ADVERTISEMENT

LPT Ticket Sales are HOT...

Going to lsu on a Saturday night is different that a meaningless bowl in December I promise you that.

I'm sorry if I am misinterpreting your post. Are you suggesting LSU's game against UK was more important to LSU than a bowl game against Notre Dame?

I'm saying that a night game in Baton Rouge is far different animal than playing in meaningless bowl game in late December. No matter who the opponent is.

Bowl games aren't meaningless. They are big for recruiting. Players are also auditioning for the NFL draft in many cases.

They are also program builders. Players get additional practice time leading up to the game and any opportunity to play a game against a quality opponent is a chance for players on both sides to get better.

I understand that, but you're misunderstanding my point. The atmosphere, the level amped up the team is and yes for a team that expects to compete for big time bowls the music city bowl is a letdown.
do you think anyone in Louisiana gives two rips about being in Nashville for a bowl game in December? No
Do you think they would be amped for a night game in a meaningful sec game at home. Yes
At that time I believe UK was 5-1 or 5-2

I seem to recall LSU angled for that Notre Dame bowl matchup. Then crapped the SEC bed. Tough team.

LPT Football: Yeah but the SEC...

LPT's season ticket sales are well below U of L's. I expect to see a lot of Fort Knox soldiers on the SEC Network this coming season.

LPT Football: Honoring our troops...

I understand that, but you're misunderstanding my point. The atmosphere, the level amped up the team is and yes for a team that expects to compete for big time bowls the music city bowl is a letdown.
do you think anyone in Louisiana gives two rips about being in Nashville for a bowl game in December? No
Do you think they would be amped for a night game in a meaningful sec game at home. Yes
At that time I believe UK was 5-1 or 5-2

LSU already had multiple league losses by the time UK rolled into town. They had no chance to win the SEC by that time and programs like LSU don't get fired up fighting for runner-up prizes in mid- October. If anything, they had to probably dig deep to find motivation after coming off an emotional road win @ FLA and coming to grips with the fact they were in the midst of a very average season by their standards.

You're saying the LSU football team can get up to play a meaningless league game at home against a perennial cellar dwellar a week after an emotional road win but didn't have the same inspiration to play a traditional power ND.

Can't agree with you on that one. You're telling a very small part of the story by just saying "It's LSU on Saturday night!"

At that time Lsu was trying turn their season around, perennisl cellar dweller or not UK was 5-1 or 5-2 at that time.
Baton Rouge on a Saturday night is a different animal. Having said that UK stunk up the joint. My initial post was about fans being jacked up and the atmosphere, which in turn jacks up the team. It wasn't a slight on Norte dame, but which team do you think would be more fired up?
The team that got embarrassed in the national title game by an sec team wanting to show its a big boy program or the team that stumbled into bowl season?

LOL at ND "wanting to show it's a big boy FB program." No way LSU could be "fired up" playing a team so void of tradition like Notre Dame. They were much more hype for the Cayuts. Yeah um I think they qualify. Can't make this stuff up folks.

Just another "disinterested" SEC team.

At that time Lsu was trying turn their season around, perennisl cellar dweller or not UK was 5-1 or 5-2 at that time.
Baton Rouge on a Saturday night is a different animal. Having said that UK stunk up the joint. My initial post was about fans being jacked up and the atmosphere, which in turn jacks up the team. It wasn't a slight on Norte dame, but which team do you think would be more fired up?
The team that got embarrassed in the national title game by an sec team wanting to show its a big boy program or the team that stumbled into bowl season?

@ that time LSU was just a very average football team, and they stayed consistently avg the entire season.

Fans are more fired up for big games, and UK even on a Sat night is not a big game. LSU pretty much ran out of big games the moment they reached multi league losses. The snapshot in time 5-1 record for UK was fine but it was not a needle mover for the LSU fans given UK's schedule @ that time and normal position in the SEC.

I am aware of the challenges road teams face when going in to play LSU on a Saturday night. But let's not turn it into something it really wasn't in 2014. 2014 was an outlier for LSU in general, most seasons they are an elite program. Their fans know a great product when they see it. By that time, they were fully aware they were far from vintage LSU and you cannot convince me the fans would have the same adrenaline going against UK @ home than they would say, Georgia @ home.

The psychology of fans and players is interesting but none of us really know what's going on between the ears of players and fans of teams. All we know is the results of the games.

For many message board posters, if the outcome of the game is what was desired, it's all about the scoreboard. If the outcome of the game is not what was desired, then a bunch of non scoreboard related stuff enters the equation.

Last edited:
Can't think of a better example of LPT fan delusion...

SEC game against LPT > Bowl game with Notre Dame

LPT Football: The Green Bay Packers of college football...

Bill - and the UK assumptions as well - regarding our defensive failures ending the season were as much a function of our frankly inept offenses - which would either go 2 series or heft a 70 yard touchdown to Parker - each of which left them playing overly long minutes for the entire season, but especially at the end, when the QB'ing increased its desperation.

I frankly doubt we will face the same dilemma, at least to the extent we did. It was not a great time to tire out - or to lose QB's - when the schedule got gnarly. It is also another reason I believe the defense will put up better - not worse - stats this season.

I'm not saying they were fired up for UK, they are fired up in Baton Rouge because it's Saturday night, they've been drinking bourbon all day tailgating, and there's an lsu game in tiger stadium. It doesn't matter who the opponent is. Baton Rouge on a Saturday night is unlike any other.
I don't care if you believe me or not, but anyone that's been there will tell you,

Yes Bill, I think we are all aware fans of LSU live it up.

I think it's a rather inconsequential side note to the horrible game that was played between one avg team and one awful team that day though.

ADVERTISEMENT