ADVERTISEMENT

Nanu Situation

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
It is a bit frustrating that Nanu turning pro was preceded by seeming confusion and lack of communication. I'm not sure if Pitino or Nanu was more at fault, but turning professional should be celebrated and this seemed more drama-laden. Unfortunately we have seen this several times before - Samardo Samuels, Terrence Jennings, Trez and even Gorgiu to some extent. Not sure why these players and Pitino don't seem to be on the same page. The best optics for all would be to say nothing until something is definitively decided by the player.

Reactions: SoulSr
My best guess, and the common thread in these "situations", is that Pitino gets continuously asked about the player's intentions, and we all know he has a fondness for talking. I DO believe there is communication between both parties in regards to relevant feedback and information as to what decision is best for the player and their family, but probably not last minute coordination as to the timing and venue of the announcement. That's where (my guess) Pitino's lack of verbal restraint comes into play. He tends to want be "the voice" when it should be the player's moment in the spotlight.

Reactions: SoulSr and JohnKBA
Look all coaches are motivational speakers to some degree, some more than others. Whenever CRP makes these announcements, I believe he thinks he is trying to motivate players to do what he thinks is best. There will be disagreement. I think he thought gorgui's time was right and he needed to go. Samuels and Jennings needed to stay but if you tell a player that he will be the focus of the team and he bolts, you know he couldn't handle the responsibility. In Trez's case, I think CRP basically felt he wasted his junior year because instead of working on his post moves, he was out there chucking up 3's.

Also someone mentioned drama. Why did Nanu have to virtually wait until the last last minute to announce when his head coach knew what he was going to do from the start. Did Nanu want CRP to beg him to stay. One thing about CRP now, he's not likely to trust players like he has recently after being stabbed in the back.

Not really sure how Pitino would be at fault. He's been saying for a few weeks now that Onuaku was more than likely going to stay in the draft. I feel like some people on here (not saying any of you) always try to find a way to blame him for everything.

If Pitino knew it then Onuaku knew it and drug this out for his own reasoning

Not really sure how Pitino would be at fault. He's been saying for a few weeks now that Onuaku was more than likely going to stay in the draft. I feel like some people on here (not saying any of you) always try to find a way to blame him for everything.

If Pitino knew it then Onuaku knew it and drug this out for his own reasoning
I agree with nccard and moneycard. I believe Onuaku and his family had seriously been considerng the jump since some preseason reports mentioned pro interest. Because of his age, improvement, degree, and ability to ride a national championship bump, CRP had no apparent problem with Gorgi going even though if he returned, UL was odds on to go back to back. Jenkins was not at all ready and Samuels probably could have benefited from a another year at UL.. Neither probably considered advice from CRP. With Onuaku, I believe CRP thought he could benefit from another but clearly sensed he was bucking family consensus that Onuaku was ready. CRP having this insight and knowing that he had to adjust his big man priorities for next year, was ready with an answer when repeated asked by media about his read on Onuaku's return. Some on this board have criticized CRP for giving it, thus stealing the thunder from the player. Onuaku's thunder will come if he is able to pull off a Rozier and get a contract, not simply from dropping out of school.

Basically Pitino said what came true, That Nanu was turning pro. So i really don't see any miscommunication. Really what is best for a situation like this is for the coach to not talk, and we all know Pitino isn't going to do that.

Reactions: Steelers2012
There wasn't any miscommunication. Pitino knew Nanu's true desire. And just maybe Nanu knew what he wanted but felt loyalty to Louisville and that's the only reason he appeared to be back and forth on his decision towards the end. CRP knew and has been saying that he was 98% sure Nano was going and he did. No conspiracy no miscommunication just a young man making an important life decision with some reservation I'm sure. End of story.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT