ADVERTISEMENT

Junior Bridgeman Has Eyes Set On Owning Sports Illustrated

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Junior Bridgeman has never appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated, but his name might soon appear on its masthead.

The former University of Louisville basketball star, who has become one of the sports world’s richest retirees, has emerged as a serious bidder for a storied magazine struggling with secular change.

“It’s an iconic brand,” Bridgeman said Sunday morning. “The next part of our analysis is there are other things, other areas that we can go. ... (But) In this world, you can’t be overly optimistic.”

Still standing are Bridgeman and, according to a source with the magazine, a group that includes Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert and motivational speaker Tony Robbins. There may be others. Though he expects to know more by the middle of the month, Bridgeman was not sure where he stood as of Sunday.

In 2016, Forbes estimated that Bridgeman was the fourth highest-paid retired athlete, behind Michael Jordan, David Beckham and the late Arnold Palmer, with an annual income of $32 million. His net worth has been pegged at $600 million by TheRichest.com.

Why would you wanna own print media? Does SI have a growing ebusiness?...

It’s pretty easy to make, and understand, you point zipp. But I’m having a tough time being dubious of anything Junior does business wise. I’m quite sure he has a “tentative plan” in place to deal with the competition from the internet. Just think what possibly could happen if Junior’s plan were to actually work out in his favor. For sure SI would be moved out of NYC simply because of the incredible “rent expense” of being in that environment plus you simply don’t need to be in NYC to report nationwide news OR sports any longer.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

The whole magazine industry is struggling for its existence! It is dieing a slow death as we are speaking. The times they are a changing.

Does the SI website have a pay-wall? What's their business model, advertising?...

Just curious why Junior hasn’t stepped in or stepped up his contributions to the University?
How do you know he hasn't? Serious question. Is there a place to go look at who has given and how much to UofL?

How do you know he hasn't? Serious question. Is there a place to go look at who has given and how much to UofL?
Honest, wasn’t being subversive. Just at this point when the University is down on sponsors and with the recent events with PJ’s, I was just wondering? I really didn’t know he was that well off, but I thought if he was looking around to put his money, why not at your Alma mater unless he has some reasons.

We're getting further OT, but the best thing Junior could have done for U of L was hang in there with the management group and assert himself. Turning tail didn't help keep the goons we have now from taking control...

We're getting further OT, but the best thing Junior could have done for U of L was hang in there with the management group and assert himself. Turning tail didn't help keep the goons we have now from taking control...

A good point zipp but he did have a good reason for his “moving on”. Family and business concerns kind of collided all at once for him and he chose his family and business. I believe that is very legitimate,

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT