ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Willard and Rick Pitino

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
Well, after listening to every talking head today on both the radio and TV, the consensus is Rick Pitino has coached his last game at the University of Louisville. Of course no one knows what's going to happen in the coming months but I'm fearful they will be proven right. When you get down to the pros and cons of this thing, even now without knowing everything that happened, it's still difficult for me to see a happy ending. Even if Tom Jurich is 100 percent behind Pitino and is ready to take the heat to keep him, I believe Pitino would resign to avoid more stress on the program and his returning players.

I think the process will be made easier if there's a worthy successor and I think that person is Kevin Willard. He's hot right now as Seton Hall won the Big East tournament and we all know of his Pitino connections. Seton Hall also loses their best players after the tournament so the Pirates may have to rebuild next season. I think we all would agree Willard would take the job in a heartbeat.

I think a lot of hard choices are going to have to be made and having someone that Pitino would be high on taking over would make his decision less hard. I believe that Pitino does want what's best for UofL than himself in this thing. I could be totally off with all of this but I'm just trying to prepare myself for what's to come.

Well, after listening to every talking head today on both the radio and TV, the consensus is Rick Pitino has coached his last game at the University of Louisville. Of course no one knows what's going to happen in the coming months but I'm fearful they will be proven right. When you get down to the pros and cons of this thing, even now without knowing everything that happened, it's still difficult for me to see a happy ending. Even if Tom Jurich is 100 percent behind Pitino and is ready to take the heat to keep him, I believe Pitino would resign to avoid more stress on the program and his returning players.

I think the process will be made easier if there's a worthy successor and I think that person is Kevin Willard. He's hot right now as Seton Hall won the Big East tournament and we all know of his Pitino connections. Seton Hall also loses their best players after the tournament so the Pirates may have to rebuild next season. I think we all would agree Willard would take the job in a heartbeat.

I think a lot of hard choices are going to have to be made and having someone that Pitino would be high on taking over would make his decision less hard. I believe that Pitino does want what's best for UofL than himself in this thing. I could be totally off with all of this but I'm just trying to prepare myself for what's to come.
No offense but, the only correct statement in your post was that KW would take the job in a second.

No offense but, the only correct statement in your post was that KW would take the job in a second.
How's that? What exactly is correct to you? My post was an opinion and a opinion I said may be wrong. It's not about being correct. I didn't predict Willard would be the coach, just suggested it.

If Pitino left, he would be forced out. And if he is forced out, they wouldn't hire a Pitino disciple to replace him.

Only way Coach Pitino doesn't come back is if he's forced out.

Dont see that happening.
What happens in these kind of deals is a change at the top supposed to mitigate the penalties. There is a long history of this. Pitino hasn't even met with the NCAA yet and how that meeting goes will determine a lot what the NCAA will demand.

Personally, I hope the NCAA doesn't hold Pitino guilty of negligence and tell the university that his removal would indeed mitigate the situation. But if that happens I have no doubt Pitino would resign first. Again, it's just my opinion.

If Pitino left, he would be forced out. And if he is forced out, they wouldn't hire a Pitino disciple to replace him.
This is just silly. If Pitino is forced out it will be by the NCAA. Jurich so much respects Pitino that a disciple would be at the top of the list.

Here we go again. This has been brought up discussed and brought up and discussed again. Pitino said himself he's coming back. The only two exceptions 1) For health reasons 2) If the the university doesn't bring him back. And since all report from UL (TJ) he wants him back not to mention the BOT. I could careless what the so called talking heads say. Really what do they know?

If Kevin Willard was coming to Louisville Ralph Willard would not be leaving. Rick Pitino isn't going anywhere, he has a National Championship team coming up either next year or the year after. Tom Jurich is behind him and Board members have apologized for the statements they made against him.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Word is that a suspension will happen much like what happened to the CUSE.

If Kevin Willard was coming to Louisville Ralph Willard would not be leaving. Rick Pitino isn't going anywhere, he has a National Championship team coming up either next year or the year after. Tom Jurich is behind him and Board members have apologized for the statements they made against him.
I can agree with a lot of this. Maybe there are no more damning truths out there and the self imposed ban will suffice with the NCAA? But sometimes events dictate changes in decision making. That's all I'm saying.

Really when has the NCAA forced a coach out? Not happening never happening.
Huh? The NCAA has told many a school the coach leaving would be better for all sides. So, the NCAA is telling a school to remove the coach. Has happened many times.

I can agree with a lot of this. Maybe there are no more damning truths out there and the self imposed ban will suffice with the NCAA? But sometimes events dictate changes in decision making. That's all I'm saying.
I believe we're towards the end of this investigation with the scheduled interview of CRP next month. If there were any additional bombs I'm sure Smrt already knows. Also ESPN has been digging through all the mud and if this morning is any indication they haven't found anything new that's earth shattering. Now towards the end IMO meaning sometime around July. Just a SWAG.

Huh? The NCAA has told many a school the coach leaving would be better for all sides. So, the NCAA is telling a school to remove the coach. Has happened many times.
Telling and making are two different things. And since this is CRP first offense and since at this point he's not been directly tied to the money or having knowledge there's no indication from past history they would do that.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Regardless of what we know or think about all that is going on, none of us know what is going to happen one way or the other. Idle speculation.

Reactions: zipp
Regardless of what we know or think about all that is going on, none of us know what is going to happen one way or the other. Idle speculation.
Absolutely. And I stopped reading the OP when I heard that today's talking heads were the source of the info.

Also, little or no chance young Willard would be the coach anyway. But best of luck to him...

I agree, until the investigation is finalized no one knows anything even Pitino.

Now if you go by what we already know Pitino isn't going anywhere. All we found out yesterday is why the school officials imposed the post season ban. We also learned the NCAA is trying to verify the money in terms of value and source. Both of which are going to be very hard to determine. The only source at this point that can accurately define the value is McGee. He is never going to talk to the NCAA.
Someone else, who may not even exist, would have to come out from inside the program which is very unlikely.

My point is stick with what we know if you want to make an educated guess on the final outcome instead of listening to talking heads. They know less than people on this board and we don't know much either.

Realville & Cardfirst - I believe both of you are right. Cardfirst is correct in that the NCAA never tells a University to fire someone(probably to avoid potential legal liability in a civil suit). But if they issue a "Show Cause" ruling the school almost always terminates the coach because the penalties the school would incur should there be violations in the future are so substantial the coach is almost always terminated.

Absolutely. And I stopped reading the OP when I heard that today's talking heads were the source of the info.

Also, little or no chance young Willard would be the coach anyway. But best of luck to him...
I may be wrong about Pitino's fate, but I assure you, Willard would be near the top of potential candidates.

I may be wrong about Pitino's fate, but I assure you, Willard would be near the top of potential candidates.

Once Willard shows some results in the tourney then he might get a sniff. Until then, there is no way he is qualified for the UofL head coaching job.

Unless CRP is tied directly to the money or had knowledge he's not going anywhere.

Unless CRP is tied directly to the money or had knowledge he's not going anywhere.
Strict liability was the enforcement standard created when Memphis was sanctioned for the Rose case. It doesn't matter if the coach knew anymore. The head coach is directly responsible for anything that goes on under his watch whether he is proven to have been involved or not. Cal was not hit with a show cause but all of the wins including his final four were stripped. That is the precedent for playing players that are later ruled ineligible and it doesn't matter if the coach knew. It's an unfair standard to hold coaches to but everyone was fine with it when it was happening to Cal because no one likes him. Cal said back then and I'm paraphrasing "the NCAA can do this to me but it's going to come back to haunt them someday when a coach that they like is caught blindsided by a similar situation that I was". That situation wouldn't necessarily force UL to part ways with Pitino but UL would be the first that I'm aware of to keep a coach under those circumstances

Last edited:
Jeebus guys, I know we are emotionally a little close to this situation and we're hurting because a damn good team just stayed home in the post-season, but I can't believe the level of handwringing over this! I could be proven wrong and of course I hope that isn't the case, but a couple strippers involved with a couple recruits who didn't come here simply does not measure up to being a major crushing violation. Minor violation yes, but not a lack of institutional control level case that would have the Hall of Fame coach forced out by the NCAA. Get ahold of yourselves man!

Jeebus guys, I know we are emotionally a little close to this situation and we're hurting because a damn good team just stayed home in the post-season, but I can't believe the level of handwringing over this! I could be proven wrong and of course I hope that isn't the case, but a couple strippers involved with a couple recruits who didn't come here simply does not measure up to being a major crushing violation. Minor violation yes, but not a lack of institutional control level case that would have the Hall of Fame coach forced out by the NCAA. Get ahold of yourselves man!
Playing Devil's advocate, the lack of institutional control is in play because allegedly money changed hands. If they can link the money trail to the coaching staff or to a booster other than Andre McGee then the institutional control punishment will probably be imposed, and we'll lose more than just this post season. At best Pitino gets suspended and the program suffers scholarship reductions along with probation. Pitino at that point might decide to hell with it and quit. Really, what does he have left to prove? He's already in the Hall of Fame, and he's more than rich enough to retire in total comfort. I'm certain ESPN would love to have him as a talking head.

To date they have not been able to determine where the money came from. That's clear from Barr's questions to Andre. Let's hope it came from Andre. As I stated in another post. I have serious doubts that Andre was handing out stacks of 200 to 500 one dollar bills as was reported. That means if you have 5 guys at the party your handing out 1,000 to 2,500 bills. If there are 10 its 2,000 to 5,000 bills. I'm throwing the bull shit flag. No way. I'd be willing to bet there was no more than 50 in each stack. Go to the bank and get 50 1's. It's a large wad of cash. Does not change the fact that a violation occurred. But it does considerably change the amount of money needed to fund these parties.

Strict liability was the enforcement standard created when Memphis was sanctioned for the Rose case. It doesn't matter if the coach knew anymore. The head coach is directly responsible for anything that goes on under his watch whether he is proven to have been involved or not. Cal was not hit with a show cause but all of the wins including his final four were stripped. That is the precedent for playing players that are later ruled ineligible and it doesn't matter if the coach knew. It's an unfair standard to hold coaches to but everyone was fine with it when it was happening to Cal because no one likes him. Cal said back then and I'm paraphrasing "the NCAA can do this to me but it's going to come back to haunt them someday when a coach that they like is caught blindsided by a similar situation that I was". That situation wouldn't necessarily force UL to part ways with Pitino but UL would be the first that I'm aware of to keep a coach under those circumstances
Different situation from either Memphis or Louisville (as they all are somewhat different) but Syracuse kept Boeheim and unless he feels like leaving, SMU will almost certainly keep cal's mentor - Larry Brown. Pretty sure the NCAA does not have the authority to tell a member institution that they have to terminate a coach - but for the most part in the most egregious situations - they don't need to, as the school typically makes that decision anyway. Whether or not they insinuate that they will make it harder on the school in terms of penalty is a better, yet unknown question.

We'll never know but I wonder if Memphis would have terminated calipari if he had stayed and received a show cause and even more interesting is whether or not uk would have terminated him if he had received a show cause after his accepting that job. My guesses are No and no.

Actually, you are wrong.

The basketball program was held accountable, not Calipari. The school had to vacate the wins because a player was considered ineligible and should not have played. If the school cannot claim the wins, neither can the coach or the players. However, if you read his bio on his own website, he claims the 38 wins of the 2008 season at Memphis. Tons of other UK fans who post on this site like to remind us that the NCAA cleared him for what happened at Memphis.

But you are right that "nobody likes him."

Hey. . . what if Andre (still a young hormone raging guy himself) just used his own money. He was making good money, so why is it so hard to believe he did this on his own? Nobody ever wants to accept that as a possibility because the conspiracy stuff is so much more juicy.

Hey. . . what if Andre (still a young hormone raging guy himself) just used his own money. He was making good money, so why is it so hard to believe he did this on his own? Nobody ever wants to accept that as a possibility because the conspiracy stuff is so much more juicy.
So what would McGee get from that. Satisfaction of college kids watching strippers that he paid for?

So what would McGee get from that. Satisfaction of college kids watching strippers that he paid for?

Maybe in his misguided thought process he figured it could help and build his reputation as a recruiter. Maybe he just liked strippers (hell, I got nothing against strippers either). The point is, I don't know why Andre would do it - but that doesn't mean he was instructed to do it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT