ADVERTISEMENT

Next coach???

ShortCreek

Three-Star Poster
Jul 17, 2008
I’ll paint the scenario, we have a good season but the head coaching position is still opened up. Who do you want? Here’s my top-10 dream list, not saying all are attainable.

*Brad Stevens (swinging for the fence)
*Billy Donovan (Paul George & Co doesn’t work)
*Gregg Marshall (time for the move up)
*Chris Mack (makes the trip down I-71)
*Mike Brey (same conf/different uni)
*Mark Few (solid, consistent)
*Shaka Smart (recruiting well @ Texas, but playing second fiddle to the pigskin)
*Ben Jacobson (up and comer)
*Chris Collins (decent success at traditional doormat)
*Buzz Williams (new GQ look or shave the head again?)

Let’s hear your names?

Last edited:
I’ll paint the scenario, we have a good season but the head coaching position is still opened up. Who do you want? Here’s my top-10 dream list, not saying all are attainable.

*Shaka Smart (recruiting well @ Texas, but playing second fiddle to the pigskin)

Let’s hear your names?
Cronin

I would add Scotty D to the list with the first 7 you have listed (less Brey).

These are all guys to me that you consider or look at when the smoke clears. Donovan has always been who I thought would be the best fit for Louisville. Donovan and Stevens are long shots at this point for obvious reasons. You can make an argument that they are all long shots.

Let's see how the season plays out with David P.

Stevens and Donovan are pipe dreams, but these would be the only two I would consider over Padgett.

Let’s hear your names?

John Gruden. Of course.

1 Padgett
2 Donovan
3 Smart
4 Mack.

Thats it for me.
It all depends on the NCAA and the UofL board of a##holes.

I would love for it to work out for DP, but he's up against some strong competition. Marshall, for one, has apparently already expressed interest.

Reactions: arizan
IMO the program has risen above the need to hire a completely unproven coach and recruiter - so Padgett is off any list. At one point I think Donovan would have come here when pitino retired but at this point, that is a pipe dream. Getting him would take a the type of big time leadership and ability to get things of that magnitude done that was lost when they canned Jurich. Plus, he’s super loyal to pitino and won’t come here based on the way that situation was handled.

There’s a lot of time between now and then of the season - need to see where this fbi investigation goes before making any decisions.

IMO the program has risen above the need to hire a completely unproven coach and recruiter - so Padgett is off any list. At one point I think Donovan would have come here when pitino retired but at this point, that is a pipe dream. Getting him would take a the type of big time leadership and ability to get things of that magnitude done that was lost when they canned Jurich. Plus, he’s super loyal to pitino and won’t come here based on the way that situation was handled.

There’s a lot of time between now and then of the season - need to see where this fbi investigation goes before making any decisions.
So far what I've seen from coach Padgett, I like. He lets the frosh play thru mistakes instead of yanking them immediately like Pitino would do. That's refreshing IMO and the players have responded to that positive approach. I know he isn't 'proven', and I do agree that a program of UofL's stature doesn't have to settle, but I really feel Padgett deserves a serious shot at the job full time. He's young enough to relate to the kids, yet old enough to be responsible for the program as the head guy. His potential as a head coach is off the charts high IMO. His dad was a coach. He got to learn from Pitino for a few years, and he was smart enough to hire an assistant with good coaching pedigree. So far he's done a great job IMO.

I have nothing against Padgett, but his chances are 5% or less. He hasn’t beaten anyone yet and he has not earned this job, it’s currently just been laid in his lap.

Plus, the one factor you must consider over all others - RECRUITING. He’s big-time unproven as a recruiter. We must get a proven recruiter or we’ll be getting our ass handed to us for 4-8 years, that cannot happen!

I think it would be best that the permanent head coach be from a different tree than the Pitino coaching tree. I’m confident we will get a top line coach because we are and will continue to be a top 5 job.

With probation coming, we definitely won't be a sexy job as we will be in 4-5 years when this all ends. I say we ride with Padgett and 1 or 2 things happen.

1. If Padgett is not good, we can use the excuse of probation to keep him until we get the coach we want. We won't have to hire some Crean level guy we don't want and be stuck with them. Padgett can be expendable at any time while we wait for the RIGHT guy.

2. Padgett succeeds and point 1 does not matter.

Reactions: Guy Gadbois
I think it would be best that the permanent head coach be from a different tree than the Pitino coaching tree. I’m confident we will get a top line coach because we are and will continue to be a top 5 job.
I don’t necessarily consider CDP as part of CRP’s coaching tree although he played for him two seasons. He also played for Bill self but his biggest coaching influence has been his dad.

Reactions: Cue Card
It's your fiction, a reality you conjured to suit your agenda.

No, and I'm not a Card hater, just trust national media more than any message board. Even the CJ is more reputable than any message board.

P.S. Any resident tax payer has the right to know the truth regardless of team affiilation.

Reactions: awf and Kentucky31
...Even the CJ is more reputable than any message board...
These guys read it everyday.

parade%20of%20fools_zpskpipxzq5.jpg

If Kevin Keats has a big year at NCSU give him a look. Arizona may have been off their game, but I think its promising to beat a team with that level of talent. However, the subsequent losses aren’t convincing.

So far what I've seen from coach Padgett, I like. He lets the frosh play thru mistakes instead of yanking them immediately like Pitino would do. That's refreshing IMO and the players have responded to that positive approach. I know he isn't 'proven', and I do agree that a program of UofL's stature doesn't have to settle, but I really feel Padgett deserves a serious shot at the job full time. He's young enough to relate to the kids, yet old enough to be responsible for the program as the head guy. His potential as a head coach is off the charts high IMO. His dad was a coach. He got to learn from Pitino for a few years, and he was smart enough to hire an assistant with good coaching pedigree. So far he's done a great job IMO.

If you are classifying Trent Johnson as having a good pedigree you should look at his record. A 510% W/L record doesn't scream good coaching pedigree........

If you are classifying Trent Johnson as having a good pedigree you should look at his record. A 510% W/L record doesn't scream good coaching pedigree........
He has experience which is something coach Padgett doesn't have. He can learn and listen to advice. That was a smart move on his part.

Reactions: BPGhost
I come in peace. David Padgett will eventually have the interim tag removed. And will be named permanent head coach. This might not be what some on here wants to hear. Not trying to raise a stink, But UofL basketball is facing some pretty harsh NCAA sanctions. Not the best climate to hire a new coach.

Reactions: awf
I come in peace. David Padgett will eventually have the interim tag removed. And will be named permanent head coach. This might not be what some on here wants to hear. Not trying to raise a stink, But UofL basketball is facing some pretty harsh NCAA sanctions. Not the best climate to hire a new coach.
Yet to be determined on all accounts including the 'sanctions' you mentioned.

FWIW, I wouldn't mind seeing coach Padgett get a serious shot at the job, but lets be crystal clear about something; the University of Louisville basketball head coaching job is one of the best college jobs on earth. If coach Padgett is up to the challenge (and I think he might be), then all is well. If he's not, then the University will have plenty of other coaches more than interested in a change of scenery.

Well, I think you have to consider the context of the situation when evaluating the Trent Johnson hire. CDP had to form a staff while starting practice. Trent brings experience at least.

Well, I think you have to consider the context of the situation when evaluating the Trent Johnson hire. CDP had to form a staff while starting practice. Trent brings experience at least.
Trent was brought in by David more as a steady veteran ear for himself. Someone he felt he could trust with teaching him how to be a head coach and run a program day to day. All of which Trent can do .

ADVERTISEMENT