ADVERTISEMENT

Let me ‘splain something to the slappies…

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
…who have crawled outta their holes tonite and stumbled in. There’s nothing you can say or do to make me feel bad about today’s result. As I’ve already commented, it largely vindicates me on the wisdom of keeping you on the schedule now that U of L fans are experiencing that again firsthand. Any U of L fan who wants (or wanted) to play LPT is getting a nice dose of the downside tonite. And I’ll bet it’s a lot more extreme than they remember the upside to be.

My remarks are hardly disingenuous and coincidental with today's game result; U of L fans know I've been on this crusade for awhile, and it will continue. What slappies confuse as my disdain for you and your school is not much affected by the on-the-field/court results. Indeed, the results are almost irrelevant. When I see LPT on one of our schedules, it doesn’t evoke fear or joy or hatred or any other basic emotion, most of which are far too intense to describe my attitude. You just cause me to ask “why?”

When LPT wasn’t on the schedule, U of L fans still alive today wanted you on it. We needed you there. Our athletic programs were developing, and we needed recognition and schedule strength and the opportunity to compete with a big(ger) program. From the LPT perspective, that’s exactly why we weren’t on your schedule. Uncle Adolph and his kind knew that not scheduling U of L slowed our progress if it didn’t necessarily stop it. Basketball was the principal concern because LPT is and always will be a basketball school. Other sports didn’t matter, and we were way behind in football at one time, maybe more so than any other sport.

That was a couple generations ago, and things are vastly different today. In the ACC, Louisville has a platform that is the equal of the SEC, all sports considered. We have a national brand, and we dominate this area of Kentucky and Indiana. Our athletics revenues are close to LPT’s, and as Doc Ramsey used to say, our “trajectory” is far more positive. It’s nothing close to the situation that once existed.

Today’s situation in fact requires a different approach... With only 12 games on the football schedule, there shouldn’t be a school on it that doesn’t need to be there. Two-thirds of those games aren’t in the discussion; we have to schedule Wake Forest and Boston College from the ACC in order to be a member even though we don’t need them either. But the remaining four schools each year should be scrutinized. If they aren’t home-only revenue games, they need to bolster our schedule strength or be there by popular demand. LPT used to check both boxes. Now, you for damn sure don’t help our SOS, and we sell out our games regardless of who we play. All of our games are on some form of national or regional TV.

Quite simply, LPT is the other spouse in a dying relationship: we don’t need you anymore. It’s not hate or even strong dislike. It’s more apathy and indifference. For a growing part of our fanbase, you don’t stir our emotions any longer. And you don’t hold up your end of the relationship. You’re a basketball school which doesn’t understand what that means to your other sports programs. You use superficial metrics like “how much we’ve invested” to justify your football commitment, while your own football players acknowledge they’ll always be a red-headed stepchild. You have ten to fifteen thousand fans in your stadium on senior day. With all due respect, that’s a sorry excuse for a “football rival”.

And for a lotta U of L fans, it’s also a matter of kinship (or lack thereof). Many I know have a hard time relating to slapd!cks and your mentality. You’re the family relation we have to muster our willingness to visit. If we don’t know you, we mutter “uggh” when you pull up next to us in the parking lot. We really don’t want you in our parking lot, our basketball arena or football stadium. Many of us think it looks worse with you there and would prefer not to go inside yours. We don’t care to see or hear you, and if we’re too close, to smell you. We don’t hate you, we just don’t enjoy being around you.

Now, tell me I’m wrong even if you’re a U of L fan reading this. Tell me, U of L fans, how much you like having slappies in your presence. Tell me how you love going up and shaking their hands after a game like today’s. Tell me they’re no different than any other fanbase you encounter. Then, try to convince me how much you’re telling the truth.

I say it time and again…it comes down to respect. You don’t respect someone you’ve grown tired of, don’t wanna be with, or don’t want your name alongside of. LPT is the spouse that’s too easy to stay married to instead of doing the right thing, and we don’t get anything positive out of the relationship. At least not anymore.

LPT Football: We only wish people would like us…

Were in the same State. They should play.

Cards won 5 out of the last 6, so loing has been few and far between.

Give them credit for the home and home, that no one else will give the Cards. Well
that and threat from State legislation.

It hurts them wayyyy more to lose to the Cards. Theyre from the mighty SEC.

Reactions: Deeva
Were in the same State. They should play.

It hurts them wayyyy more to lose to the Cards. Theyre from the mighty SEC.

Disagree here. Every Cat fan wasn't expecting a win today. They lost at home to Southern Miss for crying out load and UL has the best football team I've seen in my lifetime....with the best player in all of college. A UK loss wouldn't have bothered us, I promise you that.

Reactions: awf
...Give them credit for the home and home, that no one else will give the Cards. Well that and threat from State legislation...
That's all old history that's being rewritten every year. At one time, Drake was probably one of our rivals and Campbellsville one of theirs.

Less than a decade ago, did you expect Notre Dame and Alabama to be on our schedule? Even I wasn't that visionary...

Disagree here. Every Cat fan wasn't expecting a win today. They lost at home to Southern Miss for crying out load and UL has the best football team I've seen in my lifetime....with the best player in all of college. A UK loss wouldn't have bothered us, I promise you that.

Last year your fans wanted to drop the series after UofL won.
Losing 6 in a row and the all time lead had to make someone upset.
I know UH had ya'll feeling better about a possible upset.

Congrats on the win Skunt.

That's all old history that's being rewritten every year. At one time, Drake was probably one of our rivals and Campbellsville one of theirs.

Less than a decade ago, did you expect Notre Dame and Alabama to be on our schedule? Even I wasn't that visionary...

Which P5 team you replace them with?
You have to have one.
Besides, Bama is to chicken to play home and home.
ND only does it out of ACC necessity.

They proved today that they are rivals.
That's incorrect. No more so than they were a rival of Tennessee's the one time they won that game in the last thirty years.

As the saying goes, you can't give a sucker an even break...

Which P5 team you replace them with?
You have to have one.
Besides, Bama is to chicken to play home and home.
ND only does it out of ACC necessity.
The point is that the football program has evolved, however Bama and ND got there. I could have just as easily included FSU and Clemson.

I've gone down the list of possibilities before, and there are a number. When people are serious about discussing in a thread on the topic, I'll be glad to research them again.

Off the top, my hands-down preference would be Tennessee. But the list hardly ends there...

So this year UK has beaten UofL in
1. Men's soccer
2. Women's soccer
3. Volleyball
4. Football

It would be interesting to see what would happen if UK cared about sports other than basketball.
What part about the "results don't matter" went right over your head?

LPT Football: You gotta spell it out slowly...

UK owns the series 15-14. As a matter of fact, UL has NEVER led the series. There is nothing remotely comparable about the UT and UL series.
You've got typical slapd!ck comprehension... 'rod talks about one game, not a series. One LPT game proves no more against U of L than any other team LPT plays.

And when you have to go back a century to make a point about a series, your point is irrelevant anyway.

LPT Football: Irrelevancy...

Last year your fans wanted to drop the series after UofL won.
Losing 6 in a row and the all time lead had to make someone upset.
I know UH had ya'll feeling better about a possible upset.

Congrats on the win Skunt.

Thanks Kerry.
And you're correct in a way. Some UK fans wanted to drop the game, but only for the same reason that UL fans want to drop the basketball game. The constant losing side doesn't want to keep playing. I'd be aggravated if we had to play Bama in football each year, but its silly.

I question a persons character when they want to run and hide, on both sides. Makes them seem weak. Its the wussies way out. And its a GAME. Not mentioning names, but some take this too serious. Its a game.

UK owns the series 15-14. As a matter of fact, UL has NEVER led the series. There is nothing remotely comparable about the UT and UL series.

The pre World War 1 stats are meaningless. The school didn't even have a campus until 1923, and I'm not even sure was named University of Louisville or Louisville College at that time.

I know you people love to live in the past, but call a spade a spade, those games aren't creditable.

Funny how you don't see a shittily written "results don't matter" thread until you lose.

Is there a bigger indicator of a massive loser than someone who bitches and moans about how little it matters who won?
If you had crawled outta your hole before yesterday, you'd know this is a point I've been discussing with U of L fans for the better part of a year.

But you're a basketball school, so what does it matter?

LPT Football: We've asked that same question...

The pre World War 1 stats are meaningless. The school didn't even have a campus until 1923, and I'm not even sure was named University of Louisville or Louisville College at that time.

I know you people love to live in the past, but call a spade a spade, those games aren't creditable.
I think what makes them credible is the slappies won some basketball championships before then.

LPT Football: It always gets back around to basketball...

Thanks Kerry.
And you're correct in a way. Some UK fans wanted to drop the game, but only for the same reason that UL fans want to drop the basketball game. The constant losing side doesn't want to keep playing. I'd be aggravated if we had to play Bama in football each year, but its silly...
Which doesn't apply to me because I've long advocated all competitions with LPT be dropped. More to lose than win for us.

And you have to play a conference game to be a member of that conference. We're talking games you have control of scheduling.

LPT Football: Please say it slowly and clearly...

I noted you hadn't taken the time to start a way-too-long post about how you don't actually care who wins or loses until you'd lost...not that you'd never broached the topic before. Swing and a miss
There is just an overwhelming number of slappies in this space tonite for some reason. Big audience.

LPT Football: We carefully choose our opportunities...

Thanks Kerry.
And you're correct in a way. Some UK fans wanted to drop the game, but only for the same reason that UL fans want to drop the basketball game. The constant losing side doesn't want to keep playing. I'd be aggravated if we had to play Bama in football each year, but its silly.

I question a persons character when they want to run and hide, on both sides. Makes them seem weak. Its the wussies way out. And its a GAME. Not mentioning names, but some take this too serious. Its a game.

Truth. Just a game.

Lost my Mother 24 days ago. Nothing seems real.

Uofk could beat Louisville 100 in a row in basketball and id NEVER WANT the series dropped.

Sorry hop...

They aren't a rival by definition. Most of us were alive when the two schools weren't playing regularly in either revenue sport.

Does two years ago qualify as "ugly"? We can post a picture again.

We don't compete much at all in recruiting. That's a baseless argument.

Finding a "classy" LPT fan doesn't justify the series. I know a few of those people too, and I'm strongly on the "drop" side of the debate.

Poll our fans about which opposing fanbase has a disproportionate amount of each type of fan.

LPT Football: Things we can win at...

The game needs to be played in all sports they are the rival.

Barring an ugly incident play.

Recruiting in all sports makes every game matter.

And there are "classy" UK fans out there.

There are good and bad fans for all programs.

I don't really care if we play UK or not. One thing is pretty obvious to me though, it really matters a lot more for them to beat us than when we beat them in any sport.

In basketball it's like they realize it may be the last time they play a meaningful opponent until the NCAA Tourney because the SEC is so horrible. I think beating Texas A&M literally on selection day last year was the only time they beat an NCAA team since Duke to start the year. They don't have anything else to do except obsess over us.

In football it's a coach's 'marquee' win. I even remember back in 2007 they were selling DVD sets of beating us and LSU when we went 6-6. I've never considered beating UK a marquee win, ever. The only one I can say I was really pumped over was probably the thunderstorm game back in 2000 just because of the weather and dramatics. They haven't finished in the top 25 in over 30 years, there's nothing about the game that means anything to me. It's a bad loss if we lose, and get no benefit for a win.

If I were a UK fan I would be more annoyed Stoops gets a blank check over this in the future, because I think he was pretty fortunate in many of their wins this year and it's likely fools gold, so they may need to be careful what they wish for. I was constantly on edge with Kragthorpe about that possibility, so he may be pointing to this game for two years of mediocrity at best from now on.

We compete in recruiting with one another in the big sports that's not baseless. Marcus Teague? Derek Willis? Trey Lyle's? Chane B?

In football the two have flipped players from each other a number of times.

Both fight hard for the Trinity kids to name a few, Bonnafon, Hatcher.

What is actually baseless is the thread. The series isn't going away so whenever you want to come back to reality we'll be here for you.

Reactions: keith37
I don't really care if we play UK or not. One thing is pretty obvious to me though, it really matters a lot more for them to beat us than when we beat them in any sport.

In basketball it's like they realize it may be the last time they play a meaningful opponent until the NCAA Tourney because the SEC is so horrible. I think beating Texas A&M literally on selection day last year was the only time they beat an NCAA team since Duke to start the year. They don't have anything else to do except obsess over us.

In football it's a coach's 'marquee' win. I even remember back in 2007 they were selling DVD sets of beating us and LSU when we went 6-6. I've never considered beating UK a marquee win, ever. The only one I can say I was really pumped over was probably the thunderstorm game back in 2000 just because of the weather and dramatics. They haven't finished in the top 25 in over 30 years, there's nothing about the game that means anything to me. It's a bad loss if we lose, and get no benefit for a win.

If I were a UK fan I would be more annoyed Stoops gets a blank check over this in the future, because I think he was pretty fortunate in many of their wins this year and it's likely fools gold, so they may need to be careful what they wish for. I was constantly on edge with Kragthorpe about that possibility, so he may be pointing to this game for two years of mediocrity at best from now on.

I agree. I don't really care if we play them either the more I think about it. Ha!

I agree. I don't really care if we play them either the more I think about it. Ha!

It's funny how easy it is to ignore some things. I'm not on social media, I'll come out once in a while to make a message board name and post a few times, can't stand talk radio more than 5 minutes, and don't worry with or associate with annoying fans of any kind.

If you do that, it's easier to be a lot more apathetic about negative things and move on. Honestly, even when it looked like we were going to score to win, I was thinking about the fact Michigan was going to kill us with how we were looking in a potential Orange Bowl game. We probably have a much better chance of beating a team like Tennessee now.

Maybe Houston would be a good rival for you. They played you well, it was an exciting game. They lost to unranked Memphis today after whipping UL and looking like a world beater. They'd probably like a series with you. Why would anyone else want to play you? What would they have to gain? If a big time team beats you, they were supposed to. If they lose to you, your football brand is not well known enough nationally that it wouldn't look like a bad loss (with the exception of the Lamar Jackson years.) Are you gonna have a freak athlete like him every year? If so, you might find a taker. But seriously, who do you think would want to play you as a RIVAL GAME and why? Maybe Indiana would be a good border rival. They've got a good team this year.

Reactions: mrdcat
Maybe Houston would be a good rival for you. They played you well, it was an exciting game. They lost to unranked Memphis today after whipping UL and looking like a world beater. They'd probably like a series with you. Why would anyone else want to play you? What would they have to gain? If a big time team beats you, they were supposed to. If they lose to you, your football brand is not well known enough nationally that it wouldn't look like a bad loss (with the exception of the Lamar Jackson years.) Are you gonna have a freak athlete like him every year? If so, you might find a taker. But seriously, who do you think would want to play you as a RIVAL GAME and why? Maybe Indiana would be a good border rival. They've got a good team this year.

Your team hasn't finished in the top 25 since 1984. I honestly don't even know of a Power 5 team with that kind of streak, or even most non Power 5 team with that kind of streak. You just ended the third longest bowl-less streak in the Power 5, still hold the longest losing streak to a single team in college football, and had held the top two at the same time.

This is your first win in the entire series outside of the very first game over the modern series that wasn't due to Ron Cooper or Steve Kragthorpe. UK was ready to build a statue for the last guy who won it, and he still couldn't get a team to finish in the top 25.

Win or lose, I would never trade spots with your team. You have to go back to Bear Bryant to even be talked about as a relevant team, at least U of L has been on the radar and will likely end and start next year in the top 25 again. Something that hasn't happened for you since Michael Jordan was an NBA rookie.

…who have crawled outta their holes tonite and stumbled in. There’s nothing you can say or do to make me feel bad about today’s result. As I’ve already commented, it largely vindicates me on the wisdom of keeping you on the schedule now that U of L fans are experiencing that again firsthand. Any U of L fan who wants (or wanted) to play LPT is getting a nice dose of the downside tonite. And I’ll bet it’s a lot more extreme than they remember the upside to be.

My remarks are hardly disingenuous and coincidental with today's game result; U of L fans know I've been on this crusade for awhile, and it will continue. What slappies confuse as my disdain for you and your school is not much affected by the on-the-field/court results. Indeed, the results are almost irrelevant. When I see LPT on one of our schedules, it doesn’t evoke fear or joy or hatred or any other basic emotion, most of which are far too intense to describe my attitude. You just cause me to ask “why?”

When LPT wasn’t on the schedule, U of L fans still alive today wanted you on it. We needed you there. Our athletic programs were developing, and we needed recognition and schedule strength and the opportunity to compete with a big(ger) program. From the LPT perspective, that’s exactly why we weren’t on your schedule. Uncle Adolph and his kind knew that not scheduling U of L slowed our progress if it didn’t necessarily stop it. Basketball was the principal concern because LPT is and always will be a basketball school. Other sports didn’t matter, and we were way behind in football at one time, maybe more so than any other sport.

That was a couple generations ago, and things are vastly different today. In the ACC, Louisville has a platform that is the equal of the SEC, all sports considered. We have a national brand, and we dominate this area of Kentucky and Indiana. Our athletics revenues are close to LPT’s, and as Doc Ramsey used to say, our “trajectory” is far more positive. It’s nothing close to the situation that once existed.

Today’s situation in fact requires a different approach... With only 12 games on the football schedule, there shouldn’t be a school on it that doesn’t need to be there. Two-thirds of those games aren’t in the discussion; we have to schedule Wake Forest and Boston College from the ACC in order to be a member even though we don’t need them either. But the remaining four schools each year should be scrutinized. If they aren’t home-only revenue games, they need to bolster our schedule strength or be there by popular demand. LPT used to check both boxes. Now, you for damn sure don’t help our SOS, and we sell out our games regardless of who we play. All of our games are on some form of national or regional TV.

Quite simply, LPT is the other spouse in a dying relationship: we don’t need you anymore. It’s not hate or even strong dislike. It’s more apathy and indifference. For a growing part of our fanbase, you don’t stir our emotions any longer. And you don’t hold up your end of the relationship. You’re a basketball school which doesn’t understand what that means to your other sports programs. You use superficial metrics like “how much we’ve invested” to justify your football commitment, while your own football players acknowledge they’ll always be a red-headed stepchild. You have ten to fifteen thousand fans in your stadium on senior day. With all due respect, that’s a sorry excuse for a “football rival”.

And for a lotta U of L fans, it’s also a matter of kinship (or lack thereof). Many I know have a hard time relating to slapd!cks and your mentality. You’re the family relation we have to muster our willingness to visit. If we don’t know you, we mutter “uggh” when you pull up next to us in the parking lot. We really don’t want you in our parking lot, our basketball arena or football stadium. Many of us think it looks worse with you there and would prefer not to go inside yours. We don’t care to see or hear you, and if we’re too close, to smell you. We don’t hate you, we just don’t enjoy being around you.

Now, tell me I’m wrong even if you’re a U of L fan reading this. Tell me, U of L fans, how much you like having slappies in your presence. Tell me how you love going up and shaking their hands after a game like today’s. Tell me they’re no different than any other fanbase you encounter. Then, try to convince me how much you’re telling the truth.

I say it time and again…it comes down to respect. You don’t respect someone you’ve grown tired of, don’t wanna be with, or don’t want your name alongside of. LPT is the spouse that’s too easy to stay married to instead of doing the right thing, and we don’t get anything positive out of the relationship. At least not anymore.

LPT Football: We only wish people would like us…
Your constant use of "LPT" and "slapd!ck" disproves every word you said. Don't act like you don't care. It's personal to ya.

Its a rivalry, get over it .
Oh no don't get me wrong. I quite like it. But I'm just saying, own it. Don't downplay a rivalry that drives you to post so passionately. Own that crap and send your team out on the field to meet ours.

Oh no don't get me wrong. I quite like it. But I'm just saying, own it. Don't downplay a rivalry that drives you to post so passionately. Own that crap and send your team out on the field to meet ours.
Oh, I own everything I post. As you know, I'm here way too much to get away with NOT owning it.

But unlicensed psychoanalysis on your part doesn't necessarily yield accurate results. I post passionately on way too many topics for one like this to stand out. And I posted well before this game that the football series should be dropped, maybe before any other sport because of how little U of L gets out of it.

And rest assured when all of the slapd!cks are gone in a few days and it's just me and my Uof L buds left, I'll be working them over pretty good about how much they're enjoying this little "rivalry". But at the moment, I have too many slappies to administer to.

LPT Football: Like cockroaches...

I think this is what he said, more or less: Zipp is not upset that the Slapd!cks from LPT D!ckslapped the Cards today because the Slappies are still Slapd!cks....he doesn't dislike or hate slappies because, uhmmm.......Slapd!cks!!! Yes, that's right, Slapd!cks are slappies, and slappies are Slapd!cks, and the loss to the Slapd!cks doesn't bother him at all because....Slapd!cks! Pretty much sums it up, give or take a friendly 'Slapd!ck' reference (because the 'Slapd!ck' moniker could never be construed as a term of dislike or hatred). You see, Zipp is above the hatred, just mostly wonders (when he sees a Slapd!ck) "why" the Slapd!cks are on any of UL's schedules because getting D!ckslapped by the Slapd!cks (a natural in-state rival that is no longer a rival because Zipp said so) does not benefit UL.
Sorta, but you reminded me... Limited slappy vocabulary (AKA illiteracy) is another issue.

LPT Football: You wanna talk about limitations...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT