ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Talk About The Defense This Past Season

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
(I don't know about you all but I'm already tired of hearing about all the scandal crap. I just want it to be over so I'll talk about something else for right now.)

This year's UofL defense, while pretty good, never really seemed to reach the level we had grown accustomed to over the last several years. What do you think was the main cause of this: youth, personnel, inexperience, not enough time to learn the system, etc?

Was the fact that we didn't have "mosquito" quick guards like Siva and Russ the main cause of this or something else entirely? Share your thoughts.

Shadow,

I think you answered the question yourself. We knew coming in that we going to need offense. By getting 5th year seniors, I think CRP thought that they could pick up on his defensive schemes but as we know the matchup zone is difficult and takes more than 1 year to master. Coupled that with our youth and losing our most experience player Mathiang, who was literally a coach on the floor hurt us on defense. Snider worked more on improving his shot and getting to the rim than he did working on D. But I think everyone thought we would have great rim protectors with mango, onuaku, Mahmoud etc.

Reactions: shadow force
I'm hoping with more experience in Pitino's system under their belts that Snider, Mitchell, Adel, and any returning guys can get the knack of that lock down match up zone. It can be a devastating weapon when employed by experienced guys for CRP. At the very least we got to see, at least at some points in the season, what a Pitino team looks like when the offense is ahead of the defense. I think we realize how important getting that defense up to CRP level really is.

Last edited:
Take it for what it's worth,but this group never digested the Cardinal philosophy that you have to be able to get stops consistently.They were an offensive minded group.CP was right when he said these guys get down when their shots ain't fallin.It's not UofL basketball.Share the ball and defend,it's that easy.

Man to man defense I think sharpens the senses about guarding people.Our guards have to contain the dribble for this to work.It was the main reason there was too much zone,imo.

You know,I'm all for deflections and whatnot,but in half court,I'd prefer to see less taking chances on steals and more containment.

Reactions: shadow force
Take it for what it's worth,but this group never digested the Cardinal philosophy that you have to be able to get stops consistently.They were an offensive minded group.CP was right when he said these guys get down when their shots ain't fallin.It's not UofL basketball.Share the ball and defend,it's that easy.

Man to man defense I think sharpens the senses about guarding people.Our guards have to contain the dribble for this to work.It was the main reason there was too much zone,imo.

You know,I'm all for deflections and whatnot,but in half court,I'd prefer to see less taking chances on steals and more containment.

Excellent points, especially about some guys getting down when their shots weren't falling. You have to shrug that off, and yes that can be difficult, and get back on defense like your life depends on it. There was a bit too much hero ball as well at times though I'm not going to fault Lee and Lewis doing that in the last few games of their career. However it did happen earlier in the season as well.

The match-up zone was never like the "5 defenders on a string" cohesion we saw in the past. I'm just hoping it is a matter of lack of experience and understanding rather than due to personnel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT