ADVERTISEMENT

Mack is the extreme favorite...

The oddest breed of fan is the one that derives equal joy out of the team winning as losing.
Not nearly as much "joy" as posting you in this line-up...

parade%20of%20fools%202_zpsdkfvdkfu.jpg

No. The point is when you go with a shoe company, go with the winner that makes your program better. Go with the one that controls the NCAA so you won't get a title taken away. Don't go with the one that just makes Rick Pitino even richer.
So go with the architects of pay-for-play?

And nix a $160 million contract at the same time?

Pure genius...
Rick may have got the bulk of the money in the old agreement but not in the new $160 million agreement. Nike ain’t walking through that door with a bag of cash!
Shorty, you're wasting your time trying to school some people. Better to just mock them...

It's because 1) we can't afford it 2) No coach in the game today outside of Roy, Cow, K, and maybe Brad Stevens could reasonably command that type of money. Not sure they could either.

Your rants are tiresome. The clown show blah blah blah. Tyra blah blah blah. I feel sorry for you truly buddy. A pseudo-intellect who posts and attacks incessantly on a message board, filling it daily with negativity about the program he "supports?"
You're lost. What happened to the $7 million-plus we were paying Pitino? That kinda money will get any coach to talk to you.

You've just lowered the bar on your program...

So go with the architects of pay-for-play?

And nix a $160 million contract at the same time?

Pure genius...

Shorty, you're wasting your time trying to school some people. Better to just mock them...
Should have never gone this far. We switch to Nike after our last Adidas contract was up and our program is still intact, your beloved Pitino is still our coach, and we have access to the best college players all with the blessing of the NCAA. We would be getting paid too and not all that much less than the 160 million you are tossing around. Going with Adidas basically was the biggest factor in destroying our program and will be the biggest factor in how difficult it will be to rebuild it. As I said, even if we could hire Coach K, he would not do all that great here because he would no longer be able to recruit the best players thanks to the Adidas millstone around our neck.

Reactions: wilkie01
Should have never gone this far. We switch to Nike after our last Adidas contract was up and our program is still intact, your beloved Pitino is still our coach, and we have access to the best college players all with the blessing of the NCAA. We would be getting paid too and not all that much less than the 160 million you are tossing around. Going with Adidas basically was the biggest factor in destroying our program and will be the biggest factor in how difficult it will be to rebuild it. As I said, even if we could hire Coach K, he would not do all that great here because he would no longer be able to recruit the best players thanks to the Adidas millstone around our neck.

Cause its hurting Kansas...

And what about Under Armour? Is that hurting ND or UCLA?

Why are you so zealous about joining a monopoly, if things are as you say. Do you just want to be one of the club that bad? Do you have an endorsement deal with Nike? Stock?

You can stop whining about it. Louisville is an Adidas school and will remain an Adidas school.

Reactions: TDredbird
And for that reason will not get the top players and will be on the NCAA's radar. How is that working out for you?

So you have evidence that the NCAA is targeting Louisville because of their deal with Adidas?

Again, how’s that affecting Kansas?

Pehaps you could transition from blogger to a real journalist and conduct your own investigation into this whole Nike/NCAA conspiracy.

Reactions: TDredbird
So you have evidence that the NCAA is targeting Louisville because of their deal with Adidas?

Again, how’s that affecting Kansas?
How much evidence do you need? Do you have any evidence that being with Adidas does anything good for the program except bring a few more bucks in and financially benefited Pitino personally?

How much evidence do you need? Do you have any evidence that being with Adidas does anything good for the program except bring a few more bucks in and financially benefited Pitino personally?

How much does our current deal benefit Pitino?

I’ll ask a third time: Is it hurting Kansas?

It also benefits more programs than just basketball - especially soccer. Adidas is a worldwide brand.

Are you aware there’s an FBI investigation going & when all is said & done Nike will probably be up s(85’s creek without a paddle? Nike is not going to be the savior here.

Adidas has always been shoes that foreign soccer players wear. Nike and Under Armour are far better choices for recruiting American athletics.
Nike controls the recruiting business for college basketball. They bribe the NCAA through their advertising dollars to ESPN that flow right into the NCAA's pocket. The fact that the big Nike schools get away with murder now is not even in question. The treatment given to UNC vs what we got cannot credibly be explained any other way.

MM's strategy: If you're gonna be crooked, be really crooked...

MM's strategy: If you're gonna be crooked, be really crooked...

based on your avatar, that is more likely your strategy.

Keep posting Mr 35,000, your almost halfway to credibility.

Tom's still in town BTW, i saw him out at a local pub wearing a blue shirt watching the UK/Florida game like he had money on it. Maybe you guys should hang out...

Reactions: DeadAhead
I am looking forward to not thinking about what kind of hair transplant/rug/die our coach may be using...that alone is good enough for me and CCM fits the bill. Good hire in my book.

what about rick stansbury...from WKU...I always like him at Miss St. also...good coach, character....

LOL...now up to seven posts. Keep cranking (age)17...

You really are stuck on how many posts i have. Since you are profile stalking me, maybe you can note that i joined in 2006, so just maybe these arent my 1st 8 posts and i just haven't posted in a while (or since post counts were reset at some point).

I should probably stop going back and forth with you here though, i'm afraid the next step is finding my mug in your mancrush list that curiously follows a great number of your 35,000 posts.

1 decent post outweighs 35,000+ senseless ones

good day

Last edited:
Nike controls the recruiting business for college basketball. They bribe the NCAA through their advertising dollars to ESPN that flow right into the NCAA's pocket. The fact that the big Nike schools get away with murder now is not even in question. The treatment given to UNC vs what we got cannot credibly be explained any other way.

Interesting theory. So...what about Kansas?

What good record? He's been to ONE Elite Eight. Tom Crean's been to a Final Four. So has Kelvin Sampson. Thad Matta's been to two.

The low bar that clown show apologists use seems to extend out to Chris Mack for some reason...

parade%20of%20fools_zpskpipxzq5.jpg
Hey zipp not picking a fight because I am not sure who I want besides maybe Jay Wright but assuming we tried and couldn't get Wright, who would be the next guy on your list? I know your going to say we should be shooting for the stars and TJ would have gone after Billy D or Brad Stephens or Jay Wright, but experts in CBB will say those are extreme long shots due to various reasons. Just curious as to your list and where does Chris Mack fall on that list. I understand he isn't the perfect candidate but who is better? I certainly would not want IU leftovers; Kelvin, Crean or broken down Thad Motta.

There is always something wrong with every candidate so you have to figure out who can be successful here in our situation and hope he is a good fit. Are you against him just because VT is hiring him or because you have a better option in mind?

What about it? I don't remember saying every single Adidas school has a target on their back. I think one reason we do is because of a key Nike program down the road.
A clown show apologist who's also a conspiracy theorist. There oughta be some crazy things rolling around in that mind!...

What about it? I don't remember saying every single Adidas school has a target on their back. I think one reason we do is because of a key Nike program down the road.

Ah, okay...I think I got it. It's a Nike conspiracy focused solely on the University of Louisville because we are affiliated with Adidas. But Kansas isn't affected because they don't have an instate rival outfitted by Nike - uh, except K-State.

All the more reason for us to be affiliated with a different shoe company. If you want to root for Nike or UK, you know where the door is. Kansas recruiting isn't hampered by Adidas, and neither is ours. You just want to be a part of the club. Bless your heart.

Hey zipp not picking a fight because I am not sure who I want besides maybe Jay Wright but assuming we tried and couldn't get Wright, who would be the next guy on your list? I know your going to say we should be shooting for the stars and TJ would have gone after Billy D or Brad Stephens or Jay Wright, but experts in CBB will say those are extreme long shots due to various reasons. Just curious as to your list and where does Chris Mack fall on that list. I understand he isn't the perfect candidate but who is better? I certainly would not want IU leftovers; Kelvin, Crean or broken down Thad Motta.

There is always something wrong with every candidate so you have to figure out who can be successful here in our situation and hope he is a good fit. Are you against him just because VT is hiring him or because you have a better option in mind?
Good constructive questions... I'm not against Mack in principle. He would likely be the right hire at the right time by the right person.

But that ain't right outta the chute unless you have the demonstrated acumen of a guy like Jurich--who also can make a mistake! The so-called "AD" we have now has no credentials to survey the landscape, key on one guy who has little more than potential, and then conclude "that's the right guy". I'm sorry, Tyra just doesn't have that level of credibility.

We also have the resources--or we used to--to regard a guy like Chris Mack as a fallback hire. We could lay a $7 million compensation package in front of a premier coach and get that person's interest. Our program has (had) the money, the history, the platform/stage, and the pedigree. How much of that the clown show has frittered away is maybe an issue.

I'm not an authority on all things basketball. But the coaches I know about who make my category of "home run hire" are the names we've discussed: Stevens, Wright, Donovan, Bennett, Few, etc. And there are others. People get hung up on one name, but who cares? That's one less guy on the list. But in general, they're recognized as the most accomplished coaches in the game under 55 years of age.

The person also needs to be able to rally a disaffected fanbase. Name alone can do that and should. If a guy's a little short on name recognition, he needs to be great communicator and a slam dunk performer. Next tier down guys like Chris Mack are short on those attributes.

And does Tyra necessarily have to land one of those guys? No. He needs to make it clear that those are the type of coaches he's pursuing. He's not aiming low, saving money, and trying to gloss over the difference. Not if he's anywhere close to being the guy his predecessor was...

Ah, okay...I think I got it. It's a Nike conspiracy focused solely on the University of Louisville because we are affiliated with Adidas. But Kansas isn't affected because they don't have an instate rival outfitted by Nike - uh, except K-State.

All the more reason for us to be affiliated with a different shoe company. If you want to root for Nike or UK, you know where the door is. Kansas recruiting isn't hampered by Adidas, and neither is ours. You just want to be a part of the club. Bless your heart.
The fact you view Kansas State and Louisville as the same thing in terms of basketball kind of means this is not worth my time any more.

The fact you view Kansas State and Louisville as the same thing in terms of basketball kind of means this is not worth my time any more.

I bet you think you’re winning this debate, don’t you? You aren’t going to derail this conversation into a debate about KSU vs Louisville.
I get it, your logic is so sound, that there’s just nothing left to say.
But what exactly are your expectations with recruiting? Are you advocating for more OaDs? I could care less if the next coach comes in here and lands a couple of 2-stars as long as the play hard and smart. Look how much talent Cal has brought through their program. How many titles does he have? I prefer a well-coached TEAM with some talent over a gaggle of AAU brats. And unfortunately for you, and Nike, and UK - that well is drying up real fast. The system will change. Players that want to be paid will opt for the expanded NBDL, and kids who want to play ball for an education will be who we target.

Last edited:
I bet you think you’re winning this debate, don’t you? You aren’t going to derail this conversation into a debate about KSU vs Louisville.
I get it, your logic is so sound, that there’s just nothing left to say.
But what exactly are your expectations with recruiting? Are you advocating for more OaDs? I could care less if the next coach comes in here and lands a couple of 2-stars as long as the play hard and smart. Look how much talent Cal has brought through their program. How many titles does he have? I prefer a well-coached TEAM with some talent over a gaggle of AAU brats. And unfortunately for you, and Nike, and UK - that well is drying up real fast. The system will change. Players that want to be laid will opt for the expanded NBDL, and kids who want to play ball for an education will be who we target.

Yeah but a lot of that has to do with Cal letting them be free. If you look at K, he's getting OaD's yearly and can actually coach. Often times Cal's talented team bails him out whereas K, he can coach. I think we can all agree Cal isn't a great late game coach...the talent he has most of the time covers that up. If you take a talented coach + talented players, you get get success. That's what I want and hope to get..

Yeah but a lot of that has to do with Cal letting them be free. If you look at K, he's getting OaD's yearly and can actually coach. Often times Cal's talented team bails him out whereas K, he can coach. I think we can all agree Cal isn't a great late game coach...the talent he has most of the time covers that up. If you take a talented coach + talented players, you get get success. That's what I want and hope to get..

Agree, but the difference is that Coach K usually only has 1 - 2 OADs. The rest are a notch below and a few role players. Nothing unlike what Pitino has been doing for nearly a decade. Cal thinks talent trumps everything, it doesnt. Teams that win championships do so by playing as a team. The catch 22 with the cream of top players is their attitude (more often than not) and motives which are individual not team-oriented. One of the reasons I admire Mussleman is the story about what he does with his team in the offseason. It’s crucial to build a team chemistry and identity. That will take a team further than one or two showboats auditioning for the pros come March.

Agree, but the difference is that Coach K usually only has 1 - 2 OADs. The rest are a notch below and a few role players. Nothing unlike what Pitino has been doing for nearly a decade. Cal thinks talent trumps everything, it doesnt. Teams that win championships do so by playing as a team. The catch 22 with the cream of top players is their attitude (more often than not) and motives which are individual not team-oriented. One of the reasons I admire Mussleman is the story about what he does with his team in the offseason. It’s crucial to build a team chemistry and identity. That will take a team further than one or two showboats auditioning for the pros come March.

No doubt a team of 4*'s with 1-2 OAD elite prospects would prosper with the right coach. If, well it's probably more of "when," Mack is hired, I hope he can recruit at the level of 4*'s all around and then throw in 1-2 OAD's like you've said. I've always thought that was the way to do it. Not a team of 5 OAD's. 1-2 with a bunch of role playing talented 4*'s make your team elite elite. Especially with a good X and O coach. Mack had a top 11 class last year with a target we were looking at, Scruggs.....also had Blueitt, Goodin, etc. All 4* prospects. With the step up at Louisville, I don't think it'd be trouble to get a OAD here and there with the highly talented 4 stars year in and year out. I think Mack can create a team like that with good chemistry and hard working. One thing I've noticed is how tough his team plays. First thing he has to do is recruit the kids on the team now, then go after the later talent. Courtney Ramey for example would be someone possible to get I would think. I wont judge him too much on this years class since it's late, but I do believe there is a lot of talented guys that are unsigned.

The dismantling of pay-for-play will be a game changer. You don't know how well some of these coaches will be recruiting. Hiring one now is buying a pig-in-a-poke...

I don't know if I would go as far as saying he would be our Coach K. Louisville is a odd beast when it comes to recruiting. They aren't leaving Adidas and that limits the recruits they can get. Who knows how he will recruit at Louisville but he won't recruit at Coach K or Cal level.

It will be interesting to see how the shoe companies' influence changes if any as a result of the FBI investigation. Pitino's system was very complicated for freshmen thus it was harder to recruit a 1 and done type. Which may not matter anymore. The coaches that can develop players may get serious boosts without the 1 and done anyway. A guy that can develop a top 100 recruit into a first round draft pick would look awfully good to the top college players. I think recruiting at UofL can be more based on coach's system and preference than shoe company. Example Cal just rolls the ball out there and plays pickup ball. Much simpler for freshmen to pickup. I think that's one of the biggest recruiting advantages UK's had. Pitino coached for March and Cal coaches for June. Not trying to say which system has been more successful. Now that Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc... focus more on freshmen, UK can't dominate as much because their coaches can coach too. I think Mack has the personality to recruit to UofL but he may be a little bit more up and down than Pitino was. Maybe some classes higher rated than Rick's best (#1 maybe) but some misses along the way that has us have some lower classes than Rick's lowest (#60+ on occasion). I don't know but that my opinion.

Mack's 2017 class had 4-4 star kids in it, rated around the 10th best class.

I doubt that Xavier pops up on any of the pay for play radars. It's fairly impressive, all things considered.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT