ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Murray

Ty Spalding was reporting on staff changes yesterday on the premium forum. Matt Jones didn't post his "insider" info until this morning.

Reactions: rh62531
Ty Spalding was reporting on staff changes yesterday on the premium forum. Matt Jones didn't post his "insider" info until this morning.

Yes, I know there were rumors posted yesterday. That doesn't change my opinion that there's someone feeding the info to the enemy. It was feed into the Louisville circles yesterday and that same person feed it to the dogs. There's a name for folks that do this.

Mack has opted not to renew the contracts of two assistant coaches, but according to a school spokesman the school is not naming those coaches and calling it an "internal personnel matter."

Reactions: PHCARD and gocds
You see this in football all the time. A head coach feels a little heat after an underwhelming season, and they'll replace their OC or DC. In basketball, assistants typically just move on. For Mack to make this move, he's obviously feeling the pressure.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Matty Bangz lives in Louisville. It's a big university and a big city, so with Matt's political connections all over town he definitely has plenty of people to tell him things. He is friends with Dr. Jones (no relation) who is the very outspoken (great guy too btw) professor. For those of us that have seen UL grow, we went from a commuter school to where we are today because of MONEY. The money people and the connected run the place, so there are going to be more leaks. UK or a IU have been the land-grant favorites and have more of a controlled structure in a smaller area, so they can keep leaks out.

Not to mention, we are a MAJOR media market unlike Lessington. Our media has nothing to talk about, so UL is the thing reporters and leakers like to talk about since there is not a pro team.

There is so much outrage in the world today that I have developed an emotional closet to store it in...and there isn't room in it for being upset that Matt Jones found out Luke Murray wasn't renewed before you guys did.

...in the end, what the hell difference does it make?

Reactions: Mayoman and gocds
There is so much outrage in the world today that I have developed an emotional closet to store it in...and there isn't room in it for being upset that Matt Jones found out Luke Murray wasn't renewed before you guys did.

...in the end, what the hell difference does it make?

True dat! Honestly, Jones is a douche, but the guy I would seriously walk up to and punch in the throat is Drew Franklin. Never met him and he should be thankful!

You see this in football all the time. A head coach feels a little heat after an underwhelming season, and they'll replace their OC or DC. In basketball, assistants typically just move on. For Mack to make this move, he's obviously feeling the pressure.
Ok. yeah we didn’t make the NCAAT, but Mack had plenty of excuses from Covid lapses and injuries. There has to be more to the story. I see 4 scenarios.
1 - coaches didn’t see eye to eye on where the program was headed.
2- assistants committed a violation of some kind worth dismissal.
3 - Mack feeling pressure and had to do something to lower the heat. Here again though, we didn’t have a losing season or finish last in the ACC. Things that would normally warrant firing.
4 - financial decision.

Even after all the bitching and gnashing of teeth I never heard anyone complaining about any of the coaches. Very surprising.

Reactions: jmac1029
I wonder if we'll get more in depth info on this from CCM?
Mack has a lot of things he'll do before he talks in depth again.

1. Who is back? Sam, DJ, Malik, Carlik, and Mineland all have decisions to make.
2. Anymore transfers out? I hope Nickelberry is back for one more go.
3. Who could we sign to come in or get to transfer in to fill holes?
4. Get good assistants on staff

He's got a lot to do and maybe starting our offseason sooner will give us a head start on filling up the roster.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Mack has a lot of things he'll do before he talks in depth again.

1. Who is back? Sam, DJ, Malik, Carlik, and Mineland all have decisions to make.
2. Anymore transfers out? I hope Nickelberry is back for one more go.
3. Who could we sign to come in or get to transfer in to fill holes?
4. Get good assistants on staff

He's got a lot to do and maybe starting our offseason sooner will give us a head start on filling up the roster.
Minlend is already quoted as not coming back.

True dat! Honestly, Jones is a douche, but the guy I would seriously walk up to and punch in the throat is Drew Franklin. Never met him and he should be thankful!

Drew Franklin is just a disgusting human being. Calling him a douchebag would be an upgrade.

I don’t see anybody on our team capable of playing in the NBA so if anybody leaves they will be going to another school. I can see someone trying to make the G league and even that would be questionable at this point.

I can only guess as to why, but suspect Mack had very good reason to make these staff changes. Watch very closely as to who Chris brings in as their replacements, as it may very will determine the composition of the 2021-22 roster.

Reactions: Mayoman and gocds
I can only guess as to why, but suspect Mack had very good reason to make these staff changes. Watch very closely as to who Chris brings in as their replacements, as it may very will determine the composition of the 2021-22 roster.
You don't often fire one of your mentors as CCM has done to Dino. That is the one that concerns me the most.

It is a really interesting decision. I doubt Mack will say much so we will never know. Then the 2 kids Dino recruited open up their recruitment. Was that by their choice or Mack’s?

College basketball is a mess right now. Coaching right now is tough. The environment of social media with the transfer rules loosening up is a nasty combination. With the likely hood of players getting paid and social media being a mechanism used to generate $$$ it will only get worse. Players are going to control the narrative in the future. I am not sure that is a good thing for the players or colllege sports.

Reactions: Mayoman
Boone Co:
you are correct, it is most unusual for a HC to terminate a mentor who has worked for the coach for so long. Yet, that is precisely why I believe Mack‘s difficult decision was in the very best interest of UL basketball, at the expense of his own personal feelings. There are reasons Mack has not shared in public as to why he has moved in this direction, but it would serve no useful purpose to disclose at this time.

You can bet our AD knows why, and would have approved it before having Mack initiatEd.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Boone Co:
you are correct, it is most unusual for a HC to terminate a mentor who has worked for the coach for so long. Yet, that is precisely why I believe Mack‘s difficult decision was in the very best interest of UL basketball, at the expense of his own personal feelings. There are reasons Mack has not shared in public as to why he has moved in this direction, but it would serve no useful purpose to disclose at this time.

You can bet our AD knows why, and would have approved it before having Mack initiatEd.
Don’t assume that the HC is always right in these circumstances. See a guy named Bobby Petrino, who fired asst after asst

I have a friend who insist that there is a difference between not renewing their contract and firing them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT