ADVERTISEMENT

Myself...not “100% Sold” on Brohm...

I said it in another thread and I'll repeat it here. In my mind, I can't see anybody else leading the team out of that tunnel against ND. JB has positioned himself for that moment all his post football life. It doesn't get any better, at least not to me.

Im ready to forward past the last 2 games, past the basketball season and on to opening day when Jeff Brohm leads the Cards out of the tunnel :mad:

Reactions: earsky and td75
Since it looks like Brohm is done-(And I’m fine with him...he was one of 6 that I liked)....if I’m UNC I am looking at Satterfield very hard.....

Dear Lord I hope he doesn’t go to UNC I actually like the guy hopefully he’ll end up somewhere he can actually win, I think he would do great things at a program like U of L but like I said I understand Brohm and I’m not saying I don’t think he’ll be successful if he comes I think recruiting, especially in state will pick up dramatically. I really like Venerables but as I said before don’t think he’s gonna leave where he’s at for any type of rebuild.

If Brohm turns us down, then I think it means he is waiting on a bigger job. No point in leaving Purdue for Louisville if you are waiting on [Auburn, USC, NFL, etc...]

I just don't see any way Brohm stays at Purdue regardless of whether he comes to Louisville or not. If Brohm really is trying to climb the ladder and get to a power school, he has to strike while the iron is hot. Purdue wins over Ohio State don't happen every year. That program could easily stall out just because it's Purdue. There's only so much a coach can do there.

Brohm has a losing record against UNranked P5 teams in his head coaching career. I'm not convinced that he's gonna be successful here anywhere close to justifying the optimism people have.

BUT I'm convinced he will be the popular coaching hire (which has nothing to do with performance). That will translate to the most fan support. And right now, "Vince" needs money more than he needs wins...

Data nerds might make such an argument, but those with the ability to interpret data never would. Brohm has coached at Western and a moribund Purdue program. If he had a winning record against I ranked P5 schools with limited opportunity at WKU and with limited talent at Purdue. We should crown him Mayor and Football Coach at once.

Ryan Day isn't happening. Urban Meyer is on his last legs at OSU....Have to think he would take over for him if he walks away.

I'm all in on Brohm being the guy I want....but I'm very much open to other candidates if he shocks the world and stays at Purdue.

I like Babers, Fickell, Mike Norvell and I'm disappointed that Mike Leach's name hasn't been seen.
You like Babers??? We currently have the 13th worst 2019 recruiting class in the ACC, who’s 14th??? SYRACUSE! Please, not Babers! C’mon, do a little research!

If Brohm doesn't make the move then I suspect he's waiting on an NFL or ND type job.

I just think it's too much of a risk to wait. He needs to go now, before being the coach of Purdue catches up with him and he gets stuck there. His national profile went through the roof when Purdue beat Ohio State. Now's the time to make a move.

You like Babers??? We currently have the 13th worst 2019 recruiting class in the ACC, who’s 14th??? SYRACUSE! Please, not Babers! C’mon, do a little research!

Plus his defenses are horrible. If Dino wants a payday he better get it now, because stock is only going to fall after Dungey graduates and isn't there to make up for the porous defense.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash

I mean, he's recruiting to Syracuse. You have to take that into account....I think Brohm is the only perfect hire out there. Anyone else you pick is going to have issues one way or the other. I think he's a smart coach, good play caller and is great with the media.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
I mean, he's recruiting to Syracuse. You have to take that into account....I think Brohm is the only perfect hire out there. Anyone else you pick is going to have issues one way or the other. I think he's a smart coach, good play caller and is great with the media.
Babers is horse$h!t. He went 4-8 his previous two seasons leading up to this year. Again, do some research please. There’s 15 coaches I’d take before him. He runs up the score last week and people are impressed? Spare me.

Reactions: Chapman123
Here’s the deal, we go all in for Brohm. Tyra (who I am pullling for) needs to get the job done on Jeff and earn his money. He comes up short? He’ll have a dozen eggs on his face. But if he does come up short - I say make an aggressive run at Venables.

Here’s the deal, we go all in for Brohm. Tyra (who I am pullling for) needs to get the job done on Jeff and earn his money. He comes up short? He’ll have a dozen eggs on his face. But if he does come up short - I say make an aggressive run at Venables.

Rather have Ryan Day...younger and at least he has “some HC” experience-(Interim at tOSU)

He must strike while the iron is hot, and it's pretty hot for him at this point in time. Purdue is a ceiling job, hell, most jobs are. Louisville at least has a much higher ceiling and has proven that by actually beating the traditional powers in the ACC.

Louisville was one game away from playing for all the marbles in 2006 and that was before they joined the ACC! Clemson is beatable when Louisville has its house in order. Louisville has also defeated Florida State and Miami throughout the last decade on the regular. Since 2000, UofL is 3-1 versus Miami and 3-4 versus FSU.

Those are very important stats because it absolutely shows what UofL is capable of when their house is in order. I would say those numbers prove that the ceiling at UofL is pretty darn high!

Reactions: Chapman123
Data nerds might make such an argument, but those with the ability to interpret data never would. Brohm has coached at Western and a moribund Purdue program. If he had a winning record against I ranked P5 schools with limited opportunity at WKU and with limited talent at Purdue. We should crown him Mayor and Football Coach at once.
You can't simply explain it that way because he's taking that "limited opportunity and talent" and beating ranked teams at the same time, the most shining example being Ohio State.

For whatever reason, Brohm disproportionately beats ranked teams and loses to unranked teams. I'm waiting for anyone to offer a good explanation for that and a sound argument why it won't continue here...

Whoever is coach, if he produces the second, Vince will have the first.

^^^^
This...

As long as the new coach wins they will make money. No way they could continue with Petrino. I do find it interesting that NOBODY in the Coaching community has come out in support for Petrino after he was let go...would not be surprised many coaches are now celebrating his demise..

I understand your point.
Desirable, yes. Poached-no.

ANY UofL coach could get poached by other colleges or the NFL.

Id like to think Brohm will turn down all.
I actually think this attititude makes Brohm’s decision harder. If he ever wants to coach anywhere but UL he shouldn’t come here. UL fans have already decided he would never leave for another job. The amount of blowback he would get for leaving UL one day would be crazy. His family still has to live here after he leaves. It’s something he has to think about for sure

I actually think this attititude makes Brohm’s decision harder. If he ever wants to coach anywhere but UL he shouldn’t come here. UL fans have already decided he would never leave for another job. The amount of blowback he would get for leaving UL one day would be crazy. His family still has to live here after he leaves. It’s something he has to think about for sure

Disagree....if he is successful and say an NFL Offer comes up..if he leaves for that some would be butthurt but most imo would handle it like the Florida Fans & Alums did when Spurrier left for the Redskins.

You can't simply explain it that way because he's taking that "limited opportunity and talent" and beating ranked teams at the same time, the most shining example being Ohio State.

For whatever reason, Brohm disproportionately beats ranked teams and loses to unranked teams. I'm waiting for anyone to offer a good explanation for that and a sound argument why it won't continue here...
The easiest explanation for the stock market like performance is talent level or depth of talent. You see it everywhere except for a handful of schools. He able to get his teams locked in against good teams then against perceived weaker opponents they struggle. That is a cultural thing that takes time. Recruiting depth takes time. He is building his culture and he is doing a really good job recruiting to Purdue.

The college football system makes coaching very difficult. Once a team can no longer reach its ultimate or even secondary goal you see immediate crap performance that next week. Try to motivate senior that has no shot at the NFL if all the team goals are gone.

The argument is we know he can build a winning culture he has done that at WKU and is doing the same at Purdue. You could see in his 1st game the players buy in to him. Keep in mind the mess he walked into. Recruiting he is proving to be a very good recruiter. I would think he could recruit better or equally to Louisville than Purdue. He has a top 30 class this year if he can do that consistently then he has the depth to compete weekly and the uneven performances should decrease.

The easiest explanation for the stock market like performance is talent level or depth of talent. You see it everywhere except for a handful of schools. He able to get his teams locked in against good teams then against perceived weaker opponents they struggle. That is a cultural thing that takes time. Recruiting depth takes time. He is building his culture and he is doing a really good job recruiting to Purdue...
I don't know why culture the way I think of it would matter.

The best explanation I can think of is Brohm's able to motivate his team for big games, but often fails to do so for the rest. Denny Crum had the same albatross on his back; a coach like Pitino didn't. It's more about coaching personality than it is style or external factors. Maybe Brohm adapts that "personality" over time--I guess we're gonna find out...

Brohm will bring money a lot faster than the wins will come, IF they come...
tenor.gif

We never dreamed we’d run Bobby out of town but we did.

Who’s to say anybody might care if he leaves?

Ain’t nothing dead solid perfect.

I’m wondering if we’ve just peaked. Before this year I mean ;)

Recruiting geography is against us. Always has been. Always will be. Regardless the HC.

Nine wins may become a “great” season for us with eight being good.

That’s the way it is for around 45-50 of the P5 schools.

Nothing wrong with it.

I don’t like it, but we knew our rise would hit a ceiling one day.

Maybe it’s here.

Reactions: CATFANFOLIFE87
I’m wondering if we’ve just peaked. Before this year I mean ;)

Recruiting geography is against us. Always has been. Always will be. Regardless the HC.

Nine wins may become a “great” season for us with eight being good.

That’s the way it is for around 45-50 of the P5 schools.

Nothing wrong with it.

I don’t like it, but we knew our rise would hit a ceiling one day.

Maybe it’s here.

I don't think so.

Well, it depends on what you mean by "peaked" and what your expectations for the program are. Is Louisville the type of program that can continually reload and challenge for a national title every year? No, probably not. But are they a program where 8-4/7-5 can be viewed as "down" years? I think so.

With the right coach Louisville has everything needed to be a consistent top 30 program.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
I don't think so.

Well, it depends on what you mean by "peaked" and what your expectations for the program are. Is Louisville the type of program that can continually reload and challenge for a national title every year? No, probably not. But are they a program where 8-4/7-5 can be viewed as "down" years? I think so.

With the right coach Louisville has everything needed to be a consistent top 30 program.
8-4 a down year? If that’s the case then you’re probably a top 15 team in the country consistently. I don’t think that’s happening with the recruiting base what it is in KY. I think 8-4 is a reasonable yearly average for UK or UL. Some years better and some years worse. UL having a better shot at that than UK with the mountain we have to climb every year in the recruiting rankings against the SEC. We can finish in the top 25 of the recruiting rankings and still finish 12th in the conference

8-4 a down year? If that’s the case then you’re probably a top 15 team in the country consistently. I don’t think that’s happening with the recruiting base what it is in KY. I think 8-4 is a reasonable yearly average for UK or UL. Some years better and some years worse. UL having a better shot at that than UK with the mountain we have to climb every year in the recruiting rankings against the SEC. We can finish in the top 25 of the recruiting rankings and still finish 12th in the conference

Right, I think UK is obviously much less likely to achieve maintained success than Louisville but I don't think going 8-4 on down years would be unreasonable. Louisville plays UK, UVA, BC, NC State, Wake, Clemson, Syracuse, Florida State, and a random coastal opponent every year.

Thats 9 games. Louisville has been scheduling games with teams like Alabama and Auburn to open the season but those are probably an exception to the rule. Most years UL can easily get 3 wins in their non-conference. UL should nearly always be better than Wake, UVA and Syracuse or at least rarely lose to them, that's 5-6 wins. UK, NC State, BC, FSU, random coastal team and Clemson round out the schedule. I don't think its far fetched at all to think they would win 2 of those as long as the program hasn't totally bottomed out. So I think even when UL isn't great the schedule should allow for them to be at the very least a bowl eligible team.

If Louisville can get the right coach in place to recruit consistent top 30 classes...(something Petrino was very close to and that staff was a disaster) then Louisville should consistently have more talent than BC, Syracuse, Wake, UVA, NC State and probably UK. It all starts with recruiting and developing. As I said, with Louisville's schedule and the right coach there's room to build a program and maintain success in the ACC.

Right, I think UK is obviously much less likely to achieve maintained success than Louisville but I don't think going 8-4 on down years would be unreasonable. Louisville plays UK, UVA, BC, NC State, Wake, Clemson, Syracuse, Florida State, and a random coastal opponent every year.

Thats 9 games. Louisville has been scheduling games with teams like Alabama and Auburn to open the season but those are probably an exception to the rule. Most years UL can easily get 3 wins in their non-conference. UL should nearly always be better than Wake, UVA and Syracuse or at least rarely lose to them, that's 5-6 wins. UK, NC State, BC, FSU, random coastal team and Clemson round out the schedule. I don't think its far fetched at all to think they would win 2 of those as long as the program hasn't totally bottomed out. So I think even when UL isn't great the schedule should allow for them to be at the very least a bowl eligible team.

If Louisville can get the right coach in place to recruit consistent top 30 classes...(something Petrino was very close to and that staff was a disaster) then Louisville should consistently have more talent than BC, Syracuse, Wake, UVA, NC State and probably UK. It all starts with recruiting and developing. As I said, with Louisville's schedule and the right coach there's room to build a program and maintain success in the ACC.
Stoops consistently has classes ranked around 30th. The difference in the recruiting classes in the 25-35 range is negligible. It really all comes down to development for teams that recruit in that range. For UL to “probably” have more talent than UK on a consistent basis then UL would have to recruit on a top 20 level consistently. I just don’t see that happening and that’s not a knock on UL. It’s just very hard to recruit like that consistently for programs that rely so heavily on out of state recruiting unless you’re a blueblood program. Virginia and NC State have better recruiting bases than we do.

UL should really never win less than 6 games. Like you said you basically have that many wins automatically built into the schedule every year. Then you probably have 4 games that are either toss-ups or UL isn’t favored. UL probably wins half of those and is upset by a team or two. That probably puts you at an 8 win average with some years winning 7 and others winning 9 or possibly 10 in a really good year

Stoops consistently has classes ranked around 30th. The difference in the recruiting classes in the 25-35 range is negligible. It really all comes down to development for teams that recruit in that range. For UL to “probably” have more talent than UK on a consistent basis then UL would have to recruit on a top 20 level consistently. I just don’t see that happening and that’s not a knock on UL. It’s just very hard to recruit like that consistently for programs that rely so heavily on out of state recruiting unless you’re a blueblood program. Virginia and NC State have better recruiting bases than we do.

UL should really never win less than 6 games. Like you said you basically have that many wins automatically built into the schedule every year. Then you probably have 4 games that are either toss-ups or UL isn’t favored. UL probably wins half of those and is upset by a team or two. That probably puts you at an 8 win average with some years winning 7 and others winning 9 or possibly 10 in a really good year
Since I have been alive....UK is usually one of those "automatically" built in wins. Congrats on the win this year.....savor it

Since I have been alive....UK is usually one of those "automatically" built in wins. Congrats on the win this year.....savor it
UK’s administration has also been fine with being 30 years behind the rest on the country in terms of commitment to facilities and coaching salaries. That’s never going to happen again. With the SECN money UK should always be very competive in those areas moving forward. UK isn’t immune to making bad hires but the program should never stay down because the commitment will be there

Right, I mean thats my point....Louisville can without a doubt build a roster that should always even at its worst be going to a bowl game. If you're consistently at 6-7 wins at your worst then your best is going to be 10+ wins in my opinion. As I said, UL plays about half their games against teams they should consistently better than (Wake, UVA, Cuse, 3 non-conference). Most years they'll be better than BC and I'm still of the opinion that Stoops isn't a good coach and that UL will be better than UK most of the time.

If Petrino and his terrible staff can bring in 4 straight classes ranked in the 30s then someone like Jeff Brohm can certainly build on that. He has the #25 class right now at Purdue and that place has been a dumpster fire for years. Which is why I was saying if we can get Brohm - a guy who will stay here long term in my opinion and recruit better and more consistently than we ever had then there's no reason to think Louisville's program can't be maintained over the long haul and have really high "highs" and never really have bottomed out "lows."

UK’s administration has also been fine with being 30 years behind the rest on the country in terms of commitment to facilities and coaching salaries. That’s never going to happen again. With the SECN money UK should always be very competive in those areas moving forward. UK isn’t immune to making bad hires but the program should never stay down because the commitment will be there
Oh for sure man. UK will never be down again bro. You guys are a powerhouse. Barnfart has you guys rolling and stoops is the next Saban.

UL has averaged 8 wins for the past 15 years, already! And that includes 3 years of Kragpoop averaging 5. I see UL as an 8 or so win team and when the stars align, we have a group that comes together every 4-5 years that can at least challenge Clemson (since they are the bar in our division). I'm not delusional enough to think we are a perennial powerhouse, but most years we ARE a top 25 team. No disprespect intended, but the UK/UL win average debate is not anywhere close. I'll give you this season, but come on......

Last edited:
Oh for sure man. UK will never be down again bro. You guys are a powerhouse. Barnfart has you guys rolling and stoops is the next Saban.

Man I get the hate for uk, but this guy is at least attempting to be objective. I do have to give credit where it’s due, Stoops had many uk fans wanting him fired, but they’ve had a decent run this year. I’ll admit, I don’t want to see uk go to NY6 bowls or better, but the better they are, the better it is for football locally, and it’s nice having another ranked team on the schedule. What does it do for us for uk to be terrible at football outside of bragging rights? I enjoy another ranked team on the schedule.

Hope they go 4-8 every year......we schedule out of conference pretty well and Clemson is Clemson. FSU is down and will be back and we have enough other schools in our division that are above average.

I disagree, a very small portion of our fan base were mad when Bobby and Charlie left, but the majority understood why they accepted jobs at Atlanta and Texas. Jeff would be the same. If the nfl or say Notre Dame came calling, we would understand. John L. Is a great example in this because he blasted uofl on his way out, fans were mad, yet I would say the majority of our fan base actually likes John L. and appreciates what he did here.

...it depends on what you mean by "peaked" and what your expectations for the program are. Is Louisville the type of program that can continually reload and challenge for a national title every year? No, probably not. But are they a program where 8-4/7-5 can be viewed as "down" years? I think so...
Again, most folks who look at that record as "down" or a floor don't realize how often elite football teams experience that record routinely. And we ain't elite...

Most recent football season with 7 or less wins:
Alabama 2007
Wisconsin 2008
Oklahoma 2009 (regular season)
Clemson 2010
Ohio State 2011
Louisville 2011
USC 2012
Miami 2014
Michigan 2014
Washington 2015
Georgia 2016 (regular season)
LSU 2016 (regular season)
Florida State 2017
Florida 2017

What is interesting is both UK and Louisville fans haven't really supported teams that finish 8-4 or 7-5. Neither program was/is in love with their coach. Wait for the meltdown next year if KY goes 4-8. I have been very surprised how many UK fans don't like Stoops. You would have thought a 9 win season would have their fanbase thrilled but no one showed up last week against a good non-conference opponent. Purdue is thrilled with Brohm but their stadium was half full against Wisconsin.

These universities have put themselves in a very tough spot with these crazy buyouts and contracts. USC, Illinois and North Carolina may end up keeping guys their fans don't want because they can't stomach the buyouts. UK is stuck with Stoops unless he decides to leave on his own.

I don't see the logic of paying any coach 5m at a program that historically been a 8 win program with a very tough recruiting demographic. Is Brohm really worth 5M at this point? He is absolutely perfect for Louisville but 5M I just don't know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT