ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville Volleyball Advances to NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
The Cardinals opened the NCAA tournament Thursday afternoon against the San Diego Toreros in Omaha, NE. After a very slow start for UofL and losing the first set 25-14, the Cards stormed back to win the following three sets and advance to the Sweet 16 for the second consecutive season. Coach Dani Busboom Kelly referenced the bubble being a reason the team came out flat-footed. UofL hit a frigid -.077 and had scored the first six points for the Toreros on hitting errors.

"For sure we had some nerves in the first set. I think one of the things about being in the bubble is it is tough," said Busboom Kelly. "We had 30 minutes to practice on that court at 7 a.m. yesterday and that is the only 30 minutes we got. At 7 a.m. in general you wouldn't get much out of it and when you are in a whole new arena on a new court with weird backdrop, it is just a lot of different things going on that are out of the norm. I wasn't surprised we started out slowly but it went poorly in a hurry. I didn't think necessarily that we would be bad for the whole set but I knew we couldn't play much worse than that after game one. That is kind of to be expected. San Diego got to play before. (they played Wednesday to beat Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 3-0) While it is great to be seeded and get a bye and it is an advantage in some ways but I think it was a disadvantage as a set up because you didn't get the experience in the environment because it is so unique."

Overall, UofL hit .227 with 15 blocks and five aces, surviving 12 service errors. ACC and AVCA East Region Freshman of the Year Anna DeBeer had 11 kills and five blocks. Amaya Tillman rejected USD nine times, adding four kills. Tori Dilfer ran the offense with 41 assists and an ace, helping out with four blocks. Chaussee filled up the stat box notching a career-high in kills as she threw down 21, adding two aces and a team-high 10 digs.

We'll pass on first set details, leaving the description of the Cards action to Dr. Seuss' Grinch. Stink, stank, stunk.

In the second set, San Diego maintained momentum early, using a 6-0 run to go up 14-10 early. Busboom Kelly inserted Chausee into the lineup and she responded with seven kills, hitting .875 and scored five of the final 10 points of the set. UofL did not regain the lead until 22-21 on a miss by Fayad. A kill by Chaussee gave the Cards set point at 24-23 and a ball-handling error charged to the Toreros gave the Cards the 25-23 win and evened the set score going into the break.

In the third set, a deflated San Diego squad let the Cardinals jump out to an 8-5 lead early but tied at ten on a UofL miscue. UofL responded immediately with a 5-0 run to go up 15-10 at the media timeout. The Cards commanded the lead down the stretch to a 25-17 win. Chaussee paced the Cards with five kills and two aces in the set.

The fourth set was a thriller. Louisville went through eight ties and four lead changes and we got bonus Volleyball, before Louisville got a block by Amaya Tillman and Aiko Jones to win set and match 29-27.

The Cards advance to play the Washington Huskies on Sunday. Time is TBD. The Huskies are 18-3 after beating Dayton Thursday afternoon 3-2.

--sonja--

I don't know how many follow volleyball at U of L since the men do not even field a team, but the ladies, who play an exciting game, are quite good, but go up against a tough team in Washington tomorrow afternoon. I do have to marvel while watching the number one seeded team in the tournament, Wisconsin, play Brigham Young. The Badgers have three players that stand 6'9", 6'8", and 6'7". In contrast the volleyball Cards have one 6'3" player who is the tallest player on the team. Wouldn't Coach Walz like to have some of that size!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT