ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Holt

Purdue and WKU fans seem to love him everyone else says he's inconsistent. What's the deal with him?
Took an awful defense that Hazell left him and I think it had one of the biggest changes in points per game from the year before.

Lost something like 10 of the top 13 tacklers off of that team coming into this year and while it started off a little rocky it really stepped up after Missouri. Before we got run off the field against Minnesota the announcers commented that Purdue actual had the top red zone defense in the conference this year. I doubt that is still the case now but it was impressive just to hear considering how young and inexperienced the group is.

He coached at USC with Pete Carroll so he has a good history coaching. We really like him at Purdue

Last edited:
Reactions: cardfan16
Took an awful defense that Hazell left him and I think it had one of the biggest changes in points per game from the year before.

Lost something like 10 of the top 13 tacklers off of that team coming into this year and while it started off a little rocky it really stepped up after Missouri. Before we got run off the field against Minnesota the announcers commented that purse actual had the top red zone defense in the conference this year. I doubt that is still the case now but it was impressive just to hear considering how young and inexperienced the group is.

He coached at USC with Pete Carroll so he has a good history coaching. We really like him at Purdue
Interesting. Thanks for the reply

Reactions: OhioBoiler51
I will go out on a limb and make this declaration.....

Nick Holt would be a better defensive coordinator than Peter Sirmon or Brian Van Gorder.

If Nick Holt makes it to Louisville with a pulse he's already the best DC we've had in 3 years.

Reactions: wilkie01
Purdue and WKU fans seem to love him everyone else says he's inconsistent. What's the deal with him?

Really a pretty good DC. Good resume.

Purdue was an unmitigated disaster on defense when he took over. Great improvement in ppg in fist year, want to say it was overall in top half of the BT.

Lost a lot of starters from last years team. Almost all of them. He has taken some heat this year for playing soft coverage and no pass rush. That is not reality as he mixes up coverages and blitzes. Also, part of the softer coverage played is due to the train wreck talent wise the previous staff left. Purdue is caught playing many inexperienced freshman/sophomores that try and work hard but are limited athletically and have missed assignments as younger players will.

Still in losses this year:
-Purdue held NW scoreless in second half
- gave up 20 points to EMU and turned them over deep in their territory late and provided offense great opportunity to seal game
-Gave up 16 points to MSU through 58 minutes until a late meaningless td
-MN was a poor game. Even then in first half Purdue was still in it 13-3, forced a turnover. Offense did nothing and defense caved in 2nd half

Missouri, the lack of pass rush and good dbs showed versus their pass happy attack.

If Brohm moves on to Louisville I think he is your new DC. Only reservation I have not making it 100% is he is from out west, and he did have offers out there for DC positions after last year.

Yeah I have absolutely no issues with Nick Holt coming if Jeff accepts the job. I read an article that said Purdue had the worst roster in the P5 when they took over and while the D hasn't been outstanding I think they're obviously getting better.

If Nick Holt is Louisville DC, then happy days will be here again!

80382754.jpg

Really a pretty good DC. Good resume.

Purdue was an unmitigated disaster on defense when he took over. Great improvement in ppg in fist year, want to say it was overall in top half of the BT.

Lost a lot of starters from last years team. Almost all of them. He has taken some heat this year for playing soft coverage and no pass rush. That is not reality as he mixes up coverages and blitzes. Also, part of the softer coverage played is due to the train wreck talent wise the previous staff left. Purdue is caught playing many inexperienced freshman/sophomores that try and work hard but are limited athletically and have missed assignments as younger players will.

Still in losses this year:
-Purdue held NW scoreless in second half
- gave up 20 points to EMU and turned them over deep in their territory late and provided offense great opportunity to seal game
-Gave up 16 points to MSU through 58 minutes until a late meaningless td
-MN was a poor game. Even then in first half Purdue was still in it 13-3, forced a turnover. Offense did nothing and defense caved in 2nd half

Missouri, the lack of pass rush and good dbs showed versus their pass happy attack.

If Brohm moves on to Louisville I think he is your new DC. Only reservation I have not making it 100% is he is from out west, and he did have offers out there for DC positions after last year.
Holt has been at Louisville before.

He will have plenty of playing time to offer recruits that is for sure. Better load up on defense with what's remaining scholarship wise.

If Brohm comes here, I'll just predict now that U of L fans will be calling for Nick Holt's head by the end of Year One, if not sooner...

I will go out on a limb and make this declaration.....

Nick Holt would be a better defensive coordinator than Peter Sirmon or Brian Van Gorder.

If Nick Holt makes it to Louisville with a pulse he's already the best DC we've had in 3 years.
I think that pretty well covers the Cards' DC situation.

Peace

Reactions: EKYCard643
it is very hard to determine if he is a good coordinator. He hasn't had a ton of talent at WKU or Purdue. Purdue 1st year the defense was ahead of Brohm's offense. Kicker it was full of veterans ready for a change. Buy in was high. They were a pretty good defense. Lose 8 starters and now they don't look good. We all tend to think freshman/Juco's can make immediate impact, but at Purdue or Louisville that is a problem.

Zipp is right he was get torched here next year because I don't think this is a quick turnaround at all. They have zero speed on the edge. They have to play undersized guys on the Dline. The LB are small and corners can't cover for any period of time. The only way to fix this mess is with time and recruiting. He will immediately improve the defense, but it won't be a good defense. They have to fix the DLine depth and speed.

Reactions: Mayoman
it is very hard to determine if he is a good coordinator. He hasn't had a ton of talent at WKU or Purdue. Purdue 1st year the defense was ahead of Brohm's offense. Kicker it was full of veterans ready for a change. Buy in was high. They were a pretty good defense. Lose 8 starters and now they don't look good. We all tend to think freshman/Juco's can make immediate impact, but at Purdue or Louisville that is a problem.

Zipp is right he was get torched here next year because I don't think this is a quick turnaround at all. They have zero speed on the edge. They have to play undersized guys on the Dline. The LB are small and corners can't cover for any period of time. The only way to fix this mess is with time and recruiting. He will immediately improve the defense, but it won't be a good defense. They have to fix the DLine depth and speed.

Good post Cycle. That is my assessment in watching both Purdue UL defenses this year. The difference is Purdue appears to play hard until beaten down while UL at some positions never appears to be in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT