ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Norvell Dead Coach Walking:

73Card

1500+
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2006
Norvell is toast. FSU getting sodomized by NC State. Consider Willie Taggart went 5-7 in his first year and the powers to be wanted him whacked. The following season he's 4-5 and gets fired in the first week of November.
QB James Blackman quit the team this week as did another player. Jordan Travis can't stay healthy. Purdy shows flashes but he may not be the guy to fix the offense.
Listening to the FSU radio broadcast, I get the impression Norvell won't be allowed on the bus.

Poetic justice for the kids that backed out of the Louisville commitment and went to FSU instead. I think we will do better than FSU the next couple of years at least.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Norvell is toast. FSU getting sodomized by NC State. Consider Willie Taggart went 5-7 in his first year and the powers to be wanted him whacked. The following season he's 4-5 and gets fired in the first week of November.
QB James Blackman quit the team this week as did another player. Jordan Travis can't stay healthy. Purdy shows flashes but he may not be the guy to fix the offense.
Listening to the FSU radio broadcast, I get the impression Norvell won't be allowed on the bus.
Hard to get on the bus when you are under the bus.

Reactions: 73Card
There is no way they can fire him.
Howard got whacked after 1 year at Oklahoma to name 1 coach who got pinched after 1 season. There are others. It's unusual but not unheard of. If the rumors - speculation that he has " lost the locker room "continue, and he continues to struggle he's gone.

Reactions: rh62531
When you take over a dumpster fire, the fire doesn't stop burning just because you get hired. You have to put out the fire first. And even when the fire is still put out, it's still burnt garbage.

2017 5-7
NEW COACH
2018 5-7
2019 6-7
NEW COACH

FSU has had 3 coaches in 4 seasons. 3 systems in 4 season. A lot of players going in and out. A new coach that had his normal offseason changed where he couldn't do a lot of in-person meetings & close practices to evaluate and teach. Not to mention, a locker room built from 2 previous staffs. Let him get some of his players in there and time to build that locker room. The mess was there before he arrived.

Reactions: RomanOben
When you take over a dumpster fire, the fire doesn't stop burning just because you get hired. You have to put out the fire first. And even when the fire is still put out, it's still burnt garbage.

2017 5-7
NEW COACH
2018 5-7
2019 6-7
NEW COACH

FSU has had 3 coaches in 4 seasons. 3 systems in 4 season. A lot of players going in and out. A new coach that had his normal offseason changed where he couldn't do a lot of in-person meetings & close practices to evaluate and teach. Not to mention, a locker room built from 2 previous staffs. Let him get some of his players in there and time to build that locker room. The mess was there before he arrived.
I agree he inherited a mess. I just don't think the " average " FSU fan see's it the way we do. Ultimately, The AD and President will make the call but the pressure will be immense to fire the guy if they don't start winning.

2017 5-7
NEW COACH
2018 5-7
2019 6-7
NEW COACH

What you are describing is the Ring of FARRRR'd. All jokes aside, it is very difficult to get out of.

What you are describing is the Ring of FARRRR'd. All jokes aside, it is very difficult to get out of.
Miami, Tennessee, Nebraska, USC, Texas
They all seem to be doing the same thing. Fire a good coach & take a risk. Then fire the next guy impatiently thinking you're going to bring in Saban or Urban Meyer. Then it just keeps going on and on & now the big names don't want you anymore. New systems, tarnished brand, locker room and staff turnover. I think we've been lucky, but we've been turning over staffs quick & its hard to build a brand.

Bobby 2003-2006
Krag 2007-2009
Charlie 2010-2013
Bobby 2014-2018
Satterfield 2019-????

That's 5 coaching changes in a 18 year span. John L to Bobby was a consistent transition as they worked together. But every other time it's a new staff, system, goals, assistants, etc. Not to mention we've been in 3 different conferences over that time too. That's why I think we have to give Scott time to build a roster, because too much change is something you can't recover from at the P5 level.

The one program who figured it out was Notre Dame. After they kept firing guys, they finally settled on Brian Kelly. They've been patient & rewarded after not firing him. They're stable at ND now & the program is strong once again. And say Kelly left, they're an attractive job once again.

Reactions: Mayoman
Miami, Tennessee, Nebraska, USC, Texas
They all seem to be doing the same thing. Fire a good coach & take a risk. Then fire the next guy impatiently thinking you're going to bring in Saban or Urban Meyer. Then it just keeps going on and on & now the big names don't want you anymore. New systems, tarnished brand, locker room and staff turnover. I think we've been lucky, but we've been turning over staffs quick & its hard to build a brand.

Bobby 2003-2006
Krag 2007-2009
Charlie 2010-2013
Bobby 2014-2018
Satterfield 2019-????

That's 5 coaching changes in a 18 year span. John L to Bobby was a consistent transition as they worked together. But every other time it's a new staff, system, goals, assistants, etc. Not to mention we've been in 3 different conferences over that time too. That's why I think we have to give Scott time to build a roster, because too much change is something you can't recover from at the P5 level.

The one program who figured it out was Notre Dame. After they kept firing guys, they finally settled on Brian Kelly. They've been patient & rewarded after not firing him. They're stable at ND now & the program is strong once again. And say Kelly left, they're an attractive job once again.
It’s not us giving Satterfield a chance. As you can see in your post, we gave all those coaches at least 3 years, which is what everyone says you have to do to build their team. Only Krags was given the boot at the 3rd year timeline but realistically should have been fired after year 1. Bobby and strong left us. Why can’t we find a coach who wants to be here and make Howard’s prediction a reality?

It’s not us giving Satterfield a chance. As you can see in your post, we gave all those coaches at least 3 years, which is what everyone says you have to do to build their team. Only Krags was given the boot at the 3rd year timeline but realistically should have been fired after year 1. Bobby and strong left us. Why can’t we find a coach who wants to be here and make Howard’s prediction a reality?
Being in the middle hurts. The middle of bad programs who don't care and powerhouses that care too much. We're a program that's not a powerhouse, but we spend BIG MONEY. We were able to bring in really good coaches with good staffs, whereas others in our range. We get good coaches, but then it's hard to keep them long.

In the past, playing in the CUSA & Big East/AAC kinda made it a hard "National Title" sell. Remember the Big East while we were there, Rich Rod left WVU, Edsall left UConn, Schiano left Rutgers, Kelly & Jones left Cincy, and Bobby & Charlie left us. UCF was only able to keep George O'Leary because he wasn't going to be hired after the ND fiasco. Then think about Boise, they tried but finally lost Chip Peterson to Washington. Look at Memphis now as they've lost Fuente & Norvell. WVU themselves couldn't even keep Dana Holgerson and they're in the Big 12 now.

To win a title here, it's going to take a great coach building up this program. Now that great coach will have to prove you can recruit & win big here consistently in the ACC. That coach may leave, but he'll leave us with talent and the brand in much better shape. Charlie, for all the crap we give him, left us with some of the best talent in the nation as we had so many NFL draft picks from his era. Had we hired someone who could've kept the momentum in 2014, we probably are closer to those goals. Charlie truly left us in good enough shape to be an ACC contender, we weren't a smoke/mirrors Big East team that got lucky, we had athletes and size up and down the roster.

FSU has to give him time. They canned Willie after two seasons. Do something similar, and possible coaching candidates tell themselves "they don't give you a chance." I don't know what's happening there. They have talent. Perplexing.

According to the terms of his contract, he's owed 85% of the balance of the contract if he's terminated early. By my math, that comes to around $19 million at this time.

So you're probably right...

Good fact-checking. I assumed the financial ramifications would be too cumbersome. Throw in a pandemic where athletic departments have no money and there’s just no way they can fire him. This is to say nothing of the revolving door they’ve had at HC and what that does to culture, morale, personnel, etc.

According to the terms of his contract, he's owed 85% of the balance of the contract if he's terminated early. By my math, that comes to around $19 million at this time.

If I'm not mistaken, beyond coaching salaries, hasn't it been said that FSU has had money troubles for the last few years? For some reason I remember reading that they aren't able to get money for facility upgrades and other improvements that a traditional power would usually be able to spend.

I agree he inherited a mess. I just don't think the " average " FSU fan see's it the way we do. Ultimately, The AD and President will make the call but the pressure will be immense to fire the guy if they don't start winning.
You’re correct they do not. And some of our fans are in the same mind set. We still have smoke coming from the dumpster and will for a while. The talk of disgruntled players etc. That’s what we’re still dealing with. You can multiply what CSS is dealing with by 10 and that’s where Norvell is right now.

Wow, that is ridiculous. If COVID has shown anything it has shown that these crazy coaching contracts are not sustainable in a downturn. I am a Libertarian and all for the free market but public universities aren't exactly free enterprises.

Counting Taggart's $18 million, that would be $37 million paid out over the last year. And in an environment of less revenue coming in due to Covid. Not many schools could afford that...

ADVERTISEMENT