ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville vs Miss State in the Tax slayer bowl

Nice. A warm weather Bowl location. Against a team that has lost its coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator (some dude named Grantham), offensive line coach, WR coach and starting QB.

Last edited:
Reactions: nccardfan
I'm OK with it. Not real crazy about the opponent but happy about the location. Better than being in Tennessee in late December, early January.

Reactions: landwrecker
Lamar Jackson is going to play...not a good look for a QB to sit out...other position yes but not if you want to be the face of a NFL Franchise.

Louisville 49 Mississippi State 27...

Reactions: American Male
Hope Lamar nor Jaire play in this game.
Completely agree. Last thing in the world that should happen is either of those guys getting hurt. Plus, would be great for Pass to get all of those reps - Bama will be here before you know it.

Nice. A warm weather Bowl location. Against a team that has lost its coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator (some dude named Grantham), offensive line coach, WR coach and starting QB.
I have watched Miss State, talented team but not sure they can overcome losing so much of their coaching staff.

Reactions: Steelers2012
If Mullen stay and Fitzgerald was healthy, this would have probably have been the most exciting bowl contest with two very high scoring teams. Though Miss State will be bad in this game, it will be a good chance for your younger players to get some confidence going into the off season.

This bowl game setting up eerily similar to last year. Facing a 8-4 SEC team in a Florida bowl game who's recently had some tumult with their HC.

Reactions: American Male
This bowl game setting up eerily similar to last year. Facing a 8-4 SEC team in a Florida bowl game who's recently had some tumult with their HC.
There are no similarities to last year. We limped into the end of the season with a ton of injuries, and our offensive line still sucked. We just had no answers for LSU's defense.

This year we come in on a three game winning streak, and knock on wood, are pretty healthy. On top of that our offensive line is finally gelling, and combined with Lamar's passing, we should be able to put up a lot of points. And with Fitzgerald out for MSU, they will struggle offensively. If the kids come to play, and I think they will, should be a fun day for Card fans.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
If our defense shows up, we will beat Mississippi State. Here is thier 2017 schedule:

Sat, Sept 2 vs Charleston So W 49-0
1-0 (0-0)

Sat, Sept 9 @ LA Tech W 57-21
2-0 (0-0)

Sat, Sept 16 vs #12
LSU W 37-7
3-0 (1-0)

Sat, Sept 23 @ #11 Georgia L 31-3
3-1 (1-1)

Sat, Sept 30 @ #13 Auburn L49-10
3-2 (1-2)

Sat, Oct 14 vs BYU W 35-10
4-2 (1-2)

Sat, Oct 21 vs Kentucky W 45-7
5-2 (2-2)

Sat, Oct 28 @ Texas A&M W 35-14
6-2 (3-2)

Sat, Nov 4 vs UMass W 34-23
7-2 (3-2)

Sat, Nov 11 vs #2 Alabama L 31-24
7-3 (3-3)

Sat, Nov 18 @ Arkansas W 28-21
8-3 (4-3)

Thu, Nov 23 vs Ole Miss L 31-28
8-4 (4-4)

TAXSLAYER BOWL
Sat, Dec 30 vs Louisville*
12:00 PM ET

I have looked all over to see who is going to coach MSU but can't find anything. Why wouldn't the coordinators stay until the bowl game and coach? Isn't that what typically happens in this scenario? Maybe Mullen wants them out on the recruiting trail right away and not wasting time on the former gig.

MSU has beaten some good teams, we haven't beaten any good teams. They lost their coach, and we finished strong (albeit against bad teams). Who is the best team that we have beat? Virginia?

Morgantown give the Kitties & Purdue some credit. I think both those teams give VA all they want. Truth is all three are about equal, UK however is 7-5, and as people say at this time of the year " You are what your record says you are" !

I have looked all over to see who is going to coach MSU but can't find anything. Why wouldn't the coordinators stay until the bowl game and coach? Isn't that what typically happens in this scenario? Maybe Mullen wants them out on the recruiting trail right away and not wasting time on the former gig.

MSU has beaten some good teams, we haven't beaten any good teams. They lost their coach, and we finished strong (albeit against bad teams). Who is the best team that we have beat? Virginia?
Joe Moorhead, former OC for Penn State. Has impressive credentials although I did not know much about him. Gets a lot of credit for reviving PSU offense.

Ron English (yes, that Ron English) is still on staff although he was in charge of safeties.

Moorehead is going to coach their bowl game?
He is NOT. The interim head coach for the bowl game is Greg Knox, the running backs coach and special teams coordinator. I believe he will head off to Florida after the bowl game. Moorehead will be around for practice to evaluate talent for the future, but he will not be involved in coaching the bowl game.

He is NOT. The interim head coach for the bowl game is Greg Knox, the running backs coach and special teams coordinator. I believe he will head off to Florida after the bowl game. Moorehead will be around for practice to evaluate talent for the future, but he will not be involved in coaching the bowl game.

That makes sense. Thank you.

Do any of you remember when Dantonio left UC for Michigan State, and Brian Kelly left Central Michigan for UC? Kelly coached UC's bowl game and Dantonio coached Michigan State in their bowl game. I think both teams won too. I wonder how much "coaching" these guys actually did though.

Reactions: CardsFirst
Actually I remember reading thatKelley and his coaches leaned as much as possible of the Cincy system to coach Cincy in the Bowl.

I think it has more similarities to our Bowl game in 2015 against Texas A&M. SEC West team tailing off from what was a promising season and starting a backup QB.

Meanwhile the Cards come in on a roll just like in 2015.

MSU fan here. We have NO idea what to expect from the team in Jacksonville. Our backup QB is a legit talent, but a true freshman. He had TO problems against Ole Miss, which is why we ended up losing that game. He is listed at 6'4" and 222 lbs, but he is probably 235'ish or so these days. He is a good runner, he is paired with a couple of good backs, and they have a good OL to run behind.

I would look for us to run 65% of the time. We had 62 rushes on 94 plays against Ole Miss. We dominated yards, first downs (27 to 11), and time of possession, but the 5 turnovers just killed us. Ole Miss is not a good team, but they can score on anyone, and we just couldn't afford to come up empty on 5 trips into their territory like we did. If Fitz didn't break his leg at the start of the game, I think we would have won that one easily.

I don't like our coaching situation. We will have GA's handling a lot of duties. This game could get ugly just due to inexperience.

Reactions: Morgantown Card
MSU fan here. We have NO idea what to expect from the team in Jacksonville. Our backup QB is a legit talent, but a true freshman. He had TO problems against Ole Miss, which is why we ended up losing that game. He is listed at 6'4" and 222 lbs, but he is probably 235'ish or so these days. He is a good runner, he is paired with a couple of good backs, and they have a good OL to run behind.

I would look for us to run 65% of the time. We had 62 rushes on 94 plays against Ole Miss. We dominated yards, first downs (27 to 11), and time of possession, but the 5 turnovers just killed us. Ole Miss is not a good team, but they can score on anyone, and we just couldn't afford to come up empty on 5 trips into their territory like we did. If Fitz didn't break his leg at the start of the game, I think we would have won that one easily.

I don't like our coaching situation. We will have GA's handling a lot of duties. This game could get ugly just due to inexperience.

Coaching is a big deal. I wish your coordinators had at least stuck around for the game. Besides the whole "Grantham-Sermon Bowl" thing, it would just make the game more meaningful if your coordinators were there. MSU definitely could still win, you guys came on strong after stumbling out of the gate. So the talent is there, but you've had some key injuries and your coaches all left. So if the Cards win it will feel like a bit of an asterisk to it. At least for me.

Dogs will dominate both lines of scrimmage. Won't be much of a contest.

Dogs will dominate both lines of scrimmage. Won't be much of a contest.
I have a hard time believing it won’t be much of a contest. It seemed like a pretty even match up going in and MSU is without their HC, DC, and OC and starting QB. They’ve only lost to elite teams excluding, Ole Miss, who was about as good as BC this year. So they appear to be a good squad. The margin of victory over common opponent UK was about 10-12 points greater, but UL played in Lexington. Seems like an even match up.

Motivation will be on your side again, another power 5 school that was desperate for a coach and wouldn't offer Bob.

Motivation will be on your side again, another power 5 school that was desperate for a coach and wouldn't offer Bob.

No one offered coach stOOPID either, did they Mattie bangs.

See here chump, because Petrino messed up at Arkansas, no one
will try and poach him. Several SEC schools INCLUDING your sissy-mary cayuts,
would give their right arms for Petrino.

P7C1

Petrino 7 cayuts 1.

Run tell dat!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT