ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on Josh Heird being the next AD

Ty Spalding

Owner/Publisher of CardinalSports.com
Aug 23, 2018
Wanted to drop some background info/tidbits and give my thoughts on Heird getting the full-time gig.

- The news will become official tomorrow morning at 8 a.m.

- I am very much good with Josh Heird getting the AD job, but I do think Louisville went the safe route here (which is fine)

- There was another P5 school that was looking for an AD that had Heird on the top of their list. I can confirm that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

- I was told that Heird really impressed a lot of top-level decision makers both at UofL and at the ACC meetings.

- He’s very dedicated to the city and the school, and has a vision going forward, and waited it out here instead of pursuing the other P5 opening that I mentioned above.

- Some accomplishments while being the interim: Negotiated the Mack buyout down, brought in Payne, while conducting a search with no leaks. Also secured Walz and McDonnell.

- Additionally, he backed the football program, got the budget to where it needs to be, and pushed the right buttons to light a fire under Satterfield.

- On NIL: I’ve made countless posts about UofL being ahead of the curve going all the way back to March. And you’re seeing that pay dividends with football recruiting. I will have more on NIL next week.

- I was told that a major, major booster who’s name is on a facility hosted Heird for Derby, and attempts are being made to mend that relationship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.