ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA WBB Tournament Details

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
The NCAA confirmed today that Selection Sunday is scheduled for March 15 and games would be played in March and April. There will be significant changes in the 2020-21 postseason event that determines the national champion.

All 64 teams in the field are expected to play at a single location to be determined with San Antonio being considered the front-runner.

The one-site model eliminates geographic regions and seeding will be done by an "S-curve mode" , like the men's tournament this year. The top four teams will be No. 1 seeds in each of the regions and then the bracket will be created using the selection committee's ranking of the teams from 1-64, rather than the former practice of adjusting matchups to avoid long travel requirements. Games between teams from the same conference still won't be allowed until the Sweet 16 round.

There will be 31 automatic berths in the field for conference champions. Should any conference not have a champion, the spot will be filled by an at-large team. Leagues must submit their criteria for determining its champion by Feb. 26.

Given the adjustments caused by the pandemic to non-conference schedules, teams finishing with a losing record will be eligible for selection as an at-large team.

--sonja--

Reactions: CardsFirst
If they’re going to a one location format why San Antonio? Give me a break why don’t they have someplace more central to everyone. Have it in Kansas or Missouri but not San Antonio.

Reactions: Sonja
If they’re going to a one location format why San Antonio? Give me a break why don’t they have someplace more central to everyone. Have it in Kansas or Missouri but not San Antonio.
I am fairly certain they were the Final Four city this year just like Indianapolis was for the men. Both are large enough cities and have enough facilities and hotels nearby to pull it off and also have a decent sized airport. It is not in the geographic center of the US but is it equidistant from the coasts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT