ADVERTISEMENT

Let me ‘splain something to the slappies…

Maybe Houston would be a good rival for you. They played you well, it was an exciting game. They lost to unranked Memphis today after whipping UL and looking like a world beater. They'd probably like a series with you. Why would anyone else want to play you? What would they have to gain? If a big time team beats you, they were supposed to. If they lose to you, your football brand is not well known enough nationally that it wouldn't look like a bad loss (with the exception of the Lamar Jackson years.) Are you gonna have a freak athlete like him every year? If so, you might find a taker. But seriously, who do you think would want to play you as a RIVAL GAME and why? Maybe Indiana would be a good border rival. They've got a good team this year.
Sounds like you know why it's hard to get up for a game like yesterday's.

As your coach calls it..."Super Bowl".

LPT Football: Super Bowl XXIX Champs...

I think there's some irony in hearing opinions about how some U of L fans feel about the series when UK originally wanted the game moved, then canceled the IU series, canceled the Western Kentucky series, and their basketball coach refuses to play in Bloomington ever again. There must be some truth in trying to create win-win situations in out of conference because Kentucky's athletic department sets the standard for getting out of established series'. I don't really blame them, no one wants to be someone else's marquee win with nothing to gain from it, but lets not act as if they don't look at that too.

For the record, I think there's only a handful of legitimate reasons to schedule teams out of conference. You need 'payday' games to fill the home schedule, to increase your strength of schedule if you're good, to weaken it if you're bad to make a bowl, or to play in an area where your recruiting foothold is. I don't think the Purdue game next year, especially, does any of that either. Or the IU games down the road, but maybe by that juncture they're competitive, who knows.

Reactions: zipp
We compete in recruiting with one another in the big sports that's not baseless. Marcus Teague? Derek Willis? Trey Lyle's? Chane B?

In football the two have flipped players from each other a number of times.

Both fight hard for the Trinity kids to name a few, Bonnafon, Hatcher.

What is actually baseless is the thread. The series isn't going away so whenever you want to come back to reality we'll be here for you.
Heard the same predictions about the never-tear-it-down arena. Now we hear talk of a new arena...what's wrong with this one?

You're living in the past on those 5-star kids. Name me a recent kid Pitino wanted that went to LPT...

And name me the last football kid from Louisville that we wanted who went to LPT. You gotta go back four years? That's pretty infrequent to justify a series.

You need to question where you are when you have slappies agreeing with you. How about that rivalry game today?

LPT Football: Don't listen to him, hop...

UK owns the series 15-14. As a matter of fact, UL has NEVER led the series. There is nothing remotely comparable about the UT and UL series.

First of all, congrats on your win today. Your QB played one hell of a game and your coaching staff brought a game plan that our staff apparently could not adjust to. And you did this on the road. I mean all of this sincerely and I won't take away from your win today at all.

To address your post directly - child please. Yes, 15-14. I don't know what the modern series is, but I believe it is very favorable. Use "the google" and figure it out. As far as the UT series, you are right - UT has been smacking that ass harder than Charlie has been smacking local Louisville MILF ass. It's impressive really. But it's still impressive how Louisville has dominated in football in the modern series, especially given your SEC support system and the fact that Louisville was playing in a *&()*&(*&)*&( minor league baseball stadium until 18 years ago, You could sell "Play bama! Play TN! Play GA!" while we were selling "Play in our ****ing minor league baseball stadium." In spite of that, the modern series is favorable to us, and we've won 5 of the last 6. Enjoy it. You guys were wanting to farrrrr Stoops a week ago after you sucked against Austin "Let's Go" Peay a week ago, so let's not crown you as kings of the state just yet.

Reactions: Deeva
...For the record, I think there's only a handful of legitimate reasons to schedule teams out of conference. You need 'payday' games to fill the home schedule, to increase your strength of schedule if you're good, to weaken it if you're bad to make a bowl, or to play in an area where your recruiting foothold is. I don't think the Purdue game next year, especially, does any of that either. Or the IU games down the road, but maybe by that juncture they're competitive, who knows.
This is exactly right, and I couldn't have summarized it better myself.

Being afraid to challenge conventional thinking and saying the way it is benefits no one. And doing otherwise makes you look a helluva lot smarter later. (Although you may have to remind people...)

LPT Football: Where do we fit in?...

Reactions: Deeva
Hell, let's be honest... This is the best LPT football year without cheating or K-rag in the picture since even I was alive.

And what's the likelihood a blind squirrel finds a 2nd acorn?

LPT Football: That's a long damn time...

Your team hasn't finished in the top 25 since 1984. I honestly don't even know of a Power 5 team with that kind of streak, or even most non Power 5 team with that kind of streak. You just ended the third longest bowl-less streak in the Power 5, still hold the longest losing streak to a single team in college football, and had held the top two at the same time.

This is your first win in the entire series outside of the very first game over the modern series that wasn't due to Ron Cooper or Steve Kragthorpe. UK was ready to build a statue for the last guy who won it, and he still couldn't get a team to finish in the top 25.

Win or lose, I would never trade spots with your team. You have to go back to Bear Bryant to even be talked about as a relevant team, at least U of L has been on the radar and will likely end and start next year in the top 25 again. Something that hasn't happened for you since Michael Jordan was an NBA rookie.
And yet we beat you and the best player you've had since Johnny U. We are so bad, but on your best year, we beat you. I don't get it. But you know what, in all seriousness, I know your program has been excellent compared to ours. I just looked up your results since 1984 and you have been in the top 25 9 times with some great bowl wins over some huge programs. Congrats on a great season. I still don't know who Zip wants to be your rival. I hope we can make it more competitive someday. Blessings.

Zipp, if I make it home to Louisville for a game next year, I wanna drink a beer with you. Can this happen, my friend?
Absolutely, although mine will have to be of the 'harder' variety.

Maybe we can make it a group with Jack, gocards, 233, and/or WC. Unless you don't like those guys or you just wanna kick my a$$... :D

First of all, congrats on your win today. Your QB played one hell of a game and your coaching staff brought a game plan that our staff apparently could not adjust to. And you did this on the road. I mean all of this sincerely and I won't take away from your win today at all.

To address your post directly - child please. Yes, 15-14. I don't know what the modern series is, but I believe it is very favorable. Use "the google" and figure it out. As far as the UT series, you are right - UT has been smacking that ass harder than Charlie has been smacking local Louisville MILF ass. It's impressive really. But it's still impressive how Louisville has dominated in football in the modern series, especially given your SEC support system and the fact that Louisville was playing in a *&()*&(*&)*&( minor league baseball stadium until 18 years ago, You could sell "Play bama! Play TN! Play GA!" while we were selling "Play in our ****ing minor league baseball stadium." In spite of that, the modern series is favorable to us, and we've won 5 of the last 6. Enjoy it. You guys were wanting to farrrrr Stoops a week ago after you sucked against Austin "Let's Go" Peay a week ago, so let's not crown you as kings of the state just yet.
5 of the last 6...also works out to be 5 of the last 10. Domination

Zipp, you make yourself and the UL fan base look silly with your ramblings.
Don't hate because U of L blew a shot at a NC a shot at the FF and the game to UK and the Heisman trophy all in the last 10 days.
The sun will come out tomorrow and Lamar will still have butter fingers UK will still have triumphed after being 30 pt dogs in your backyard and Cal and Kentucky will still be #1 in the USA in basketball and U of L will still have a loss to mighty Baylor in basketball.
Zipp, you make yourself and the UL fan base look silly with your ramblings.
Don't hate because U of L blew a shot at a NC a shot at the FF and the game to UK and the Heisman trophy all in the last 10 days.
The sun will come out tomorrow and Lamar will still have butter fingers UK will still have triumphed after being 30 pt dogs in your backyard and Cal and Kentucky will still be #1 in the USA in basketball and U of L will still have a loss to mighty Baylor in basketball.
You must know a lot about blowing championships since cal has been at UK lol all those NBA players and only one ship. BTW don't act like you wouldn't love to have Jackson on your team because you know you'll never have a player close to as good as he is. Now get back to the cat piss board before you hurt yourself.

Heard the same predictions about the never-tear-it-down arena. Now we hear talk of a new arena...what's wrong with this one?

You're living in the past on those 5-star kids. Name me a recent kid Pitino wanted that went to LPT...

And name me the last football kid from Louisville that we wanted who went to LPT. You gotta go back four years? That's pretty infrequent to justify a series.

You need to question where you are when you have slappies agreeing with you. How about that rivalry game today?

They offered six of our twenty-two 2017 football verbal commits. I'm sure Louisville offered some of the verbal commits they have.

Great football players from our city come around about once every three years, and when they do...Both programs go after them hard.

I'm not measuring my posts based on who agrees. What are the chances we drop them in all sports? I give it about a 1% chance. How about you?

UK outplayed us and wanted it more. It's just a a football game. Move on and try to get them next year. We are still 9-3 in a P5 conference with a possible Heisman trophy winner. About 7 years ago we couldn't stop Middle Tennessee and Rutgers beat us by 70.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
Were in the same State. They should play.

Cards won 5 out of the last 6, so loing has been few and far between.

Give them credit for the home and home, that no one else will give the Cards. Well
that and threat from State legislation.

It hurts them wayyyy more to lose to the Cards. Theyre from the mighty SEC.
Cats won 4 in a row before that so it's 5 out of the last 10. See how that works.

Reactions: CatPhight

lPT Football: Don't listen to him, hop...

Not meaning to be disrespectful, but with that statement you've proven that you don't follow recruiting like you think you do. There's been several. Hatcher, Tubman (royally screwed by UK and I'm sure regrets it), Walker plus several other kids from Louisville on their roster and others in state that we were going head to head for and UK got them.

Plus there are players in other states (in the south) that are recruited hard by both schools. We basically have the same recruiting footprint that UK does with the exception of Ohio. UK spends a lot more time and energy there than we do.

UK has two 5 star kids from the state on Ky on their roster. We have none. (actually the ONLY 5 star on our roster this year was Josh Harvey Clemons who transferred in from UGA) Of the last four 5 stars that the state has produced, two went to UK and two went to Bama. Two of those guys were OL, a position that we SORELY need help at. One went to UK, the other is verbaled to Bama,, UK was on his short list, and he never gave us a sniff.

UK outrecruits us in this state and pulls some of the best players out of Jefferson county every year. That is fact my friend.

"Name me a recent kid Pitino wanted that went to LPT..." Let's be honest. The 5* that Pitino recruits are not the 5* Calipari recruits. Pitino looks for kids that will stay a couple of years. The kids that Cal recruits are good enough to start.....Big difference. Look at the King kid......he is coming off the bench. I bet Cal hardly even recruited King.

"Name me a recent kid Pitino wanted that went to LPT..." Let's be honest. The 5* that Pitino recruits are not the 5* Calipari recruits. Pitino looks for kids that will stay a couple of years. The kids that Cal recruits are good enough to start.....Big difference. Look at the King kid......he is coming off the bench. I bet Cal hardly even recruited King.

Coach Pitino wanted Lyles and Fox.
Gorgui Dieng wasnt a 5 star and he starts in the NBA
Can Caliperi coach up a non 5 star to start in the NBA? Of course not.

This is football board. I'm talking about football only.

They offered six of our twenty-two 2017 football verbal commits. I'm sure Louisville offered some of the verbal commits they have.

Great football players from our city come around about once every three years, and when they do...Both programs go after them hard.

I'm not measuring my posts based on who agrees. What are the chances we drop them in all sports? I give it about a 1% chance. How about you?
Of course, half the world offers the better players. That doesn't mean we're competing with slappies. More likely we're really competing with schools like Bama and Florida.

I don't think U of L really looks at LPT as serious competition in Jefferson County for recruits. In the rest of the State, you pluck the good ones when you can, but there aren't that many. And increasingly, kids from out in the State generally wanna come to Louisville.

The chances of dropping them are growing. I hear people raise these same questions about regional schools, and it's one of the few elements of Jurich's thinking that may be out-of-date. Remember, we've played Western two more times than LPT in the past, and Cincinnati 24 more times. Texas used to play A&M, and Nebraska played Oklahoma in football. Those were pretty good series...

Not meaning to be disrespectful, but with that statement you've proven that you don't follow recruiting like you think you do. There's been several. Hatcher, Tubman (royally screwed by UK and I'm sure regrets it), Walker plus several other kids from Louisville on their roster and others in state that we were going head to head for and UK got them.

Plus there are players in other states (in the south) that are recruited hard by both schools. We basically have the same recruiting footprint that UK does with the exception of Ohio. UK spends a lot more time and energy there than we do.

UK has two 5 star kids from the state on Ky on their roster. We have none. (actually the ONLY 5 star on our roster this year was Josh Harvey Clemons who transferred in from UGA) Of the last four 5 stars that the state has produced, two went to UK and two went to Bama. Two of those guys were OL, a position that we SORELY need help at. One went to UK, the other is verbaled to Bama,, UK was on his short list, and he never gave us a sniff.

UK outrecruits us in this state and pulls some of the best players out of Jefferson county every year. That is fact my friend.
Well, let me say this even if my recruiting knowledge is a little short (I don't follow the insanity of 18-year olds)...

Tell me the last few Kentucky kids who played at either school that I really wanted in the red-and-black, and if they went to LPT, that we really missed. That will tell me how important Kentucky high school football recruiting is before I dig deeper into the numbers. Hatcher, Tubman, Quick...those guys ain't moving the needle, esp. in hindsight.

We're all the time deadpanning KY kids out in the State who go to LPT. The last can't-live-without Kentucky kid I recall that we had was Devante Parker. If these kids are nonexistent or few and far between, we're better off scheduling a team in a real recruiting hotbed like central Florida...

I don't disagree, and you're making my point. We don't need LPT on the schedule because we recruit the same players. That's more mythology and rationalization than reality.

LPT Football: You can play in the SEC...

Coach Pitino wanted Lyles and Fox...
Did Pitino really have a shot at either guy? I don't think so. They would have been the highest ranked recruits Pitino landed in nearly a decade. Not exactly the profile of our current roster.

Sometimes this recruiting info is more fantasy than reality...

Reactions: awf
My question is who do we get to replace them? If you drop them from the schedule and add some no name team what exactly are you gaining? It is an in-state school so there is going to be a rivalry whether you like it or not. I say play the game. It is good for two passionate fan bases to get at each other.

My question is who do we get to replace them? If you drop them from the schedule and add some no name team what exactly are you gaining? It is an in-state school so there is going to be a rivalry whether you like it or not. I say play the game. It is good for two passionate fan bases to get at each other.
Nebraska
Texas
Texas A&M
Miami
Tennessee

And there are others... Those are five pretty historic football programs lacking a "rival" (or a respectable one) on the final weekend each season. Hell, we didn't have one ourselves three years ago.

Too many of our fans act like "what are we gonna do?" at the mere mention of dropping LPT in football. Is it ridiculous to suggest we may survive and prosper like the other schools above have?

You simply find a replacement. And there are only fifty or so better football teams to play that weekend than LPT.

LPT Football: And we can lock in Austin's Pee...

ADVERTISEMENT