ADVERTISEMENT

Look, we shouldn’t suck this bad.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Rebuild, it’s Petrino’s fault, no talent, whatever. We play in the ACC. It’s not like we’ve been going up against giants, no disrespect intended. There isn’t a single promising thing about this team. The Tutu jet sweep, which is called frequently, has been figured out. Malik is not a good QB. Athletic, yes. Not a good QB. Maybe Satt found fools gold last year. And, I’ll admit this is petty of me. I don’t dig his hick schtick. We aren’t an ag school like Lexington U.

I agree. Definitely shouldn’t suck on the level that we do. This team looks poorly coached and it’s fair to question the effort of the players. That’s a bad optic for a coach preaching culture.

Reactions: rh62531
Wow. The guy has coached 1 complete season. We are 3-4 games into his second season, a season impacted by a once in a century pandemic.
He has 1 recruiting class under his belt. 1.
The guys that quit, the ones I saw, were Petrino's guys. No surprise there.

Regression is because of what then? The natural ability of the entire roster declined in unison?

Last year we lost every game where we lost the turnover margin and won every game when we were positive in turnover margin. This year we have been dreadful on turnover margin. We don’t have superior talent right now to overcome that. Last year he took over a historically awful team and through good coaching made them competitive and furthermore through some good luck (turnover margin) we won more than we lost. If we don’t continually cough up the ball we could very easily be 3-1.

Last year we lost every game where we lost the turnover margin and won every game when we were positive in turnover margin. This year we have been dreadful on turnover margin. We don’t have superior talent right now to overcome that. Last year he took over a historically awful team and through good coaching made them competitive and furthermore through some good luck (turnover margin) we won more than we lost. If we don’t continually cough up the ball we could very easily be 3-1.
Excuses and deflections.

Excuses and deflections.

If you have some schematic things you’d like to see coach improve upon then I’m all ears. Poor turnover margin is an excuse but I don’t think Javian Hawkins lost zero fumbles last year because of great coaching nor do I think he had two fumbles Friday night because of poor coaching.

Reactions: PushupMan

Easily 3-1 Hank? C’mon. We were outplayed decidedly in all 3 losses. Totally dominated by Miami and bullied by Pitt. I’d argue we should have lost both those games by more. The thing I do agree with you about is TO margin. That’s why we won a lot of close games last year even though we weren’t the better team in most.

Regression is because of what then? The natural ability of the entire roster declined in unison?

I already explained why we have regressed. We no longer have those explosive cutback runs because of the matchup nightmare that Mekhi Becton created. Last year, defenses had to overplay to his side, creating those cutback lanes.

You can blame both Scott Satterfield and Bobby Petrino for there not being anyone else on the roster (either offense or defense) who creates matchup problems like Becton did, but at this point, I have to say that’s mostly (80%) on Petrino’s failings as a recruiter.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
Easily 3-1 Hank? C’mon. We were outplayed decidedly in all 3 losses. Totally dominated by Miami and bullied by Pitt. I’d argue we should have lost both those games by more. The thing I do agree with you about is TO margin. That’s why we won a lot of close games last year even though we weren’t the better team in most.

We were outplayed by Pitt. However if we don’t turn the ball over we very conceivably would’ve won. Alas turnovers are part of the game. But you would hope our turnover foibles will head back to the mean.

Reactions: RomanOben
Play through the whistle against Pitt, finish the tackle, we may have won. Seven points instead of three was the difference. Breakdown in fundamentals is the difference in many games. Our margin of error is very small and can't overcome breakdowns.

If you have some schematic things you’d like to see coach improve upon then I’m all ears. Poor turnover margin is an excuse but I don’t think Javian Hawkins lost zero fumbles last year because of great coaching nor do I think he had two fumbles Friday night because of poor coaching.

I just keep going back to what Satterfield said after the game that rubbed me the wrong way. "Sum it up in two words - missed tackles. We are not a very good tackling team and it's been that way for three or four years here probably. We've got to do something about it." First of all, take some accountability. He's had plenty of time to coach them up in the tackling department. Stop it with the "it's the previous staff's fault." It's a bit concerning he's unable to coach fundamentals. I think the offensive play calling is becoming a little predictable. Opponents know when the Tutu Jet Sweep is about to occur. I'd just like to see improvement. We are seeing the same thing as last year, only sloppier and uglier.

Last edited:
I just keep going back to what Satterfield said after the game that rubbed me the wrong way. "Sum it up in two words - missed tackles. We are not a very good tackling team and it's been that way for three or four years here probably. We've got to do something about it." First of all, take some accountability. He's had plenty of time to coach them up in the tackling department. Stop it with the "it's the previous staff's fault." It's a bit concerning he's unable to coach fundamentals. I think the offensive play calling is becoming a little predictable. Opponents know when the Tutu Jet Sweep is about to occur. I'd just like to see improvement. We are seeing the same thing as last year, only sloppier and uglier.

Yes, they are things that have to get better. Tackling has been pathetic. There are three main components to tackling - form, speed and position. Form can be taught although I’d hope a college football player would know how to tackle. Speed is an inherent skill. The biggest issue is positioning - are you in the right spot, can you shed the blocker. This is where coaching needs to improve. We have guys running around without purpose. They go around the blocker instead of ripping through. They don’t understand their responsibilities so they are out of position to make a play.

Reactions: PHCARD and CardX
Last year Scott had the advantage of selling these guys on momentum. There were a bunch of guys hungry to win games after being a punching bag the previous year. We played desperate. Guys like Malik, Hawkins, and Tutu were added in to a new offense for Scott and we caught some guys by surprise.

We were the underdogs that kept fighting. Boston College had a backup QB, we almost lost but won on a last second FG. We carried that momentum down to Wake Forrest. We got some lucky breaks ang got up big, but we did give up 59 points and thank goodness we got a break on that onside kick review. We held strong and upset UVA. NC State was just down and we were on the upswing and got a win. Cuse was a trainwreck and we had a strong win, really our only strong win of the year and we gave up 34 points. Then we have a month to prepare and take out a good Miss State team in a bowl game who was in turmoil.

But they were a team that went 2-10 the year before. The Clemson blowout was acceptable, but the signs were there when Miami and Kentucky blew us off the field. We had an awful defense without any talent. The fact that we went 8-5 is amazing. It required luck, but good coaching in those tight games got us the win.

But now in 2020, it's a bit different. Bobby didn't recruit the lines. We had a mass exodus of transfers and Scott didn't get a real recruiting class his first year. We didn't have a real offseason. So it's really the same team that just had no depth and lacked talent on defense or on the lines. We maxed out last year, but we easily could've been 4-8.

The ACC is better this year. There's more film on our guys, so Tutu/Malik/Hawkins aren't catching anyone off guard. The defense still doesn't have size or depth & that can't be changed in 1 recruiting class. We have expectations and we aren't the scrappy underdog anymore. Last year wasn't fools gold, because we had a good year, but I think we really played way above our heads along with having some great luck.

I don't think we're any worse than last season, but 10 ACC games and no breaks is tough. Miami is just more talented. Pitt is always bowl eligible. GT has been down, but they're in a recruiting paradise and can restock quicker than us, & Paul Johnson before them left them a good roster, unlike Bobby.

This isn't the AAC/Big East/CUSA anymore, we have to compete against 13 other competent programs that all have big money invested in football. No more worrying about WVU, Cincy, Rutgers, UConn, UCF, & South Florida, we're playing against big dogs.

I wasn't big on Scott's hire, but I think last year showed we need to give him time. Year 4 is the marker for me, as next year we'll finally have 2-3 years of his guys on the field, we'll lose 7-8 defensive starters and possibly Hawkins, Atwell, and forsure Fitz. It's gonna take time to re-stock this program top to bottom. And if it's not really good by that point, we can talk. But the reason we raised expectations is because of how well Scott did in year 1.

I know this is a dead horse but Bobby P hurt your program for a couple extra years with line recruiting and especially the rotating defensive coordinator door. 3-4, 4-3, multiple???
And to be real honest, those big fast, agile linemen are rare....and usually are slotted at Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia and Alabama.....every year. It takes luck and some kids that really blow up when they get proper coaching. Believe me, I know how it hurts to see a four star turn into a bust in some way.

I think your teams are going to be really exciting and play their heart out for Satterfield..hes earned that rep. But even if you get two all Americans on both lines, you almost have to wait until they are sophs to see what they have...then you build off those.

Cards are definitely headed the right direction, but it might be an up and down road for a couple years.

Reactions: Cardhorn
I know this is a dead horse but Bobby P hurt your program for a couple extra years with line recruiting and especially the rotating defensive coordinator door. 3-4, 4-3, multiple???
And to be real honest, those big fast, agile linemen are rare....and usually are slotted at Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia and Alabama.....every year. It takes luck and some kids that really blow up when they get proper coaching. Believe me, I know how it hurts to see a four star turn into a bust in some way.

I think your teams are going to be really exciting and play their heart out for Satterfield..hes earned that rep. But even if you get two all Americans on both lines, you almost have to wait until they are sophs to see what they have...then you build off those.

Cards are definitely headed the right direction, but it might be an up and down road for a couple years.
I think people don't understand the full context of Petrino's failure.

In 2018, we didn't lost those games because we didn't have all that talent, we lost because the team gave up on him. Combine that with the multiple d coordinators and then he had no recruiting class lined up, plus the bad recruiting of the lines. The position we were in was not going to be good long-term. The skill guys and guys like Becton & Greenard still on the roster were good enough, but it was the guys after. Then there were a bunch of transfers.

Scott had a 2 pronged rebuild, rebuild the confidence first and then next the depleted talent level of the roster. On the surface it's easy to say we should just get better and better, but just look at the roster he inherited and recruiting class of 2018 and you can know that it wasn't going to be an east first 3 years. I predicted a drop off in record in years 2-3 but then rebound big in years 4 and 5.

Rebuild, it’s Petrino’s fault, no talent, whatever. We play in the ACC. It’s not like we’ve been going up against giants, no disrespect intended. There isn’t a single promising thing about this team. The Tutu jet sweep, which is called frequently, has been figured out. Malik is not a good QB. Athletic, yes. Not a good QB. Maybe Satt found fools gold last year. And, I’ll admit this is petty of me. I don’t dig his hick schtick. We aren’t an ag school like Lexington U.
Well you did a great job of explaining why we’re not good. And you are under estimating the talent on the other teams.
Last year Scott had the advantage of selling these guys on momentum. There were a bunch of guys hungry to win games after being a punching bag the previous year. We played desperate. Guys like Malik, Hawkins, and Tutu were added in to a new offense for Scott and we caught some guys by surprise.

We were the underdogs that kept fighting. Boston College had a backup QB, we almost lost but won on a last second FG. We carried that momentum down to Wake Forrest. We got some lucky breaks ang got up big, but we did give up 59 points and thank goodness we got a break on that onside kick review. We held strong and upset UVA. NC State was just down and we were on the upswing and got a win. Cuse was a trainwreck and we had a strong win, really our only strong win of the year and we gave up 34 points. Then we have a month to prepare and take out a good Miss State team in a bowl game who was in turmoil.

But they were a team that went 2-10 the year before. The Clemson blowout was acceptable, but the signs were there when Miami and Kentucky blew us off the field. We had an awful defense without any talent. The fact that we went 8-5 is amazing. It required luck, but good coaching in those tight games got us the win.

But now in 2020, it's a bit different. Bobby didn't recruit the lines. We had a mass exodus of transfers and Scott didn't get a real recruiting class his first year. We didn't have a real offseason. So it's really the same team that just had no depth and lacked talent on defense or on the lines. We maxed out last year, but we easily could've been 4-8.

The ACC is better this year. There's more film on our guys, so Tutu/Malik/Hawkins aren't catching anyone off guard. The defense still doesn't have size or depth & that can't be changed in 1 recruiting class. We have expectations and we aren't the scrappy underdog anymore. Last year wasn't fools gold, because we had a good year, but I think we really played way above our heads along with having some great luck.

I don't think we're any worse than last season, but 10 ACC games and no breaks is tough. Miami is just more talented. Pitt is always bowl eligible. GT has been down, but they're in a recruiting paradise and can restock quicker than us, & Paul Johnson before them left them a good roster, unlike Bobby.

This isn't the AAC/Big East/CUSA anymore, we have to compete against 13 other competent programs that all have big money invested in football. No more worrying about WVU, Cincy, Rutgers, UConn, UCF, & South Florida, we're playing against big dogs.

I wasn't big on Scott's hire, but I think last year showed we need to give him time. Year 4 is the marker for me, as next year we'll finally have 2-3 years of his guys on the field, we'll lose 7-8 defensive starters and possibly Hawkins, Atwell, and forsure Fitz. It's gonna take time to re-stock this program top to bottom. And if it's not really good by that point, we can talk. But the reason we raised expectations is because of how well Scott did in year 1.
Not to mention Sat was playing with Granthams last recruiting class last year. We’re now playing with BVG and the other horrible DC recruits, which they didn’t recruit. So yes we’re just this bad.

Well you did a great job of explaining why we’re not good. And you are under estimating the talent on the other teams.

Not to mention Sat was playing with Granthams last recruiting class last year. We’re now playing with BVG and the other horrible DC recruits, which they didn’t recruit. So yes we’re just this bad.

There are a few holdouts from the Grantham era still playing as RS SR's. The defensive starters are all Juniors and Seniors with the exception of Clark at FS. He's a transfer, as is Diaby, a highly sought after JUCO who is now a Junior. The rest were parts of the 29th ranked class in 2017, and the 31st ranked class in 2018. My point is, there is talent. A few of these guys will have NFL opportunities. They just aren't getting coached right.

There are a few holdouts from the Grantham era still playing as RS SR's. The defensive starters are all Juniors and Seniors with the exception of Clark at FS. He's a transfer, as is Diaby, a highly sought after JUCO who is now a Junior. The rest were parts of the 29th ranked class in 2017, and the 31st ranked class in 2018. My point is, there is talent. A few of these guys will have NFL opportunities. They just aren't getting coached right.

I don’t believe any of the juniors or seniors on this defense will have NFL opportunities except for maybe Etheridge. I think the problem for him is that his coverage skills are lacking. The way the NFL is with TEs and RBs catching a lot of passes, coverage skills are important.

I don’t believe any of the juniors or seniors on this defense will have NFL opportunities except for maybe Etheridge. I think the problem for him is that his coverage skills are lacking. The way the NFL is with TEs and RBs catching a lot of passes, coverage skills are important.

By opportunities, I mean, they will have tryouts, perhaps, even make a practice squad. You can't convince me there isn't talent on that side of the ball. Is it deep talent? TBD.

Well I would have to say your in the minority. First those classes you mention were ranked 29th and 31st. And lots of factors come into play. Most of what gave us that high ranking came from the skilled positions. If you breakout the D players you’ll find the true story. I guess they forgot to coach between December and August how to coach. Because Bobby didn’t have them playing anywhere as good as they were playing last year, so someone coached them last year. Most people in the know will tell you that our D is small and slow. We have a few exceptions but not enough to overcome our short comings. And if I’m not mistaken Clark missed the last game and maybe the Pitt game too, which hurt.

Funny a lot of what you are saying is exactly what I bet Clemson fans were saying about Dabo in his first several years, some even wanted him gone. Same can be said about coach K and Beamer. All turned out to be very successful. But they were given time. Scott and his staff took a couple years at App St I think I’ll give him time to build his roster. This isn’t BB where you can turn it around in one or two seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayoman
Well I would have to say your in the minority. First those classes you mention were ranked 29th and 31st. And lots of factors come into play. Most of what gave us that high ranking came from the skilled positions. If you breakout the D players you’ll find the true story. I guess they forgot to coach between December and August how to coach. Because Bobby didn’t have them playing anywhere as good as they were playing last year, so someone coached them last year. Most people in the know will tell you that our D is small and slow. We have a few exceptions but not enough to overcome our short comings. And if I’m not mistaken Clark missed the last game and maybe the Pitt game too, which hurt.

Funny a lot of what you are saying is exactly what I bet Clemson fans were saying about Dabo in his first several years, some even wanted him gone. Same can be said about coach K and Beamer. All turned out to be very successful. But they were given time. Scott and his staff took a couple years at App St I think I’ll give him time to build his roster. This isn’t BB where you can turn it around in one or two seasons.
What minority would that be, that I’m a believer we have talent? The majority think we don’t? Depth is one thing, I’ll grant you that. When I look at the depth chart, and see most of the starters are from really good classes, they had solid offer sheets, and the fact Satt isn’t only not running them off or diminishing their playing time, but he’s starting them, tells me he thinks they’re pretty good, too. The poor tackling, missed assignments, the weak 3-4 scheme, that’s all coaching.

...Not to mention Sat was playing with Granthams last recruiting class last year. We’re now playing with BVG and the other horrible DC recruits, which they didn’t recruit. So yes we’re just this bad. ...
Last year's defense was statistically one of the worst in the country.

I can't link that to recruits brought in by Grantham vs Sirmon/BVG...

Last edited:
What minority would that be, that I’m a believer we have talent? The majority think we don’t? Depth is one thing, I’ll grant you that. When I look at the depth chart, and see most of the starters are from really good classes, they had solid offer sheets, and the fact Satt isn’t only not running them off or diminishing their playing time, but he’s starting them, tells me he thinks they’re pretty good, too. The poor tackling, missed assignments, the weak 3-4 scheme, that’s all coaching.

Or lack of player execution of what they have been coached to do....or a combination of both. Or maybe, just maybe, the opponents we played were just more talented and executed better....and were the better team that game day.

Oh well. Lack of success breeds discontent and fans expectations take a beating too.

CSS will take his lumps now but will show up to compete....now hope the players do the same.

All I ask for is best effort and toughness....and let the chips fall where they may. Win or lose....I will still root this team on through thick and thin.

Or lack of player execution of what they have been coached to do....or a combination of both. Or maybe, just maybe, the opponents we played were just more talented and executed better....and were the better team that game day.

Oh well. Lack of success breeds discontent and fans expectations take a beating too.

CSS will take his lumps now but will show up to compete....now hope the players do the same.

All I ask for is best effort and toughness....and let the chips fall where they may. Win or lose....I will still root this team on through thick and thin.
So, you’re pro coaching staff, I’m pro players. Just remember, the players didn’t make the call on the penalty that would have made it 4th down inside Ga Tech’s 10 yard line. Nope, Satt gave Tech another down and the very next play was a Yellow Jacket TD. That was not good.

I, too, will be cheering on this team, but I am able to do so while recognizing the coaching staff has issues. Look for Satt to make changes at season’s end, should the ugly losses continue to pile up.

So, you’re pro coaching staff, I’m pro players. Just remember, the players didn’t make the call on the penalty that would have made it 4th down inside Ga Tech’s 10 yard line. Nope, Satt gave Tech another down and the very next play was a Yellow Jacket TD. That was not good.

I, too, will be cheering on this team, but I am able to do so while recognizing the coaching staff has issues. Look for Satt to make changes at season’s end, should the ugly losses continue to pile up.

For me it is still too early to tell one way or the other whether it is on the coaches or on the players. Maybe at the end of this year the data will be much clearer to discern the problems and what the fix will need to be.

One and a half years is not enough time to wash off the stench that the Petrino Era left behind. Not sure how long it will take....but it will not happen overnight for sure. And maybe never....just don't know.

Reactions: zipp
For me it is still too early to tell one way or the other whether it is on the coaches or on the players...
This. And it's amazing how few people here recognize we're in that position...

ADVERTISEMENT