ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall vs. Louisville

Herd Fever

No-Ranking Prospect
Sep 25, 2008
I want to personally thank you for keeping the game scheduled and not cancelling us like Miami, Tennessee, WVU, and TCU have all done in the past.

I hope we can give you guys a better game than your first 3 opponents but we in Herd Nation is excited to have yall as our guest this weekend

Looking forward to it. Many of us are not taking the Herd lightly. It was a tough loss to Akron, but Marshall has owned Louisville the last 4 meetings. I just hope our team is as focused on their opponent this week as they were last week.

I want to personally thank you for keeping the game scheduled and not cancelling us like Miami, Tennessee, WVU, and TCU have all done in the past.

I hope we can give you guys a better game than your first 3 opponents but we in Herd Nation is excited to have yall as our guest this weekend
you guys have owned us the last four meetings and some reason card nation is overlooking our match up.

I am glad the team is taking you serious though.

Not all of us. Some of us have (a healthy respect for the Thundering Herd.) Hopefully coach Petrino has the attention of his team to have respect or this game will be much closer than the spread indicates it's supposed to be.

Thank You! I have a lot of "respect" for the Ville as well. You guys are the for "real deal" this year. Don't let the Akron score fool you. Akron scored (34 unanswered points in the 2nd qrt). Penalty's, fumbles, blocked punt, you name it and it went terribly wrong! It was one of the worse Ive even seen at the Joan. Anything that could have went wrong did. Take away that 2nrd qrt, and we win the game. This is going to be a very fun game. I expect it to be much closer than what a lot of people think. I hope we can always play the Ville. One thing your fans will enjoy is our " Fan Hospitality" that we're known to extend to the visiting team.

Would be nice to take away the quarter that beats a team. I'm sure FSU would like to eliminate the 2nd quarter last Saturday. I think the Cards will pound you guys pretty good. Having that game against Syracuse and their up tempo pass happy game will be a big plus for our defense. I think the spread will be passed before the 4th quarter.

Louisville 59
Marshall 24

Reactions: American Male
Would be nice to take away the quarter that beats a team. I'm sure FSU would like to eliminate the 2nd quarter last Saturday. I think the Cards will pound you guys pretty good. Having that game against Syracuse and their up tempo pass happy game will be a big plus for our defense. I think the spread will be passed before the 4th quarter.

Louisville 59
Marshall 24

Im holding you to this score:):)

Hey, anything can happen that's for sure, but the Cards are hitting on all cylinders. Those last four games Marshall won against the Cards don't mean a thing. This team is a much different animal.

I'm just happy we're playing you guys again. However, I wish it was back in 2014 the original date, lol...as you said, and I agree, the Ville is a different animal now. Hopefully, we can tame you again:)

I'm just happy we're playing you guys again. However, I wish it was back in 2014 the original date, lol...as you said, and I agree, the Ville is a different animal now. Hopefully, we can tame you again:)
It just might be the Herd was looking past Akron. I remember many loses to the Herd. I take very few games for granted and never Marshall. I doubt are team will. I wish I could have made the trip but not possible this time.

No disrespect, but I don't know anything about Marshall. What are your strengths and weaknesses, names to watch, etc? Good luck--but not too much!!--on Saturday...

I'm with those here that know the struggles that we've had against Marshall.That stat is a trend and a battle will be fought Saturday night on that field.Our guys will get busted in the mouth.I think they'll return the punches.Tough game here.

I really just don't get you guys. Unless you believe that the Cards will not be focused and looking past Marshall, why would the Cards not put another hurting on a overmatched team? This continued reference to these past games against Marshall also make no sense with this upcoming game. There is zero in common with this team and that last team that played Marshall. Remember Teddy's first career start and that anemic offense ran by coach Watson?

I believe we have a big time talent advantage over Marshall and I don't think Petrino or the players are going to be unfocused in this game. I guess I could be wrong but I doubt it. Lamar and company are going to come in and roll over the Thundering Herd like they have done to the three other teams we have played this season.

Last edited:
I really just don't get you guys. Unless you believe that the Cards will not be focused and looking past Marshall, why would the Cards not put another hurting on a overmatched team? This continued reference to these past games against Marshall also make no sense with this upcoming game. There is zero in common with this team and that last team that played Marshall. Remember Teddy's first career start and that anemic offense ran by coach Watson?

I believe we have a big time talent advantage over Marshall and I don't think Petrino or the players are going to be unfocused in this game. I guess I could be wrong but I doubt it. Lamar and company are going to come in and roll over the Thundering Herd like they have done to the three other teams we have played this season.

I've heard that talk before. Louisville lost. You might not know the history. Marshall has beaten very good Louisville teams. Those green uniforms have kryptonite in them. Louisville better be prepared and hungry.

I've heard that talk before. Louisville lost. You might not know the history. Marshall has beaten very good Louisville teams. Those green uniforms have kryptonite in them. Louisville better be prepared and hungry.
Really? Very good Louisville teams? Like the John L Smith teams in the bowl games? Nowhere near this Louisville team. Or the 7-6 team that averaged barely 20 points a game? Again, nothing like this team.

I can see that not all Cards fans are as confident in their team. Of course you always have to respect your opponent, but I would think that seeing would be believing when your team has scored over 60 points in each game so far. Throw in what looks like the best college football player with a brilliant playcalling coach and a veteran defense that terrorizes QB's, and you have plenty of reasons to feel confident in at least doing what Akron did to Marshall. All this about Marshall winning in the past just boggles the mind. Unless of course you're just superstitious. Some of you are acting like since Marshall has won four in a roll, (Over a 24 year period) they will somehow transform that magic into this game or the Cards will be so overconfident and looking ahead that they will play like crap. Which is it? Do you know that before this 4 game winning streak by Marshall, the Cards had won 8 in a roll?

FSU was 14-2 against the Cards and did that matter last Saturday? I get always being a little concerned when playing on the road and the Cards will have to be focused or the game will be closer than they like. However, this team is special, and if we're a serious contender for the playoff then taking care of a Marshall team who's played Morgan State and Akron and gave up 64 to the Zips, should not be all that much of a problem. That's where I'm at right now in the season. Who knows? Maybe there is kryptonite in those green unis but I believe this Louisville team is built out of lead.

I like how we're playing in all facets right now.

If we were struggling in any area I'd be more concerned - but we aren't struggling anywhere.

Looks like they can score, but their D looks over matched, which means you got to keep an eye on trick plays from their special teams. I expect them to go with a wide open approach to try to keep their fans in it. Onside kicks, fake punts, whatever it's going to be - there is no way they try to play this one straight up.

I like how we're playing in all facets right now.

If we were struggling in any area I'd be more concerned - but we aren't struggling anywhere.

Looks like they can score, but their D looks over matched, which means you got to keep an eye on trick plays from their special teams. I expect them to go with a wide open approach to try to keep their fans in it. Onside kicks, fake punts, whatever it's going to be - there is no way they try to play this one straight up.
which is why I am glad the players are taking this more importantly than the fans seem to be. even the damn radio show (R&R) is talking about Clemson instead of Marshall.

we are the last team that should ever have an elitist attitude.

FSU had an elitist attitude and we served them a crap sandwich.

Louisville needs to focus so that Marshall does not serve us a humbling crap sandwich.

Reactions: PushupMan

That would have been a great game ... you guys had a great QB in Cato at that time, and we were struggling to find consistency at the QB spot, but we were a good team because we had all of those future NFL draft picks (10 in 2015).

I personally appreciate that Marshall was willing to accommodate the postponement so that we could add Notre Dame to our schedule that year. I got to check a trip to South Bend off of my bucket list, and even better I got to watch a 31-28 UofL victory.

Last edited:
The Herd has has kicked our a$$ several times. They are not to be direspected. They have beaten some very good Louisville teams.

The 1998 team was decent - they were 7-4 before they lost to Marshall and Pennington in the Motor City Bowl. That team had a pretty bad defense, but Petrino was our offensive coordinator that year. The other three losses in the current four game streak were over two more decent teams (2011: 7-6, 2002: 7-6) and one bad team (1987: 3-7-1, Schnellenberger's third year).

Last edited:
Reactions: beasleythecard
Don't you remember all that plaid and bellbottoms Matthew was wearing in that movie? It was the 70's man. The 4 game streak started in 1987.

Louisville (coached then by Lee Corso) actually played Marshall in Louisville just about a month before the tragic plane crash. Louisville won 16-14.

After the plane crash, Louisville didn't play Marshall again until 1977. The coach that Matthew McConaughey played in "We Are Marshall" (Jack Lengyel) finished his career as head coach at Marshall after the 1974 season, so he was already gone by then. Louisville won 56-0 at Marshall that year, and then again four years later in Louisville, a 36-0 victory for Louisville. That victory is our last win against Marshall.

Jack Lengyel was actually an associate/acting AD at UofL from 1978-1980.

I really just don't get you guys. Unless you believe that the Cards will not be focused and looking past Marshall, why would the Cards not put another hurting on a overmatched team?

So you do get us after all!

That's part of it, but I would not call the matchup of UofL's defense versus Marshall's offense "overmatched". Marshall may not have 5-star players on offense like FSU did, but they are a very good offense, anchored up front by three all-conference linemen (per Phil Steele's preseason magazine). As good as our defense is, we will flat out have our hands full against those guys - they can score the football. Holding them under 30 points in a game this year will be a great accomplishment for anybody. Akron's defense got close by turning Marshall over 4 times.

Most defenses are going to be overmatched against our offense, assuming we execute it as well as we did against FSU and Charlotte, and for the first and fourth quarters against Syracuse. So you are correct about that side of the ball. Until the FSU game though, we did have a problem with drops and turnovers - 6 fumbles against Syracuse and luckily we only lost two of them.....

Which gets us back to the excerpt I took from your previous post - our focus for this game has to be a question mark until we see it on the field. How could it not, with the unprecedented notoriety the program has received, and the prospect of playing our second top 5 team next weekend? With a win there, we become the overwhelming favorite to win the Atlantic Division for the first time in program history. It will take great leadership by our coaches and seniors to have the entire team focused on Marshall this weekend.

Last edited:
We can not over look Marshall!

Louisville is (16-12) against Marshall

Average score: Louisville 19.8 - Marshall 16.6

Per decade
W L T PFPG PAPG

2010's 0 1 0 13.0 17.0
2000's 0 1 0 15.0 38.0
1990's 0 1 0 29.0 48.0
1980's 1 1 0 33.5 17.0
1970's 2 0 0 36.0 7.0
1960's 9 1 0 23.8 10.5
1950's 1 0 0 48.0 6.0
1940's 0 0 0 0 0
1930's 1 1 0 6.5 36.0
1920's 2 6 0 7.4 16.3

All games
2011/10/01 Louisville 13 - Marshall 17 L
2002/12/18 Louisville 15 - Marshall 38 L !! GMAC Bowl !!
1998/12/23 Louisville 29 - Marshall 48 L !! Motor City Bowl !!
1987/10/10 Louisville 31 - Marshall 34 L
1981/10/03 Louisville 36 - Marshall 0 W
1977/10/29 Louisville 56 - Marshall 0 W
1970/10/17 Louisville 16 - Marshall 14 W
1969/10/18 Louisville 34 - Marshall 17 W
1968/10/19 Louisville 13 - Marshall 10 W
1967/10/21 Louisville 43 - Marshall 7 W
1966/10/22 Louisville 35 - Marshall 15 W
1965/10/23 Louisville 23 - Marshall 7 W
1964/10/24 Louisville 6 - Marshall 28 L
1963/10/26 Louisville 27 - Marshall 14 W
1962/09/29 Louisville 18 - Marshall 0 W
1961/09/30 Louisville 32 - Marshall 7 W
1960/10/29 Louisville 7 - Marshall 0 W
1959/10/31 Louisville 48 - Marshall 6 W
1932/09/24 Louisville 0 - Marshall 60 L
1930/11/15 Louisville 13 - Marshall 12 W
1929/10/26 Louisville 6 - Marshall 25 L
1928/11/24 Louisville 0 - Marshall 13 L
1927/10/22 Louisville 6 - Marshall 37 L
1926/11/20 Louisville 27 - Marshall 3 W
1925/11/26 Louisville 7 - Marshall 2 W
1924/11/27 Louisville 6 - Marshall 16 L
1922/11/30 Louisville 7 - Marshall 21 L
1921/11/26 Louisville 0 - Marshall 13 L

Don't you remember all that plaid and bellbottoms Matthew was wearing in that movie? It was the 70's man. The 4 game streak started in 1987.

The Ville as a city is certainly blessed! You guys have a few
fortune 500 companies there. Not to mention, the great Kentucky Derby, Muhammad Ali, etc.. Huntington at one time was bigger than Lexington. We lost half of our population and jobs. Marshall doesn't have "access to the money" you guys have. This is what makes our school and team so "special", because we have to do with a hell of a lot less to compete. I'm not even going to compare budgets, you guys definitely would blow us out the water. lol. I hope we can continue this series. I have a lot of friends that live in the Ville, I try and visit there as often as possible. Saturday's game might be a little closer, than what the experts are predicting. Don't be "surprised" if it is:)

Tom Jurich will not cancel a return game with any opponent. It's happened so many times to him during his 19 years as AD, it's not a practice he approves of.

The Ville as a city is certainly blessed! You guys have a few
fortune 500 companies there. Not to mention, the great Kentucky Derby, Muhammad Ali, etc.. Huntington at one time was bigger than Lexington. We lost half of our population and jobs. Marshall doesn't have "access to the money" you guys have. This is what makes our school and team so "special", because we have to do with a hell of a lot less to compete. I'm not even going to compare budgets, you guys definitely would blow us out the water. lol. I hope we can continue this series. I have a lot of friends that live in the Ville, I try and visit there as often as possible. Saturday's game might be a little closer, than what the experts are predicting. Don't be "surprised" if it is:)
Okay, tell us what it is exactly that gives you confidence the game will be closer than expected. Hope it's not the nonsense some Cards fans hold because the Cards have lost four in a roll over a 23 year period. What is it about this game? These players? You know why I am confident the Cards will win big, but you haven't given a reason for your optimism. I'm not saying your team is not legit. The Akron game may be a fluke but some say the Cards win over FSU was a fluke.

I suspect Marshall will score like Syracuse did against us. That fast pace passing game is tough to defend all game, but I see the Cards offense and special teams dominating the Thundering Herd. But we'll see.

Okay, tell us what it is exactly that gives you confidence the game will be closer than expected. Hope it's not the nonsense some Cards fans hold because the Cards have lost four in a roll over a 23 year period. What is it about this game? These players? You know why I am confident the Cards will win big, but you haven't given a reason for your optimism. I'm not saying your team is not legit. The Akron game may be a fluke but some say the Cards win over FSU was a fluke.

I suspect Marshall will score like Syracuse did against us. That fast pace passing game is tough to defend all game, but I see the Cards offense and special teams dominating the Thundering Herd. But we'll see.

We have what's called, "We Are Marshall" Pride at the Joan, when the stakes are on the line. We had a big time letdown last
week. This team is a lot better, than what happened last week. This is going to be an interesting game.

We have what's called, "We Are Marshall" Pride at the Joan, when the stakes are on the line. We had a big time letdown last
week. This team is a lot better, than what happened last week. This is going to be an interesting game.
So it's superstition? If Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson or Michigan was coming in to play you would feel the same way?

So it's superstition? If Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson or Michigan was coming in to play you would feel the same way?

Those teams you mentioned above would never come here to play. We did play Ohio State and they beat us on a last second field goal, 24-21 at their place. Are you coming to the game? if so, you will get to witness first hand the atmosphere here.

Reactions: Morgantown Card
Those teams you mentioned above would never come here to play. We did play Ohio State and they beat us on a last second field goal, 24-21 at their place. Are you coming to the game? if so, you will get to witness first hand the atmosphere here.
Unfortunately, I cannot attend. Atmosphere? The Cards have played at Clemson, at FSU, and at Notre Dame in just the last 3 years. Pretty tough atmospheres. But if that is what you're counting on, well nothing quiets a home crowd more than continued TD'S. I will let you be. I admire Marshall for all they had to go through since that tragedy so many years ago. I do like you guys better than WVU that's for sure.

As a Louisville fan and graduate that lives in Ashland (30 minutes from Marshall) I completely understand what E-man is saying. I wouldn't call it superstition but Marshall fans and players have a lot of pride. Playing in their stadium can be tough. I've never been a fan of Marshall but have tremendous respect for their football program. Although, I think we will eventually win big the 1st half of the game could very well be the closest game we have had this year.

Expect a competitive game and just want to get out of there with a win....too many crazy things so far this season...just last week Wisconsin had to come back late in the 4th Quarter to beat Georgia State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT