ADVERTISEMENT

LSU

What if they came a knockin? Would he go ?
If he did then Brohm would be coming home. I'm not going to worry, I think we'll be fine either way.

I’m with you. As long as Brohm’s out there I’m good. But I’m not sure they come after Bobby, they did best us soundly last year. And we’re not world beaters right now or last 1/3 of last year.

I think they'd look for a younger guy who can recruit the mid south and Texas. They lost out on Herman, so they settled for Orgeron, but they want a Herman type, I'm sure.

If it was only going to be LSU - I don’t know that I’d be that worried that petrino would be their top target. But realistically A&M, Tennessee, Auburn and LSU could be firing their HC - that would create a feeding frenzy and there simply aren’t that many HC with better credentials than petrino to satisfy all of those types of jobs. Next year Florida and uscjr could be looking - if Jurich is gone, the likelihood that petrino bolts goes up exponentially.

That may not be a bad thing - IF UofL could get Brohm - but there’s no guaranteeing that. The chance that some other AD could make a hire that would set the FB back 5 years is just as likely.

Reactions: CardsFirst
If it was only going to be LSU - I don’t know that I’d be that worried that petrino would be their top target. But realistically A&M, Tennessee, Auburn and LSU could be firing their HC - that would create a feeding frenzy and there simply aren’t that many HC with better credentials than petrino to satisfy all of those types of jobs. Next year Florida and uscjr could be looking - if Jurich is gone, the likelihood that petrino bolts goes up exponentially.

That may not be a bad thing - IF UofL could get Brohm - but there’s no guaranteeing that. The chance that some other AD could make a hire that would set the FB back 5 years is just as likely.
If he goes then he goes. I'm not going to worry about it because I don't have a voice in the decision. Seems to me Petrino should be grateful for the chance to come back to UofL; not to mention the ton of money he has made and continues to make.

If he goes then he goes. I'm not going to worry about it because I don't have a voice in the decision. Seems to me Petrino should be grateful for the chance to come back to UofL; not to mention the ton of money he has made and continues to make.
Couldn’t agree more - I don’t worry about things totally outside my capacity to control them. I have no doubt that petrino is grateful however my guess is the lion’s share of that gratitude is directed towards Jurich. He goes - it goes.

Bottom line - proactive change is almost always better than reactive change and all change is best when it comes from a position of strength. An interim president directing an interim AD to hire interim BB and FB coaches is the opposite of strength.

The last thing we need is for the football program to be terrible at the same time as the basketball program.

What exactly has Petrino done these last 4-5 years that would make him appealing to anyone? And the way LSU bitch slapped us last December, I doubt any Cajun or Creole would want him.
Good points however again, if it was simply LSU, I doubt they’d look at petrino. If there are 3-5 major jobs open - tell me the names of those coaches ahead of petrino that would take them.

Everyone can’t get Chip Kelly...

The Cajuns ain't coming after anybody. They still owe Les Miles a ton of money and if they ditch Orgeron they will owe him a boat load as well. The only way I see them making a move this year is if Petrino (or whoever) is willing to punch a clock at about $20 bucks an hour. Our neighbor two doors over have bitten off a bit more gator than they can chew right now.

But, on the other hand, if Petrino does opt to leave, I am sure Butch Jones will be available.

Things like this never bothered me before because we always had Jurich there to make the right hire. If they don't bring him back and we get the wrong hire we could be screwed. We have a great athletic program right now and that took years to build.

I would hate to see it wiped out because some idiots in charge made the wrong decisions. With all of the accused claiming their innocence and hiring lawyers this is sure to have a surprising ending.

With all of the accused claiming their innocence and hiring lawyers this is sure to have a surprising ending.
Not sure about the surprise part, but the ending is a very long way off and got longer with the responses from the accused. This one is going to be a long drawn out nightmare before it's done.

Things like this never bothered me before because we always had Jurich there to make the right hire. If they don't bring him back and we get the wrong hire we could be screwed. We have a great athletic program right now and that took years to build.

I would hate to see it wiped out because some idiots in charge made the wrong decisions. With all of the accused claiming their innocence and hiring lawyers this is sure to have a surprising ending.
Serious question - what if Charlie Strong were available?

Reactions: Cue Card
NO NO NO! He would get eaten alive in the ACC. We would turn into a wake forest.
Charlie did turn your defense into a top unit in the country and Bobby really was blessed when he came in and had all of that defensive talent.

Now, he would have to bring in a better OC this time for sure..but Charlie showed the first time around he could recruit at a high level and he was only in the AAC/BigEast. I think the support of the fans and less pressure here would make it much different that Texas boosters in his ear 24/7.

I think BP has too much baggage for anyone to call him.
He could have enough baggage to fill up PJCS and any SEC team would still call if they thought he could win for them. They don't give a damn about his baggage.

Just win baby! That's ALL they care about in the SEC.

Reactions: BPGhost
That may be true, but with the ongoing FBI Investigation, even SEC schools will be more selective in the future. Eventually I think this FBI investigation will trickle over to football.

Reactions: Cue Card
That may be true, but with the ongoing FBI Investigation, even SEC schools will be more selective in the future. Eventually I think this FBI investigation will trickle over to football.
I agree. The FBI investigation has just started. I know it's 3 years in, but time doesn't much matter now.

I don't know if the Cards might not lose more than two, three more games. 8-4, 7-5. In a year where they were actually rebuilding. That's a worse case scenario unless Jackson is injured.
They'll land in a pretty good bowl with some TV time.
I don't see Petrino leaving for the SEC. Then again, wins cure all hurt feelings. Matter of fact, unless something pops out of the woodwork I don't see why he would want to leave Louisville. He wins, he's gonna be the face of the athletics program, and he gets a good payday.

The FBI investigation doesn't have anything to do with football.
The investigation doesn't have to do with basketball or breaking NCAA rules.

It has to do with high school players taking bribes to play sports in college and in which they could be declared ineligible, thereby putting universities and taxpayers at risk. And also lying about it...

Reactions: billoliver40
What if they came a knockin? Would he go ?

• To Petrino, Part of the appeal of UofL was the unflinching loyalty (deserved or not) of Jurich. With Jurich gone, and an uncertain future at all levels of the UofL athletic department, I think there is a strong chance that Petrino bolts.
  • Where does he go? Who knows. There are lots of SEC schools that will be looking for new coaches next year. LSU may want to get rid of Coach O, but just how huge many buyouts are they willing to pay at the same time? Ole Miss and A&M will almost certainly be looking for coaches, maybe Florida.
  • I think that the best bet for a safe landing spot for him is Tennessee. UT sees their national profile slipping away, and are quite desperate to "win now". It's this desperation that might cause them to overlook Petrino's past foibles. For Petrino, UT offers a SEC program with a ton of talent. Petrino would be walking into a situation where the pieces are already in place.
  • As for Brohm, if Louisville were to land him, that would mean that he left Purdue after only one season--not likely. Even if you could get him, you'd be getting a guy who will bail on his current team (after only a year!) at the first better offer. Is that the guy you want running your program?

Why would LSU or Tennessee want a coach that can't win the ACC? These schools are going to have to make hires that are perceived improvements and will energize a fan base. Right now I don't think Petrino is clearly better than Jones or Big Ed.

Why would LSU or Tennessee want a coach that can't win the ACC? These schools are going to have to make hires that are perceived improvements and will energize a fan base. Right now I don't think Petrino is clearly better than Jones or Big Ed.
Butch Jones is the worst head coach currently employed by a P5 school. A wet mop would be an improvement.

• To Petrino, Part of the appeal of UofL was the unflinching loyalty (deserved or not) of Jurich. With Jurich gone, and an uncertain future at all levels of the UofL athletic department, I think there is a strong chance that Petrino bolts.
  • Where does he go? Who knows. There are lots of SEC schools that will be looking for new coaches next year. LSU may want to get rid of Coach O, but just how huge many buyouts are they willing to pay at the same time? Ole Miss and A&M will almost certainly be looking for coaches, maybe Florida.
  • I think that the best bet for a safe landing spot for him is Tennessee. UT sees their national profile slipping away, and are quite desperate to "win now". It's this desperation that might cause them to overlook Petrino's past foibles. For Petrino, UT offers a SEC program with a ton of talent. Petrino would be walking into a situation where the pieces are already in place.
  • As for Brohm, if Louisville were to land him, that would mean that he left Purdue after only one season--not likely. Even if you could get him, you'd be getting a guy who will bail on his current team (after only a year!) at the first better offer. Is that the guy you want running your program?
"As for Brohm, if Louisville were to land him, that would mean that he left Purdue after only one season--not likely. Even if you could get him, you'd be getting a guy who will bail on his current team (after only a year!) at the first better offer. Is that the guy you want running your program?"

I'll just assume for a moment that you are not a troll. Assuming you aren't, are you f'ing serious? Do you know who Jeff Brohm is and the relationship the Brohms and Louisville have? I'm sure the fine folks in West Lafayette would understand a guy, with 2 of his brothers on staff all UofL alums, would want to come home. C'mon man.

The shine has gone off of BP2. His record against ranked teams is pitiful (1 - 9 or whatever it is) He's not the hot commodity he use to be.

LSU is still paying Les Miles $4 million a year and Orgeron has a $12 million dollar buy out, so no, LSU ain't coming a callin.

Bloom may be off that rose with the LSU win yesterday in the swamp. Beat Auburn and Orgeron is safe.
Meanwhile, Ol Miss has officially posted an opening for head football coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT