ADVERTISEMENT

Missouri State Bears Clinch a Share of the MVC Football Title with 21-10 Win vs Youngstown State

cocoa

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Coach Bobby Petrino Bears, win a share of the MVC Crown, in contention for a NCAA playoff birth. Of Course Coach Petrino is a AH, that forgot every thing he knew about football, this in one season at UL. Of course this all happened, after some Unknown Clowns sewed, a Scarlet Letter on his Coaching Jersey, this first year they were running the show!! One can only laugh about all this LOL. Of course Cocoa knows nothing, sees nothing, and has a Huge Imagination LOL. Dreams things up while he sleeps at night! LOL!

The guy gave up. He threw away coaches, had bad relationships with players, coaches, and anyone else he came around. Focused on one part of the game, and recruited to that. He did very little with a Heisman winner as quarterback.

The guy gave up. He threw away coaches, had bad relationships with players, coaches, and anyone else he came around. Focused on one part of the game, and recruited to that. He did very little with a Heisman winner as quarterback.
The guy had a Scarlet Letter put on his Coaching Jacket by the Clowns. What about the rest of what he did while at UL. You happy with those Championships, Rankings, and wins??? Just askin??

Coach Bobby Petrino Bears, win a share of the MVC Crown, in contention for a NCAA playoff birth. Of Course Coach Petrino is a AH, that forgot every thing he knew about football, this in one season at UL. Of course this all happened, after some Unknown Clowns sewed, a Scarlet Letter on his Coaching Jersey, this first year they were running the show!! One can only laugh about all this LOL. Of course Cocoa knows nothing, sees nothing, and has a Huge Imagination LOL. Dreams things up while he sleeps at night! LOL!

Huh? Can’t follow your entire post but it sounds like you are talking about the same guy who essentially gave up on his players, was unable to hire a staff outside of family members and fielded a defense that was historically bad?

Cocoa, I do believe you posted this on the free Football board by mistake. After all you prefer to do your posting on the Premium board, including baseball, even when advised we have a free Louisville Baseball board. Come join us anytime for Louisville Baseball chatter.

😩 Wah! We shouldn’t have fired the guy who gave up and pissed off everyone in and around the UofL football program because now that guy won some games at a small-time college.

Huh? Can’t follow your entire post but it sounds like you are talking about the same guy who essentially gave up on his players, was unable to hire a staff outside of family members and fielded a defense that was historically bad?
Got Black Balled IMO Dude. You would have done the same thing.

Cocoa, I do believe you posted this on the free Football board by mistake. After all you prefer to do your posting on the Premium board, including baseball, even when advised we have a free Louisville Baseball board. Come join us anytime for Louisville Baseball chatter.
Yea I know about the Baseball Board. No mistake posting this here PHCARD. Thought is was worthy of both Boards. Both Free & Premium. It is a note worthy story for all Card fans IMO.

What same thing would I have done? Been an insufferable prick to other coaches such that I would be unable to assemble an ACC quality staff?
You can't figure out that Bobby quit coaching for a reason? Your just not very smart IMO. Perhaps that is why you made your sig KnuckleHank, instead of KnuckleHead. Do you know what a Scarlet Letter is? Go look it up, and you will figure out what happened to Bobby, after Tom Jurich was fired!

Reactions: Larry10
You can't figure out that Bobby quit coaching for a reason? Your just not very smart IMO. Perhaps that is why you made your sig KnuckleHank, instead of KnuckleHead. Do you know what a Scarlet Letter is? Go look it up, and you will figure out what happened to Bobby, after Tom Jurich was fired!
Did Petrino run off Grantham before or after Jurich was fired?
Did Petrino hire unqualified assistants before or after Jurich was fired?
Did Petrino fail to address positions of need in recruiting before or after Jurich was fired?
Did Petrino shut himself off from players before or after Jurich was fired?

Answer to all of the above questions:
-Before Jurich was fired
-Before his father died

There is no excuse for the way that Petrino handled the football program in his last 2 years. Tyra had no choice but to fire him. To argue otherwise is to ignore completely everything I stated above.
I understand that Bobby brought us to the brink of a national title during his first stint, and a Heisman trophy during the second, but he had to be fired in 2018.

The guy had a Scarlet Letter put on his Coaching Jacket by the Clowns. What about the rest of what he did while at UL. You happy with those Championships, Rankings, and wins??? Just askin??
He contributed greatly to UofL's football tradition. But, make no mistake. He quit during the 2018 season. I do think it he didn't quit just to quit. His biggest supporter was gone, and the new regime didn't like him. A lot of us would do what he did, especially if we had a huge buyout. But, at the end of the day, he quit on his team.

Reactions: gocds
He contributed greatly to UofL's football tradition. But, make no mistake. He quit during the 2018 season. I do think it he didn't quit just to quit. His biggest supporter was gone, and the new regime didn't like him. A lot of us would do what he did, especially if we had a huge buyout. But, at the end of the day, he quit on his team.
Much truth in this post. He simply understood his days were numbered. Not gonna wait around to get framed on something, so the Clowns would not have to pay his buyout. Clowns were capable of doing that too. In fact Clowns hired a PI to dig up dirt on TJ. How quickly people forget the actions of a group of Clowns!

Much truth in this post. He simply understood his days were numbered. Not gonna wait around to get framed on something, so the Clowns would not have to pay his buyout. Clowns were capable of doing that too. In fact Clowns hired a PI to dig up dirt on TJ. How quickly people forget the actions of a group of Clowns!

Really classy post! I could give a shit what you think about me. I don’t know anything about you. However, your posts indicate that you don’t know a damn thing about football, nor about why Petrino was ultimately unsuccessful in Bobby 2.0. If Bobby didn’t think his boss liked him, then boo hoo. In the years I played college football, my coaches stressed perseverance and being there for the guy next to you. If Bobby quits on his guys to get a buyout, then that shows he isn’t a good leader of young men.

Reactions: gocds and GoldCard
Really classy post! I could give a shit what you think about me. I don’t know anything about you. However, your posts indicate that you don’t know a damn thing about football, nor about why Petrino was ultimately unsuccessful in Bobby 2.0. If Bobby didn’t think his boss liked him, then boo hoo. In the years I played college football, my coaches stressed perseverance and being there for the guy next to you. If Bobby quits on his guys to get a buyout, then that shows he isn’t a good leader of young men.
Have you ever worked in a Job with conditions, where your boss wanted you gone, and was actively working to fire you, and not pay your contract that was due?? I think not because you would have reacted in the same way Bobby did. Most people would. If your different that is OK. I get it.

Have you ever worked in a Job with conditions, where your boss wanted you gone, and was actively working to fire you, and not pay your contract that was due?? I think not because you would have reacted in the same way Bobby did. Most people would. If your different that is OK. I get it.
I’ve never done your job so shitty that my boss recognized I was bad at the job, was bad for the company, and alienated coworkers. Perhaps you have.

Again, Cocoa, here are some lowlights of Petrino’s last couple of years at UofL:
- cut off access to players.
- chased off a competent DC and replaced him with a vastly inferior DC who couldn’t get the job done at his previous stop.
- chased off a very competent and well-liked assistant coach, who was also the best recruiter.
- alienated local HS football coaches.
AFTER all of the above happened, Petrino gave up on the 2018 season, completely quit on the team, so they quit on him.
The above items are INEXCUSABLE.
He deserved to get fired.
He did NOT deserve a $14 m buyout.
He is gone.
UofL football is better for it.

Again, Cocoa, here are some lowlights of Petrino’s last couple of years at UofL:
- cut off access to players.
- chased off a competent DC and replaced him with a vastly inferior DC who couldn’t get the job done at his previous stop.
- chased off a very competent and well-liked assistant coach, who was also the best recruiter.
- alienated local HS football coaches.
AFTER all of the above happened, Petrino gave up on the 2018 season, completely quit on the team, so they quit on him.
The above items are INEXCUSABLE.
He deserved to get fired.
He did NOT deserve a $14 m buyout.
He is gone.
UofL football is better for it.
Don't agree with much here. Your just repeating the spin, put out by the Clown team that tagged him for termination. Not much for me to comment on, we obviously have different opinions of what exactly happened.

Don't agree with much here. Your just repeating the spin, put out by the Clown team that tagged him for termination. Not much for me to comment on, we obviously have different opinions of what exactly happened.

Do you think Brian Van Gorder was a competent ACC quality DC? Have you ever looked at the jobs the last Petrino coaching staff got after UofL? Were they also wearing a “scarlet letter” or do you think they weren’t highly sought after in the profession?

Everything, everyone, in this thread, is right. What happened, happened. All of it.

Cocoa thinks facts are “spin.”

From a recent (2016) BBC article:

Repetition makes a fact seem more true, regardless of whether it is or not. Understanding this effect can help you avoid falling for propaganda, says psychologist Tom Stafford.

Bobby Petrino is exactly where he deserves to be. And I don’t give a big rats ass where that is so long as it’s not at the University of Louisville. His tenure here was an embarrassment. May God have mercy on Missouri State or wherever CBP ends up, but thankfully not at UofL.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: Mayoman
There is a reason he is at Missouri State. Simply put he is there because of the results on the field. Whatever we all think about all the changes the program was in shambles after 2018. You can point to all the factors why it went that way but for someone to be paid that much then to obviously quit during the season tells me all I need to know about the man’s character.

In any profession it is what have you done for me lately. His legacy won’t be what it should be because he made the decision to quit. There are 2 professions you better not quit in, military and athletics. He did that twice in his professional career. That is another reason why he is at Missouri freaking State.

I am thankful for the great teams he fielded in 2004 and 2006, for the thrilling bowl wins against Boise State, Wake Forest and Texas A&M and against the incredible regular season home wins against Miami in 2006 and FSU in 2016. Also for the 2016 co-Atlantic Division championship.

Even the heartbreaking losses to West Virginia in 2005 and Clemson in 2016 are some of the best UofL games in my memory.

For all of that, I wish him and his family the very best in all of his future efforts.

Reactions: cocoa and gocds
I don't think we'll understand how far Bobby set us back until we watch the next 2 years.

We didn't have a 2019 class because of him. We were so behind that we rushed in Scott and didn't have a great 2020 class. A lot of his other players transferred out before he arrived. We're going to see the results of him quitting on us the next few years.

We were lucky that we had a few high level guys on the roster when Scott arrived, but now we have to face the years of not having those upperclassmen from 2019 & 2020 classes.

I don’t expect him to be fired from Missouri State because he will almost certainly be hired away by some desperate P5 or ambitious G5 school.

I don’t expect him to be fired from Missouri State because he will almost certainly be hired away by some desperate P5 or ambitious G5 school.
Well, unless he bangs a staffer, or quits on his players, you’re probably right.

• Haha
Reactions: PushupMan
Cocoa, relax; you are entitled to your opinion, but if you think Bobby was not responsible for his own situation, you need to explain to those of us that could never understand Bobby’s performance that led to his termination. From every indication from those around him, he literally lost any sense of performing the job that he was handsomely paid.

I remain convinced that Petrino was an offensive genius, particularly in his early days when he was motivated and had the necessary energy to work at this level. Most believe that his passion and his competitive nature was starting to wain when Lamar left, but it totally evaporated when his father passed away.

Cocoa, relax; you are entitled to your opinion, but if you think Bobby was not responsible for his own situation, you need to explain to those of us that could never understand Bobby’s performance that led to his termination. From every indication from those around him, he literally lost any sense of performing the job that he was handsomely paid.

I remain convinced that Petrino was an offensive genius, particularly in his early days when he was motivated and had the necessary energy to work at this level. Most believe that his passion and his competitive nature was starting to wain when Lamar left, but it totally evaporated when his father passed away.
Not only the pay, but how big of an opportunity we gave him too. Nobody was calling for him at a major program. We brought him back with open arms to a place he quit on just 7 years earlier. He was a national embarrassment, but we still took him back knowing his history. That's why is stings so much harder that he quit on us, honestly it's worse than the Falcons situation.

Now as years go by, I'll forgive him as my Christian faith will push me to doing and I'll remember the Brohm/Bush years along with Lamar's time. I'll remember the Miami win, the Orange Bowl, the beatdown of FSU, the domination of sUcKs, and just bringing a level of fun to UofL football that we never imagined. But, for now I have such a LOW level of respect for that man.

Reactions: jmac1029 and gocds
I am thankful for the great teams he fielded in 2004 and 2006, for the thrilling bowl wins against Boise State, Wake Forest and Texas A&M and against the incredible regular season home wins against Miami in 2006 and FSU in 2016. Also for the 2016 co-Atlantic Division championship.

Even the heartbreaking losses to West Virginia in 2005 and Clemson in 2016 are some of the best UofL games in my memory.

For all of that, I wish him and his family the very best in all of his future efforts.
If Perino still has the coaching mojo, then it is positive that he deliberately went into the tank to "earn" his 14 Million buyout.

If Perino still has the coaching mojo, then it is positive that he deliberately went into the tank to "earn" his 14 Million buyout.
Tend to agree with that. It was Tom Jurich’s fault for making the contract guaranteed money, and the board’s fault for signing off on it.

I believe that about 50% of the 2018 collapse was due to mistakenly putting his faith in a quarterback who looked like the next Cam Newton but played like the next Erik Watts. The brutal come from ahead loss to Florida State, where Petrino needed Juwan Pass to complete a pass to clinch the win, but he instead threw an interception, broke the team’s morale.

Add in that he’d lost his father just a month before the season started and that he’d lost his friend Tom Jurich to Pitino’s multiple violations. Broken team. Broken heart. Broken relationship with his superiors. It’s unsurprising to me that he would do what he could to get out of that situation. And with hard feelings both ways, I’m not surprised that he decided to take what was promised him on the way out.

UofL football will certainly survive.

Last edited:
Tend to agree with that. It was Tom Jurich’s fault for making the contract guaranteed money, and the board’s fault for signing off on it.

I believe that about 50% of the 2018 collapse was due to mistakenly putting his faith in a quarterback who looked like the next Cam Newton but played like the next Erik Watts. The brutal come from ahead loss to Florida State, where Petrino needed Juwan Pass to complete a pass to clinch the win, but he instead threw an interception, broke the team’s morale.

Add in that he’d lost his father just a month before the season started and that he’d lost his friend Tom Jurich to Pitino’s multiple violations. Broken team. Broken heart. Broken relationship with his superiors. It’s unsurprising to me that he would do what he could to get out of that situation. And with hard feelings both ways, I’m not surprised that he decided to take what was promised him on the way out.

UofL football will certainly survive.
PU Man I’ll never understand why he chose to pass the ball in that situation. Just made no sense whatsoever. It cost us the game.

GO CARDS!!!

PU Man I’ll never understand why he chose to pass the ball in that situation. Just made no sense whatsoever. It cost us the game.

GO CARDS!!!
Just being aggressive. He runs the ball, and they don't get a first down, and they have to punt it back to FSU just after FSU had scored a TD on their previous possession. There's no guarantee that the defense can hold FSU out of the end zone with more than one minute left in the game.

Juwan Pass had struggled to that point in the season, and Petrino thinks he's got a future NFL QB in Pass. So he puts the ball in his hands and asks him to win the game by getting the team a first down. Remember the confidence Petrino showed in allowing Hunter Cantwell to pass after Brohm was hurt against Miami in 2006?

Similar situation to that, but in this case Petrino thinks he's got a player with more potential than Cantwell, and he is hoping that success in that situation results in Pass playing up to his potential for the rest of the year.

Just being aggressive. He runs the ball, and they don't get a first down, and they have to punt it back to FSU just after FSU had scored a TD on their previous possession. There's no guarantee that the defense can hold FSU out of the end zone with more than one minute left in the game.

Juwan Pass had struggled to that point in the season, and Petrino thinks he's got a future NFL QB in Pass. So he puts the ball in his hands and asks him to win the game by getting the team a first down. Remember the confidence Petrino showed in allowing Hunter Cantwell to pass after Brohm was hurt against Miami in 2006?

Similar situation to that, but in this case Petrino thinks he's got a player with more potential than Cantwell, and he is hoping that success in that situation results in Pass playing up to his potential for the rest of the year.

I was thinking we were in field goal range when that pass was made.

Reactions: PushupMan and gocds
I was thinking we were in field goal range when that pass was made.
Ah ... that’s correct. We had it at the FSU 21. We run the ball, kick the field goal to go up 27-21. FSU still has plenty of time to score a TD to win, but less because you ran the ball.

You can still win it with a successful throw for a first down, but running it and successfully kicking the 38-40 yard FG makes FSU’s job a lot tougher than what actually happened (interception) or an incomplete pass.

Ah ... that’s correct. We had it at the FSU 21. We run the ball, kick the field goal to go up 27-21. FSU still has plenty of time to score a TD to win, but less because you ran the ball.

You can still win it with a successful throw for a first down, but running it and successfully kicking the 38-40 yard FG makes FSU’s job a lot tougher than what actually happened (interception) or an incomplete pass.
Your memory and explanations are a lot better than mine.😀😂. Thanks!

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: PushupMan
North Dakota 44, Missouri State 10 in the first round of the FCS playoffs. Senior RB Tobias Little had 50 yards rushing for Missouri State. The Bears end their season at 5-5.

North Dakota 44, Missouri State 10 in the first round of the FCS playoffs. Senior RB Tobias Little had 50 yards rushing for Missouri State. The Bears end their season at 5-5.
Thanks for the update.

GO CARDS!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT