ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Scrubb to test NBA draft waters

Per the CJ:

Jay Scrubb, a junior-college star and class of 2020 Louisville men's basketball signee, will take part in the NBA Draft's evaluation process during the offseason before deciding whether to join the Cardinals or go pro this summer.

Scrubb's father, Jason Scrubb, said his son has not yet chosen whether to sign with an agent and close the door the prospect of joining Louisville, which has two other class of 2020 signees. He wants to hear feedback from NBA personnel, though, and decide "if it’s in his best interest to sign."

"He wants to be a pro athlete, but he does love Louisville,".

Scrubb, a 6-foot-6 wing and the top-rated JUCO player in the country, has made it known in the past that he intended to go through the evaluation process during the 2020 offseason. Wednesday's announcement was no surprise. Scrubb's father told The CJ last October that his son, a Louisville native who played high school basketball at Trinity, would test the waters and, "if he's not in a lottery position he'll come back to school."

Scrubb has spent the last two seasons at John A. Logan College in Illinois, where he rocketed onto the professional radar with a breakout freshman season and averaged 21.9 points and 6.8 rebounds per game as a sophomore in 2019-20. He told The CJ in November that Louisville coach Chris Mack told him he would be leaned on as a primary scorer for the Cardinals in 2020-21.

David Johnson and more David Johnson for 2021, with a side dish of Malik Williams.

Scrubb staying in will make Darius Perry leaving hurt a bit more. We still have a lot of talent, but none of its proven or very experienced.

In an interview, he said he’d be fine learning in the G League. I think it’s pretty clear he doesn’t plan on attending UofL. Some great opportunities for a grad transfer. It makes the Perry departure a little more surprising.

I'm not counting my chickens with Malik Williams either...

The whole COVID-19 outbreak adds another layer, MONEY. If a kids family loses work or say a parent’s 401k loses a lot during this time, G-League money is better than no money.

I don’t know anyone’s situation, but use Malik for example. His stock probably won’t change in the next year, does his family need him to start making the money now? He may already have his degree or he darn close where he can finish.

That’s an element beyond the draft that no one is considering.

Cole Anthony, who is projected to be a top 5 draft pick is delaying his decision to enter the draft.
Cole is a diffrent case than all the other college nba hoppefuls. His father is Greg Anthony former NBA star he will get all the correct and accurate info on his status. Not too mention he good on finances.

Bet he wears Cardinal red next year. Just a hunch.

Although I have always dreamt of playing for Louisville, my ultimate dream has always been to play in the NBA. If I'm given an opportunity to get drafted, I’m going to take it.

To be clear, you have plans to enter your name in the 2020 NBA Draft?

Yes, I am going to enter my name in the 2020 NBA Draft

Are you going to sign with an agent?

Yes, my dad and I have talked to a number of agents and I will be deciding who I’m signing with soon.

There is significant uncertainty looming in regards to how this year’s NBA pre-draft process will unfold and when the NBA draft will actually happen. If there ends up not being an opportunity for individual workouts with teams and the NBA Draft Combine were to be canceled, would that concern you?

I would prefer to have those opportunities but I can’t control any of that. I’m just doing what I can to improve during this time and worst-case scenario I hope I can get some opportunities to speak to NBA general managers and staff so that they can get to know me as a person

What role do you envision yourself playing in the NBA?

I think I'm capable of contributing right away but I’m willing to do whatever it takes to help my team win. If that means being on the floor and making plays or sitting on the bench rooting on my teammates — I’ll do whatever the team asks me to do.

If an NBA team decides to draft you and next season they assign you to spend time with their G-League affiliate, how would you feel about that?

I would look at it as an opportunity to learn and improve. I’m planning on playing this game for a long time. If a team drafts me I will follow their lead in how they want to develop me as a player.

He’s not going to be able to work out with teams
That was discussed today on a radio show. Players are working out with a coach passing them balls. They use sanitizer, spray the balls and wipe them off, and do individual things. Then they have someone there to video it. That’s supposedly how it’s being done.

i never thought Scrubb would play for U of L.

our team is going to be very weak next year unless we get some good transfer players.

No crystal ball here but he's listed in the early 2nd round most everywhere so it seems he may take the G league path. The virus impact has a lot of variables making things even fuzzier than they normally are. This time last year a lot of us guessed wrong on the staying/going predictions.

I am always amazed when guys leave early and end up playing in the G league or going to Europe for a couple of years. After 2 years they find out the NBA says they’re not good enough and they end up looking for a job in the private sector.

There is no big guy on this team right now bigger, stronger or better than Earl Clarke and he struggled at the next level. I like Malik Williams and think he would have a chance if he puts in the work. Right now he would get eaten up at the professional level.

Mack said this week that Malik is "getting feedback." If it matters, his draft stock is as high now as it's gonna be. I'd peg his chances at returning as 50-50...
Where is he projected? He is probably a UDFA at this point. Wasn’t anywhere near the boards I’ve seen. Since when did you not want 4 year guys?

Mack said this week that Malik is "getting feedback." If it matters, his draft stock is as high now as it's gonna be. I'd peg his chances at returning as 50-50...
Malik Williams will be a Card next year, your glass is half empty.

Starting to see Scrubb sneak into 1st round over on NBA Draft.net FWIW... feels like him joining the Cards should be viewed as a bonus, got to believe he's leaning towards staying in the draft though I admit I don't know this guy or any of his friends/family. Just guessing!

The decision deadline got pushed back to help the players make better decisions but unfortunately not sure how it's going to work out for the kids this year.

Where is he projected? He is probably a UDFA at this point. Wasn’t anywhere near the boards I’ve seen. Since when did you not want 4 year guys?
It's not just about where Williams is projected this year. It's where he's gonna be projected this year vs next year, i.e., is he gonna be that much better professionally with another year in college?

Williams has just witnessed two examples firsthand of that issue--Nwora and Enoch--for guys about his age/experience. They didn't much improve their stock by returning for another year, and they lost a year of income.

It's not about what I and other fans want. 95% of this decision is what the player wants professionally. Too many fans can't comprehend that, and it's why so many are disappointed this time of year...

It's not just about where Williams is projected this year. It's where he's gonna be projected this year vs next year, i.e., is he gonna be that much better professionally with another year in college?

Williams has just witnessed two examples firsthand of that issue--Nwora and Enoch--for guys about his age/experience. They didn't much improve their stock by returning for another year, and they lost a year of income.

It's not about what I and other fans want. 95% of this decision is what the player wants professionally. Too many fans can't comprehend that, and it's why so many are disappointed this time of year...
The difference is that Nwora and Enoch were already starting last year. Malik will now have the benefit of being the feature guy getting 30-35 mins a game. I think he will improve his stock being in that situation and given that he is a hustle player unlike Enoch.

Malik was a good player for us but he did get pushed around quite a bit. If he can add some by working out he could improve his stick quite a bit. He would really get beat up at the next level right now.

The difference is that Nwora and Enoch were already starting last year. Malik will now have the benefit of being the feature guy getting 30-35 mins a game. I think he will improve his stock being in that situation and given that he is a hustle player unlike Enoch.
If he returns, I hope he does improve his stock because we will benefit from that as will he. But the LIKELIHOOD of that happening is small, as the other two guys found out. It's why guys make the jump as soon as they think they have maxed out at this level.

I understand that reasoning. And if I'm looking at it from the player's vantage point--the 95% factor--it's the right decision. Enoch and Nwora came back to college HOPING, and they mostly wasted a year of professional income.

Williams was getting the quality minutes at the five position by season's end. Next time you hear a scout or franchise manager talking, see if the guy says it matters whether a college player gets to start or how much PT he gets...

Right now Malik has 0 NBA Draft stock, I haven't seen him in the 1st or 2nd round on any board. I don't see him in either round in NEXT year's mock drafts either. But I admit I haven't seen all the boards.

And .... that 0 stock might be based on expectation that he's not entering the draft this year, so maybe if he put his name in there he'd pop up on a few radars....but I was surprised to see him not getting even a 2nd round look next year so not sure why he'd get drafted this year if he tried it.

I've always thought he makes for an under the radar prospect due to length and ability to shoot the 3.

There is history of guys in similar spots turning pro of course, and we've had a few. Jaylen Johnson, T Jennings, Samardo though he was a starter and highly touted player out of HS maybe not all that similar..... Deng Adel had some stats went for it and he didn't get drafted either. And honestly, those guys "physically" were better prospects at the time they turned pro maybe.... Malik still needs more muscle, but he's got that 6-11 which the other guys listed didn't have.

But every player is different. Every draft is different. Hell who the agent is might factor into it. Scouts also tend to lie, especially about fringe types of players. So who knows what stock a player has outside the mid 1st round?

It's all a big guess. Especially into what guys are looking for out of their lives at a certain time. Some stay some go.

No idea if Malik is staying or not but that ankle injury to end the season could also play a factor in him staying. His health was in question for the majority of the season. He missed the beginning due to a broken foot, wasn't 100% all season, then ends the season with a bad ankle sprain.

Of course that could also have the opposite effect and make him want to leave early so he doesn't get injured again so who knows?

AND who amongst us is surprised about Scrubb? I’m sure as hell not. From the get go it was obvious that he has been convinced that he is NBA ready. Maybe he is and maybe he isn’t but a year at UofL against outstanding P5 talent would have helped him find out. But, alas, it appears (surprise, surprise) that we ain’t gonna find out. I would guess that CCM knew this from the get-go. But accepted his LOI just to protect our local turf and that was the right thing to do.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: zipp
Scrubb is not coming never had intentions . And for those still in disbelief of his NBA intentions. You need to see his IG live interview he did SUnday nite. He was not too respectful to the U of L fanbase or city . Mack needs too just cut ties with him now if he hasn't already. Nothing but a bad problem in the making .

Reactions: zipp
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT