ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell- The Wild Card?

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Donovan Mitchell hasn't gotten the same amount of ink as Damion Lee, Trey Lewis, or even Chinanu Onauku, but the 6-foot-3 freshman will have a big hand in determining the Cardinals' ceiling from now until Selection Sunday.

Mitchell came off the bench to score 10 points and grab five rebounds in Monday night's upset win over North Carolina and his progression will be a major thing to watch over the next five to six weeks.

Rick Pitino's teams are always going to defend at a high level, but the biggest question regarding this particular group was whether or not Louisville's offense would be able to sustain a high level of consistency.

If Mitchell can play the way he did against North Carolina the rest of the season, then the Cards are going to have a major weapon is reserve.

A freak athlete with tremendous bounce, Mitchell is a factor on the offensive glass and does many things that don't show up in a box score.

Louisville is 9-0 in games this season when Mitchell reaches double figures.

Well I think Mitchell is ONE of the wild cards for this team. Hard to name just one guy when others very often step up too.

Heart.That's all I can say.He seems to play his best when others are struggling.
I'm really not too upset if he flies a little under the radar.
Maybe we'll get to watch him 2 more years. He's already very good
& will be even better next year.

Reactions: Cue Card
We'll keep him 2 years max. That's my prediction on Mitchell. His poise as a freshman is unusual. His athletic ability is scary. His basketball IQ is above average at his age. He is a star in the making if he stays healthy. He is a winner. It's easy to see.

Reactions: Louisville JD
As much as I like Mitchell...and I certainly do, I think Lewis is "the key" this season. He has been pretty inconsistent since ACC play began, but he showed that he can be a real scoring threat, capable of scoring 20+ points, when he is "on". His scoring and outside shooting can take some of the pressure off of Lee as well. Having said all that, I am sure looking forward to watching Mitchell's progress over the season and beyond. He IS special.

As much as I like Mitchell...and I certainly do, I think Lewis is "the key" this season. He has been pretty inconsistent since ACC play began, but he showed that he can be a real scoring threat, capable of scoring 20+ points, when he is "on". His scoring and outside shooting can take some of the pressure off of Lee as well. Having said all that, I am sure looking forward to watching Mitchell's progress over the season and beyond. He IS special.

Lewis hasn't quite seemed the same since his ankle injury. I'm not sure if that is still affecting him at this point or not. The only thing I'm disappointed in from Lewis is that he has had some costly turnovers late in games that you would hope a 5th year senior wouldn't do so often. But even though his scoring is up and down he has managed to hit some clutch big baskets for us late in games. Free throws too.

Reactions: BACard
He reminds me more of LaBradford Smith.

Eric Johnson and LaBradford Smith are BOTH who I have thought of as to who DM reminds me of. I can see both. I still want to see a wide open breakaway dunk from him to see what he does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT