ADVERTISEMENT

LPT football recruiting allegations against Petrino...

That poster should google the history of the MVC back in the 40s-50s-60s. He might learn a thing or two about how many NC's that conference won. OK A&M (now OKState) won 2 back to back. Bradley made it to the FF, and of course UCinn won one as did Chi Loyola. That idiot only knows what uk did and we all know that the other SEC schools used BB as Rollem said, to keep FB players in shape, etc. What a rube.....like a lot of BBN fans are.

Interesting take. You are far more forgiving of Rupp than many.
Well the thing is, I wasn't alive in those days but I had a grandparent who was alive and faced that turmoil. Rupp doesn't have anything I need to forgive...he didn't cause any suffering...he just wasn't the man he needed to be at the time he was alive. Although you cannot blame him for America's racist culture at the time, you also cannot forget the level of influence he had in the state.

And that generation...they don't sit around and blame Adolph Rupp for their problems. They blame the government who sat by and let the things happen. They blame the police that were supposed to protect them, yet looked the other way. Rupp was just a basketball coach...who like most in that generation...had views that are thankfully now on the wrong side of history.

He was the best coach during his time...he was the leader in wins when he retired and for most of his era he had the most national titles....he didn't want things to change...but that's who often overlooks the need for change the most...the comfortable. It's hard to see how things can be bad for other people when things are so good for yourself

His legacy can be debated...it's probably somewhere in the middle of both sides. He did have Dr. Naismith as a mentor, who was noted for his anti-segregationist views. The administration at Kentucky did in fact tell Bear Bryant "NO" when he asked to integrate the football team. But at the same time...he did refuse to recruit black players longer than most and you've heard the stories....so you cannot discount those things. Also, Nat Northington broke the SEC color barrier at Kentucky in 1967...so you can see Rupp still had waited too long

Rupp died almost 20 years before I was born..I never met him and no one reading this post probably did either. No one really knows that content of his heart, but the fact is he could and should have done more. If he didn't want this part of his legacy debated, he should've made the right choice sooner. Now UK's history is complicated...Rupp's refusal to make a stand hurts....but Nate Northington breaking the SEC color barrier, the efforts of Joe B Hall and CM Newton to bring changes......led to in my lifetime seeing Kentucky have AA head coaches in football and basketball...with 1 winning a title.

I don't think you know how proud it was in 2010 on Labor Day weekend for so many in this state with all the history(grandparent is an AA Louisville fan, me a UK fan)...having Charlie Strong and Joker Phillips face off as head coaches. Player recruitment of AA's is now commonplace...but head coach and exec representation is very low....and credit to UK and UofL for making the hire they wanted and not worrying about race. (Although Joker was a disaster. lol) With all the hate in our rivalry....that game in 2010 goes underrated as a positive place in the Red/Blue hate fest we all live and breate.

Well the thing is, I wasn't alive in those days but I had a grandparent who was alive and faced that turmoil. Rupp doesn't have anything I need to forgive...he didn't cause any suffering...he just wasn't the man he needed to be at the time he was alive. Although you cannot blame him for America's racist culture at the time, you also cannot forget the level of influence he had in the state.

And that generation...they don't sit around and blame Adolph Rupp for their problems. They blame the government who sat by and let the things happen. They blame the police that were supposed to protect them, yet looked the other way. Rupp was just a basketball coach...who like most in that generation...had views that are thankfully now on the wrong side of history.

He was the best coach during his time...he was the leader in wins when he retired and for most of his era he had the most national titles....he didn't want things to change...but that's who often overlooks the need for change the most...the comfortable. It's hard to see how things can be bad for other people when things are so good for yourself

His legacy can be debated...it's probably somewhere in the middle of both sides. He did have Dr. Naismith as a mentor, who was noted for his anti-segregationist views. The administration at Kentucky did in fact tell Bear Bryant "NO" when he asked to integrate the football team. But at the same time...he did refuse to recruit black players longer than most and you've heard the stories....so you cannot discount those things. Also, Nat Northington broke the SEC color barrier at Kentucky in 1967...so you can see Rupp still had waited too long

Rupp died almost 20 years before I was born..I never met him and no one reading this post probably did either. No one really knows that content of his heart, but the fact is he could and should have done more. If he didn't want this part of his legacy debated, he should've made the right choice sooner. Now UK's history is complicated...Rupp's refusal to make a stand hurts....but Nate Northington breaking the SEC color barrier, the efforts of Joe B Hall and CM Newton to bring changes......led to in my lifetime seeing Kentucky have AA head coaches in football and basketball...with 1 winning a title.

I don't think you know how proud it was in 2010 on Labor Day weekend for so many in this state with all the history(grandparent is an AA Louisville fan, me a UK fan)...having Charlie Strong and Joker Phillips face off as head coaches. Player recruitment of AA's is now commonplace...but head coach and exec representation is very low....and credit to UK and UofL for making the hire they wanted and not worrying about race. (Although Joker was a disaster. lol) With all the hate in our rivalry....that game in 2010 goes underrated as a positive place in the Red/Blue hate fest we all live and breate.

You lost me after “Well...”

Reactions: PHCARD
My bad, reading is difficult. Especially on issues complex as race...people tend to choose what they want to believe and look past it....as a mixed race American...people tend to look past me often. But, I don't let it bother me! ;)

Are you that long winded on Ky’s site?

Reactions: PHCARD
Are you that long winded on Ky’s site?
I understand you're one of those isolationists that doesn't want a single outsider here posting. I probably have attended more UofL games growing up in Louisville than the majority of this site(grandparents season ticket-holders), so I'm not some UK fan coming to troll..I generally am interested in UofL because of my Louisville roots.

But again...you don't see beyond anything beyond the Catsillustrated under my avatar....and instead of just making a fake UofL fan profile...I just won't engage further with you as it will lead to posts like the that do not engage in positive discussion(per Steelers guidelines to me).

That poster should google the history of the MVC back in the 40s-50s-60s. He might learn a thing or two about how many NC's that conference won. OK A&M (now OKState) won 2 back to back. Bradley made it to the FF, and of course UCinn won one as did Chi Loyola. That idiot only knows what uk did and we all know that the other SEC schools used BB as Rollem said, to keep FB players in shape, etc. What a rube.....like a lot of BBN fans are.

In 1967 Walt Frazier led the SIU Salukis to the NIT title. Louisville, Evansville and other top MVC schools sent a lot of players to the league. In basketball, it was among the top conferences.

In 1967 Walt Frazier led the SIU Salukis to the NIT title. Louisville, Evansville and other top MVC schools sent a lot of players to the league. In basketball, it was among the top conferences.
Evansville was in the ICC (Indiana Collegiate Conference) with Butler, Valparaiso, Depaw, Wabash, Indiana State, Indiana Central, and others. UE didn’t join the MVC until recently. However, they did send Jerry Sloan to the NBA from that era, and Don Buse a few years after that.

Evansville was in the ICC (Indiana Collegiate Conference) with Butler, Valparaiso, Depaw, Wabash, Indiana State, Indiana Central, and others. UE didn’t join the MVC until recently. However, they did send Jerry Sloan to the NBA from that era, and Don Buse a few years after that.
My mistake. I remember the Salukis playing very good Sloan teams.

The reason Rupp didn't recruit black young men like every other major college in the south was because of racism in the southeast. Can you imagine taking a black player into Miss or Ala, plus before air travel the team would spend the night in the city they were playing, no way that would happen. In fact UK was the first major college in the South to recruit a black player, Thomas Paine from Louisville Shawnee. So get real about calling Rupp a racist.
That is a bold face lie. I lived that part of history and yes he was a racist.

Since you seemingly went to a lot of trouble to prove your point I’m going to disagree with you. And, yes, I was alive during the 60s having been born in ‘43. I heard Rupp use the term “colored boy” on more than one occasion but the most agregious time was in an interview with Caywood Ledford after a loss to, I believe, Illinois. The conversation went something like this: “well Caywood the boys just wouldn’t do what I told them to do (as he never took blame for a loss) and that big ‘colored’ boy in the middle just beat us by himself”. Caywood apologized after Rupp went off the air for the commentary. And how about years later the treatment that Tubby Smith endured at the hands of the uahkay faithful in attendance (including his wife) at corupt arena. You are kidding yourself if you think Tubby was treated fairly and that was all about race. And you mention that you could have been influenced by your grandparents but “chose” to become a uahkay/cayut fan which, to me, proves that you just aren’t very intelligent. :rolleyes::p

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Since you seemingly went to a lot of trouble to prove your point I’m going to disagree with you. And, yes, I was alive during the 60s having been born in ‘43. I heard Rupp use the term “colored boy” on more than one occasion but the most agregious time was in an interview with Caywood Ledford after a loss to, I believe, Illinois. The conversation went something like this: “well Caywood the boys just wouldn’t do what I told them to do (as he never took blame for a loss) and that big ‘colored’ boy in the middle just beat us by himself”. Caywood apologized after Rupp went off the air for the commentary. And how about years later the treatment that Tubby Smith endured at the hands of the uahkay faithful in attendance (including his wife) at corupt arena. You are kidding yourself if you think Tubby was treated fairly and that was all about race. And you mention that you could have been influenced by your grandparents but “chose” to become a uahkay/cayut fan which, to me, proves that you just aren’t very intelligent. :rolleyes::p

I'd like to ask, but are you a person of color and do you understand the history of those words? Because I wouldn't say the term "colored" is a slur in the vein of the N-word...especially in the 60's. Colored is not cool now because it refers to the way we were refered to under law under Jim Crow. You hear more older people (who are dying out) use the term because that's what we were referred to by the government, put on job application, etc. The post civil rights era with guys like Jesse Jackson fought to empower us by giving us more suitable classification such us Black people, people of color, African-American, etc.

Saying "that colored kid" in the 1960's is more like today saying "the black player they had down low just ate us alive".....but especially back then when it was rare for there to be a black kid on the court...it's more like today if a coach that saw Luke Hancock in 2013 said "the big white kid just came out and burried all of those 3-point jumpers"

Now I'm not saying Rupp wasn't a racist...as a mixed race person I assume most every white person has feelings of racial ignorance, animosity, and superiority. Heck...I assume most white people have used a racial slur when they aren't around other people. Because I see how black and white sides of my family act when there are only member of their race in one room....there's more of a level of comfort.

But it doesn't make anyone a bad person for those racial views...it just makes you human...as human history revolves around races and cultures not liking outsiders. It's how you treat someone of a different race is how I judge a person.

I'd like to ask, but are you a person of color and do you understand the history of those words? Because I wouldn't say the term "colored" is a slur in the vein of the N-word...especially in the 60's. Colored is not cool now because it refers to the way we were refered to under law under Jim Crow. You hear more older people (who are dying out) use the term because that's what we were referred to by the government, put on job application, etc. The post civil rights era with guys like Jesse Jackson fought to empower us by giving us more suitable classification such us Black people, people of color, African-American, etc.

Saying "that colored kid" in the 1960's is more like today saying "the black player they had down low just ate us alive".....but especially back then when it was rare for there to be a black kid on the court...it's more like today if a coach that saw Luke Hancock in 2013 said "the big white kid just came out and burried all of those 3-point jumpers"

Now I'm not saying Rupp wasn't a racist...as a mixed race person I assume most every white person has feelings of racial ignorance, animosity, and superiority. Heck...I assume most white people have used a racial slur when they aren't around other people. Because I see how black and white sides of my family act when there are only member of their race in one room....there's more of a level of comfort.

But it doesn't make anyone a bad person for those racial views...it just makes you human...as human history revolves around races and cultures not liking outsiders. It's how you treat someone of a different race is how I judge a person.

Uh, my race NOR yours makes any difference in this discussion. I went thru the ‘50s and ‘60s when the term “black” became the proper word for describing a person of African-American heritage. The term “colored” became “passé” in the early to mid ‘60’s and Adolph Rupp just didn’t conform because, in my opinion, he simply didn’t care. He wasn’t going to have black players unless he was backed into a corner and that was exactly the situation with Tom Payne. Jacksonville and WKU kicked his ass with a majority of black players and that’s when he realized that uahkay was going to have to go after black kids. His comments about the intelligence of certain black kids from here in Kentucky that ended up at WKU were totally and completely racist in nature. When he was “forced” out, and make no mistake, he was forced out at uahkay based on an old law in Kentucky that required mandatory requirement at age 70. He wanted to fight the law but the folks in Frankfort that wanted his career to end refused to do anything about the law. Of course, in today’s world, that law would have been overturned in any court of law. I became a UofL fan because of the attitude of uahkay fans through out the late 60s and the 70s and 80s toward UofL basketball calling it “n” ball even though Joe B. Hall was recruiting a majority of black players. When asked about that most of them would seriously say that the uahkay players were true gentlemen. What a load of crap. I cannot understand how anyone of AA heritage could ever support uahkay.

Your Uncle is the liar! BTW, which prison is that? I know where I worked and I heard straight from Tom's mouth that he hated UK with a passion and wished he'd gone to Bradley insteadut, he had a new baby to feed and Joe B. was providing hush money for their apartment so he went where the money was best, uk. Dag, imagine that!

Dag, if being racist doesn't make you a bad person just human, why all the fuss about Papa John? We'll never overcome the fight to end racism unless it is wrong.

Isn’t it strange how “person of color” is an acceptable way of describing someone, but “colored person” is not? What’s the difference, really?

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Isn’t it strange how “person of color” is an acceptable way of describing someone, but “colored person” is not? What’s the difference, really?

Perhaps intent. Just surmising here. Plus if the person targeted with the “colored term” as opposed to being a person of color finds the original term offensive then I’d say it’s offensive.

Uh, my race NOR yours makes any difference in this discussion. I went thru the ‘50s and ‘60s when the term “black” became the proper word for describing a person of African-American heritage. The term “colored” became “passé” in the early to mid ‘60’s and Adolph Rupp just didn’t conform because, in my opinion, he simply didn’t care. He wasn’t going to have black players unless he was backed into a corner and that was exactly the situation with Tom Payne. Jacksonville and WKU kicked his ass with a majority of black players and that’s when he realized that uahkay was going to have to go after black kids. His comments about the intelligence of certain black kids from here in Kentucky that ended up at WKU were totally and completely racist in nature. When he was “forced” out, and make no mistake, he was forced out at uahkay based on an old law in Kentucky that required mandatory requirement at age 70. He wanted to fight the law but the folks in Frankfort that wanted his career to end refused to do anything about the law. Of course, in today’s world, that law would have been overturned in any court of law. I became a UofL fan because of the attitude of uahkay fans through out the late 60s and the 70s and 80s toward UofL basketball calling it “n” ball even though Joe B. Hall was recruiting a majority of black players. When asked about that most of them would seriously say that the uahkay players were true gentlemen. What a load of crap. I cannot understand how anyone of AA heritage could ever support uahkay.

The irony in your post...telling a black person how he should feel about racism...I guess I got a little uppity for you....It doesn't matter if a person is white....he still knows more about what's offensive to a black person than an actual black person!

I mean if we wanna go that far...how could anyone support a country that upon it's founding only guaranteed white men the right to vote? How could any AA support and live in a country that allowed it's race to be used as property? Or even after being freed...that country segregated us and treated us as lesser citizens? Or in a country that CURRENTLY has national monuments and currency with the picture of Thomas Jefferson? Or a nation whose National capital is named after a man that owned slaves? But yet...I understand it was apart of history and America is getting better every day and the past is the past.

How could any AA have attended the Uinversity of Louisville or even live in Louisville having to pass that Confederate Monument from 1895 to 2016? And I went to Louisville for grad school....and I cheer for Kentucky. And I know I know....the Kentucky racial history is 100% evil and Louisville's wasn't bad and a smooth/peaceful/perfect transition..I'm sure you will just throw more "UK bad, UofL good" type things and either ignore or make excuses for anything Louisville did in its past. (The monument, the predecessor to Simmons College). When it's all said and done....UK had a black student in 1949 by lawsuit...Louisville finally integrated in 1950-51. Both were white only schools and allowed black students in at the same time.

With America's racist past...you can twist anything the way you want. That confederate monument didn't make me think any less of the city of Louisville as does naming an Arena at Kentucky after a coach that used the word "colored" in the 1960's. He didn't own slaves...he didn't lead the confederate army...he didn't campaign for segregation (Washington/Jefferson, Jefferson Davis, George Wallace)....I just don't find Rupp to be on that kind of level...

Last edited:
Well first of all that statue was NOT on UofL’s campus. You ought to talk about stuff you actually know about. Second, I don’t give a big rat’s ass what your race is and it wasn’t me that asked about race. It was you. You are wrong and you are also a guest on our boards. Please try to keep that in mind.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
Well first of all that statue was NOT on UofL’s campus. You ought to talk about stuff you actually know about. Second, I don’t give a big rat’s ass what your race is and it wasn’t me that asked about race. It was you. You are wrong and you are also a guest on our boards. Please try to keep that in mind.

I'm sorry sir, I know we black people shouldn't speak out of turn. UK bad, UofL good. That's all you want to hear I'm sure...it's either one thing or the other..no middle ground.

Thanks for the hospitality to this guest! Sorry this person of color got too upitty for ya, don't need us people of color speaking out of turn! (Don't worry Steelers, I'm hitting the ignore and not engaging with this anymore as it's not leading to positive debate, I don't think an olderwhite man telling a young black man how he needs to feel about race can end in a good way)

Last edited:
The irony of UK defending an obvious and overt racist like Rupp is that the school also produced one of the men who led the way in integrating the SEC. C.M. Newton integrated Alabama and Vanderbilt and as commissioner continued to be an advocate for inclusion until his retirement.

Reactions: gocds
The irony of UK defending an obvious and overt racist like Rupp is that the school also produced one of the men who led the way in integrating the SEC. C.M. Newton integrated Alabama and Vanderbilt and as commissioner continued to be an advocate for inclusion until his retirement.
I don't think anyone defends Rupp, but I fail to see what he did that is so deserving of hate? As a black personal I just see him as an ignorant man of his time, but he didn't own slaves and didn't advocate for segregation. He didn't tell the N-Word at people. He was racist...but what did he do to warrant a protest.

He won a bunch of basketball games and they named an arena after him. He had regressive views of black people...but he really didn't do anything that bad compared to what was going on at the time.

I mean...Louisville had a building name CONFEDERATE HALL that was right across from the Confederate Momunment....which was renamed Unity Hall in 2002. But guess what? It doesn't matter..they changed the name.

Rupp didn't put black people on his basketball team until later in his career...oh wow he's almost as bad as Osama Bin Laden I tell ya what!

This Hiptown Cat is REALLY wearing out his welcome.

Fairly typical of those “visitors” from the dark side. They don’t understand that the truth will set you free and that they are guest here on this site. My hope is that our moderators deal with this fool.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
I'm sorry sir, I know we black people shouldn't speak out of turn. UK bad, UofL good. That's all you want to hear I'm sure...it's either one thing or the other..no middle ground.

Thanks for the hospitality to this guest! Sorry this person of color got too upitty for ya, don't need us people of color speaking out of turn! (Don't worry Steelers, I'm hitting the ignore and not engaging with this anymore as it's not leading to positive debate, I don't think an olderwhite man telling a young black man how he needs to feel about race can end in a good way)
Relax, Hoptown. Rupp is dead, and so is racism. Onward and upward.

Relax, Hoptown. Rupp is dead, and so is racism. Onward and upward.
Not dead, but slightly improved

1860's-There was slavery and a war fought to enslave a race

1910's-No more slavery, but segregation and some could vote

1960's-Segregation ends slowly under law...but still apprehension. Mixed couples were targeted.

2010's- No more segregation and we all can vote...and there's a black man as president. Mixed relationships are now accepted. We hold CEO and other big positions....the USA has made black culture the #1 part of its pop culture. Now there's still a lot of issues (voting rights, difference in pay, police treatment, etc.)...but we are moving forward.

That's how change happens in 50 year increments. We aren't there yet...but just imagine how much better things will be in 2060!

Not dead, but slightly improved

1860's-There was slavery and a war fought to enslave a race

1910's-No more slavery, but segregation and some could vote

1960's-Segregation ends slowly under law...but still apprehension. Mixed couples were targeted.

2010's- No more segregation and we all can vote...and there's a black man as president. Mixed relationships are now accepted. We hold CEO and other big positions....the USA has made black culture the #1 part of its pop culture. Now there's still a lot of issues (voting rights, difference in pay, police treatment, etc.)...but we are moving forward.

That's how change happens in 50 year increments. We aren't there yet...but just imagine how much better things will be in 2060!
Hey, Obama was half white! Just kidding.
By “dead” I didn’t mean nonexistent. Only that racism has no currency or real power; and no future. I worry, though, about the racial obsession gripping the left in America and Europe these days. Everything, it seems is explained by race. We haven’t seen anything like this since the end of the Third Reich.

Hey, Obama was half white! Just kidding.
By “dead” I didn’t mean nonexistent. Only that racism has no currency or real power; and no future. I worry, though, about the racial obsession gripping the left in America and Europe these days. Everything, it seems is explained by race. We haven’t seen anything like this since the end of the Third Reich.
Well I can agree...I'm a republican who isn't white (although not proud at the moment)...but I can't side with the left.

There are issues the right can learn from like the War on Drugs and the for-profit prison system destroying generations of black families and increasing the poverty cycle...

But at the same time...the left just makes so much about race to the point it's cringe-worthy. They continue to demonize other's to prop minorities up, but should be encouraging unity and working together through positive actions. The current climate is being caused by an Us vs. Them...instead of it being WE.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT