ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville Vs. Miss. St. Game Thread

Miss St is much quicker and going right around our guards. We look spent. Can they find energy at the half?

Reactions: Deeva
They can't miss and we can't hit I know there are 2 halves in every ball game I just hope the 2nd half is ours.

It's back to the can't corral the loose ball and blocked shots into assists for the other team. I swear I've never seen such a lopsided loose ball percentage.

And of course we get no home court advantage with the refs.

It's the length. MSU has a lot of length and this UofL team isn't able to figure it out. All the teams that handled them easily this year have been long.

This season is about to be over unless something miraculous happens.

We just never looked prepared. MSU was, ready for a battle. It' unbelievable, but it's like the guys just expected another performance like the Middle Tennessee game.

When they realized it's not going to be as easy, they panicked or whatever you want to call it. This is where coaching is needed.

Well I've seen enough to say good night. 6 AM comes mighty early, and I'm not getting any younger. This has been a really weird season, and frankly it's going to be a relief to see it come to an end.

On to the next chapter of UofL basketball.

Go CARDS!!!

But we still should be better offensively than we are. I still after all these games dont know what our offense is supposed to be. There's no real structure. If we can't post up it's run around and shoot before the shock clock runs out.

They have better athletes than we do plus they have a big guy inside. They look better than half of the NCAA teams I saw. We need to get better players and better athletes.
And have a couple of high ranking forwards coming in. Howland will work their butts off.
It’s also guard play. We have struggled against teams that have two or more athletic guards.
And we USED to be known for athletic guards.

I haven't watched Miss State all year, but they looked like a FINAL FOUR team, not somebody in a conciliation tournament. Strong big guys down low, elite guard play, get up & down the court and good defense. Maybe they were having the UMBC moment with all players having the best games of their careers on the same night, but they did not look like an NIT team.

And have a couple of high ranking forwards coming in. Howland will work their butts off.

And we USED to be known for athletic guards.
When even schools like Mississippi State are out-recruiting us, it is time for people to start asking some hard questions.

I haven't watched Miss State all year, but they looked like a FINAL FOUR team, not somebody in a conciliation tournament. Strong big guys down low, elite guard play, get up & down the court and good defense. Maybe they were having the UMBC moment with all players having the best games of their careers on the same night, but they did not look like an NIT team.

Yeah, my thought was how didn’t they win more games?

Did they out recruit us or were they better coached. We used to complain about CRP and his strict emphasis on defense. However it looks like the defensive teams are doing better in the tournament. I was impressed with MSU they were definitely the better team.
The SEC is much improved they have hired better coaches. I won't be surprised if MSU wins the NIT they look like a top 25 team to me.

Did they out recruit us or were they better coached. We used to complain about CRP and his strict emphasis on defense. However it looks like the defensive teams are doing better in the tournament. I was impressed with MSU they were definitely the better team.
The SEC is much improved they have hired better coaches. I won't be surprised if MSU wins the NIT they look like a top 25 team to me.

MSU had us scouted very well. Completely shut down our top options on offense.

Did they out recruit us or were they better coached?
Short answer is yes. They out recruited the Cardnals and currently have a better coach with lots of experience. They were long, athletic, and had very quick athletic guards who could shoot. Their coach is very good at his job too.

Reactions: MikeMcCammon
MSU had us scouted very well. Completely shut down our top options on offense.
As did the usual suspects on our team who cared more about getting their shots than making the extra pass necessary to get better shots. By the second half guys were taking shots as soon as they got the ball knowing they would never get it back in that possession. Adel and King set the tone for this disaster early on.

Will be interesting to see who Mack (based on what I’ve been told - I’ve concluded he’s the next coach) will be able to retain. I like Nwora’s game but you could tell that in the last few games - he was all about making up for those DNP’s and getting shots up - highlighted by his dribbling 1/3 of the court for a dunk while King stood under the basket against mtsu. That’s an attitude that needs to change or, he needs to move on.

I think King simply needs the lower expectations that a change of scenery will provide.

Reactions: Cue Card
Will be interesting to see who Mack (based on what I’ve been told - I’ve concluded he’s the next coach) will be able to retain. I like Nwora’s game but you could tell that in the last few games - he was all about making up for those DNP’s and getting shots up - highlighted by his dribbling 1/3 of the court for a dunk while King stood under the basket against mtsu. That’s an attitude that needs to change or, he needs to move on.

I think King simply needs the lower expectations that a change of scenery will provide.
Noticed that too about Nwora. He will have to improve that attitude or he'll be shown the door.

No matter what happens, who stays, who goes, or who is hired, we're still going to be in for some rough years because of the probation tag. It cuts scholarships and places other hardships on the program as well. Sadly, even with an underchieving year, this past year will probably be one of the better years for the foreseeable future.

Noticed that too about Nwora. He will have to improve that attitude or he'll be shown the door.

No matter what happens, who stays, who goes, or who is hired, we're still going to be in for some rough years because of the probation tag. It cuts scholarships and places other hardships on the program as well. Sadly, even with an underchieving year, this past year will probably be one of the better years for the foreseeable future.
Perhaps - will have wait and see how it shakes out. A good coach / recruiter can work around the loss of a schollie - just have to be more precise in who you target.

As for next year - I think Ray is the key. If he stays, the year is salvageable. If not - look out.

Last night Perry was the worst even though the game was already decided. There was one stretch that he must have taken 7 or 8 shots in a row and they all seemed to be crazy off balance drives with shots that had no chance. Very disappointing. This is what guys like Adel and King do to a team.

Last night Perry was the worst even though the game was already decided. There was one stretch that he must have taken 7 or 8 shots in a row and they all seemed to be crazy off balance drives with shots that had no chance. Very disappointing. This is what guys like Adel and King do to a team.
Ok - I’ll bite. Please connect the dots between Adel and King, and Perry jacking up shots.

Ok - I’ll bite. Please connect the dots between Adel and King, and Perry jacking up shots.
Sure. Those guys represent the leadership of the team along with a couple others. When they start the game jacking up bad shot after bad shot it just causes other players to do the same. I know the competition was better last night but to break down a good defense you have to be patient and not take so many low percentage shots. This is what Adel and King have done all year and why I still think we have looked better in games where they played fewer minutes. What they do is like a cancer whether you are in a street ball game or a high level college game.

I like Nwora’s game but you could tell that in the last few games - he was all about making up for those DNP’s and getting shots up - highlighted by his dribbling 1/3 of the court for a dunk while King stood under the basket against mtsu. That’s an attitude that needs to change or, he needs to move on.

I don't see a problem with this play. Nwora made the steal, there were no defenders past midcourt so he took it for the slam, maybe sparking some much needed energy. Besides, the way things were going, a pass to King stood a good chance of being fumbled out of bounds.[

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT