ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Elam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill Derington you do realize that this is a UofL site? How long would this crap have gone on on CatsLiar? The kid is NOT a 5-Star because he hasn't played or performed like one. It's that simple and nothing you can say can change that. Come back when he's been declared all SEC 1st OR 2nd OR 3rd team. I think we'll be waiting a long time.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Really Zipp, you said redshirting was a thing of the past. No, UK could've used Towles his freshman year, they chose not to burn his redshirt, and burning Barkers redshirt last year when you had a 4 star redshirt sophomore QB would've been brilliant!...
Wrong (again)... I said redshirting as a player development strategy is an artifact. Plenty of kids still redshirt everywhere--the kid's not ready to play. Readiness to play is the driver, not simply because they're freshmen. For all of LPT's alleged recruiting rankings, if your freshmen redshirt, they're not good enough to play.

...Zipp, you and I went back and forth on here about redshirts, you said good programs don't have to do it often...
Again, you don't understand or you're purposely misquoting. Good programs don't redshirt in principle for several reasons... The kids don't want to redshirt, they're good enough that they don't have to, and the best kids are gone after three years anyway. Little of that applies to LPT and your recruits. If they don't play as freshmen, they're not good enough.

...Why in God's name do you hate UK so much, why? I've been respectful to you and Louisville on here, and it's like you can't bring yourself to just have a discussion without somehow slamming UK. For crying out loud, you're an adult and you call UK LPT, I could see if I was being a dick. And I don't care about some obscure writer correcting his statement from 10 years ago.
You're way OT, but after 23,000+ posts, you honestly have to ask these questions? Did your spaceship just land??

There's no hate--that takes too much emotion and obsession. I enjoy discrediting and disrespecting LPT at all times and in all places, mostly because of the reactions it evokes from both fanbases. Simple recreation and relaxation on my part. How dense do you have to be to not understand that?

If you don't wanna engage me, don't engage me. Put me on "ignore", I don't care. Use whatever coping means you have to. Just don't expect me to change. When Matt Hayes says "LPT" no longer applies, I'll probably stop using it. Otherwise, no change.

LPT Football: Perpetual...

Johnny Richardson that was mentioned by a poster on here is listed as 6'3 334lb, if Elam is 6'7 as listed then 360 isn't much of a difference.
Richardson...
Johnny%20Richardson_zps5gffq04n.jpg

Elam...
Matt%20Elam_zpsvy84k0jc.jpg

LPT Football: Not even close...

Last edited:
This kid's actually got a fat roll under his arm. That, or two biceps...

Fat%20Roll_zpskil3ndj8.jpg

LPT Football: Last seen on a Sumo wrestler...

Last edited:
From an August 9th article...

Matt%20Elam%203_zpsstkf37dv.jpg

LPT Football: Not a huge difference, still just huge...

This is pretty hilarious ....

Fat rolls under the arm not withstanding ...

Elam could get his shit together and turn out ok. I wouldn't hold my breath because the drive to do that, he hasn't exhibited in the least since he got there, but, anything is possible I suppose.

However, I'm betting he's more like Dennis Johnson (all world recruit, that UK fans pined for, who would up being just a serviceable player for the defense) and less like Terrence Cody (also mentioned in this thread, which is why I used him as an example).

Zipp's point is a very valid one --- UK has a history of taking the highly hyped Kentucky high school wonder-kind, and being disappointed in the outcome.

And like I said --- I'll take the "Sheldon Rankins - Amobi Okoye - Deangelo Brown - Leland Taylor - Donovan Arp - Pio Vatuvei - Johnny D'Asian Richardson" 's of the world every day, rather than the over-hyped, Kentucky school boy wonder kids that UK takes.

Maybe we just develop them a helluva lot better. Maybe they have a much better drive. Maybe it's both. But regardless ... we do more with less, and have so consistently. That is unarguable.

This is pretty hilarious ....

Fat rolls under the arm not withstanding ...

Elam could get his shit together and turn out ok. I wouldn't hold my breath because the drive to do that, he hasn't exhibited in the least since he got there, but, anything is possible I suppose.

However, I'm betting he's more like Dennis Johnson (all world recruit, that UK fans pined for, who would up being just a serviceable player for the defense) and less like Terrence Cody (also mentioned in this thread, which is why I used him as an example).

Zipp's point is a very valid one --- UK has a history of taking the highly hyped Kentucky high school wonder-kind, and being disappointed in the outcome.

And like I said --- I'll take the "Sheldon Rankins - Amobi Okoye - Deangelo Brown - Leland Taylor - Donovan Arp - Pio Vatuvei - Johnny D'Asian Richardson" 's of the world every day, rather than the over-hyped, Kentucky school boy wonder kids that UK takes.

Maybe we just develop them a helluva lot better. Maybe they have a much better drive. Maybe it's both. But regardless ... we do more with less, and have so consistently. That is unarguable.

Again, where and how do you guys come to the conclusion Elam has no drive?

From an August 9th article...

Matt%20Elam%203_zpsstkf37dv.jpg

LPT Football: Not a huge difference, still just huge...

He's big, and quick. That's exactly why he was so highly rated. Do you think you know more about football than college head coaches like Saban?
It doesn't matter you can think whatever you like.

As far as the red shirting, you can twist it however you like.

Again, where and how do you guys come to the conclusion Elam has no drive?

The conclusion is, he was given a target weight to play, and when it's easiest to make massive changes in body style --- your late teens, early twenties --- he has failed to achieve that, in the 18-24 months since he signed to play for UK.

THAT is where I infer his lack of discipline and drive.

You can argue with me.

But it won't change my mind.

That is the epitome of laziness. Jared Lorenzen busted his ass to maintain an acceptable playing weight. And you can see what happens when he doesn't have the incentive to stay at that weight. He BALOONS to seriously unhealthy proportions.

Elam is on the same path.

He lost around 30-40 pounds his freshman year while adding a lot of muscle. He's changed his body quite a bit if you see a side by side picture. You've taken his quote out of context anyways. He's saying he likes to joke around but when it's time to be serious he gets serious. He's not saying that he's yet to get serious.
Seriously, ZIPPERLEE taking something out of context. I can't believe ANYONE especially Zipp-de-do da would take ANYTHING out of context. Sheesh

The conclusion is, he was given a target weight to play, and when it's easiest to make massive changes in body style --- your late teens, early twenties --- he has failed to achieve that, in the 18-24 months since he signed to play for UK.

You can argue with me.

That is the epitome of laziness. Jared Lorenzen busted his ass to maintain an acceptable playing weight. And you can see what happens when he doesn't have the incentive to stay at that weight. He BALOONS to seriously unhealthy proportions.

ounce of knowledge about UK football you might be able to talk smack If you look at a picture from Elam reporting his Freshman year to bfore start of fall camp this year you will see he has worked extremely hard on his body. If you can't see that then you don't have a clue. Plus how do you know he has not met his target weight? You room with him? Again talking crap out of your mouth about things you no NOTHING about.

You can argue with me.

Im pretty sure Lorenzen was never at the ideal weight the coaches wanted him to be unless they wanted a 290 pound qb.

Youre calling someone lazy that has lost 36 pounds in a year all the while in a regimen to put on muscle mass.

It wouldn't matter if he was at 350, you'd still think something ill about the kid all because he chose UK over Louisville, that's part of being a fan I guess.

Im pretty sure Lorenzen was never at the ideal weight the coaches wanted him to be unless they wanted a 290 pound qb.

Youre calling someone lazy that has lost 36 pounds in a year all the while in a regimen to put on muscle mass.

It wouldn't matter if he was at 350, you'd still think something ill about the kid all because he chose UK over Louisville, that's part of being a fan I guess.

I honestly don't care that he chose UK ... Louisville was never an option for him - he never seriously considered the Cards. And that's fine. Like I said ... I'd take Sheldon Rankins over him every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

We'll see how well he plays at his weight now. How long he can stay on the field. Time will tell.

But you and I both know, he'd be even quicker, and more agile, and more effective at 350 pounds (still a VERY large man) than at his current weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT