ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville and LJ were just an answer on Jeopardy.

lamar.jpg

in case anyone wanted to see it

Did the contestants get it right?

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

The correct pronunciation of a city is how the majority of its residents pronounce it. Most Louisvillians pronounce it Lou-a-vull. The residents of Baltimore, MD pronounce their City Ball-a-more.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
The correct pronunciation of a city is how the majority of its residents pronounce it. Most Louisvillians pronounce it Lou-a-vull. The residents of Baltimore, MD pronounce their City Ball-a-more.

Bull chip. The way the city got its name is the correct pronunciation. The residents are too intelligent to get it right.

Pronunciations evolve. I know of no local who says "Looeyville."

I have known locals to say "Looeyville", and I say it myself when talking to people that aren't from here on the phone or when out of town. It makes sense to say it that way to such people.

My personal favorite pronunciation, however, is how CBS News anchors used to say it. "Looeyvull".

You keep the Louis from the King of France. You keep the southern "vull", like Nashvull and Knoxvull. You don't sound like you are pronouncing lazily. It's very intentional and in my ears, sounds classy.

The worst pronunciation of any, of course, is to pronounce the S.

The second worst pronunciation is Louaville. - pronouncing the VILLE but slurring the first part. That one makes my head explode.

It’s all about how the residents prounounce it. Like Cairo IL is pronounced Cayrow even though it’s named after Cairo Egypt which is KI-row.

ADVERTISEMENT