ADVERTISEMENT

New DC

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
I would like to see UofL go after a fairly young coordinator who has solid DC experience. For instance the DC at Southern Miss has been a coordinator at the D1 and D2 levels. He started at FSU and has strong ties in Alabama and Miss.

Also the coordinator at Troy has built a strong defensive scheme and has good southern recruiting ties.

My biggest concern with Sirmon was that he only had 1 year of DC experience at any level. He simply wasn’t ready, plus his main recruiting ties were in the West. It just wasn’t a good decision by Petrino.

Hire someone who has risen through the ranks but has a resume to lean on.

I would like to see UofL go after a fairly young coordinator who has solid DC experience. For instance the DC at Southern Miss has been a coordinator at the D1 and D2 levels. He started at FSU and has strong ties in Alabama and Miss.

Also the coordinator at Troy has built a strong defensive scheme and has good southern recruiting ties.

My biggest concern with Sirmon was that he only had 1 year of DC experience at any level. He simply wasn’t ready, plus his main recruiting ties were in the West. It just wasn’t a good decision by Petrino.

Matt House, two U-Hauls and can do it in one day.

Albeit he isn't young (upper 40's), Wesley McGriff, DC at Ole Miss, has been a DC at Auburn, coached many years in NFL, at Baylor, has deep recruiting ties throughout entire Southeast and Texas!

Agreed to date. Recruiting however is on an upswing. Neither Grantham of Sirmon did us any favors in recruiting. Grantham brought in 4 highly recruited UGa transfer (and one TCU), but that was it. Because of that, we are 2-3 recruiting classes away from being truly competitive again and this is year 5 of CBP's return. Thus, the disenchanted fan base that is gowing more so every day. This has to be a grand slam hire.

Reactions: wilkie01
Agreed to date. Recruiting however is on an upswing. Neither Grantham of Sirmon did us any favors in recruiting. Grantham brought in 4 highly recruited UGa transfer (and one TCU), but that was it. Because of that, we are 2-3 recruiting classes away from being truly competitive again and this is year 5 of CBP's return. Thus, the disenchanted fan base that is gowing more so every day. This has to be a grand slam hire.

I don’t see any grand slam hire being made because of Petrino’s reputation with DCs and the fact that a new DC will have little say on his staff. They need a good fit and someone who isn’t doing on the job training.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
"Disenchanted fan base" ? From my perspective support and interest in Cards football has never been higher.

Reactions: Vestavia57
"Disenchanted fan base" ? From my perspective support and interest in Cards football has never been higher.
I never said the entire fan base is disenchanted. I said a larger segment of the fan base is growing more disenchanted with CBP than his last tenure here and I stand by that based on what I hear from UL fans at work, in the community and in my family and all of them thought CBP walked on water his last tenure.

Spoiled, unrealistic fan base maybe, an enchanted fan base maybe,....but disenchanted fan base on anecdotal hearsay. Bring some metrics to the table if they exist. Otherwise, just another POV based in generalities of what you want to press as your agenda. Maybe, unhappy fan base is more like it.

But then so are the other fan bases not named Alabama.

Last edited:
Just the opposite for me, everyone I've spoken to are happy with coach Petrino. When the pizza posse went on their firing spree everyone including myself said if Petrino is fired too wasn't watching college sports anymore. Not that that would have effected anything but my point is we have a great coach and a growing fan base which shows he's still got our support. He's not perfect but please let's don't run our football coach off bc a hand full of people thinks that's the trendy thing to do!

Reactions: Vestavia57
Just the opposite for me, everyone I've spoken to are happy with coach Petrino. When the pizza posse went on their firing spree everyone including myself said if Petrino is fired too wasn't watching college sports anymore. Not that that would have effected anything but my point is we have a great coach and a growing fan base which shows he's still got our support. He's not perfect but please let's don't run our football coach off bc a hand full of people thinks that's the trendy thing to do!

We can’t run him off until he hires his long lost cousin Jebadiah as our new DC.

b8e5c5ed9ca681b1282d1102355f8c3d.jpg

Bobby1 was an egotistical SOB. He thought he was the $#!t.

His players fed off that. Had swagger.

All that went down with the bike. He’s walking around being Mr Nice.

He’s still a good X & O coach with a winning record, and there is no justification in letting him go. I’ve simply lowered my expectations to be average or slightly above. Geography in recruiting is a killer. Add no swagger, and it seals the deal.

Bobby1 is as gone as TJ , and Bobby 2 is doing enough to keep making millions.

Bobby1 was an egotistical SOB. He thought he was the $#!t.

His players fed off that. Had swagger.

All that went down with the bike. He’s walking around being Mr Nice.

He’s still a good X & O coach with a winning record, and there is no justification in letting him go. I’ve simply lowered my expectations to be average or slightly above. Geography in recruiting is a killer. Add no swagger, and it seals the deal.

Bobby1 is as gone as TJ , and Bobby 2 is doing enough to keep making millions.

Just enough

I can guarantee IF people don't want to work for him, its not because he is too nice to them. That CBP2 is too nice stuff is bull crap, have you ever heard someone leaving a job because his boss was too nice to them? He may have mellowed some with age but if you see him in practice or on the sideline during a game, you see that he can still rips players with the best of them.

TJ always said no one will outwork CBP and that is the reason they may not want to work for him, because he expects the same from them. I don't get the argument he won't give a DC any freedom. That is opposite of the situation, CBP gets grief all the time for not caring about the defense, so you can't have it both ways. If I am a DC, CBP leaves the defense to me cause he is so engulfed in his offense. Seems like a perfect situation for a DC.

When and if some of you run Petrino off, you will get what you deserve. These last four years have been as exciting as I can remember for UofL football. I dont care about stats, top 25 opponents etc.....as long as we have Bobby you know deep down we have a fighting chance against anyone. Hes a legit coach who can coach up his players and his offenses are fun as hell to watch.

He is not Mr Nice guy like some of you think, any good football coach isn't. He may have toned it down to the public eye, but who wouldn't when you know that you are under a microscope?

Look at the jack asses up the road....most irrelevant P5 football school around, do you want to end up like them? Football is the only sport that matters in the country.

What does their football coaches even sell recruits at this point, its not a Heisman winner, its not BCS bowls, its not playoff talk...its really nothing except playing time and at this point Stoops cant sell anything. Hes proven hes a joke of a coach and that mediocrity is fine for UK fans, they know and expect nothing more....is that what you guys want to be like? Getting curb stomped at home by your in state rival at home, letting your in state rival come back from 27 and still beat you, winning 1 game in the last 7 years to your in state rival, lose to NKU in some crap bowl, get excited when you go 6-6 or win 7 games in you garbage SEC east conference? I dont.

I love BP and want him to stay as long as he cares to.

Yeah Bobby doesn’t have the best track record against elite teams this go around. But I am counting on that to change. At least he beats who he should beat minus a couple games. We have one of the best conference records in the ACC since he came here.

Reactions: Chapman123
His hiring of Sirmon is the biggest screw up of CBP. The hiring of Beard as safeties coach is one I'm willing to go the patient route on. Young guy, has a decent not breathtaking resume. If he does a bang up job of recruiting in state in the 2019 class which is loaded with 4 stars in Kentucky, I'll be his biggest fan this time next year. Hope he does. I have the feeling Ward is going to be the next DC, again, just a hunch. I also have heard CBP took over the defense at the bye week, would certainly explain why they got better, that and they got Jaire back finally. Am I going to the bank with who told me that, no, just a nugget to chew on.

Reactions: Smithereen
CBP has to make a good hire this time. The ability to attract and keep good assistant coaches is just as paramount as recruiting highly ranked recruits. Failure to due this shows the lack of leadership qualities and ability to adapt to the game on his part. I for one will give him just one more chance to accomplish this. UofL is no longer a place you use to learn how to coach. Look at how well our Women's basketball and our Baseball is coached. It is time for Bobby Petrino to rise to the Top or step a side. He is out of grace, it either put up or shut up time!

His hiring of Sirmon is the biggest screw up of CBP. The hiring of Beard as safeties coach is one I'm willing to go the patient route on. Young guy, has a decent not breathtaking resume. If he does a bang up job of recruiting in state in the 2019 class which is loaded with 4 stars in Kentucky, I'll be his biggest fan this time next year. Hope he does. I have the feeling Ward is going to be the next DC, again, just a hunch. I also have heard CBP took over the defense at the bye week, would certainly explain why they got better, that and they got Jaire back finally. Am I going to the bank with who told me that, no, just a nugget to chew on.

I’m pretty confident Ward will not be DC. If he is, then it means several people passed on the job.

I wouldn't mind if Petrino go and get Troy's DC. No matter who's our next DC, how much longer will we have to wait, NSD is fast approaching.

We only have 3 scholarships left so getting someone quickly isn’t as important since they have the early signing period now.

Idiot? Naming calling highlights your parents lack of ability as caretakers of a young mind and proving once again you should pass a test to be a parent.
Taking shots at our coach is left to idiotic Ukay fans. Please refrain from looking like them. Your life will be better for it.

CBP has to make a good hire this time. The ability to attract and keep good assistant coaches is just as paramount as recruiting highly ranked recruits. Failure to due this shows the lack of leadership qualities and ability to adapt to the game on his part. I for one will give him just one more chance to accomplish this. UofL is no longer a place you use to learn how to coach. Look at how well our Women's basketball and our Baseball is coached. It is time for Bobby Petrino to rise to the Top or step a side. He is out of grace, it either put up or shut up time!
Wilkie your so serious. Pretty funny.

Well, per your first sentence, will you take 1 out of 2? Van Gorder has extensive DC "experience" but he is pushing 60, so.........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT