ADVERTISEMENT

LPT football recruiting allegations against Petrino...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
Their recruiting coordinator alleges Petrino used race to negatively recruit against the poor slapd!cks. This is per an unimpeachable source who used to work for Maddie Bangs.

Maybe "Vince" fed him some inside info. :p

LINK

Two%20slapdcks_zpsnzawskih.jpg

From the link, about Rupps racism

May 17

And your grandfather seemed to have his reasons, but UofL also has a history of incorporating the confederate flag with its Cardinal bird/logo.

Let’s see....U of L makes a college education available to African Americans in the 30’s, and says “come go to school here”. But because of some monuments to HISTORY we’re racist? (It is a “school, and history USED to be taught there)

Meanwhile, uk admits African Americans in the late 60’s, and ONLY when Rupp realizes......he can’t win any more NCs without them. NOT because it was the right thing to do and SHOULD have been done years earlier.

Ok. Got it

...because of some monuments to HISTORY we’re racist?...
Rollem, what "monuments" are we talking about? I'm aware of the one on 3rd Street that was relocated, but I don't recall that U of L had a connection to that. Am I mistaken, and were there others?...

Bringing up Rupp is a nasty thing to do. I don’t like hanging the “racist” sign around anyone’s neck because of what someone else did in the past.

However, this is not a recruiting violation. Just the kind of things recruiters do every day.

Reactions: Bank Cat
Rupp absolutely was a racist. However, he's been dead for 42 years, the biggie not in uk's favor is their arena still being named after him. At least we did the right thing with our biggest financial donor ever and removed his name from our stadium? Has uk???

From the link, about Rupps racism

May 17

And your grandfather seemed to have his reasons, but UofL also has a history of incorporating the confederate flag with its Cardinal bird/logo.

Let’s see....U of L makes a college education available to African Americans in the 30’s, and says “come go to school here”. But because of some monuments to HISTORY we’re racist? (It is a “school, and history USED to be taught there)

Meanwhile, uk admits African Americans in the late 60’s, and ONLY when Rupp realizes......he can’t win any more NCs without them. NOT because it was the right thing to do and SHOULD have been done years earlier.

Ok. Got it
The reason Rupp didn't recruit black young men like every other major college in the south was because of racism in the southeast. Can you imagine taking a black player into Miss or Ala, plus before air travel the team would spend the night in the city they were playing, no way that would happen. In fact UK was the first major college in the South to recruit a black player, Thomas Paine from Louisville Shawnee. So get real about calling Rupp a racist.

Last edited:
Their recruiting coordinator alleges Petrino used race to negatively recruit against the poor slapd!cks. This is per an unimpeachable source who used to work for Maddie Bangs.

Maybe "Vince" fed him some inside info. :p

LINK

Two%20slapdcks_zpsnzawskih.jpg

Uk is racist but I don't really get the Tyra reference here. Its a stretch trying to blame him. Do you no think that someone at uk would have heard that we were using that as a negative recruiting tactic.

The reason Rupp didn't recruit black young men like every other major college in the south was because of racism in the southeast. Can you imagine taking a black player into Miss or Ala, plus before air travel the team would spend the night in the city they were playing, no way that would happen. In fact UK was the first major college in the South to recruit a black player, Thomas Paine from Louisville Shawnee. So get real about calling Rupp a racist.

If Rupp wasn’t a racist and afraid to take African American kids into the Southeast, they should have dropped out of the SEC. joined the Big 10, played as an independent. There were many things he could have done if he truly was what you are saying. However, I think you’re full of crap.

BTW, Vanderbilt had the first black basketball player in the SEC in 1967. They were almost kicked out of the league, led by, you guessed it, Rupp and Ky. Stay classy Ky!

Last edited:
...I don't really get the Tyra reference here. Its a stretch trying to blame him. Do you no think that someone at uk would have heard that we were using that as a negative recruiting tactic.
Not really the subject, but since you brought it up...

I'm still waiting for "Vince" to acknowledge he made a mistake posing for that pic. Instead he tries to justify it. Completely out of touch...

Not really the subject, but since you brought it up...

I'm still waiting for "Vince" to acknowledge he made a mistake posing for that pic. Instead he tries to justify it. Completely out of touch...

I think the pic was a mistake but it really isnt something worth talking about months later. The pic has nothing to do with ksr’s report anyhow. Considering the amount of local talent we lost to uk recently it does not shock me that they know some of the recruit pitched we used.

Rollem, what "monuments" are we talking about? I'm aware of the one on 3rd Street that was relocated, but I don't recall that U of L had a connection to that. Am I mistaken, and were there others?...
I painted with a broad brush there.

Anything from pre-1969 is deemed "racist" by somebody.

Kate Smith is now a racist. :rolleyes:

uk fans even attempting to say UL was/is racist is just plain ignorant. But then it is uk.

The one, AND ONLY reason uk/the SEC accepted AA's when they did was because John McKay and his USC Trojans kicked the living chit out of Alabama, AND Texas Western did likewise to uk.

They were forced to accept AA's if they wanted to stay relevant in athletics.

UL/WKU/and numerous others accepted it before athletics were as important.

Yet, in their minds, uk and Uncle Adolph remain enlightened and progressive.

Beam me up.....

If Rupp wasn’t a racist and afraid to take African American kids into the Southeast, they should have dropped out of the SEC. joined the Big 10, played as an independent. There were many things he could have done if he truly was what you are saying. However, I think you’re full of crap.

BTW, Vanderbilt had the first black basketball player in the SEC in 1967. They were almost kicked out of the league, led by, you guessed it, Rupp and Ky. Stay classy Ky!

Since this is the football board - Nate Northington, Wilbur Hackett, Greg Page and Houston Hogg are worthy of being mentioned as the first African Americans to play football in the SEC.

I painted with a broad brush there.

Anything from pre-1969 is deemed "racist" by somebody.

Kate Smith is now a racist. :rolleyes:

uk fans even attempting to say UL was/is racist is just plain ignorant. But then it is uk.

The one, AND ONLY reason uk/the SEC accepted AA's when they did was because John McKay and his USC Trojans kicked the living chit out of Alabama, AND Texas Western did likewise to uk.

They were forced to accept AA's if they wanted to stay relevant in athletics.

UL/WKU/and numerous others accepted it before athletics were as important.

Yet, in their minds, uk and Uncle Adolph remain enlightened and progressive.

Beam me up.....
Yep. Sam “Bam” Cunningham opened the Bear’s eyes.

Tom Payne. You’re a fan? Spell it right then.

Reactions: CommodoreCard

So by your logic every coach in the SEC and ACC were racist also because none of them did what you said Rupp should have done. Yea right.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
I'll get real. I worked at the prison Tom Payne (not Paine) was in and in fact he worked as my clerk for 2 years. I saw and spoke with Tom every day. He told me many times he wished he had a dollar every time Rupp used the "n" word. So there's your real, now how about you stupid uk fans get real about his racism.
Well I got an uncle who has a cousin that works at the same prison and says your liar because Payne says he loves Rupp. Yep I misspelled his name, sue me.

Uh, revisionist history much uahkay fans? UofL was the first major school south of the Mason-Dixon Line to recruit and play African-American players in both football (50s) and basketball (early 60s). Wade Houston was recruited from Tennessee along with several other black players. Rupp was a racist of the first order and only went after Tom Payne because he was forced to by circumstances. It was the arrogance of uahkay/cayut fans calling the AA players at UofL as “n’s” and the style of play as “n-ball”. This while Joe B. Hall was recruiting and playing blacks since the early 70s. And, by the way, did the recruitment of blacks to play football at uahkay help them win ANYTHING in the $ec? Absolutely not. Having the arena where you play being named after the likes of Rupp is beyond comprehension.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

To all uk bb fans.....ask Wesley Unseld and Butch Beard why they went to UofL vs UK......that sums up all you need to know about which of the two schools was racist or not.

2 of Kentucky's greatest HS players of all time choose UofL....I wonder why? One earned All American honors and went on to be the NBA rookie of the year. Go figure that as part of history.

To all uk bb fans.....ask Wesley Unseld and Butch Beard why they went to UofL vs UK......that sums up all you need to know about which of the two schools was racist or not.

2 of Kentucky's greatest HS players of all time choose UofL....I wonder why? One earned All American honors and went on to be the NBA rookie of the year. Go figure that as part of history.

Uahkay fans are full of chit. Plus they are totally ignorant of true history.

So by your logic every coach in the SEC and ACC were racist also because none of them did what you said Rupp should have done. Yea right.

I was disproving your logic, sweetie, with facts. Get off your sister and open a book once in a while.

Or, maybe I’ll spell like you so you can read it...”hard kiytgv Rupp mhddrbi nngasjy Rupp dads obg Cats! Gaff then. G# Bia Blue!”

Last edited:
Preach,bro! We’ve had our warts but have done great at owning and removing them. Meanwhile, UKaaay either justifies or cover ups. SMH, it’s sad, bro. I don’t get it, it’s like they’re sick in the head.

Reactions: zipp
Mayoman, I was going to bring up the Wes Unseld story as well. Rupp told Unseld he go go to sUcK and play but he couldn’t eat, sleep or socialize with the white players.

Actually what Unseld said was Rupp very much wanted him to play for Kentucky, but was very honest about what it would be like for him to play in Mississippi and Alabama. In fact Unseld was appreciative of Rupp for being that honest. Rupp never told him he couldn't be around the white players.
What he told him was there would be major issues when they were in states where Jim Crow laws were enforced and Unseld chose to go elsewhere and I don't blame him for that, but it doesn't make Rupp a racist for being honest.

Actually what Unseld said was Rupp very much wanted him to play for Kentucky, but was very honest about what it would be like for him to play in Mississippi and Alabama. In fact Unseld was appreciative of Rupp for being that honest. Rupp never told him he couldn't be around the white players.
What he told him was there would be major issues when they were in states where Jim Crow laws were enforced and Unseld chose to go elsewhere and I don't blame him for that, but it doesn't make Rupp a racist for being honest.

Revisionist history much? Rupp should have been a leader in the integration movement, not a hinderance. He could have done this by leaving the $ec and going to another conference but he chose the segregationist ways of ignorance of the $ec.

gocds, I was thinking the same thing these guys are trying to rewrite the events that really happened. I remember reading about the events of Rupp recruiting these players when I was a kid. It wasn’t anything like they are saying I guess they are trying to make themselves feel good about the name on their basketball arena.

Not to let facts get in the way of Loserville propaganda....but Rupp had black players when he coached in Kansas in the 30s. Rupp did recruit Unseld and Beard, but told the families what it would be like playing in the south and they decided not to come to UK. Can't blame them. The only thing Rupp wasn't willing to do was have a token black player to sit on the bench. He was only going to take black players that could play, and most of those guys were unwilling to put up with the crap you had to put up with to play in the SEC. In fact he helped several in state players get scholarships with schools in other areas of the country outside of the south.
Keep telling yourself that.

We just all need to accept that people that lived back then were WRONG in their views about race....and although some may have been good people...their choices in how they handled race will haunt them forever.

This state's history isn't as bad as some, but having African-American ancestry that lived in the 20th century in Louisville and Kentucky...you just are raised knowing how those things play into today. Louisville was home to more African Americans than many places in America post-civil war....segregation lasted into the 70's....we had the 1968 riots....AA's feared going in the rural parts of the state. Of course...we don't have history like the deep south...but still not where we'd like to be at this time. (Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia...)

The city of Louisville wasn't a model of racial harmony...far from it in those times. Louisville African Americans in the post Civil War and pre Civil rights age lived in terrible poverty and were treated as 2nd class citizens. But, there were more African American's in Louisville than in the rest of the state....it felt safer to be in a larger group than by yourself in a white area. There was apprehension to leave for white Lexington....at the same time the rural state feared the big city.

Was Adolph Rupp a good man? Was he racist? None of us have ever met the man...it's not for me to judge. But...what I do know is that he didn't make the stand that he should....Many in that era could be called victims of their time...and I'd say most everyone with white relatives probably had family members in that time that didn't make the right choices...Had Rupp made the morally right statements and recruited more African Americans...we wouldn't be here debating his legacy. Had he lost 1 game before the Texas Western game...maybe no one talks about it...but that's not what happened.

You can't forget the past...but you can't sit and debate it forever. Adolph Rupp was not George Wallace....but at the same time he wasn't Bobby Kennedy on race either. He sits where most people of his time sat...lived the best he could as a man...but afraid to speak up for things that needed to change. Joe B Hall did a lot to mend the racial fences that Rupp left in disrepair...and then Tubby Smith becoming the 3rd ever AA coach to win a championship was a big deal considering the vast lack of AA coaching representation across North America. It showed that while you cannot go back and fix the past...you can still learn and make the future better.

We just all need to accept that people that lived back then were WRONG in their views about race....and although some may have been good people...their choices in how they handled race will haunt them forever.

This state's history isn't as bad as some, but having African-American ancestry that lived in the 20th century in Louisville and Kentucky...you just are raised knowing how those things play into today. Louisville was home to more African Americans than many places in America post-civil war....segregation lasted into the 70's....we had the 1968 riots....AA's feared going in the rural parts of the state. Of course...we don't have history like the deep south...but still not where we'd like to be at this time. (Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia...)

The city of Louisville wasn't a model of racial harmony...far from it in those times. Louisville African Americans in the post Civil War and pre Civil rights age lived in terrible poverty and were treated as 2nd class citizens. But, there were more African American's in Louisville than in the rest of the state....it felt safer to be in a larger group than by yourself in a white area. There was apprehension to leave for white Lexington....at the same time the rural state feared the big city.

Was Adolph Rupp a good man? Was he racist? None of us have ever met the man...it's not for me to judge. But...what I do know is that he didn't make the stand that he should....Many in that era could be called victims of their time...and I'd say most everyone with white relatives probably had family members in that time that didn't make the right choices...Had Rupp made the morally right statements and recruited more African Americans...we wouldn't be here debating his legacy. Had he lost 1 game before the Texas Western game...maybe no one talks about it...but that's not what happened.

You can't forget the past...but you can't sit and debate it forever. Adolph Rupp was not George Wallace....but at the same time he wasn't Bobby Kennedy on race either. He sits where most people of his time sat...lived the best he could as a man...but afraid to speak up for things that needed to change. Joe B Hall did a lot to mend the racial fences that Rupp left in disrepair...and then Tubby Smith becoming the 3rd ever AA coach to win a championship was a big deal considering the vast lack of AA coaching representation across North America. It showed that while you cannot go back and fix the past...you can still learn and make the future better.
Interesting take. You are far more forgiving of Rupp than many.

gocds, I was thinking the same thing these guys are trying to rewrite the events that really happened. I remember reading about the events of Rupp recruiting these players when I was a kid. It wasn’t anything like they are saying I guess they are trying to make themselves feel good about the name on their basketball arena.

Butch Beard has said many times he wanted to come to Kentucky and Rupp wanted him at Kentucky, and was likely headed to Kentucky until Rupp had a candid conversation with his mother about Beard's safety which worried her and Beard decided to go to U of L because they played no games in the deep south. Beard even got death threats for considering Kentucky. So unless you are calling Beard a liar, then your statements about Rupp being racist don't wash. The fact that Rupp even went to visit Beard showed how interested he was in getting Beard, because Rupp never met recruits or their families as that was always left to Harry Lancaster or other assistant coaches.

This was all a bunch of fiction stirred up to promote Glory Road as a black vs white thing, which it was not at the time. Paine wasn't even the first black player to play for Rupp. Rupp had black players in the 20s before he became the coach at Kentucky. Rupp was a jerk at times with everyone, but no racist.

Reactions: BrianBowenFatStacks
Doubt Rupp was the monster he’s been made out to be, bro. Prolly just a douchebag basketball coach that was representative of his time, bro. Bet he cared more about winning basketball games than the skin color of his players. Didn’t the Texas western coach admit to making the racial shit up to fire up his team?

UKaaay #trashcats fans, though, they have a funny habit of shit talking the #birdgang about the bad shit we’ve had happen and handled while ignoring all the crooked, corrupt shit they’ve done. Always and I mean always an excuse in BBN, bro.

#catsontherock

Reactions: BrianBowenFatStacks
I heard that Rupp inspired the poor people campaign and taught Martin Luther King how to write speeches. Good on him for getting sister Rosa to the bus stop on that fateful day.

LMAO BBN #trashcats

You all are so delusional about the facts Rupp was worried about black players because they had to play in the Deep South. sUcK was the last SEC school to have black players even Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia had black players before sUcK.

Yeah they could have joined a pathetic conference like the Missouri Valley....you're delusional.

Uh, dumb@$$ there were other conferences out there that would have jumped at the opportunity to bring uahkay into their fold. Like maybe the Big10 or the ACC. I think you’d be willing to think before typing your drivel. Of course, your ignorant comments are exactly what is expected from the likes of a uahkay/cayut fan. I think you need to slither back to your own boards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT