ADVERTISEMENT

LoL at the Lamar Haters.

KerryRhodes

15000+
Dec 15, 2007
Well we've got our 2017 talking points that will be brought every game along with that stupid
'Weak' Forest BS.

Watson deserved to win the Heisman. o_O
Yeah the idiot media only wants the last 4 games to count, along with a Player in the playoffs
getting the trophy.

I bet, despite his dismal performance, Jalen Hurts will be preseason favorite to win
the Heisman next year. All because he plays for Bama and was in the Title game.

The Heisman is awarded to the BEST OVERALL PLAYER of the REGULAR SEASON.
They want Watson to have it so bad, create the post season Heisman. Name it the "Watson"
and give it to a player who was 2nd All ACC QB o_O

The media blows.

Then he NEEDS to LEARN how to be a PASSING QB as well!!!

:cool:
I agree. Like the one who threw for over 30 touchdowns last year. This coming year, he needs to throw for over 40, and add 20 more on the ground. If he does that, he'll be a back to back Heisman winner.

Reactions: Louisvillian
Meh, the days of winning the heisman twice are over. Someone said (I can't remember who) that the heisman now always goes to the young player with the phenomenal break out season. I completely agree with that.

Peyton Manning never won a heisman

Tebow won it in his soph. year. Didn't win it again.

The list could go on and on..........

Reactions: American Male
Well we've got our 2017 talking points that will be brought every game ...

Watson deserved to win the Heisman. o_O Yeah the idiot media only wants the last 4 games to count, along with a Player in the playoffs getting the trophy.

They want Watson to have it so bad, create the post season Heisman. Name it the "Watson"

Excuse me ... Watson's regular season stats: 3700 yards and 30 TDs passing. Wins head to head against FSU and Deondre Francois, UNC and Mitch Trubisky, Virginia Tech and Jerod Evans, Louisville and Lamar Jackson, and I will even include South Carolina and Jake Bentley, as the Gamecocks were a very hot team down the stretch (largely because of the play of Bentley) as well as over Sugar Bowl team Auburn. No other player in the country had a resume like that. It wasn't even close. Even the game that Clemson LOST was a shootout with Watson having 580 passing yards. Meaning that he didn't suffer the types of embarrassing losses to the likes of Houston and Kentucky that Jackson did. Watson actually had a better year this season than last season! It is just that Clemson decided that he would run the ball less in order to keep him healthy, because Watson was injury-prone his first 2 seasons. (That was why they lost the Pitt game: Watson had 580 passing yards but only 8 rushing yards and threw 3 INTs as a result).

Lamar Jackson put up the best passing/rushing stats of the regular season. (Well actually, not really. Quinton Flowers of USF did - and for an 11-2 team at that - but just didn't get the hype due to playing in the AAC.) But Watson was the better player, as he proved during the head to head matchup with Jackson. In fact, Watson was a better player LAST YEAR than Jackson was this year.

The decision to give Jackson the Heisman was unprecedented. They gave the Heisman to a guy who lost head to head against another candidate with similar stats, AND who played in the same conference and lost the conference championship to that guy, who also put his team in position to play for the national title. It was nothing like Tim Tebow in 2007, who didn't play another Heisman candidate and was never in contention for anything. Now you can certainly argue that Clemson had a better team around Watson ... except that Clemson's defense wasn't that great. Even against Alabama they gave up 31 points! You can hold Watson's turnovers against him - most did, and that was likely why Watson didn't win the Heisman - but Jackson had a ton of turnovers in the games that he lost also. But goodness ... Peyton Manning never won the Heisman because he couldn't beat Danny Wuerffel at Florida. Watson was undefeated against Jackson and Louisville and still lost. Doesn't make any sense. Jackson won because early in the season ESPN hyped him as "the next Michael Vick." Except that ... Vick was MUCH FASTER, had a much stronger arm, and did not play in a stat-friendly spread offense. (Virginia Tech's offense wasn't pro-style, but it was a traditional dropback I-formation 2-back scheme with some option mixed in.) Put Vick in Louisville's system and the guy rewrites the NCAA record books.

Jackson has the Heisman, but there isn't anyone who watched Jackson against his 4 most talented foes this season and watched Watson against his 4 most talented foes (whether regular season or postseason) who would pick Jackson over Watson. (And yes, that does include the Louisville-Clemson matchup.) Bottom line: Watson was a 5 star recruit, Jackson was a 4 star recruit, and it was for very valid reasons. I look forward to seeing the Watson-Jackson battles in the NFL - hopefully they will be drafted by teams in the same NFL division or at least are in the same conference so they can play regularly - but on the college level, Watson was the better player with the better career and it wasn't close. Jackson had better (rushing) stats, but stats aren't everything. Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees consistently have/had better stats than Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger. To tell the truth, Matt Ryan and Matt Stafford have better stats than Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger! And keeping the comparison within dual threat QBs, Cam Newton generally has better stats than Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott. Yet which one would you rather have? Exactly.

Reactions: genowe
I agree. Like the one who threw for over 30 touchdowns last year. This coming year, he needs to throw for over 40, and add 20 more on the ground. If he does that, he'll be a back to back Heisman winner.

He just needs to be the QB he was in the first four games this year, for 12 games next year, and he's a lock.

Take what they give.

Remember that the Read Option is an "option", not a QB keeper.

HOLD ON TO THE BALL.

Bac-2-bac would be awesome in more ways than one!

If it becomes the LJ show again he's much easier to defend according to Houston, uk, LSU, and for three quarters WF. And to a degree, Duke and UVA.

Well we've got our 2017 talking points that will be brought every game along with that stupid
'Weak' Forest BS.

Watson deserved to win the Heisman. o_O
Yeah the idiot media only wants the last 4 games to count, along with a Player in the playoffs
getting the trophy.

I bet, despite his dismal performance, Jalen Hurts will be preseason favorite to win
the Heisman next year. All because he plays for Bama and was in the Title game.

The media blows.

If we don't shit the bed against AAC Houston (whose coach was unfocused & out looking for a new job) and the Doormat Cayuts (who got spanked like a lonely MILF by GA Tech), this doesn't happen. Be objective and this is pretty clear.

Last edited:
If we don't shit the bed against AAC Houston (whose coach was unfocused & out looking for a new job) and the Doormat Cayuts (who got spanked like a lonely MILF by GA Tech), this doesn't happen. Be objective and this is pretty clear.
Morgan, I like a lot of what you say, but I gotta ask....just how do we shit the bed against an unfocused coach and a doormat? What kind of leadership, coaching, or what have you allows this to happen TWICE?

Nobody was sat down, or made an example of. Just a wayward, lost, oh-woe-is-me look on the sideline of both games.

I think we had (hopefully HAD is the right word) a problem bigger than the OL.

This just in:

Anthony Chiusano | NCAA.com
Last Updated - Dec 11, 2016 19:19 EST
Contact |Archive |RSS
Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson was the most dynamic college football player from start to finish in 2016, and he was rewarded with the 82nd Heisman Trophy on Saturday night to prove it.

usatsi_9738732.jpg

Excuse me ... Watson's regular season stats: 3700 yards and 30 TDs passing. Wins head to head against FSU and Deondre Francois, UNC and Mitch Trubisky, Virginia Tech and Jerod Evans, Louisville and Lamar Jackson, and I will even include South Carolina and Jake Bentley, as the Gamecocks were a very hot team down the stretch (largely because of the play of Bentley) as well as over Sugar Bowl team Auburn. No other player in the country had a resume like that. It wasn't even close. Even the game that Clemson LOST was a shootout with Watson having 580 passing yards. Meaning that he didn't suffer the types of embarrassing losses to the likes of Houston and Kentucky that Jackson did. Watson actually had a better year this season than last season! It is just that Clemson decided that he would run the ball less in order to keep him healthy, because Watson was injury-prone his first 2 seasons. (That was why they lost the Pitt game: Watson had 580 passing yards but only 8 rushing yards and threw 3 INTs as a result).

Lamar Jackson put up the best passing/rushing stats of the regular season. (Well actually, not really. Quinton Flowers of USF did - and for an 11-2 team at that - but just didn't get the hype due to playing in the AAC.) But Watson was the better player, as he proved during the head to head matchup with Jackson. In fact, Watson was a better player LAST YEAR than Jackson was this year.

The decision to give Jackson the Heisman was unprecedented. They gave the Heisman to a guy who lost head to head against another candidate with similar stats, AND who played in the same conference and lost the conference championship to that guy, who also put his team in position to play for the national title. It was nothing like Tim Tebow in 2007, who didn't play another Heisman candidate and was never in contention for anything. Now you can certainly argue that Clemson had a better team around Watson ... except that Clemson's defense wasn't that great. Even against Alabama they gave up 31 points! You can hold Watson's turnovers against him - most did, and that was likely why Watson didn't win the Heisman - but Jackson had a ton of turnovers in the games that he lost also. But goodness ... Peyton Manning never won the Heisman because he couldn't beat Danny Wuerffel at Florida. Watson was undefeated against Jackson and Louisville and still lost. Doesn't make any sense. Jackson won because early in the season ESPN hyped him as "the next Michael Vick." Except that ... Vick was MUCH FASTER, had a much stronger arm, and did not play in a stat-friendly spread offense. (Virginia Tech's offense wasn't pro-style, but it was a traditional dropback I-formation 2-back scheme with some option mixed in.) Put Vick in Louisville's system and the guy rewrites the NCAA record books.

Jackson has the Heisman, but there isn't anyone who watched Jackson against his 4 most talented foes this season and watched Watson against his 4 most talented foes (whether regular season or postseason) who would pick Jackson over Watson. (And yes, that does include the Louisville-Clemson matchup.) Bottom line: Watson was a 5 star recruit, Jackson was a 4 star recruit, and it was for very valid reasons. I look forward to seeing the Watson-Jackson battles in the NFL - hopefully they will be drafted by teams in the same NFL division or at least are in the same conference so they can play regularly - but on the college level, Watson was the better player with the better career and it wasn't close. Jackson had better (rushing) stats, but stats aren't everything. Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees consistently have/had better stats than Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger. To tell the truth, Matt Ryan and Matt Stafford have better stats than Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger! And keeping the comparison within dual threat QBs, Cam Newton generally has better stats than Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott. Yet which one would you rather have? Exactly.

9db.gif

Morgan, I like a lot of what you say, but I gotta ask....just how do we shit the bed against an unfocused coach and a doormat? What kind of leadership, coaching, or what have you allows this to happen TWICE?

Nobody was sat down, or made an example of. Just a wayward, lost, oh-woe-is-me look on the sideline of both games.

I think we had (hopefully HAD is the right word) a problem bigger than the OL.

Right on and okay. I think you & I are having a bit of a disconnect in what I'm saying. Two things:

1) My post above (#9 of this thread) addresses why some media are now saying that Watson should be the Heisman instead of 2016HWLJ. When you end the season on a 3 game skid, all 3 bad losses, people are going to second guess it when #2 who goes on to win a CFP title.

2) Regarding your point above: My personal opinion is the team/staff handled the CFP expectation very poorly and the season lost its purpose with the Clemson loss. You can draw a line after that loss and see this. That is on the coaching staff. 2017 starts the slate clean and I think the staff learned from this. We'll see.

Meh, the days of winning the heisman twice are over. Someone said (I can't remember who) that the heisman now always goes to the young player with the phenomenal break out season. I completely agree with that.

Peyton Manning never won a heisman

Tebow won it in his soph. year. Didn't win it again.

The list could go on and on..........
Manning got screwed his senior year, but I understand what you are saying.

Watch the improvement Lamar made as a passer from his freshman year instead of being a boring dimwit. Then go back and watch the replay of the Louisville-Clemson game from this year.

Lamar, a Sophomore, starting only the 9th game of his college career played toe to toe with Watson, a seasoned Junior playing at home in front of 80,000 friendly fans. Watson also had the luxury of playing behind a superior offensive line instead of a sieve like Lamar had in front of him.

Another offseason with Petrino and imagine now Lamar Jackson as a Junior playing behind a line like Clemson's 2016 and you might then get a different picture.

I like Watson but people like you are the same ones like the media dorks (and some Louisville fans that said Lamar was just not a D1 quarterback during his Freshman season. Then he wins the Heisman Trophy the next year.

Imagine what you will "know" tomorrow. :confused:

Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees consistently have/had better stats than Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger. To tell the truth, Matt Ryan and Matt Stafford have better stats than Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger!

And Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson and Jeff Hostetler have more Super Bowl Rings than Dan Marino, so what's your point? I guess you'd take one of those 3 over Marino. By the way, there are lots of knowledgeable people that would choose Rodgers and Manning in his prime over Rothlisberger.

Also, your statement that the reason Lamar won the Heisman is because "ESPN started comparing him to Michael Vick" might be the dumbest single comment ever made on this board. Yikes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT