ADVERTISEMENT

KSR reporting Lamar Thomas to be UK's next WR coach

nice strawman argument...
Description: Substituting a person’s actual position or argument with a distorted, exaggerated, or misrepresented version of the position of the argument.

I'm sorry, is the fact that UK is on their 3 OC under Stoops a distortion, exaggeration, or misrepresentation? Please correct me if so. I'm open to clarification.

Maybe he's into self-mutilation:confused:.

I have no clue why a guy would go from UofL to uk in football unless the guy is into getting whipped by his former employer on a regular basis. Maybe Bobby is trolling the uk coaching staff and directing the guy to them because Thomas flat sucks as a coach.

It is rather interesting that Stupes has decided to hire former Iowa State wide receivers coach Tommy Mangino as an offensive quality control assistant 24 hours after the big "coup" luring Thomas to lexington. Seems at least circumstantially to lend weight to the claim that Thomas wasn't a great WR position coach.

Not hard to understand Porky's motivation though - if you can't beat your rival on the field, create the appearance that you're "beating" them elsewhere - in all of the intangible areas like recruit ratings and poaching coaches. I'm sure they are desperate to break into FLA, history has proven that 2nd & 3rd tier Ohio recruits and most "1st tier" Kentucky recruits won't get you very far even in a watered down sec east.

For all of the chest thumping going on in Big Hillbilly Nation, the absolute fact of the matter is that if Louisville wanted to keep Thomas, they would have.

I couldn't care less about someone who decides to swap schools like this - to a rival, no less. What I don't understand is the timing of it all. This is baffling.

I mean, around when did Lamar know he would be moving on?

Why would he opt to announce the day before NSD??

Doesn't he understand what bad form that is? Did he just write "F---You!" in big red letters on the Cardinals bulletin board?

If UK was thee responsible party for this bizarre situation, then they wrote it up there, lol. That would be ankle-biting of the first order. Somebody is due a great big giant full plate of really awful humiliation.

C'mon now, get off it. You guys are on your 3 OC under Stoops. Don't peddle any "model of continuity" yarn over here.

To be fair. First OC offered Head Coach and I wouldn't think he would pass on it.. Second OC was a mistake and one Stoops realized and he corrected it.... Quickly. Most CEO's correct mistakes they made its how you grow... Kinda like you guys did with your head coach prior to Strong. Lastly, the current OC is who Stoops wanted last year but he was not ready to leave Cincy. Spin it however you like.....

To be fair. First OC offered Head Coach and I wouldn't think he would pass on it.. Second OC was a mistake and one Stoops realized and he corrected it.... Quickly. Most CEO's correct mistakes they made its how you grow... Kinda like you guys did with your head coach prior to Strong. Lastly, the current OC is who Stoops wanted last year but he was not ready to leave Cincy. Spin it however you like.....

My only statement was "UK is on their 3rd OC under Stoops". There is no spin to that; a very simply, and accurate, statement.

My only statement was "UK is on their 3rd OC under Stoops". There is no spin to that; a very simply, and accurate, statement.

Your statement is correct, however if you meant that statement HONESTLY and not as a knock against UK for having THREE different OC then I stand corrected and I mis judged your intentions for that statement. :confused:

Your statement is correct, however if you meant that statement HONESTLY and not as a knock against UK for having THREE different OC then I stand corrected and I mis judged your intentions for that statement. :confused:

Read the thread, my statement was a response to Pike's statement about what he felt was UK's coaching personnel stability in comparison to what he felt was UofL's coaching personnel instability. I made the statement to counter that the football personnel at UK was no more or less stable than at UofL. I have no idea exactly how many either staff have lost, but you can't call one staff unstable, without acknowledging the same for the other staff.

Fwiw...Andrea Adelson at ESPN said she had heard Lamar Thomas was not going to be retained by UofL. Guessing they told him to find another job. Gotta think BP fill have this position filled quickly.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
Hahaha. Coach Stoops is a defensive genius and can redefine words like continuity. He didn't want Dawson so that one doesn't even count!

To bad Barnhard can't quickly fix his mistake of giving a crap 12-24 coach a huge raise and extension.

Fair enough...but didn't say anything about championships. Like it or not, the talent level we are bringing in is unprecedented at UK. Rome wasn't built in a day with the sport of football. But we brought in 3 Army all Americans and our first 5 star player this year. And we are beating you in recruiting for the 3rd time in 4 years since Stoops. That hasn't translated to the field yet and there is no guarantee it will. But to echo the same old mantra about "UK always sucking, etc, etc." is tired. Better players make better teams. doesn't guarantee winning but it sure makes it a lot more of a possibility.
Actually better coaches coaching up that talent makes better teams. UK is still lacking in that area.

You have NO clue who our lead recruiters for which players are.
https://kentucky.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=3276&Team=38&Sport=1&Year=2014

https://kentucky.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=3276&Team=38&Sport=1&Year=2015

https://kentucky.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=3276&Team=38&Sport=1&Year=2016

Hope this helps. Rivals doesn't always update who the lead recruiter is for every recruit. I read that Lamar was the lead recruiter for Traveon Samuels and the Mullins kid too

It is rather interesting that Stupes has decided to hire former Iowa State wide receivers coach Tommy Mangino as an offensive quality control assistant 24 hours after the big "coup" luring Thomas to lexington. Seems at least circumstantially to lend weight to the claim that Thomas wasn't a great WR position coach.

Not hard to understand Porky's motivation though - if you can't beat your rival on the field, create the appearance that you're "beating" them elsewhere - in all of the intangible areas like recruit ratings and poaching coaches. I'm sure they are desperate to break into FLA, history has proven that 2nd & 3rd tier Ohio recruits and most "1st tier" Kentucky recruits won't get you very far even in a watered down sec east.

For all of the chest thumping going on in Big Hillbilly Nation, the absolute fact of the matter is that if Louisville wanted to keep Thomas, they would have.
Tommy Mangino has spent his entire life around one of the better offensive minds of this generation in college football. He is a very bright guy with an even brighter future ahead of him. He wasn't brought in to be Thomas' crutch he is going to be working with the entire offense. Alabama hires a ton of these quality control assistants every year as do all of the big time programs and no one is claiming that they can't coach. The more coaches and experience you have on the practice field the more one on one coaching you can do.

Why do you think UL wouldn't want to keep Thomas? Buckley and Thomas were 2 of UL's 3 best recruiters. Once Buckley left it definitely became more important to keep Thomas. Great recruiters don't grow on trees. They are paid well, teams fight to keep them, and they aren't just lying around unemployed waiting to be hired. Petrino is widely known as a very hard person to work or play for. His attitude wins a lot of games but rubs some people the wrong way. It may have been a situation where Thomas wanted a change. Thomas also goes all the way back with Eddie Gran to his playing days at Miami when Gran was a grad assistant and they won the title. It may have been a situation where Thomas was interested in coaching under an old friend. Gran is about to be a head coach maybe Thomas sees and opportunity to follow him and be his OC in a couple of years. It could've been a career development move where learning a new system under another respected offensive mind would make him more marketable. The "if we wanted to keep him we would've" is an awfully simple take and a flawed one

Tommy Mangino has spent his entire life around one of the better offensive minds of this generation in college football. He is a very bright guy with an even brighter future ahead of him. He wasn't brought in to be Thomas' crutch he is going to be working with the entire offense. Alabama hires a ton of these quality control assistants every year as do all of the big time programs and no one is claiming that they can't coach. The more coaches and experience you have on the practice field the more one on one coaching you can do.

Why do you think UL wouldn't want to keep Thomas? Buckley and Thomas were 2 of UL's 3 best recruiters. Once Buckley left it definitely became more important to keep Thomas. Great recruiters don't grow on trees. They are paid well, teams fight to keep them, and they aren't just lying around unemployed waiting to be hired. Petrino is widely known as a very hard person to work or play for. His attitude wins a lot of games but rubs some people the wrong way. It may have been a situation where Thomas wanted a change. Thomas also goes all the way back with Eddie Gran to his playing days at Miami when Gran was a grad assistant and they won the title. It may have been a situation where Thomas was interested in coaching under an old friend. Gran is about to be a head coach maybe Thomas sees and opportunity to follow him and be his OC in a couple of years. It could've been a career development move where learning a new system under another respected offensive mind would make him more marketable. The "if we wanted to keep him we would've" is an awfully simple take and a flawed one
Hmmm - let's see. According to multiple respected media outlets just last year when faced with competition for its DC and OC, from the Oakland Raiders and OU, Louisville successfully retained both guys. Using that logic of that model, you're saying that assuming Louisville could have retained a position coach if they wanted to is "flawed"? Ok - lol.

As evidence of this flawed thinking you provide a wheelbarrow full of maybes - everything from maybe Petrino is too hard to work for to (the hilarious nonsense) that Eddie Gran(!) is about to be a head coach and Lamar is simply hitching his star to that wagon.

Thanks for the laughs.

To be fair, you HAVE to expect some skepticism over here when we hear each year about the changes made that are "game changers"...until they're proven not to be. We've heard the same things about each coaching hire made, and I realize every program puts their best face and hopes on each new hire. So, you will have to excuse some rolled eyes when we are again presented with newest version of "the dream team", or as Justin Rowland puts it, "the staff Stoops always wanted". Now, as far as Thomas, only he and Coach Petrino know if he was wanted to be retained, but it does certainly appear as though there was no effort to counter UK's pursuit and offer. Maybe the 4 or so new additions will be the magic pill for UK, who knows. But please excuse us if we wait to see the results.

...Why do you think UL wouldn't want to keep Thomas? Buckley and Thomas were 2 of UL's 3 best recruiters. Once Buckley left it definitely became more important to keep Thomas...
You apparently don't know WTF you're talking about and are just repeating what you've heard or been spoon fed...

None, zero of this year's U of L commitments show Thomas as the lead recruiter. Only one of the serious prospects on the U of L list shows Thomas. And that guy--Rodjay Burns--is IN LOUISVILLE and had flipped away from U of L. (With Thomas gone, the hope is that he flips back tomorrow...)

Who needs that kind of recruiting help? Better luck to him at LPT.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Last edited:
The word is he was resting on his laurels as a former NFL pro & player at the "U".
Not as strong & committed recruiter, as some would have you believe.
A much better fit at uk, the home of "Smoke & Mirrors".

Reactions: KerryRhodes
I sure enjoy seeing UK fans pretending to be experts on college football and having the inside scoop on the actions of Louisville's coaches as well as "the best offensive minds of their generation." Tonight, it is adding to the amusement of the Kayuts loss at Tennessee. Blew a 21 point lead, which sounds rather familiar....

I for one, love the hire. It is evident by the lack of effort to retain Thomas that BP was not worried about losing him. And by ignoring his previous legal adventures, the yuts have yet again exposed themselves to be the rationalizing hypocrites that we all knew them to be.

One might even characterize it as a "Faustian bargain" - lol.

Fwiw...Andrea Adelson at ESPN said she had heard Lamar Thomas was not going to be retained by UofL. Guessing they told him to find another job. Gotta think BP fill have this position filled quickly.

One of UL top recruiters in Florida, a guy with 2 national champ rings and NFL experience to sway recruits from his own back yard in FL, Florida the hottest recruiting area in the country and this guy has a key to the front door. Owe but UL was just about to send him packing , and replacing him with Petrino JR to pick up the slack? You cant be serious?

Bro
One of UL top recruiters in Florida, a guy with 2 national champ rings and NFL experience to sway recruits from his own back yard in FL, Florida the hottest recruiting area in the country and this guy has a key to the front door. Owe but UL was just about to send him packing , and replacing him with Petrino JR to pick up the slack? You cant be serious?

Preach it my big blue brother!! These card fans are a strange bunch. They actually believe ul is better than UK!! They take random periods of time to frame the head to head records like the last 5 years. They want to act like some random number like points after 4 random quarters of football and try to claim some kind victory...lol. Some fan bases just have low football IQ.

What a pathetic turd you are WildcatofNati - hiding in the bushes over here like some low rent voyeur.

BTW - the way you yuts have had to bend over backwards to explain your blatant hypocrisy in hiring Lamar Thomas would impress a contortionist. It was amusing to watch from up close.

Enjoy your continued mediocrity!

Reactions: LockdownCard
You mean to tell me that Florida is hotter than southeastern Ohio?!?

I'm shocked I tell you - shocked.

I couldn't care less about someone who decides to swap schools like this - to a rival, no less. What I don't understand is the timing of it all. This is baffling.

I mean, around when did Lamar know he would be moving on?

Why would he opt to announce the day before NSD??

Doesn't he understand what bad form that is? Did he just write "F---You!" in big red letters on the Cardinals bulletin board?

If UK was thee responsible party for this bizarre situation, then they wrote it up there, lol. That would be ankle-biting of the first order. Somebody is due a great big giant full plate of really awful humiliation.

Just my opinion...this was mainly Stoops doing to create a little distraction...as much as I don't care for Thomas why would he want to create this impression right before NSD. He knew he was leaving and really it does him no real good for this to come out 2 days prior to NSD...for Thomas it a bad look especially with the fact that in a few years most coaches move around. No need to burn any bridges in that business.

But going forward Louisville will be just fine...it didn't harm the 2016 class and really Coach Petrino can bring in 2 coaches-(still haven't filled Greg Brown spot either). Can get a coach at another position and would like to get a coach with South Florida connections.

You need to do homework. They hired a Quality Control person who will work with the OC.
Don't you have to have "quality" before you have Quality Control? UK needs to prove it on the field. As of now, you cant even beat a downtrodden Vanderbilt and despite supposedly getting better recruits you haven't beaten us in 5 years. An untested immature QB and new OC with Quality Control sounds like a winner. LOL

Reactions: KerryRhodes

I know many UK fans aren't able to engage in rational thought, but it would be totally irrational for someone to leave a position at a stable, upward trending program for a bottom-feeder whose coach is on the hot seat. Unless of course that person was given indications that their services were not going to be needed going forward.

This makes the most sense. Especially since it sounds like Nick was coaching the WR anyways. Lamar was likely window dressing for recruits. He is no longer needed and Nick likely earned the promotion with the work he did with the receivers last season.

This makes the most sense. Especially since it sounds like Nick was coaching the WR anyways. Lamar was likely window dressing for recruits. He is no longer needed and Nick likely earned the promotion with the work he did with the receivers last season.
No Nick shouldn't be our WR coach. Petrino needs to go out and get someone more qualified. Bring on Branch, he could definately sell the program.

Reactions: CATFANFOLIFE87
No Nick shouldn't be our WR coach. Petrino needs to go out and get someone more qualified. Bring on Branch, he could definitely sell the program.
Don't get me wrong, I am not necessarily saying Nick Petrino is the best option for WR coach. I was responding to the poster that said that Lamar was likely told to find another job. I think it's pretty obvious that Lamar was going to be let go and my guess is that is likely because Nick Petrino was coaching the WR's anyway. My guess is that they decided to let Lamar go because Nick basically took or earned the position that Lamar was here for. I don't really know how good of a coach he is but is does sound like he's been our WR coach.

It was a knock; a deserved one much as you rubes were singing Dawson's praises last year we'll hold off annointing Eddie Freakin Gran. Stupes is so far a lot of talk and little in the way of results. On the field this program is not a lot better than the Joker years. True story!

Reactions: LockdownCard
Position coaches come and go. The trick is keeping the coordinators something we have done. Simple fact is if we wanted LT we would have LT. The suppose raise he's receiving at SuCk would have been matched and increased if need be. He was out and Stupes gave him a job because that all there was. He had very little to do with recruiting fact. Spin it, say what you want, bottom line the results are determined on the field and SuCk isn't getting it done period. Another fact! And that's the only fact that matters.

You mean to tell me that Florida is hotter than southeastern Ohio?!?

I'm shocked I tell you - shocked.
They aren't as far apart as you would think. Rivals has 100 rated players in California, Florida, and Texas. There are 80 rated players in Georgia and 70 in Ohio. Ohio produces the 5th most NFL players of any state. I'd rather get top 40 Ohio guys than those in Florida ranked in the 75-100 range. We routinely beat Michigan St for most of our recruits and they are the same players that got them to the playoffs. 27 of their upperclassmen are from Ohio

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT