ADVERTISEMENT

Mack is the extreme favorite...

Well, I guess since Siri didn’t read it to you, you have trouble with the details. Who do you think arranges for additional compensation such as apparel endorsements? Do you think Adidas is still paying him 2.25 million right now?

Any coach we hire will have the same. Base salary PLUS additional compensation such as endorsements. TOTAL compensation is what matters, and Pitino’s total compensation exceeded 7 million, which makes your statement factually inaccurate. This isn’t about your interpretation or beliefs. You are not going to backpedal with “yeah, but what I meant was...”

Rick Pitino made over 7 million dollars as the coach of The University of Louisville.

The University of Louisville is the highest revenue producing basketball program in the nation by over $10 million.

The University of Louisville can afford $7 million in base salary or arrange for that to be total compensation.

You are wrong. You now have a choice: be a man with some integrity and admit you were wrong, or be a boy who just wants the last word.

You do realize that Pitino had a separate Adidas contract that paid him $2 million, right? No Im not wrong, at all. The university was paying Pitino roughly $5 million a year. His contract for adidas lobbied the $2 million. In no way shape or form is that guaranteed. That’s why Adidas terminated his contract. That’s why Pitino would only be getting around $35 million for UofL IF he wins the lawsuit because THE SCHOOL ONLY PAYS HIM $5 million a year and his contract goes through 2025-26. The adidas contract has NOTHING to do with what we can offer. Two completely separate contracts. Adidas can do whatever they want with Mack. They dont have to pay him 2.25 million and they probably won’t. No one said it was about my belief either. It’s about what I specifically read and know that there are two contracts. Adidas doesnt have to do anything. The 2.25 is up in ther air. Idk how many times this has to he said. It’s been mentioned everywhere. There is a difference in the University paying him 7 million and bonuses from different contracts totalling 7 million. That was the original discussion before you jumped in claiming we paid him 7 million. That’s not true. We paid him around 5 and Adidas topped it off. Adidas can do what they want. And that’s why I responded to Zipp saying that because we aren’t going to pay him 7 million. Never have. No one knows what the Adidas contract would look like. If the value of Pitino was only worth 5 million according to the school, no way we pay Jay Wright 7 million.

And Pitino’s $5 million that came from UofL continued in 2015 with an extension. What makes anyone think that UofL offers Wright or anyone $7 million when Pitino was literally only getting a guaranteed $5 million until 2025-26? There’s no way possible. Adidas terminated his contract when he was fired, UofL is trying to get him with cause for his UofL contract.. there’s a reason why 1 got terminated and the other hasn’t yet..because Adidas pays the coach however much they want and nothing is guaranteed...

Last edited:
It was a sweet contract for Pitino and Jurich but not so much for the fans who know we can't compete for the best players any longer. Let me know when the NCAA strips a title from a big Nike school.

Talk about conspiracy theories.

I think he is a lock..
Happy wife, happy life. Since his wife played her HS ball in Louisville, then it is an easy conclusion to jump to IF she wants to come back home to live. He will do it for her IF he is offerered the job.

You do realize that Pitino had a separate Adidas contract that paid him $2 million, right? No Im not wrong, at all. The university was paying Pitino roughly $5 million a year. His contract for adidas lobbied the $2 million. In no way shape or form is that guaranteed. That’s why Adidas terminated his contract. That’s why Pitino would only be getting around $35 million for UofL IF he wins the lawsuit because THE SCHOOL ONLY PAYS HIM $5 million a year and his contract goes through 2025-26. The adidas contract has NOTHING to do with what we can offer. Two completely separate contracts. Adidas can do whatever they want with Mack. They dont have to pay him 2.25 million and they probably won’t. No one said it was about my belief either. It’s about what I specifically read and know that there are two contracts. Adidas doesnt have to do anything. The 2.25 is up in ther air. Idk how many times this has to he said. It’s been mentioned everywhere. There is a difference in the University paying him 7 million and bonuses from different contracts totalling 7 million. That was the original discussion before you jumped in claiming we paid him 7 million. That’s not true. We paid him around 5 and Adidas topped it off. Adidas can do what they want. And that’s why I responded to Zipp saying that because we aren’t going to pay him 7 million. Never have. No one knows what the Adidas contract would look like. If the value of Pitino was only worth 5 million according to the school, no way we pay Jay Wright 7 million.

And Pitino’s $5 million that came from UofL continued in 2015 with an extension. What makes anyone think that UofL offers Wright or anyone $7 million when Pitino was literally only getting a guaranteed $5 million until 2025-26? There’s no way possible. Adidas terminated his contract when he was fired, UofL is trying to get him with cause for his UofL contract.. there’s a reason why 1 got terminated and the other hasn’t yet..because Adidas pays the coach however much they want and nothing is guaranteed...
Not to choose sides but, you are arguing over semantics. At the end of the day - Pitino was being paid 7M / year because he was the coach of Louisville. If you don't think that UofL had say with adidas about them paying Pitino the annual amount they were - you don't understand how things work. The university simply forwent that amount and had it paid directly to Pitino, rather than receiving it as part of its contract. Same as the deals with coaches' radio shows and other media appearances that are compensated by broadcasting entity but in actuality is an agreement between them and the university. The same structure of agreements will be available for the next UofL coach.

Furthermore, if you don't think that UofL (and adidas, etc.) would pay 7M per year to secure Jay Wright or Billy Donovan - you simply don't know what you're talking about.

Furthermore, if you don't think that UofL (and adidas, etc.) would pay 7M per year to secure Jay Wright or Billy Donovan - you simply don't know what you're talking about.

You don't know that.. I would seriously doubt with the current state of affairs that kind of $$$ Will be tossed around on this hire..

That money Adidas was paying Dick was between him and Adidas and they may or may not be willing to duplicate that for Mack or whoever..

Reactions: chevelle99
You don't know that.. I would seriously doubt with the current state of affairs that kind of $$$ Will be tossed around on this hire..

That money Adidas was paying Dick was between him and Adidas and they may or may not be willing to duplicate that for Mack or whoever..
Again - you are free to believe whatever you’d like but the reality is that UofL was involved in ALL of pitino’s compensation directly related to his position as HC. I doubt that adidas would duplicate that money for Mack or, that UofL would either but that wasn’t the point.

They absolutely would for Wright or Donovan though.

Reactions: TDredbird
You need to go join team Jurich. Seems like all you do is bitch and talk negatively about UofL. It's gets worn out and tiresom.
It sucks that you can actually post your negative crap on the internet for anyone to see because you represent zilch of louisville fans. I have never met anyone like you.
That's because you don't get around much. You wouldn't believe how popular I am among fans in the real world.
And you always post some dumb ass picture under each of your post...like that somehow gives it more credibility or something ... goofy
Sometimes children respond better to images.

children-playing-on-grass_1098-504.jpg

Just remember Zipp will be equally happy if UofL fails or succeeds.

Most fans I know don’t aren’t that bullish on UofL failing.

Some coaches we are interested in might not want to deal with it. It is the hidden issue in all this. Being with Adidas is a massive recruiting handicap.
Do you actually think Nike is clean of everything? Who do you think got this all started, Jordan Fair?? Crazy stuff...

Again - you are free to believe whatever you’d like but the reality is that UofL was involved in ALL of pitino’s compensation directly related to his position as HC. I doubt that adidas would duplicate that money for Mack or, that UofL would either but that wasn’t the point.

Most clown show guys like Red are clueless about the adidas deal or how U of L's finances work. That's why they blindly support these guys...

Beginnings_zpspill7bd2.jpg

Nothing wrong with being happy...try it sometime. You have to get away from these haters to start with...

parade%20of%20fools%202_zpsdkfvdkfu.jpg

I’ll give you credit for actually admitting that UofL failing would not bother you. Not sure that is the key to happiness.

I don't think Adidas is going to pay Chris Mack what they were paying Dick Porcini.. That's not guaranteed money for the UofL coach, UofL can probably help negotiate that for him, but there's no guarantee.. At $7 Million per year Dick was grossly overpaid.
Lucky for U of L, your new guy's a penny pincher. A small thinker. I doubt Fanboy will make the mistake of overpaying an unproven guy like Mack...

Tyra-baseball%20pic_zpssayvqaka.jpg

Not to choose sides but, you are arguing over semantics. At the end of the day - Pitino was being paid 7M / year because he was the coach of Louisville. If you don't think that UofL had say with adidas about them paying Pitino the annual amount they were - you don't understand how things work. The university simply forwent that amount and had it paid directly to Pitino, rather than receiving it as part of its contract. Same as the deals with coaches' radio shows and other media appearances that are compensated by broadcasting entity but in actuality is an agreement between them and the university. The same structure of agreements will be available for the next UofL coach.

This BOT is not forking over 7M per year to secure anyone. Especially not in their first year regardless of track record...

it's being nice to call your obsession with posting pictures of Tyra "odd".

Seriously, i didnt know what he looked like before today (nor did I care to) and it is now duly noted. Just stop already.

Tom got you/us in this situation with the sum total of all of his work and my guess is, if he was ever personally nice to you, you were either a student athlete (LOL), or he perceived you to have money for him- er, I mean the university. I'm sure it is no surprise to people on this board that you would be satisfied with being right at the expense of your program, but your desire to document it in print is pretty midguided at best
I always accord guys with three posts the most credibility and respect. Looking forward to #4...

Do you actually think Nike is clean of everything? Who do you think got this all started, Jordan Fair?? Crazy stuff...
Nike clean? Nike created this system of corruption and now bribes the NCAA so they can keep it going. They are just taking out what little competition they had in Adidas.

Xavier isn't going to outbid Louisville. Ramsey & Rutherford on the air yesterday were basically acting like Mack is already hired. They'd throw in the obligatory "if" here and there, but those guys know people. Looks like Mack is the guy.

I am not sitting here blown away by Mack, but he is probably a very fine hire with what we know today. He's taken Xavier to at least the Sweet 16 in 4 of his 9 seasons and to the round of 32 in 8 of 9, and to the tourney in all 9. pretty good resume for a young HC with 9 years experience at this point. As long as the boosters have patience and don't go all Austin Texas on him during these next few years it should be fine
By those standards, he followed some pretty accomplished coaches before him. And there was no improvement at Xavier.

And none of those X coaches went on to do much anywhere else. (Sean Miller's evidently tainted...)

Nike clean? Nike created this system of corruption and now bribes the NCAA so they can keep it going. They are just taking out what little competition they had in Adidas.
^^ Captain Obvious ^^

You were hammering on adidas as a recruiting disadvantage. You're evidently clueless and can't track which side of the debate you're on...

Fans of the clown show have a hard time keeping track of a debate...

^^ Captain Obvious ^^

You were hammering on adidas as a recruiting disadvantage. You're evidently clueless and can't track which side of the debate you're on...
They are a massive recruiting handicap and anyone who doesn't see that is clueless. Is that you? Sounds like it. Also, I don't know if it because you try to constantly be cute and clever, but your communications skills pretty much suck.

They are a massive recruiting handicap and anyone who doesn't see that is clueless. Is that you? Sounds like it. Also, I don't know if it because you try to constantly be cute and clever, but your communications skills pretty much suck.

Kinda like your logic. I’d rather be part of the resistance than part of the monopoly. But that’s okay, those Low T centers need clients too.

Reactions: TDredbird
I get it, you're disgusted by both Nike and adidas. Are the guys supposed to play barefoot?

Clown show fans are a different breed.

parade%20of%20fools_zpskpipxzq5.jpg

I get it, you're disgusted by both Nike and adidas. Are the guys supposed to play barefoot?

No. The point is when you go with a shoe company, go with the winner that makes your program better. Go with the one that controls the NCAA so you won't get a title taken away. Don't go with the one that just makes Rick Pitino even richer.

No. The point is when you go with a shoe company, go with the winner that makes your program better. Go with the one that controls the NCAA so you won't get a title taken away. Don't go with the one that just makes Rick Pitino even richer.
Rick may have got the bulk of the money in the old agreement but not in the new $160 million agreement. Nike ain’t walking through that door with a bag of cash!

Reactions: zipp
Rick may have got the bulk of the money in the old agreement but not in the new $160 million agreement. Nike ain’t walking through that door with a bag of cash!
Not now. Now we are stuck with a tainted shoe company and we just lost an NCAA title and our program is in ruins. Not a great decision Tom.

Is that because we're aiming low or just cheap?...

It's because 1) we can't afford it 2) No coach in the game today outside of Roy, Cow, K, and maybe Brad Stevens could reasonably command that type of money. Not sure they could either.

Your rants are tiresome. The clown show blah blah blah. Tyra blah blah blah. I feel sorry for you truly buddy. A pseudo-intellect who posts and attacks incessantly on a message board, filling it daily with negativity about the program he "supports?"

By those standards, he followed some pretty accomplished coaches before him. And there was no improvement at Xavier.

And none of those X coaches went on to do much anywhere else. (Sean Miller's evidently tainted...)
I take exception to the no improvement at Xavier. FWIW X is my 2nd favorite team and have followed them since they made the commitment to upgrade the BB program rather than disband it in the early 80's. They were local, UC hated them, tickets were cheap and I love BB. They were a small private independent school that was losing to Div. II NKU and everyone of their traditional rivals badly.

I watched them go from the Midwest City Conference (Horizon League) to the Atlantic 10 and now to the Big East. Granted, the current BE is not what it was when we were in it, but it was about the 3rd best conference this year. With each step their were growing pains as the level of competition increased and their record suffered.

Bob Staak got it started. Left for Wake Forest and did little. Long time pro assistant and scout.

Pete Gillen IMO was least capable X and O man. A snake oil salesman like his mentor Digger, he did OK at Providence but was exposed at UVA.

Skip Prosser was the best offensive mind. He left for Wake and did relatively well in the toughest conference in the country until his untimely death.

Thad Matta had a great mind for the game. His offense embarrassed RP while he was at Butler. He had a good run at OSU.

Sean Miller was a good X and O mind who Peter Principled at Arizona for an apparent lack of principle.

Chris Mack is a Prosser disciple but places more emphasis on defense than Skip did. Great recruiter, although ???? remain about pay for play. Every 4 year player has graduated. Personally, I hope he chooses to remain at Xavier. I do not want to go through the hassle of coaching changes at the two schools I follow most.

You and I can disagree on his abilities, but to say there has been no improvement at Xavier is something I will dispute as long as I am alive. Peace Out!

I always accord guys with three posts the most credibility and respect. Looking forward to #4...

Not sure I was looking for either of those from you, but if they are only granted in your eyes by # number of posts, perhaps The Zipp credibility scale should be evaluated.

How many more posts will it take for YOU to earn either of those from your "peers" on this board? another 10k? 50K?

FWIW, i had more than 2000 posts at some point but it appears they were reset some time ago. Don't worry though, cause I'm not.

I take exception to the no improvement at Xavier. FWIW X is my 2nd favorite team and have followed them since they made the commitment to upgrade the BB program rather than disband it in the early 80's. They were local, UC hated them, tickets were cheap and I love BB. They were a small private independent school that was losing to Div. II NKU and everyone of their traditional rivals badly.

I watched them go from the Midwest City Conference (Horizon League) to the Atlantic 10 and now to the Big East. Granted, the current BE is not what it was when we were in it, but it was about the 3rd best conference this year. With each step their were growing pains as the level of competition increased and their record suffered.

Bob Staak got it started. Left for Wake Forest and did little. Long time pro assistant and scout.

Pete Gillen IMO was least capable X and O man. A snake oil salesman like his mentor Digger, he did OK at Providence but was exposed at UVA.

Skip Prosser was the best offensive mind. He left for Wake and did relatively well in the toughest conference in the country until his untimely death.

Thad Matta had a great mind for the game. His offense embarrassed RP while he was at Butler. He had a good run at OSU.

Sean Miller was a good X and O mind who Peter Principled at Arizona for an apparent lack of principle.

Chris Mack is a Prosser disciple but places more emphasis on defense than Skip did. Great recruiter, although ???? remain about pay for play. Every 4 year player has graduated. Personally, I hope he chooses to remain at Xavier. I do not want to go through the hassle of coaching changes at the two schools I follow most.

You and I can disagree on his abilities, but to say there has been no improvement at Xavier is something I will dispute as long as I am alive. Peace Out!
I can do the research if you want. But I don't think Mack was a step up from those other guys, his predecessors.

I'm not critical of the X program, I'm talking about change and relative comparisons. He simply carried on what others before had put in place.

And those guys didn't go on to greatness anywhere else. Miller's probably come the closest, and his world's about to come crashing down.

Bottom line, being a good X coach is not an indicator of Mack accomplishing great things here. No disrespect to the X program intended...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT