ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville "Commitment" video from 1989.

Man that brings back some memories! How things have changed. How many back then (To include me) thought we would be in the ACC today playing in a 65,000 seat stadium.

Those teams were hungry and aggressive as were the fans. We need that hunger back because we still haven’t received a NC trophy yet....and I still believe the only variable is time. They should show that to the current team.

i asked him after his tumbleweed call in show how does he get kids in louisville to dream of a National Championship and that ol’ voice growled, “These kids believe in the Easter Bunny and Santy Claus they by-god can believe in a national championship’
I’m still wrestling with this context.

i asked him after his tumbleweed call in show how does he get kids in louisville to dream of a National Championship and that ol’ voice growled, “These kids believe in the Easter Bunny and Santy Claus they by-god can believe in a national championship’
I’m still wrestling with this context.

That’s the first I heard that. That’s hilarious, but true. I met Howard and Beverly once. My wife, daughter, and me. Couldn’t be any nicer. We must have talked with them 20 or 30 minutes. Finally his publicist or whoever was driving had to pull him away. Just really nice people.

We have no football program without Howard. He is the architect that built this program.

We have no football program without Howard. He is the architect that built this program.

Or Frank Camp, who kept things going in the dark early years. Don't forget all of the Cardinal history. And Lee Corso did energize the program during his time here too. When he left the program went very far down hill very fast....until CHS resurrected the program from the dead.

The rest of the history follows from there to where we are now. A very long and winding road to say the least.

CHS always seems to ignite that dream. I’m thinking “National Championship” already.

Or Frank Camp, who kept things going in the dark early years. Don't forget all of the Cardinal history. And Lee Corso did energize the program during his time here too. When he left the program went very far down hill very fast....until CHS resurrected the program from the dead.

The rest of the history follows from there to where we are now. A very long and winding road to say the least.
Vince Gibson had some decent teams. When he left Bob Weber took over and struggled with little money or support.

Reactions: Mayoman
That was fun to watch it was really dated even the uniforms were old fashioned, they looked big and saggy. Not only did Howard save our football program but he put it on a national stage.

My wife said there’s a push on Facebook to get the stadium named after Ali and obviously Ali has been huge for the city. And no offense to Ali or those pushing it, but if that stadium is named after anyone it has to be Howard Schnellenberger period. That stadium is here because of him resurrecting our FB program. He came at the perfect time.

Camp, Corso, Gibson. Yes you are correct there were coaches before Howard. But before Howard came in, UofL was about to dismantle the football program and drop it entirely. They chose to take one last shot by hiring Howard. So once again, we have no football program without Howard.

Camp, Corso, Gibson. Yes you are correct there were coaches before Howard. But before Howard came in, UofL was about to dismantle the football program and drop it entirely. They chose to take one last shot by hiring Howard. So once again, we have no football program without Howard.

And you don't think Camp overcame that same problem? Without Camp, none of the others would have had a FB program to coach.

Don't get me wrong....I am a huge CHS fan too....hes earned all the credit you are giving him.....but so does Camp, et al, etc. You have to have a program at all in order to save it.:D;)

Camp-Schnellenberger Cardinal Stadium

I have thought of that one myself. That would cover a lot of bases but won't get ya any naming rights money $$$.....which is ok with me but it won't pay the bills. CSCS has a really nice ring to it though.:cool::D Great minds think alike maybe....?

And you don't think Camp overcame that same problem? Without Camp, none of the others would have had a FB program to coach.

Don't get me wrong....I am a huge CHS fan too....hes earned all the credit you are giving him.....but so does Camp, et al, etc. You have to have a program at all in order to save it.:D;)

No. CHS put down the ultimatum. Basically put money towards the program and work towards a stadium or he wasn’t coming to UofL. No other coach was able to do that, so others may have attempted, but they didn’t succeed. And our program was about to be done away with, so yes there was a program but it was on life support and about to have the plug pulled. Howard brought it back to life, made it legitimate and here we are today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT