ADVERTISEMENT

N.Carolina scandal leaving the Univ. in Peril

Jul 23, 2014
#layoutStory.blogBody .longform { width:980px; }
uncscandallingering640.jpg

The academic scandal at North Carolina is leaving the university in peril. (USATSI)

One particular stain in the North Carolina scandal won't go away.

No matter how many passes the NCAA takes on what still has to be labeled the largest academic fraud scandal in major-college history; no matter how many coaches and championships are walled off in denial of a history of paper classes that went back 18 years, North Carolina's reputation as a highly-regarded top-level research school -- not just the athletic department -- is being questioned by a higher power.

Belle Wheelan can tell you. The president of the regional accrediting agency charged with approving North Carolina's academic credentials remains troubled.

In her 11 years as head of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission, she has never seen anything like it -- a school this prominent being put on probation by her organization.

"It was devastating, it really was," Wheelan said. "Everybody keeps saying this is an athletic issue. This is much more than an athletic issue."

True, this is an entire University of North Carolina issue. Boiled down, it's an issue of whether the entire system is about handing out degrees or actually educating its students.

Last June, Wheelan's organization put North Carolina on probation for alleged "non-compliance with the principle of … academic integrity." Of course it stemmed from the ongoing NCAA investigation that seeks to determine whether there was systemic academic fraud for almost two decades in the Tar Heels' athletic department.

The school has instituted a series of sweeping reforms. A UNC update to Wheelan's organization appears here.

While the NCAA hasn't come close to putting the words "academic" and "fraud" in the same sentence, for the commission, there was no tip-toeing around the issue. The school could lose federal funding because that's what accrediting agencies do.

They're watchdogs, making sure schools aren't defrauding the public and students in accepting those federal funds. Basically, accreditation tells the public if their degree from State U is worth a damn.

"Employers want to know, 'What good is this degree if parts of it are in question?' said Wheelan, Virginia's former education secretary. "It creates havoc, no doubt about it."

There is no argument in this discussion about whether Roy Williams knew or should have known. There shouldn't be. The institution's higher-education rep is much more important.

The NCAA can take away scholarships, wins and championships. On a completely different level, North Carolina is looking at having its soul ripped out.

The school's current probation is considered the "most serious sanction" short of being kicked out by the commission.

The SACSCOC and Higher Learning Commission are the two largest regional accrediting agencies in the country. The two entities oversee a combined 30 states and tens of thousands of schools.

Wheelan said her knowledge goes back 11 years. For the Higher Learning Commission, there is no such case similar to North Carolina's in the last 40 years. That's as far as the commission's records reach according to a spokesman.

In that sense, the country's first public university is now, and forever, an outlier. It's not necessarily guilty, but it's not the same as it was. This historic probation has seen to it.

"Students simply would not attend the university if it were not accredited," said Gerald Gurney, an Oklahoma assistant professor long involved in college athletics reform. "To be placed on probation is a very serious matter."

In fact, eight months before UNC was put on probation, SACSCOC questioned the school's commitment to investigating "degree integrity." In this letter on North Carolina's website, a commission vice president says UNC appeared to narrow the scope of the scandal to "the unethical actions by two people."

Presumably, one of those persons is former administrator Debbie Crowder. The letter goes on to conclude there was a "failure" by UNC to "examine the full impact of these 'academic irregularities.'"

There is an expectation in some spaces the probation will be lifted when the SACSCOC board meets in June. But the commission also has the option in two months to extend the probation a year or even revoke North Carolina's accreditation.

"If we get a second year we'll be in the Perils of Pauline," said Jay Smith, a North Carolina history professor who has been at the school since 1990. "We'll be playing chicken with our accrediting body. Who knows how it's going to go?"

North Carolina must prove it provides "a coherent course of study," according to SACSCOC. It must show the organization it has "appropriate administrative control over … athletics."

These are sobering issues for a school that views itself as so much better.

"We have seen enrollments decline," Wheelan said. "Parents are saying, 'If you can't be accredited, I don't want to send my child. I don't want to invest my money there.'

"It can have a devastating effect, certainly on the reputation of the institution."

To be clear, there is no evidence of an enrollment decline at North Carolina. But Smith says from his view the UNC faculty has been "remarkably apathetic" in the face of the scandal. He added most of the outrage has come from retired professors.

Some of that may have to do with tenure. Smith, a tenured professor himself, has written a book with former UNC instructor Mary Willingham -- "Cheated" -- examining the scandal.

"You certainly would not expect a respected Research I institution to be on academic probation for academic fraud," Smith said.

For now, no one knows what to expect.

"They've done all they can at the particular point," Wheelan said. "Now it's just waiting to see if our board feels what they've done is sufficient."

Reactions: Senore2006
Wow. How huge is that? In this era of vagueness over what constitutes "fraud", when politicians are basically paid employees, someone literally stands up and deals with a capital educational crime at a monster prime time University.

It also returns academics to more than a pain in the arse to sports fans. A university who enabled athletes to avoid their educations is pretty much the only approach the NCAA can make.............mo matter the disbursement of the privilege to other students. Going so far as to remove accreditation absolutely has to affect the athletic side of things. After all, by definition, they gained. In a sad way, it's nearly as stupid as the Katrina fiasco. Everybody has a boss.

Reactions: American Male
What is going on in society and culture every day simply shocks me. There is not much respect for anything. I am not sure there is ANY clear moral compass at this point. I am amazed.

Just as technology and transportation and communication upended the world over the last 90 years, now the changing in/of values (society's values of all types) drives revolution and massive upheaval.

I really don't understand anymore what is right and wrong, or up and down. All I know is that I don't seem to fit. What used to be black and white is now all shades of gray. What used to be gray is now either black or white. What used to be cheating is now OK. maybe, depending on classification of wealth, race, gender and entitlement.

Sex may or may not be OK, depending on one's class.

Educational Standard is generally appalling now, on a comparative basis, other than at private primary schools and secondaries and colleges.

There are few really good jobs. There are few good industries. There seems little desire by most to improve one's knowledge or logic.

Social Connection is about the only thing that seems to matter to more than half the people.

A Degree or Diploma means little.

Now we freely give drugs and drug tools to users.

We don't care who votes or who is allowed to vote.

We don't respect government of any form, but we want government to take care of us.

All white males are bad. All businesses are bad.

What little I have accumulated in this world will likely be taken from me by force.

We free felons everyday, and we encourage them to vote.

All taxes are good, especially if levied mostly on the evil white males and the evil businesses.

Equality and Fairness and Equal Care and Equal Living Circumstances are more important than Achievement.

Wishing to Improve through Effort or Work is not considered a positive attribute.

Political Correctness is "IN", except in Politics, where lying and distortion is "IN".

Fascism is good. Free Speech is "OUT".

Equality of Poor Education is more important than Education.

To TRY to finish on point, I would bet every one of my few dollars, that UNC will NOT be sanctioned in any meaningful way, and moreover, that their well-paid tobacco-road lawyers will continue to "lawyer-up" to prove the greatness of their purpose in granting degrees. Academics has been dealt a great setback, but in this world, it doesn't seem to matter anymore.

Last edited:
I may get lambasted; but that was an irrelevant yet generationally repeated yawn from a disgruntled elder who seems to be struggling with adjustment disorder and lack of perspective...life evolves...there have been historically greater institutional atrocities that society has overcome and this is not further indication of our impending doom. I'm not attempting to silence you, continue with the rant; but I reserve the right to call it what it is.

Can we please return to FB.

The question I have regarding this statement is that with UNC's relatively mild self imposed penalties and the apparent minimal nature of their investigation, have they opened themselves up to even more serious violations in terms of the NCAA's ruling...which is relatively unimportant vs. potentially losing accreditation...on the heals of such athletic success I'd find it difficult to swallow right now if I were a fan, bitter sweet doesn't come close.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
IMO, that "news" in the OP is just a editorial, an opinion shared by a few people perhaps. It grossly generalizes about the whole institution based on one academic program.

To say that UNC is in decline based on this series of events is totally unfounded. It says simply that UNC had a rogue program, and it says nothing more. As written, it's the equivalent of telling me that Speed School at U of L is in decline because of how U of L's Pan-African Studies unit is being managed. Completely unrelated.

That something rogue can go on, maybe for years, is the issue. That's one of oversight and checks and balances, not an indictment of the entire university, unless this is but one example. Has anyone shown that the UNC problem goes beyond the one program?

Once again, we need to filter what we read. And as far as G-man's "old man rant", I more agree than disagree. It IS an opportunity to try to play the game by a new set of rules, unless you simply don't want to...

I may get lambasted; but that was an irrelevant yet generationally repeated yawn from a disgruntled elder who seems to be struggling with adjustment disorder and lack of perspective...life evolves...there have been historically greater institutional atrocities that society has overcome and this is not further indication of our impending doom. I'm not attempting to silence you, continue with the rant; but I reserve the right to call it what it is.

Can we please return to FB.

The question I have regarding this statement is that with UNC's relatively mild self imposed penalties and the apparent minimal nature of their investigation, have they opened themselves up to even more serious violations in terms of the NCAA's ruling...which is relatively unimportant vs. potentially losing accreditation...on the heals of such athletic success I'd find it difficult to swallow right now if I were a fan, bitter sweet doesn't come close.
Thanks, Wreck. I certainly would never attempt to silence anyone. Others may, but not I. I appreciate your perspective. Life does evolve. But not necessarily for the better. That was my point. Glad you understood! Agedness, in and of itself, does not necessarily imply a lack of perspective or an inability to adjust. Often the issue is simply the rate and degree/extent of change. As for atrocities, I could name hundreds and hundreds which seem to me to have been worse.

The atrocity and damage committed by UNC Leaders, Admins and Profs, upon their prior UNC graduates has been horrendous. As I must have poorly tried to state earlier, I believe the UNC attorneys, working together, will be quite 'successful' in defending their mindless/valueless system of education in North Carolina. A college Degree from UNC, granted in the last 30 years, will, in theory, have been proven to become worthless. But as with all things, that will not matter, as we will sweep that under the rug, also.

...A college Degree from UNC, granted in the last 30 years, will, in theory, have been proven to become worthless...
G-man, with all due respect, I think just the opposite. And I'll note for you that you did say IN THEORY.

This is the scandal du jour and will be all but forgotten a few months after it's finalized. Obviously, the university is worse off for it, but I think that the lasting effects will be minimal or nonexistent. We can debate whether that's the way it SHOULD be, but that is indeed another debate...

G-man, with all due respect, I think just the opposite. And I'll note for you that you did say IN THEORY.

This is the scandal du jour and will be all but forgotten a few months after it's finalized. Obviously, the university is worse off for it, but I think that the lasting effects will be minimal or nonexistent. We can debate whether that's the way it SHOULD be, but that is indeed another debate...
What SHOULD happen is that they should lose their accreditation for two years, but they won't because there's no end to the slippery slope. Everything is OK in Amurika. UNC is too big and too lawyered-up to fail, and so it won't be allowed to. What they did was/is a travesty. They hurt everybody and they further degraded education in general. But, not to worry. That's OK. Everything is OK. Hey, man--Just smoke a little Mary Jane and it'll all go away! After all, everyone is ENTITLED to a COLLEGE EDUCATION AND A COLLEGE DEGREE! Irrespective of Ability or Effort. At Taxpayer expense. Despite the fact that only 15% of "taxpayers" pay 90% of all taxes. And despite the fact that only 35% of American High School Graduates are even ready or suited for College.

Last edited:
I understand your POV, but I highly doubt that this UNC thing was about the university per se. Like my example at U of L... Does a scandal at another program tarnish the IMAGE of all programs, at least in the short run? For sure. But does a similar set of events in the U of L Pan-African unit indicate anything about my engineering degree? Not unless what was found somewhere else is also found to be systemic. Is anyone saying that about UNC? That's the level of transgression that should involve accreditation issues.

Yeah, it's simpler to just indict everyone with "UNC" at the end of their name. But that's not necessarily right. And none of us know that the same thing isn't going on in U of L's PA Studies program, the one in Criminal Justice, or other programs that disproportionately draw U of L student-athletes. I'm not hurling any stones at anyone when I face the same risk everyday...

Reactions: CardsFirst
For those who are responsible for hiring or at least in a position to review job applicants, I think you certainly think twice when seeing a resume with BS/BA from UNC compared to say another applicant. At least a raised eyebrow, some closer scrutiny or caution.

Reactions: American Male
I dare say we are seeing the affects of college and university grads who have been passed along through high schools and colleges. It is getting more serious year after year. My experience ten to fifteen years ago was that a good number of college grads applying for employment could not write a complete sentence, let-a-lone, a cohesive paragraph. Now we were recently informed that the third cause of deaths in the U.S. is medical mistakes... improper doses of medication ???????

Reactions: TopCard
I understand your POV, but I highly doubt that this UNC thing was about the university per se. Like my example at U of L... Does a scandal at another program tarnish the IMAGE of all programs, at least in the short run? For sure. But does a similar set of events in the U of L Pan-African unit indicate anything about my engineering degree? Not unless what was found somewhere else is also found to be systemic. Is anyone saying that about UNC? That's the level of transgression that should involve accreditation issues.

Yeah, it's simpler to just indict everyone with "UNC" at the end of their name. But that's not necessarily right. And none of us know that the same thing isn't going on in U of L's PA Studies program, the one in Criminal Justice, or other programs that disproportionately draw U of L student-athletes. I'm not hurling any stones at anyone when I face the same risk everyday...
I learned a long time ago not to throw stones at others misfortunes. Karma has a way of evening things up like a coach paying for ho's.

What is going on in society and culture every day simply shocks me. There is not much respect for anything. I am not sure there is ANY clear moral compass at this point. I am amazed.

Just as technology and transportation and communication upended the world over the last 90 years, now the changing in/of values (society's values of all types) drives revolution and massive upheaval.

I really don't understand anymore what is right and wrong, or up and down. All I know is that I don't seem to fit. What used to be black and white is now all shades of gray. What used to be gray is now either black or white. What used to be cheating is now OK. maybe, depending on classification of wealth, race, gender and entitlement.

Sex may or may not be OK, depending on one's class.

Educational Standard is generally appalling now, on a comparative basis, other than at private primary schools and secondaries and colleges.

There are few really good jobs. There are few good industries. There seems little desire by most to improve one's knowledge or logic.

Social Connection is about the only thing that seems to matter to more than half the people.

A Degree or Diploma means little.

Now we freely give drugs and drug tools to users.

We don't care who votes or who is allowed to vote.

We don't respect government of any form, but we want government to take care of us.

All white males are bad. All businesses are bad.

What little I have accumulated in this world will likely be taken from me by force.

We free felons everyday, and we encourage them to vote.

All taxes are good, especially if levied mostly on the evil white males and the evil businesses.

Equality and Fairness and Equal Care and Equal Living Circumstances are more important than Achievement.

Wishing to Improve through Effort or Work is not considered a positive attribute.

Political Correctness is "IN", except in Politics, where lying and distortion is "IN".

Fascism is good. Free Speech is "OUT".

Equality of Poor Education is more important than Education.

To TRY to finish on point, I would bet every one of my few dollars, that UNC will NOT be sanctioned in any meaningful way, and moreover, that their well-paid tobacco-road lawyers will continue to "lawyer-up" to prove the greatness of their purpose in granting degrees. Academics has been dealt a great setback, but in this world, it doesn't seem to matter anymore.
Best post ever. Sounds like the world of Barack Obama and Bernie Sanders.

There is simply too much financial impact from college sports.

We love our own programs they bring so much joy when they take the field/court.

But what happens to so many of the players when their careers are over is concerning.

We celebrate those that go on to pro level, but even many of those struggle in mainstream society when the paychecks stop coming in from playing sports. They flush their $ down the toilet.

The kids just are not receiving enough emphasis on things that will matter after sport - how to function in the real world.

Some simply cannot be reached scholastically, but those would be the kids that need even more attention then I say.

Pushing them to the easier road just to get them eligible to play does not help them.

We got all of ourselves here, and we have to get ourselves out of this mess. There will be losers and winners. That's the thing that must be accepted in order to move forward. Everyone cannot win. Trying to make it easier for everyone hurts everyone.

We shouldn't grant degrees to those who do not earn them. If we want to design a special classification for college athletes who play in some sort of designated class receiving special benefits, and who also receive a modicum of education and some special different appropriate piece of paper representing simultaneous limited academic achievement, then fine. I'm all for that.

North Carolina blew it big time. Maybe they've given everyone a thought-moment opportunity to take time out to redesign the college athletics/academics system.

Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT