ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Petrino Hired

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
It was announced that Nick Petrino has been hired as a running back coach at UT-Martin. As it stands, two members of CBP’s final staff have landed P5 jobs (UNC and Rutgers) and two are still unemployed. The rest are at lower level programs.

It was announced that Nick Petrino has been hired as a running back coach at UT-Martin. As it stands, two members of CBP’s final staff have landed P5 jobs (UNC and Rutgers) and two are still unemployed. The rest are at lower level programs.

Wonder how long he’ll last. At least he’s starting at a level he should be.

I have no doubt he will impart all of his vast running back knowledge on UT-Martin’s players and in no time, will take one of them all the way to the Heismann trophy just like he backpacked LJ to the win.

This really puts me in a bad spot. Who to pull for when UT Martin visits the kitties the last game??? I’ll pull for UT Martin I guess, but that will be the only game I hope they win!!!

Somebody owes somebody a favor. Nick was a QB in HS. He must have sold somebody on that he had something to do with LJ’s running..

So another member of the world's worst coaching staff ends up not missing a paycheck. And this guy supposedly the WORST of the lot.

By the way, he's also co-offensive coordinator...let's not undersell him.

Just like Mike Summers was gonna rescue the offensive line and anyone's better that Todd Grantham and Peter Sirmon. We know a LOT about football around here...

7mPF.gif

So another member of the world's worst coaching staff ends up not missing a paycheck. And this guy supposedly the WORST of the lot.

Just like Mike Summers was gonna rescue the offensive line and anyone's better that Todd Grantham and Peter Sirmon. We know a LOT about football around here...

7mPF.gif

Have you ever thought of becoming a fan of another university? I mean really who in their right mind would defend a 2-10 season?

Reactions: PHCARD

7mPF.gif

And is that you kissing CBP a$$? Just wondering?

Have you ever thought of becoming a fan of another university? I mean really who in their right mind would defend a 2-10 season?
Where in there did I defend a 2-10 record?
I'm wondering what that has to do with his son getting a Div. 1 OC job a few months after he lost his job here?...

It wasn’t the world’s worst coaching staff. It was a really bad P5 staff that was dramatically overpaid. The QB coach from Louisville having to land at a really bad FCS program (they were 2-9 last year) is only further proof. That being said I wish Nick the best of luck as he steps away from his dad’s shadow.

It wasn’t the world’s worst coaching staff. It was a really bad P5 staff that was dramatically overpaid. The QB coach from Louisville having to land at a really bad FCS program (they were 2-9 last year) is only further proof. That being said I wish Nick the best of luck as he steps away from his dad’s shadow.
You're morphing the narrative or again claiming it wasn't your narrative.

Doesn't matter. All of these former coaches have proven in spades that they were deserving of assistant coaching positions, or they wouldn't have been rehired this quickly.

It was simply a way for some U of L fans to convince themselves they had the right solution to the problem. You really don't know. Your new staff keeps losing roster players and is getting commitments and interest from even lower rated recruits...

Doesn't matter. All of these former coaches have proven in spades that they were deserving of assistant coaching positions, or they wouldn't have been rehired this quickly.

It was simply a way for some U of L fans to convince themselves they had the right solution to the problem. You really don't know. Your new staff keeps losing roster players and is getting commitments and interest from even lower rated recruits...

You are hilarious...but your resilience is almost endearing.

My narrative was that the staff wasn’t ACC quality and was overpaid. The assistant coaching jobs they have landed is validation of my narrative. The fact that this crew was coaching at an ACC school was bad but to top it off they were one of the highest paid staff’s in the league. Ridiculous!

And if you want to comment on the new staff I suggest you create a new thread.

Where in there did I defend a 2-10 record?
I'm wondering what that has to do with his son getting a Div. 1 OC job a few months after he lost his job here?...

Ok both comments were extreme, but I think that whole staff earned all the criticism they got along with the firing. And no way did little Petrino earned a P5 job. Will see how he does, but he’s where he should be. And if anything his hiring proved he was over is head before since no P5 school picked him up.

My narrative was that the staff wasn’t ACC quality and was overpaid. The assistant coaching jobs they have landed is validation of my narrative. The fact that this crew was coaching at an ACC school was bad but to top it off they were one of the highest paid staff’s in the league. Ridiculous!

I don't give a damn how "endeared" you are--be assured that's not my intention.

You CLAIM a nuanced narrative that no one BUT you remembers. What the rest of us recall are bold, unqualified statements that our prior coaches were unfit for their jobs and couldn't get jobs elsewhere in football. History is showing otherwise. For crissakes--Nick Petrino, offensive coordinator!

And even if I accept your after-the-fact narrative, you haven't been "validated" of anything. Coaches who were just pink-slipped landing football jobs this quickly is hardly validation of any over-the-top criticism. I'm glad all of these guys are moving on instead of getting bogged down in the aftermath of the hate that the haters in our fanbase have become too good at...

You CLAIM a nuanced narrative that no one BUT you remembers. What the rest of us recall are bold, unqualified statements that our prior coaches were unfit for their jobs and couldn't get jobs elsewhere in football. History is showing otherwise. For crissakes--Nick Petrino, offensive coordinator!

And even if I accept your after-the-fact narrative, you haven't been "validated" of anything. Coaches who were just pink-slipped landing football jobs this quickly is hardly validation of any over-the-top criticism. I'm glad all of these guys are moving on instead of getting bogged down in the aftermath of the hate that the haters in our fanbase have become too good at...

2-10 that’s all anyone needs to hear. A rational person would understand that a program doesn’t go from 8-4 to 2-10 in a season. That just doesn’t happen in a healthy program. You can try to peddle your narrative but no rational person will buy it. No one.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
2-10 that’s all anyone needs to hear. A rational person would understand that a program doesn’t go from 8-4 to 2-10 in a season. That just doesn’t happen in a healthy program. You can try to peddle your narrative but no rational person will buy it. No one.
No one's gonna similarly buy that successful coaches suddenly go in the dumpster. There are reasons that oversimplified hate narratives miss entirely. And intentionally...

So were you against Bobby’s termination? Were you against Satterfield’s hiring?

7mPF.gif

He really showed us. He went from a P5 school with a 100 million dollar athletic budget to a mid level FCS team.

Reactions: BPGhost

You think we should have kept trying to win the Acc with UT martin's offensive coordinator?

Do you believe that Petrino and staff were going to turn it around?

No one's gonna similarly buy that successful coaches suddenly go in the dumpster. There are reasons that oversimplified hate narratives miss entirely. And intentionally...

I don’t hate any of them. I was a CBP supporter the first time and his return. I don’t understand what occurred and who knows if we will. I do believe that as a collection it wasn’t the most qualified coaches for here or to work within CBP system. Nick P. that’s entirely different matter as I have a first hand account of him. And he most certainly didn’t earn that position through the normal means, but don’t wish him any ill will. Nick is right where he belongs and if he is a good coach in his own right he’ll develop and move up as he should. I’m personally glad their gone, because there was no recovering with that staff from that nose dive. As far as them getting jobs, no shock most are young and had connections and coaching is a small fraternity, most will get a pass as the crash is owned entirely by CBP. And I haven’t seen anyone hire him and I doubt that occurs anytime soon.

Except when the successful HC has never proven that any of his programs could maintain success beyond 4 years.

And that, is neither oversimplified or hate, just facts.

He really showed us. He went from a P5 school with a 100 million dollar athletic budget to a mid level FCS team.
Adopting knuckles' narrative... :p
You think we should have kept trying to win the Acc with UT martin's offensive coordinator?
I think many of the posters here don't know jack about coaching and cause-and-effect.
Do you believe that Petrino and staff were going to turn it around?
Irrelevant to the discussion...

Except when the successful HC has never proven that any of his programs could maintain success beyond 4 years.

And that, is neither oversimplified or hate, just facts.
That's perhaps a discussion for a different thread. Has nothing to do with these coaches almost immediately getting new coaching jobs...

Last edited:
That's perhaps a discussion for a different thread. Has nothing to do with these coaches almost immediately getting new coaching jobs...

Nick Petrino was making $200k/yr at Louisville. He is now in a position that pays around $48k/yr. However despite making 1/4 of his prior salary...that is better than BVG. He was making nearly $1.0M/yr at Louisville. He accepted a position that pays in the $150k/yr range.

Nick Petrino was making $200k/yr at Louisville. He is now in a position that pays around $48k/yr. However despite making 1/4 of his prior salary...that is better than BVG. He was making nearly $1.0M/yr at Louisville. He accepted a position that pays in the $150k/yr range.
So now is the argument "won't make as much money within 90 days"?

oWUuoMf.gif

No, it’s germane to this thread as a rebuttal to your assertion that successful coaches don’t simply go into the dumpster. The historical record indicates that Petrino’s programs do indeed go suddenly into the dumpster. It only makes sense that similar P5 programs would be wary of hiring coaches from his programs into comparable positions with comparable compensation.

And so they don’t - which speaks directly to KH’s original statement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT