ADVERTISEMENT

Ledford leaving

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
He’s gonna be OL coach for the Falcons, joining Dave Ragone. Big loss for Cards who now lost OC/OL coach, QB coach and RB coach.
After he got passed over for Marshall head coaching job I wonder if Ledford figured NFL is better future for him.

This is not good.

OC/OL Ledford
QBC Ponce
Leading Rusher Javian Hawkins
Leading wideouts Tutu Atwell & Dez Fitz

We really needed Ledford for that OLine. We have to get a homerun hire.

He’s gonna be OL coach for the Falcons, joining Dave Ragone. Big loss for Cards who now lost OC/OL coach, QB coach and RB coach.
After he got passed over for Marshall head coaching job I wonder if Ledford figured NFL is better future for him.
The new ATL HC was an offensive lineman at UNC when Ledford started coaching there. The move makes sense.

Reactions: rh62531
Medford played in the league. No more recruiting is a major obstacle in college. Just working on a specific group of players on technique, strength, plays, is less burden on your time. You have some input into drafting or free agency, trades.

Current Offensive Quality Control coach, Pete Thomas, has been promoted to QB coach. Bio

Yep.

Coaches are never “fired”. They just move to another town.

No matter how bad their record/accomplishments are, somebody somewhere thinks they’re a pretty good fit for them.

Coaching is both a great gig and a terrible one.

I sense it’s more to it than that. It’s like people jumping off a sinking ship. The Satterfield debacle was just that.
I don't buy that. Not saying that's not the case. I'm just saying the coaching profession is nomadic. There's turnover everywhere all the time. But, in Louisville's case, Ledford moving on is a no brainer. The NFL is the peak of the profession. He'll get a lot more money without having the burden of recruiting. Ponce moved up the ranks by the taking an OC position at a school he's very familiar with. Moving up is another no brainer. McKenzie taking the same position at Vanderbilt, his alma mater, that would be a no brainer for me, as well.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Bad timing somewhat with Ponce been nice if Led ford had gotten his chance first to leave. More than likely Ponce would have not left and been promoted to OC here just luck of the draw.

I sense it’s more to it than that. It’s like people jumping off a sinking ship. The Satterfield debacle was just that.

A guy going to NFL, a position coach getting a coordinator position, and a position coach making a lateral move to coach his alma mater and with a former teammate. These are not the symptoms of a problem.

Reactions: Morgantown Card
A guy going to NFL, a position coach getting a coordinator position, and a position coach making a lateral move to coach his alma mater and with a former teammate. These are not the symptoms of a problem.
Let’s hope anyway. Two things can be true at the same time.

True, that means he did his homework upon his arrival. But, a whole new offensive staff is going to require the perfect hire.

We’re replacing a QB Coach, an OC, and also OL. We have a In-house QB, but OLine is very important.

I don't buy that. Not saying that's not the case. I'm just saying the coaching profession is nomadic. There's turnover everywhere all the time. But, in Louisville's case, Ledford moving on is a no brainer. The NFL is the peak of the profession. He'll get a lot more money without having the burden of recruiting. Ponce moved up the ranks by the taking an OC position at a school he's very familiar with. Moving up is another no brainer. McKenzie taking the same position at Vanderbilt, his alma mater, that would be a no brainer for me, as well.
He would have taken the Marshall HC position if offered. There was nothing holding him here. No bright future or great expectations. HC wanted to bail. I agree coaching is for nomads but most of them have sort of motivation for being there. They want to accomplish something. He saw it wasn’t going to happen here. Move on.

It is an interesting job. I do find it interesting how frequently coaches move around. It is a very unstable profession. They have to look at things in 2-3 year periods.

All the decisions make sense from a professional development perspective.

I would say maybe Satterfield organizational structure may need tweaking. Titles don’t mean much if they don’t actually perform the job. That can lead to job jumping. Ponce leaves to be an OC and Ledford leaves to be Oline coach at the highest level. I wonder if they both leave if the OC job was 90% their offense. When the head coach is both head coach and OC then assistants professional development is limited. They may leave eventually but not as quickly. Their window of opportunity is small to if HC is their goal.

I attribute the staff losses to a less than stellar season and an athletic department that is in (primarily) pandemic-induced cost cutting mode. Hopefully, the cost cutting mode is just temporary.

After a 4-7 season, it’s highly unlikely that Ponce, Ledford, or McKenzie were getting a raise. And when you’re not getting a raise, you tend to be more willing to take another job as long as it’s not a demotion. Each of the three jobs taken by Ponce, Ledford, and McKenzie almost certainly came with at least a small raise, or at least the opportunity to add something new to their resume’.

It's unfortunate that it's 3 coaches at once, but all of the new roles are progressions for all 3 of them. I think the one lateral move is McKenzie going back to his alma mater Vanderbilt. Ponce QB Coach to OC, Ledford to the NFL. Nothing here screams FARRRR that sonofabeyitch Satterfield.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
It's unfortunate that it's 3 coaches at once, but all of the new roles are progressions for all 3 of them. I think the one lateral move is McKenzie going back to his alma mater Vanderbilt. Ponce QB Coach to OC, Ledford to the NFL. Nothing here screams FARRRR that sonofabeyitch Satterfield.

True. But each of the moves are also not so much of a promotion that the coaches could not have been convinced to stay had they been offered raises. OC at Appalachian State is not (normally) going to be able to pay more than QB at Louisville, for example. Same for RB coach at Vandy versus Louisville. The only one that might be a significant pay raise is NFL OL coach versus UofL OL/OC.

If your goal is to be a head coach, you have to move up in the staff pecking order (responsibilities, etc) even if it means a little step down to a smaller program.

ADVERTISEMENT