ADVERTISEMENT

My eat crow about Coach Satterfield thread

KerryRhodes

15000+
Dec 15, 2007
I humbly accept humble pie as Coach Satterfield's biggest detractor when he was hired.

I didnt trust a guy coming from Appalachian State. I figured he''d go
4-8 year one
5-7 year two
7-5 year three and get poached.

I was convinced about how good he and team was when they were up on Notre Dame 14-7. I didnt think they could even compete with them and the team would look similar to last years team, with only slight improvement.

Most prognosticators and manu of fans only picked the Cards to win
2-4 games.

Cards lost 22 underclassmen, many of fairweather fans, yet are going bowling!

I accept my crow and humble pie.
Washed down with spoiled milk.

Congratulations to Coach Satterfield, the staff, the administration, AD Tyra, and the players who have put in the blood sweat and tears !

I was wrong.
See, that wasnt so hard Mr Midnite.

Huh, spoiled milk?!? I’d rather you take this with totally unsweetened lemon juice! WTH I predicted 4 (or 5 at best) wins. I’ll be right there with you but I want my crow deep fried. :p:rolleyes::) Am I happy!? I’m so darn happy I could . . . . Oh forget that as this is a family deal. :D

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Huh, spoiled milk?!? I’d rather you take this with totally unsweetened lemon juice! WTH I predicted 4 (or 5 at best) wins. I’ll be right there with you but I want my crow deep fried. :p:rolleyes::) Am I happy!? I’m so darn happy I could . . . . Oh forget that as this is a family deal. :D

LoL.
I was Coach Satterfield's biggest critic.

I can admit i was wrong.

Reactions: Deeva and glassmanJ
I was on board with Satterfield, but predicted only 4 wins. KR no one saw this coming as no one saw last year’s debacle coming.

Isn’t sports crazy. The ups and downs, the challenges accepted and overcome. Yep just love it. These types of years are the best; Satterfield and company have put fun back in UofL FB.

I predicted 5-7. Because our schedule looked so tough? I failed to give enough credit to our tough team. Too many of us were stuck in that NN loop. Goodness it feels good to be released from negativity. :cool:

Same here! I was hoping to double the win output of last year and would have been content. Going to a bowl game never entered my mind. Satterfield and the coaches he brought in have done an outstanding job and my crow tastes great with a pinch of salt.

Go CARDS!!!

I’m willing to give Satt and his staff 3-4 years before I start to get critical. I think the same is in order for praise. The staff has done a good job. Let’s see how we feel about the program in 2021. In the meantime, I’m going to cheer on the Cards and hopefully attend 1-2 games per year.

I thought we were in for a long rebuild. I was expecting 2-4 wins this year, maybe 5 next year, then a bowl in year 3. Having that low of expectations made the season very exciting and enjoyable to me.

As for Satterfield v. Brohm, I thought Brohm was our only chance at this kind of fast track revival. I didn't know anything about Satterfield. I wasn't down on the guy but I didn't expect him to perform like this.

I was wrong too. It happens, no big deal. Glad to be wrong and ecstatic about the results to date.

I knew the staff knew how to build a winning program but I had no idea how this group of players would react. The Notre Dame game showed they trusted the staff. The buy in was quick which is really hard to predict.

I will take it year by year but my quess is by year 3 or 4 the program will be competitive with Clemson. The gap will close.

I predicted 6-6. We lost last year because the Coaching staff quit on us. I thought we had enough talent AND toss up games to win 6. I predicted EKU, WKU, BC, Wake, Miami, and Syracuse.

I predicted 5-7 four home wins and one road win. pleasantly surprised with our current record. Get some depth and no telling how much improvement we'll see in the next few seasons.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
I was on board with Satterfield, but predicted only 4 wins. KR no one saw this coming as no one saw last year’s debacle coming.

Isn’t sports crazy. The ups and downs, the challenges accepted and overcome. Yep just love it. These types of years are the best; Satterfield and company have put fun back in UofL FB.
I predicted an 8 or 9 win season back in like March. And have the Tweets to prove it. :p

I was a Satterfield believer but I still didn’t see this team winning more than 4 games and had to talk myself into 2 wins past EKU and WKU.

What a season and it ain’t over.

Pump the brakes. Satterfield and staff have been very good this year, but it’s possible we take a step back next year as they methodically build the roster. We could still have a 9 win season this year, but we can’t really judge these guys until year 3 or 4, when they have all their players in place. I won’t be screaming to FAAAAAAARR THE SUMBEOTCH if we go 6-7 next year.

Reactions: chevelle99
Morgantown. You should copyright that phrase. I’ll buy some shirts if part of the proceeds go to charity. It’s become a mantra here.

I thought Satterfield was a good coach based on his resume. But I don't see how anyone can argue he's had anything but a great first year. You'd have to argue that our schedule this year has been absolute dog food, and I don't think it's rated that bad.

One great year doesn't make the guy a great coach. Witness Stupes last year. But you have to acknowledge that Satterfield may indeed be a great coach before his career is over. He's having a helluva start here...

I thought Satterfield was a good coach based on his resume. But I don't see how anyone can argue he's had anything but a great first year. You'd have to argue that our schedule this year has been absolute dog food, and I don't think it's rated that bad.

One great year doesn't make the guy a great coach. Witness Stupes last year. But you have to acknowledge that Satterfield may indeed be a great coach before his career is over. He's having a helluva start here...

Who said he was great?

He turned a nuclear waste dump into a team that actually played football.

Im amazed at the sharp 180.

Reactions: gocds
He beat Michigan at Ann Arbor. I watched a App State game a while back they haven’t forgotten anything they were taught they looked really good.

He beat Michigan at Ann Arbor. I watched a App State game a while back they haven’t forgotten anything they were taught they looked really good.

I love the job that CSS has done here and hope that it continues for years to come. BUT he was not the coach at APP State when they beat Michigan. He was, however, the coach at APP State when they took Penn State into overtime.

You know who deserve a ton of credit is Tyra. He found the perfect coach scheme wise that fit this group of players. That is why the offense has made the jump. There was no retooling which slows progress year one and two.

Offensively Satterfield has a plan he believes in and is committed to. It is a perfect college offense. It has a lot of formations and motion that aren’t easy to prepare for on the college level. Add in better athletes at all the skilled spots the offense they made a huge jump basically with the same personnel. Many of the offensive concept are similar to Petrino.

Two huge additions Ledford and Ponce. Staff matters. The Oline zone blocking was probably the biggest challenge.

Defense has work to do but that side was hit big time in the transfer portal. I will take a wait see approach with that side. No doubt has to get better.

Last edited:
Reactions: gocds
I have to say that Satterfield has done a great job in his first season at UofL. I know there was a lot of angst about Brohm when that all went down, but it looks like the turnaround is well ahead of schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT