ADVERTISEMENT

Jurich Press Release

Your post is incoherent and I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

Regardless of that, I'll spell things out. It is possible to love UofL athletics and Tom Jurich but be disappointed in specific actions. You seem to think that a fan should blindly follow all things UofL.

Not at all. The program is rocking. I'd be disappointing if it wasn't. We're doing great in every sport. So what's to be disappointed about? --ESPN doesn't like us? So what. Some fools are calling for heads over it. I don't think those people understand what kind of system they root for...

But apparently we did.

So what do we do?

Some are acting like we stole the Nuclear launch codes.

If it is that big a deal, what makes it "right"? Somebody's got to go. Ramsey's gone. So now who?

Jurich? Petrino?

If not them, then how big a deal is it really?

Be careful what you wish for.

Not sure that I would trust this bunch of keystone cops with nuclear launch codes. We would surely annihilate ourselves.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
But a high # of his players have been. The hypocritical moral police are out today!

The point was that Stoops himself hasn't come under fire for wrongdoing. Stoops hasn't been tied to any scandals.

Are you saying that because those kids got in trouble, Stoops should be held accountable? Should a coach in a major sport always know and be held accountable for that actions of his players? If those players do something bad, should the coach face repercussions?

So, if Calipari is caught with a book full of Georgia's plays, you're not yelling crooked Cal?

I went to U of L med school, and at some point as an alum this adds up.

Say what you want about no bad publicity, everyone on ESPN seems to disagree.

Georgia? They haven't run anything even resembling plays since Wimp Sanderson was there coaching Sprewell and Horry. Good try though.

Reactions: Cats192
I think you're wrong on Barker. I think Barker got jumped after another player hit someone. Not saying it didn't happen, but I don't think it was Barker.

Yeah, I'm not familiar with any other incident except for the EKU player jumping Barker, which was caught on video.

Could be wrong though and I don't care enough to look it up. lol

You're confusing Alabama and Georgia. Either way, college sports is dirty and fans should be able to weigh which issues are more important than others. WF has an angry ex employee that's the issue.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
I don't understand your desire to stand up for them. When you hire a coach with a past scandal, do you not have a no tolerance policy going forward?

It's hard to compare Stoops to Petrino because of the lack of high level success of the UK football program. U of L spent the season being talked about as a possible CFP team and the question is do they get in the top 4. UK's question was would they get to a bowl game. Stoops also hasn't been in any trouble

So for the sake of argument--Calipari has some questions in his past. Calipari runs a high level program. Would you not be laughing at UK fans if they were standing by cheatin' Cal? You'd make jokes about "We said you'd have to take them banners down 1 day!"

But when your own coach does it--you need to stand by him? Why? Do you not want better representation of your university? If you're not affiliated and only care about the sports, and only care about wins and losses, I get it. But if you went there, if you have that kind of connection, if you have ongoing involvement--how are you ok with this--especially in the wake of all of the other black eyes?

Look Bubba, I am not the least bit happy with what has been happening in our program lately. But your now all of a sudden upstanding coach is the ONLY one in NCAA history, to have two programs final fours vacated. He's also been outed in polls of other college coaches as being the slimiest recruiter in the country. And furthermore, every one of you thought Cal was a cheater at Memphis (and he was) . But that is all now forgiven being that he now does his dirty deeds for you. And don't try taking the moral high road with him either. It's common knowledge that he was porking Nolan Cromwell's wife when he was an assistant at Kansas under honest Larry Brown.

Last edited:
And a high number of Stoops players are no longer on the team. Hatcher is gone, Tubman is gone and he was found innocent.

I'm as upset about everything that's happening as you Kratz. But to be fair, Hatcher was busted with more than a pound of weed.and Tubman would have been allowed back on the football team had not the student review board expelled him from the University.

So, if Calipari is caught with a book full of Georgia's plays, you're not yelling crooked Cal?

You went to our med school but your allegiance is with BBN. My wife got her Masters at UK and her hate is far worse then my mere dislike of UK. Discredited. But to your point yes I'm sure we would be yelling crooked cal. Goes with the rival. This isn't just UL issue this is much bigger. This is a part of college FB. Are you going to tell us that Lamar Thomas didn't inform Stoops of our plays. That would be the same wouldn't it?

You went to our med school but your allegiance is with BBN. My wife got her Masters at UK and her hate is far worse then my mere dislike of UK. Discredited. But to your point yes I'm sure we would be yelling crooked cal. Goes with the rival. This isn't just UL issue this is much bigger. This is a part of college FB. Are you going to tell us that Lamar Thomas didn't inform Stoops of our plays. That would be the same wouldn't it?

I think having info from a hire is a totally different thing than acquiring them from a 3rd hand source.

The coach switching teams issue isn't perfect, but it's a part of the game all across the board.

Acquiring plays from someone you're not affiliated with? Seems a lot different. And I think that's why we're seeing more outrage.

Yeah, I'm not familiar with any other incident except for the EKU player jumping Barker, which was caught on video.

Could be wrong though and I don't care enough to look it up. lol
That player (a former uk player who transferred to EKU) sucker punched barker after barker and 2-3 other yut players beat the dog crap out of a EKU player at a Richmond bar. Not that it's a headline but, barker was not 21 at the time.

The point was that Stoops himself hasn't come under fire for wrongdoing. Stoops hasn't been tied to any scandals.

Are you saying that because those kids got in trouble, Stoops should be held accountable? Should a coach in a major sport always know and be held accountable for that actions of his players? If those players do something bad, should the coach face repercussions?
Maybe you should ask Art Briles that question. Or, Jim Tressel. Or closer to home - Sweaty Cal - if he hadn't been one step ahead of those umass and Memphis scandals.

Look Bubba, I am not the least bit happy with what has been happening in our program lately. But your now all of a sudden upstanding coach is the ONLY one in NCAA history, to have two programs final fours vacated. He's also been outed in polls of other college coaches as being the slimiest recruiter in the country. And furthermore, every one of you thought Cal was a cheater at Memphis (and he was) . But that is all now forgiven being that he now does his dirty deeds for you. An don't try taking the moral high road with him either. It's common knowledge that he was porking Nolan Cromwell's wife when he was an assistant at Kansas under honest Larry Brown.
But, but, but - he doesn't need to cheat at uk AND, he goes to mass every day!

Note - This is the reversal of settled yut thinking on Pitino, who never cheated on anything or ANYBODY while in Lexington. It was only after he left that his baser instincts were allowed to appear. :rolleyes:

Reactions: TDredbird
I think having info from a hire is a totally different thing than acquiring them from a 3rd hand source.

The coach switching teams issue isn't perfect, but it's a part of the game all across the board.

Acquiring plays from someone you're not affiliated with? Seems a lot different. And I think that's why we're seeing more outrage.
So according to you, paying for said insider information is allowable but if it comes as part of casual conversation, that's when it's wrong?

That clears a lot up for me...

I'm as upset about everything that's happening as you Kratz. But to be fair, Hatcher was busted with more than a pound of weed.and Tubman would have been allowed back on the football team had not the student review board expelled him from the University.

I get all that. The point is that these are PLAYERS and UK is disciplining them. We don't have a player problem. All of our recent issues are STAFF related. The players appear cleaner than the staff right now. The dorms was about a staff member. Football is about staff. Jurichs statement didn't help any. It basically ended with a "so what? FU"

With Petrinos and Pitinos past, they both need to keep it extra clean because their past actions have made them media targets.

Cal has a slimy past. However, he's kept it clean at UK from what everyone can tell. His players stay out of trouble, and he's not been implicated in anything other than baseless allegations that no one actually had a shred of proof on (Davis' father wanting $250k).

If Cal can keep it clean looking, why can't our guys?

Do you not see how much it sucks that as of now, Cal is cleaner than either of our head coaches? Let that one sink in for a bit..............

If I knew that everything the worriers use as evidence--the talking heads, the press releases, NCAA findings, you name it--was objective and accurate, I might side more with them on issues like this latest one.

But I'm not sure there's ever been a time in the history of mankind when info is as biased and in need of filtering as it is today. Before I put anyone on trial that is the object of critical info, I first put on trial the purveyor of that info. It ain't quite a "shoot the messenger" mindset, but it's for damn sure a "don't necessarily believe the messenger" posture.

And that sort of scrutiny and skepticism keeps you from jumping to the wrong conclusions even if it may let someone go unpunished. ...Which isn't likely when true guilt is involved, because you don't need bias and an agenda when true facts are stacked against someone; the facts alone get an indictment...

I get all that. The point is that these are PLAYERS and UK is disciplining them. We don't have a player problem. All of our recent issues are STAFF related. The players appear cleaner than the staff right now. The dorms was about a staff member. Football is about staff. Jurichs statement didn't help any. It basically ended with a "so what? FU"

With Petrinos and Pitinos past, they both need to keep it extra clean because their past actions have made them media targets.

Cal has a slimy past. However, he's kept it clean at UK from what everyone can tell. His players stay out of trouble, and he's not been implicated in anything other than baseless allegations that no one actually had a shred of proof on (Davis' father wanting $250k).

If Cal can keep it clean looking, why can't our guys?

Do you not see how much it sucks that as of now, Cal is cleaner than either of our head coaches? Let that one sink in for a bit..............

I sadly agree with everything you said pertaining to our coaches unfortunately. And certainly Jurich's response left me thinking WTF. But to say Cals players stay out of trouble isn't true. They are just protected to a higher degree.Terrance Jones walked away from a traffic accident (presumably drunk) with nothing being done about it, even though it's a crime to leave the scene of an accident. Derek Willis is found outside the drivers side door passed out drunk and nothing is done. UK protects bball players to the extreme, unlike their football counterparts. I'm not making excuses for what has transpired at our school in any way. It drives me crazy.

It seems that your standard of cleanliness is 'guilt by association'. If that is the case, as long as Sweaty Cal has WWW on speed dial, he'll still be dirtier..

Great piece by Eric Crawford. Again he does a great job summing up things:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) — Contrary to what you may have read, University of Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich is not the Worst. Person. Ever. And contrary to many University of Louisville sports fans I have talked (and Tweeted) with today, he is not infallible.

Jurich, in my experience at Louisville, hasn’t made many mistakes. He has made some. He made one when he hired that one football coach. And he made one on Wednesday, when he tried to address his football staff’s receiving of game plan information leaked by a Wake Forest radio analyst.

I’ve tried for much of the day to get a feel for how that statement came to happen. That statement, which acknowledged that offensive coordinator Lonnie Galloway got “a few plays” from Wake Forest radio analyst Tommy Elrod, then shared them with the defensive staff, did not put out the flame around this story. It poured gasoline on it, not so much because of the seriousness of the infraction -- and it is a breach of ethics -- but because of the dismissive tone Jurich’s statement carried toward it.

It was a mistake. It was wrong in its expression. It was wrong in its conclusion. Shoot, if you’re a public relations professional, you could even argue it was wrong in its execution.

There was no apology. There was no punishment handed down. There was no hint of awareness that this kind of action is wrong.

Jurich will have to own that statement. If he got advice on it, it was bad advice.

I haven’t spoken to Jurich. I’ve spoken to several sources at the university. One told me that the statement was, first and foremost, an effort by Jurich to be timely, and to acknowledge quickly that he had found evidence that a football staffer had been in communication with Elrod, and that he had apparently taken some information, but that it was negligible in nature.

But then, instead of moving on to an apology, there was some junk about “undue attention” on the coaching staff. Might as well just light a fuse for national media. And the heat coming Jurich’s way — from national writers who have been pretty complimentary of him in the past — has been intense.

University sources also told me that Jurich continues to look into this matter. That he learned of it with a phone call from the Wake Forest athletic director Monday night during a Heisman Trophy gala in New York City. He returned Tuesday to question football staffers, and asked more questions on Wednesday. Whether Louisville has yet received the full report Wake Forest generated or any written materials, I don’t know.

But I was told today by one university source, “ethical questions are something that Tom does take seriously.” That wasn’t communicated in the statement.

Sometimes, I feel like I’m in the wrong line of work. Is there money in writing apologies? Like the rest of us, probably, I’m terrible at writing my own. I’m as big a jerk as anybody when I screw it up and have to apologize. But, boy, am I good at writing these things for other people.

From that perspective, think about what might’ve happened had Jurich said and issued something like this:

“Our offensive coordinator accepted game plan information from a person with ties to the Wake Forest football program. Nothing I have found demonstrates that our football team benefited from this information. But the coach’s intent was to benefit from that information and it was wrong. The basic principles of athletic competition at U of L stand for the highest ideals in sportsmanship. One of the primary objectives of competition is to develop and foster respect for fellow participants, coaches, officials and spectators. Because of that, I am suspending the offensive and defensive coordinators for the upcoming bowl game, and will consider other action as deemed appropriate by the ACC commissioner. But more than that, I want to issue an apology to Wake Forest University, its players, its coaches, its fans and its administration, on behalf of University of Louisville athletics, and I would like to apologize to our own university community. I have further instructed football coach Bobby Petrino to personally apologize on behalf of his staff to Wake Forest coach Dave Clawson and his players, and I have mandated a course in ethics and sportsmanship training for our football coaching staff. I find this incident personally embarrassing, and not in keeping with our values as a department or as a university.”

Jurich says that, Louisville takes its medicine in the national media, for a day, maybe two. Petrino apologizes, and it’s on to the bowl game.

Instead, Petrino is facing increased scrutiny, and Jurich himself is in the crosshairs of the national media.

Those two lines in the statement I wrote in italics are there for a reason. They’re lifted from the U of L Student Athlete Code of Conduct. Yes, the school has one of those and every athlete must sign it.

Among the many items in that 40-page document is this one, under the “Academic Dishonesty” heading, subsection “Cheating,” that prohibits student-athletes from, “Procuring or using tests or examinations, or any other information regarding the content of a test or examination, before the scheduled exercise without prior authorization.”

I know a football game isn’t an exam. But this is what Louisville coaches did. They got the plays, from a source affiliated with an opposing team, before the game was played.

That’s not cool. In the past 24 hours, I’ve heard every form of ethical equivalence you can imagine.

— Other schools do it. This is a fallacious argument.

— Coaches call each other for scouting information all the time. (That’s fine. If Bobby Petrino called up Dave Clawson and said, “About these plays you guys were thinking about running against us, I have a few questions,” we’d not be having this conversation.)

— Coaches change jobs and give inside information all the time. That’s fine. But if they give away specific game plan information on the school they're working for, it isn’t fine, nor is it fine to take that and use it.

Reactions: Kratz
If I go on with these, we’ll be here for a while. I get, if you’re a Louisville fan, you’re tired of seeing your school dragged through the mud. I get that you think you’re being piled on unfairly because of Petrino’s past and other scandals at the school. Some of that is probably true.

But this is not the hill you want to take a stand on. This is not what you want your school to stand for. You defend this, you give even more ammunition to critics who believe that a win-at-all-costs culture has taken over.

I think what you’ll see in the future, is Jurich speak again about this subject, and use more serious language, and perhaps take more serious action. I don’t think we’ve seen the last of this issue, because I think more details will emerge as the public records process takes its course.

Now, one more issue. Context is everything. And nothing that happens with the University of Louisville these days stands on its own.

I need to give you a bias on my part. My bias is for the University of Louisville as an institution. Not its sports teams. Not its star coaches. And I should say, I have the same bias for the University of Kentucky as an institution, and Western Kentucky and all the others. These places, I will tell you, I want to succeed and thrive. Higher education is the answer to a good three-quarters of the problems we have in this state, and in this city. We have no more valuable institutions than these. In every case, these schools are far more than their athletic programs, and far more than any single scandal that fires up. There is a bigger picture, always.

In the case of U of L, my history with it extends far beyond the reach of most — though not all — involved in its athletic department. And it extends far beyond athletics into buildings and offices and people you never see in the news.

So everything I say is said with that bias — I want what is good for that university, because the success of that university — not its sports teams, but the university itself — is good for the city. I can get web hits and TV viewers whether the teams are winning or losing. But if the university struggles, it’s bad for everyone.

In a television segment this week, I said I feel bad for faculty, staff and students who have to deal with the embarrassment of these kinds of episodes. I feel bad for fans who have to see the program they support so loyally trashed. I feel bad for acting president Neville Pinto, who has been dropped into the middle of a ring of wildfires and is having to manage them all before turning the keys over to someone once they’ve been put out.

These aren’t just sports problems. He has the question of the board of trustees, the school’s accreditation, Foundation problems, including a forensic audit. Two football players were shot Saturday night at an off-campus party. One of them, James Hearns, was a defensive leader all season. Neither Bobby Petrino nor Tom Jurich has so much as expressed any public support.

Then the athletic director issues a statement about a surreptitiously obtained game plan and the university again is back on the front burner, with the heat turned up.

If I were Pinto, at least until some of these fires are extinguished, after this fiasco, no major statement would come from any major university source without first going through the school’s main media office.

And secondly, the athletic department should understand what any academic department on that campus would be able to tell you outright without a second thought — taking a secretly obtained opponent game plan and attempting to use it for a competitive advantage is wrong. The university sets its standards, and they are to be upheld throughout the university, even in sports. If the coaches have a problem with that, all a president or athletic director have to do is post a job notice with the words, “Who wants to coach a Heisman winner?”

This university has to stop tripping over stumbling blocks that it has put into its own way. it can’t even enjoy the remarkable accomplishment of winning a Heisman Trophy without brushfires taking up the oxygen back home.

This is not the fault of the media. It was Jurich looking out of touch with the university culture and being defiant instead of deferential.

One of the great things about working for Tom Jurich is loyalty. He will go to bat for you. Coaches know they will not be hung out to dry. All of that is well and good.

What I don’t see as often is coaches being loyal to Jurich. If you’re an assistant football coach at Louisville, and you know the big picture at the university, and you know Petrino’s history and the scrutiny he is under, you don’t get anywhere near some worthless bunch of information from a Wake Forest radio guy, even if it’s your friend.

If you’re loyal to Tom Jurich, you’re vigilant to repay the loyalty he has shown you by not having the NCAA show up at his doorstep, or the media at its throat. You do the right things.

Frankly, Jurich went out too far on a limb here for Petrino and his staff, and the limb broke.

I’m not saying he’s a victim. Nobody at U of L is a victim in this Wake Forest deal.

One more thing sources at Louisville told me — there’s a lot of anger in the department at criticism being thrown at the program. That’s natural. You’re always a bit angry and defensive when criticized. But in this case, Jurich would be well-served by turning some of that anger inward and getting his people locked down.

His athletic department, and his university, can’t afford this kind of thing right now. It already has squandered a wealth of national goodwill over Lamar Jackson’s Heisman.

This is a program that should be celebrating its arrival in the big time. It is hardly acting like it.

When a radio guy calls from Wake Forest peddling game-plan info the sound on the other end of the phone, if you’re a bit-time program, is laughter. If you feel like you need that edge to win, you’re not big-time enough to coach at Louisville. Not anymore.

I know there are fans defending this as business as usual. I also know there is a silent majority of fans, alumni, students, faculty, staff and administrators who are looking at this cycle of scandal and saying insistently: Make it stop.

And in that effort, the words “by any means necessary” are applicable.

Great stuff knuckle. And as usual, a very spot on piece by Crawford.

Jurich screwed up in trying to help in a situation where some of his coaches screwed up.

Jurich has been here for a lot of years and this is the second mistake I can recall him making (Kragthorpe being the other). 2 screw ups in that amount of time is a damn good record. But he did screw up on this one.

It seems that your standard of cleanliness is 'guilt by association'. If that is the case, as long as Sweaty Cal has WWW on speed dial, he'll still be dirtier..

Not in national perception right now. He might be dirty as hell, but you don't see any of the media talking about hookers in his dorms, stolen plays in his possession, etc. The only press he gets is for the classes he signs. The only bad press he gets is people wondering if he's underachieving with all that talent and only 1 ring to show for it.

Tell me I'm wrong........................

Not in national perception right now. He might be dirty as hell, but you don't see any of the media talking about hookers in his dorms, stolen plays in his possession, etc. The only press he gets is for the classes he signs. The only bad press he gets is people wondering if he's underachieving with all that talent and only 1 ring to show for it.

Tell me I'm wrong........................
You're not wrong so tell us all exactly how you plan on fixing this issue instead of the constant complaining and frankly 'whining' about something you nor I or anyone else not named Tom Jurich can do about it?

Your stance is crystal clear Jeff. You have two options. Accept it, or come out of the closet and go join the UofK fan base full time.

You're not wrong so tell us all exactly how you plan on fixing this issue instead of the constant complaining and frankly 'whining' about something you nor I or anyone else not named Tom Jurich can do about it?

Your stance is crystal clear Jeff. You have two options. Accept it, or come out of the closet and go join the UofK fan base full time.

"Come out of the closet" ........... The last act of a desperate person with nothing left to give in a losing argument. Accuse the other of being an imposter for the rival. Thanks for that. Let's me know that my point is getting through and resonating somewhere.

I'm doing the only thing I can do: Protesting and making my case in a public forum. That's the extent of the power that I have.

Why do I have to accept it or cheer for UK? Why can't I demand change? Apparently changing the culture of the staff isn't an option to you? You good with things the way they are?

"Come out of the closet" ........... The last act of a desperate person with nothing left to give in a losing argument. Accuse the other of being an imposter for the rival. Thanks for that. Let's me know that my point is getting through and resonating somewhere.

I'm doing the only thing I can do: Protesting and making my case in a public forum. That's the extent of the power that I have.

Why do I have to accept it or cheer for UK? Why can't I demand change? Apparently changing the culture of the staff isn't an option to you? You good with things the way they are?
What argument? I'm not arguing with you Jeff. I even said you were not wrong. You can demand all you want as far as I am concerned, but I'm going to let you in on a little secret Jeff. Your demands don't mean chit. Is any of this sinking in? You can cry and whine and demand until you turn BLUE. It won't change a thing.

CAL has been caught every place he has been.

How come we don't just let this whole thing drop since we've paid our $25 grand. Let's just move on and be thankful for OU and the other Stoops.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT