ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament Thread

Question for the board. Could UofL have done what UCLA has done in that play in spot?

Bruins looking tough nosed like their spunky coach. USC looki9ng good. What is up with the PAC10 tis year? How did they all get so good and the rest of the leagues get so mundane looking? Go figure. Good for CBBV though the way I see it. What say you guys?

Question for the board. Could UofL have done what UCLA has done in that play in spot?

Bruins looking tough nosed like their spunky coach. USC looki9ng good. What is up with the PAC10 tis year? How did they all get so good and the rest of the leagues get so mundane looking? Go figure. Good for CBBV though the way I see it. What say you guys?

I think Cards could've won 1-2 games at the most with this year's team. While Carlik was a stud, all the injuries left too little guard and front court depth. With no true center and a team that couldn't shoot the 3 ball very well, just too many weaknesses to go very far.

I haven't watched a ton of basketball this year, but I am watching the NCAAT as much as I can. The Zags are tough. Michigan looked really good yesterday.

Reactions: Mayoman

I don't think so. Cards were playing like crap in the end, plus, no Malik.

Who do you have on your brackets? Oregon State or Houston? 😉

Everything has shifted to west of the MississippI; Michigan is the lone exception. This year in almost every respect has been a freak.

Houston, UCLA, Baylor, Gonzaga, USC, Arkansas, Oregon State all play their games in time zones different from EST. Most of the US Media missed a lot of good basketball.

Reactions: Mayoman and PHCARD
I kinda wish Cronin would’ve gotten more of a look during the coaching search. He always had strong teams at UC, plus he’s a Rick guy and would’ve moved right into our roster and it wouldn’t have been a transition to anything new.

Reactions: nccardfan
I kinda wish Cronin would’ve gotten more of a look during the coaching search. He always had strong teams at UC, plus he’s a Rick guy and would’ve moved right into our roster and it wouldn’t have been a transition to anything new.

People would have revolted. His UC teams were always good to get to the Round of 32 and that's pretty much it. Although the Round of 32 is starting to sound like the Final Four to me.

People would have revolted. His UC teams were always good to get to the Round of 32 and that's pretty much it. Although the Round of 32 is starting to sound like the Final Four to me.
Just like with Mack, having the facilities and the tradition we have, would have elevated his results plus we would be playing more like Louisville teams in the past. Something that was overlooked.

Just like with Mack, having the facilities and the tradition we have, would have elevated his results plus we would be playing more like Louisville teams in the past. Something that was overlooked.

I like Mick, I'm proud of the guy as I claim him a bit. I'm rooting for UCLA to win this whole thing truthfully because of Mick. THey had an OK season and are making a historic run as an 11 seed to the Final Four, which no one could have foreseen. Impressive, but I'm not ready to make him our guy instead of Mack yet, his team might get spanked by Gonzaga like Katina Powell in a dorm room in a very embarrassing fashion. Although granted, it's still the FF while we watch and criticize and Monday Morning Quarterback from our collective couch.

I always took his UC teams seriously. They always overachieved IMO. I think now that he can get the west coast athletes who are offensively gifted and teach them defense, it could be a great mix.

Honestly, Indiana might fell the dumbest because they didn't even consider him twice and I think he would've been way better than Archie or Woodson as a hire.

I like Mick too, but I am not sure there is sufficient evidence yet that he is as successful as a HC, as much as he was the beneficiary of a rather exceptional transfer from UK. J. Juzang scored 28 of UCLA's 51 points, and I am not sure I can recall a Final Four player who had more individual impact on his team than Juzang had on UCLA.

Reactions: gocds
I like Mick too, but I am not sure there is sufficient evidence yet that he is as successful as a HC, as much as he was the beneficiary of a rather exceptional transfer from UK. J. Juzang scored 28 of UCLA's 51 points, and I am not sure I can recall a Final Four player who had more individual impact on his team than Juzang had on UCLA.
I mean I would say he is def a successful HC. Is he great? Do not know yet.

But his teams were very dominant in the AAC. Now I think he had a ceiling of talent at Cincy, but he always had strong teams every season. Just never had that one run that put him over the top. It's probably why he did not get a bigger offer sooner, due to the lack of a big tournament run.

Shaka Smart and Archie Miller turned a big tournament run into a big offer. Cronin had consistently good teams every year, but did not have the big run. Sometimes we overrate a lucky March run. Now could this FF run be lucky? Sure, but he has been a very consistent coach over the years.

Please don’t misunderstand me. It’s not about Mick vs Mack for me. What I did question was the hiring process or even if there was a process. It seemed like a mutual thing, we wanted him and he made no bones about wanting to be here. A lot of people said nobody wanted to come here because of the impending sanctions. Well as I said before, 4 million is plenty of reasons but just look at our facilities (thanks Tom) and our basketball tradition (thanks Peck, Denny and Rick). Most coaches would want a chance at coaching here. UC has a tradition but that was when the Big O was playing. XU does not have a basketball tradition and Mack knew it.

Please don’t misunderstand me. It’s not about Mick vs Mack for me. What I did question was the hiring process or even if there was a process. It seemed like a mutual thing, we wanted him and he made no bones about wanting to be here. A lot of people said nobody wanted to come here because of the impending sanctions. Well as I said before, 4 million is plenty of reasons but just look at our facilities (thanks Tom) and our basketball tradition (thanks Peck, Denny and Rick). Most coaches would want a chance at coaching here. UC has a tradition but that was when the Big O was playing. XU does not have a basketball tradition and Mack knew it.

I get ya!

Not sure, but I suspect any selection of a Pitino disciple would have prompted some serious challenges from both media and that portion of the fan base that believe Rick was the reason for NCAA infractions.

Reactions: gocds and jmac1029
I don't believe Mick ever seriously considered UC until he saw the type of money CCM got for signing here. UC refused to sweeten the pot in any significant way, figuring they could keep the hometown guy and alum on the cheap. So much for that idea!

I wish him well at UCLA. It's got to be a lot easier to UCLA than UC.

ADVERTISEMENT