tested for COVID-19 but yet we are going to test college football players twice a week just so they can play football... I understand football careers are at stake for some but guys like Trevor Lawrence will play professionally. In terms of overall numbers, the number of players who miss out 1 season of football is low compared to the number of people affected and who have died. I didn’t think I could survive without football but how many people worry about contracting COVID and it’s potential for long term effects. Two weeks ago we said kids/young adults weren’t getting affected. Now there’s a 90% increase with kids 1-5 being likely to have the highest rate of infection and spreading of germs.

I'm OK with it. I mean everyone is 'all in' on how serious this virus is although we've had others in our recent history which were just as serious and there wasn't this type of reaction. I know, I know, this one is different because there is no vaccine.

People in powerful positions are scared of lawsuits. If they allow the kids to play and someone gets sick and dies then someone will file a lawsuit.

Easy solution - Let them play if they want to, and ask them to sign something which states they're playing at their own risk regarding this virus and won't be allowed to sue. Problem solved.

Easy solution - Let them play if they want to, and ask them to sign something which states they're playing at their own risk regarding this virus and won't be allowed to sue. Problem solved.
yes in theory but these are 18, 19 and 20 year old kids and you expect them to understand a possible life and death situation? and i'm sure any good lawyer would invalidate anything they sign. they are under pressure from the schools. in essence, they are being coerced. never would hold up in court and thus ncaa and schools can be sued no matter what anyone signs. btw, we are over 150,000 virus deaths now (for people who believe one side is over-inflating the numbers, the other side is undercounting them so it balances out), flu only took 55000 last year. and we are only 6 months into virus. just wait until it morphs with the flu virus in the fall and creates something new

Reactions: nccardfan
yes in theory but these are 18, 19 and 20 year old kids and you expect them to understand a possible life and death situation? and i'm sure any good lawyer would invalidate anything they sign. they are under pressure from the schools. in essence, they are being coerced. never would hold up in court and thus ncaa and schools can be sued no matter what anyone signs. btw, we are over 150,000 virus deaths now (for people who believe one side is over-inflating the numbers, the other side is undercounting them so it balances out), flu only took 55000 last year. and we are only 6 months into virus. just wait until it morphs with the flu virus in the fall and creates something new

Yep...pretty much every lawyer asked about waivers have said that they would t be worth the paper they are written on

Which is why sports is all but dead until a proven vaccine is available for everyone to take. B1G killed it today along with the B12. Only a matter of time now before it's official.

Reactions: glassmanJ
Finally someone who gets it.

Reactions: glassmanJ
All these colleges will have students. They may do all, or a majority of their work online, but these athletes will be student athletes.

It will be interesting to see what happens. ACC,SEC, and Big 12 may decide it's not worth it. But i can see them wanting to play. 2 teams of healthy young athletes that have been tested right before playing, taking the field outdoors and playing football would seem to be about as safe as any activity that a person could do......safer than going to the grocery.

Reactions: gocds
All these colleges will have students. They may do all, or a majority of their work online, but these athletes will be student athletes.

It will be interesting to see what happens. ACC,SEC, and Big 12 may decide it's not worth it. But i can see them wanting to play. 2 teams of healthy young athletes that have been tested right before playing, taking the field outdoors and playing football would seem to be about as safe as any activity that a person could do......safer than going to the grocery.
and yet, if anyone of the 300 people in the football field (over 100 athletes and at least 50 training and coaching staff per side), if even one single person gets sick and either dies or has permanent lasting side effect, the the schools will be sued into oblivion for not protecting athletes during a known pandemic when they knew the risks and when other smarter schools shut down sports. imagine going to court and a judge simply asking, didn't you read all the recommendations by the CDC before you began to play? and then the hammer will drop and the schools will go broke in losing the lawsuit. and with testing, just because you are negative today doens't mean you are not tomorrow. and btw, we are doing all t his testing for athletes and they get quick results while as a citizen it just took five days for my wife and son to get results.

and btw, at the grocery, i don't ever recall trying to ram my cart head on into another cart while grunting, spitting and huffing particles of exhaled breath all over the opponent, then tackling them, lying on top of them, breathing heavy into their faces, yelling at them, and then doing that another 70 times in the next three hours. i guess you must shop somewhere different than me

Reactions: vivid_red
That’s not even all of it. We’re asking players, coaches, staff, officials, tv crew to take a chance on getting COVID or at least spreading it to a family member for the sake of playing a game for entertainment. Is it worth it if we got to watch a college game and found out that even a small number of players, coaches, officials get COVID and have a serious outcome? How many is acceptable. Plus these guys aren’t in a bubble. They have to travel to games somehow. Put 80 football players on a plane or bus? Go through airports, hotels, restaurants??

Lucky for these kids they are athletes who are getting all this attention and being taken care of. The ones who have tested positive were positive from being at home and they got tested when they came back to campus. Most of them said they feel safer on campus than they do at home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT