ADVERTISEMENT

MSU fires Moorehead

TyCards9er

1500+
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2019
Mississippi state just fired Moorehead but what’s interesting is that’s after all their class signed their LOI. Do they let the kids free of those to sign somewhere else?

I believe the rule was changed to allow kids to rescind their commit if the coach leaves or is terminated.
My guess is most of them will wait and see who the new coach is before making that decision.

Reactions: nccardfan
It's never a good thing when your QB gets his ass kicked by a teammate. I'd say that's an indicator things aren't going great.

Reactions: CardVille
All these openings this year, and Petrino is still unemployed. Even the coach who killed a kid got a job (Durkin).

This makes me a little nervous. They had front row seats to Satterfield's work. I hope they're not looking at him as a potential candidate.

I stand corrected: Straight from the NCAA:
National Letter of Intent release rules
If your student-athlete changes their mind about the school they signed an NLI with, they must ask to be released from the program. If they are not granted a release form, the player will lose one year of eligibility. A common reason why student-athletes decide to enroll in a school other than the one they've signed an NLI with is if the coach at the program leaves the school. The National Letter of Intent is a legal contract between a school and a student-athlete; they are not tied to coaches.

I stand corrected: Straight from the NCAA:
National Letter of Intent release rules
If your student-athlete changes their mind about the school they signed an NLI with, they must ask to be released from the program. If they are not granted a release form, the player will lose one year of eligibility. A common reason why student-athletes decide to enroll in a school other than the one they've signed an NLI with is if the coach at the program leaves the school. The National Letter of Intent is a legal contract between a school and a student-athlete; they are not tied to coaches.
I think you’re are looking at the old rules. The NCAA has relaxed transfer rules for incoming freshman athletes in certain situations, including those on teams that have made coaching changes. The athlete would then not be require to seek a waiver. The athlete cannot go to the new school that the fired coach has been hired.

Need to go to www.nationalletter.org. It is still confusing as hell so I understand why kids may not be entirely informed. You still have to go through a release process due to extenuating circumstances but you don’t have to be given a release like in previous years. You almost have to be a lawyer to fully understand who is eligible.

look for administrative guidelines and Intrepretations, complete release page 13. Clear as mud.

“The NLI signee would be granted a complete release, if requested by the signee, under the following conditions (1) the signee is enrolled at the signing institution during the summer triggering transfer status and the head coach departs during the summer before the start of the next regular academic term (i.e. fall semester). The signee would submit a release NLI release request through the NLI release process. The institution would grant the complete release through the NLI portal.”

Last edited:
Here’s one of the players who signed. Rodney Groce, Jr. He visited Louisville just before signing.
https://thespun.com/sec/mississippi-state/former-nebraska-commit-is-not-happy-with-mississippi-state

Also, Pat Forde wrote an article for Sports Illustrated which states that Mississippi State doesn’t have to let any of those signees out of their commitment.
It sounds like the signee actually has to enroll first? Hell, it’s confusing. My understanding is that coaches can’t block a kid from going somewhere else. Maybe there are stipulations within the same conference but I thought they changed that.

The only decent thing for MSU to do would be to release any recruit that wanted to go elsewhere.

A lot of their class is from Mississippi so they may be committing to the school more than the coach. I would say anyone that wanted out will be released. The negative PR will make that happen.

He would have gotten another year if he wasn’t a northerner. They couldn’t wait to farrrrrr that yankee sonofabeeitch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT