ADVERTISEMENT

Javian Hawkins - opting out. Turning pro

I figured Javian & Tutu were gone after the year, but this still hurts.

Thank you Javian. You stayed with us. You came in and experienced a NIGHTMARE first season under Bobby. You didn't transfer. You worked your BUTT off and as a freshman you came in and rushed for 1k. Helped us go from 2-10 to 8-5. You made big plays on every team, you didn't just beat up on the cupcakes. The defense & the offensive line weren't great and QB play was inconsistent, but you were always a champ.

Running-backs have a short "shelf-life" & he's already in year 3. One more year isn't gonna bump his stock, may only hurt it. Go make you money kid.

I'm gonna say this, if Bobby could recruit and develop an entire team rather than a few positions, we would've been a contender. Bobby/staff did have Becton, Greenard, Fitzpatrick, Cunningham, Tutu, & Hawkins all on his last roster. Imagine if he could've just had a below average offensive line & defense & not worst in the country level. It's now time for Scott to show what his talent can do, because the ones he inherited are leaving.

Reactions: CardsFirst
The program like many others, and many other things... feels like it's in shambles.

The Phoenix (Cardinal) rises from the ashes. From death comes life. Tear it down to build it back up with your players and system. Can he do what he did at Appie St? Time will tell....once the non compliant and non team players find another home.

Reactions: CardsFirst
LOL at the Petrino remarks. How many U of L true freshmen have made significant contributions at running back in recent memory? I've gone back a decade, and one kid ran for 200 yards as a freshman. That's it...

Last edited:
Reactions: RomanOben
LOL at the Petrino remarks. How many U of L true freshmen have made significant contributions at running back in recent memory? I've gone back a decade, and one kid ran for 200 yards as a freshman. That's it...

Furthermore, doesn’t BP get credit for recruiting and signing the kid? We have a large percentage of fans here who claim that he left the cupboard completely bare.

Furthermore, doesn’t BP get credit for recruiting and signing the kid? We have a large percentage of fans here who claim that he left the cupboard completely bare.

He was fantastic at recruiting offensive players. On the flip side, he did not do a good job recruiting defense.

Reactions: RomanOben
What Petrino remarks? I just said his Redshirt year was a nightmare as the program was collapsing and he chose to stay. Bobby had a great eye for talent, Tutu/Hawkins/Malik were his guys & now Scott has to prove he can replace them & win with his own talent.

The Phoenix (Cardinal) rises from the ashes. From death comes life. Tear it down to build it back up with your players and system. Can he do what he did at Appie St? Time will tell....once the non compliant and non team players find another home.
Amen brother. Time that’s what he needs. We need to be patient!

Reactions: Mayoman
What Petrino remarks? I just said his Redshirt year was a nightmare as the program was collapsing and he chose to stay. Bobby had a great eye for talent, Tutu/Hawkins/Malik were his guys & now Scott has to prove he can replace them & win with his own talent.
Let’s hope Sat and staff has an eye for the guys in the trenches. Because Bobby didn’t at least not many. Bobby could pick WR, RB, and QB can’t deny that

He did on defense. Can’t win without the D and I can argue the O line was weak also. Well besides a couple

Kid is a phenomenal talent. Hate to see kids make early jumps, but there are only so many football plays in a body. Good luck to him. I imagine every team will go through this.

I actually think it is a bad move on his part because I think a lot of players across the country are going to make the same move. I think he will get lost in the shuffle. Players with bigger names aren’t going to risk another year in college with the uncertainty of the pandemic. However I do understand his decision and wish him a lot of luck.

Perfect ending to a bad season. Can’t blame him even though he will be lucky to get drafted at that size.
I wish him the best but blocking for the quarterback during passing plays will be difficult for him. He has good running talent but size can be a detriment for protecting the quarterback against the size of the defense coming at him. I hope that someone has not gotten in his head about going pro now. We will miss him.

You are going to see a record number of players try and go pro this year. Some of these guys are going to be really disappointed.

Realistically at 2-6, what’s left to play for? Doubt he opts out if we were 6-2.
Well, if we take him for his word and it’s because he wants to get ready for the NFL draft, I still contend that playing live games against competition and contact is better than just lifting weights and running sprints. Plus he has no access to coaching... just my thoughts.

Reactions: BPGhost
Well, if we take him for his word and it’s because he wants to get ready for the NFL draft, I still contend that playing live games against competition and contact is better than just lifting weights and running sprints. Plus he has no access to coaching... just my thoughts.
Good take and I agree on it all except the contact part. As KN said earlier - the shelf life of a Rb is super short.

Reactions: gocds
Good take and I agree on it all except the contact part. As KN said earlier - the shelf life of a Rb is super short.
I understand that but I think the typical professional athlete doesn’t think like that. I’m sure they all think they are going to have long (for a football player) careers and make a lot of money like Emmitt Smith if you’re a RB. They don’t think, hey even if I blow my knee out in my first pro game, at least I’m a millionaire. Like death, no one knows when it’s their time. You just go out and do the thing you love. It’s when you don’t love what you’re doing or have doubts is when your career is cut short.

I understand that but I think the typical professional athlete doesn’t think like that. I’m sure they all think they are going to have long (for a football player) careers and make a lot of money like Emmitt Smith if you’re a RB. They don’t think, hey even if I blow my knee out in my first pro game, at least I’m a millionaire. Like death, no one knows when it’s their time. You just go out and do the thing you love. It’s when you don’t love what you’re doing or have doubts is when your career is cut short.

That mentality has changed especially for running backs. The NFL is cutthroat as hell and contracts aren’t guaranteed. If he were my son, I would have told him he’s making a wise move.

That mentality has changed especially for running backs. The NFL is cutthroat as hell and contracts aren’t guaranteed. If he were my son, I would have told him he’s making a wise move.
Why? Because you want him to buy you a house and a car? I get it at the end of a season. The bottom line is he quit. Like others said, don’t know if he would have done it if we were 6-2.

Why? Because you want him to buy you a house and a car? I get it at the end of a season. The bottom line is he quit. Like others said, don’t know if he would have done it if we were 6-2.

Because this season is a disaster (did you see our last game is now been moved to12/19) and he has done what he needs to do in college.

A good question is, do scouts and NFL franchises look negatively at a player that quits? It is true this is a much different season than any other. And I'm sure a good agent will help Hawkins communicate in depth answers to scouts if they ask why he quit, but I think just in general quitting could still carry a negative label to it.

At the end of the day it will be about his measurable‘s and his video, as it always is for the NFL. This is not a regular season and I don’t believe that his or any other player that opted out, no matter when they did so, will be - nor should be - held against them.

At least he played - he could’ve taken the Rondale Moore approach.

“At least he played - he could’ve taken the Rondale Moore approach.”

Before someone else chimes in, Rondale opted back in and is playing.

Anyways though, we’ve seen a huge trend of players opting out of bowl games and I don’t believe it’s harmed draft status.

Anyways though, we’ve seen a huge trend of players opting out of bowl games and I don’t believe it’s harmed draft status.
Bowl games yes, middle of season no.

I stand corrected. Shows how closely I follow boil football.

What about a season where games are routinely being rescheduled or canceled and your team won’t make a bowl unless they are slotted into one because so many other schools opt out?
Look, I’m just a fan. Really my opinion doesn’t really count. The only people that do are Javian, his teammates, his coach and his family. I’m sure to the man most of his teammates support his decision. I think what’s telling is that his head coach didn’t initially think it was a good idea and tried to talk him out of it. I’m old school that says enough for me. If I make a commitment to play a season, I finish it out unless I get injured. I don’t understand how his draft status changed so suddenly from when we were 1-4 to 2-6?

ADVERTISEMENT