ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson to Patriots at 23?

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
most common prediction is Lamar going to the Arizona Cardinals at 15 but crazy one is him going to the Pats at 23 after they just moved up to that spot with brandon cooks trade to rams. they have no backup qb and imagine lamar watching brady for two years. and honestly a good fit, lamar is not brash and always deflects praise to his teammates and coaches. no foot in the mouth speak. pats love that stuff

from charles robinson at yahoo sports

• From 2014 to 2016, former NFL executive Mike Lombardi worked for Belichick inside the Patriots franchise. During this time, Lombardi’s son Matt was an offensive assistant for the Louisville Cardinals. This gave Belichick a sustained flow of information on Jackson, not to mention the ability to process the data with Lombardi – who likely knows precisely what Belichick wants from a quarterback. Having an inside track is vital in any quarterback evaluation. And Belichick (who wrote the foreword to Lombardi’s forthcoming book, “Gridiron Genius”), undoubtedly has one when it comes to Jackson.

• While Brady and Jackson might be on opposite ends of the athletic spectrum, they share something where it truly counts: Both run a tweaked version of the Erhardt-Perkins offensive system. Former offensive coordinator Charlie Weis introduced the system to the Patriots, and current coordinator Josh McDaniels was groomed inside it – all while the scheme was tailored to fit Brady over the years. Meanwhile, Jackson ran a version of the same pro-style system at Louisville under Bobby Petrino. That gives Jackson familiarity with the formation/personnel/verbiage principles that have defined the New England offense for years. Having an understanding of how the Erhardt-Perkins system works would be a significant bonus for a rookie sharing a classroom with Brady, who is operating the scheme at an elite level.

most common prediction is Lamar going to the Arizona Cardinals at 15 but crazy one is him going to the Pats at 23 after they just moved up to that spot with brandon cooks trade to rams. they have no backup qb and imagine lamar watching brady for two years. and honestly a good fit, lamar is not brash and always deflects praise to his teammates and coaches. no foot in the mouth speak. pats love that stuff
I love the Patriots and Brady...Lamar wouldn't see a lick of PT there. He doesn't fit their system at all

I love the Patriots and Brady...Lamar wouldn't see a lick of PT there. He doesn't fit their system at all
belichik has proven he is the master at adapting to the new and i'm sure he would design an offense to highlight lamar's talents. he is considered the greatest coach in nfl history. he adapts for every single game so i'm sure he'd adapt to lamars skills

Reactions: The Public Enemy
belichik has proven he is the master at adapting to the new and i'm sure he would design an offense to highlight lamar's talents. he is considered the greatest coach in nfl history. he adapts for every single game so i'm sure he'd adapt to lamars skills

^^^^
This...

Brady wasn’t Brady early on....The Patriots played to their strength...and if Jackson goes to New England he isn’t expected to play for at least 2 years and he can sit and learn behind the G.O.A.T

Reactions: glassmanJ
In my opinion, he is the greatest coach in the game ....so you do have a point. Brady has a few more years in him. I don't care how athletic Lamar is, he isn't taking the reigns from the best QB to ever play the game .
He not even in the same universe as Brady .

In my opinion, he is the greatest coach in the game ....so you do have a point. Brady has a few more years in him. I don't care how athletic Lamar is, he isn't taking the reigns from the best QB to ever play the game .
He not even in the same universe as Brady .

Nobody is saying Jackson going to beat out Brady...that would be ridiculous.

But the Patriots have to plan for the future at QB since The GOAT is 41 years old and most see Jackson and Josh Allen need to sit completely their first year in the NFL.

Look at it like this...many feel both the Steelers with Big Ben and New Orleans with Drew Brees would take LJ with their 1st Round Pick for the same reason why the Patriots would

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
If the GOAT plays much longer he is gonna go out as ugly as some of the other GOATS did.

He should have taken the Manning route.

I agree 100%. NE runs one of the most complex offenses in the NFL. Their whole system is predicated on getting the ball out of the QB's hands in a hurry. That means the QB has to read the defense pre-snap and know where he is going with the ball. The receivers adjust routes post snap based on how the defense is defending the route. I just don't see LJ being effective in this offense. AT UL one of LJs biggest flaws was holding the ball too long. To me the best fit is the Bills who I believe will take him with the 12th pick. Rick Dennison's offensive scheme is much simpler.

If the GOAT plays much longer he is gonna go out as ugly as some of the other GOATS did.

He should have taken the Manning route.
He just went to a super bowl and lost because he played with a hurt hand....and you think he should retire now ? At least one more year....selfishly, so I can watch one of the greatest one more year.

I think that kid from Wyoming would.fit perfectly in the Patriots system. That kid could be another Brady with the right coach and offense.

^^^^
This...

Brady wasn’t Brady early on....The Patriots played to their strength...and if Jackson goes to New England he isn’t expected to play for at least 2 years and he can sit and learn behind the G.O.A.T
That’s what the last three heir apparents thought. We’ll see about Garoppolo. The rest have fizzled. Backup QB graveyard.

Meanwhile reports out of Boston...

The drumbeat of questions regarding Tom Brady’s eventual successor has grown steadily louder since the trade of Jimmy Garoppolo in October. One possible solution could be a quarterback in the upcoming 2018 draft.

And according to a recent report, the Patriots are interested in former Heisman Trophy winner Lamar Jackson.

Per Bleacher Report’s Mike Freeman, “the Patriots are the team most interested in Jackson.”

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-e...aft-rumors-patriots-interest-in-lamar-jackson

I think this is a strategic move by Brady. He knows he has about 2-3 years left of great play and then he will go out. He doesn’t see Jackson as a threat for that time and it fits his timeline perfectly.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
what also must be said is belichik is going to retire with brady and hand the reigns over to josh mcdanials who turned down the colts after patriots basically said he'd be the successor. he's the one who drafted tebow remember? now he's the one who will actually be drafting LJ with the intent of him being the man when brady retires. belichik will help mold LJ but mcdaniels will be his coach in two more years. big picture

Ray Lewis also chimes in....Agrees with Tom Brady..From the article:

Will the 2016 Heisman Trophy winner succeed in the NFL?

Two GOATs certainly think so.

Tom Brady might be the greatest quarterback of all-time with a completely different drop-back and stationary style, yet he went out of his way to comment on an Instagram post featuring NFL Network analyst Bucky Brooks suggesting that Jackson could be a strong option for Brady’s New England Patriots in the draft.

Brady replied, calling Jackson a “beast!!!!”

Ray Lewis, who is perhaps the greatest linebacker of all-time and defended countless successful NFL quarterbacks, laughed at the idea that Jackson is like Tim Tebow. Tebow is one of the most decorated college quarterbacks ever, but he only lasted three full seasons in the NFL.

“Tebow?!? No way,” Lewis exclaimed in the “Speak for Yourself” video below. “[Jackson’s] a complete football player at the quarterback position at every level. There is no weakness he has from the quarterback position.

“They said Michael Vick had the same problem. Jackson’s gift is making plays out of the pocket like Russell Wilson. Right? It’s a magic-man thing. They know in the front seven, nobody is going to be able to deal with them. I’m just telling you, I’ve watched this boy since he was a freshman. I studied this boy.”

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...id-Diggs/c7e02bd2-44f2-4832-8e28-d5d17a7aa6fc

He just went to a super bowl and lost because he played with a hurt hand....and you think he should retire now ? At least one more year....selfishly, so I can watch one of the greatest one more year.

I think that kid from Wyoming would.fit perfectly in the Patriots system. That kid could be another Brady with the right coach and offense.

The kid from Wyoming would not.....he just isn’t accurate and at this point-(Never threw for better than 56% while playing in the MWC...he is more Cam Newton than Tom Brady) is even more RAW than Jackson at this stage...and truth be told Louisville and New England both run a version of the Erhardt-Perkins System....and ppl forget the Patriots did Draft and play Jacoby Brissett 3 years ago.

Last edited:
Every time you see a team "raving" about a player a few weeks before the draft the only thing you know for sure is THEY WILL NOT DRAFT THAT PLAYER.

This is all a smoke screen in my opinion.

Brady may very well like LJ, but if Brady is being truly honest I'm sure he would much rather the team draft have an offensive skill player or a offensive lineman in the first round. His only concern, as he winds down his HOF career, is the short term success of the team.

I find it interesting that the Patriots are fluffing a QB prospect when every other team in their division will most likely draft a QB in the first round. I don't know the ultimate 'end play' for the Pats but something smells fishy about all of this.

The NFL draft is the ultimate poker game, and you don't get any benefit by letting the others know what you are holding before all the cards are dealt. Unless....you are bluffing!

Reactions: gobigblue812
Every time you see a team "raving" about a player a few weeks before the draft the only thing you know for sure is THEY WILL NOT DRAFT THAT PLAYER.

This is all a smoke screen in my opinion.

Brady may very well like LJ, but if Brady is being truly honest I'm sure he would much rather the team draft have an offensive skill player or a offensive lineman in the first round. His only concern, as he winds down his HOF career, is the short term success of the team.

I find it interesting that the Patriots are fluffing a QB prospect when every other team in their division will most likely draft a QB in the first round. I don't know the ultimate 'end play' for the Pats but something smells fishy about all of this.

The NFL draft is the ultimate poker game, and you don't get any benefit by letting the others know what you are holding before all the cards are dealt. Unless....you are bluffing!

Not so much disagreeing with you....but with 4 Picks In the Top 43 I do see the Patriots taking a QB with one of the picks-(they literally have no one behind Brady)...but at this point it would be a surprise if Jackson is still on the board @ 23rd....Most of the “experts” have him gone by 16th at worse to Baltimore....while others have pegged him to Buffalo or Arizona.

As for the Patriots they have been rumored with Jackson, Richmond QB Kyle Lauletta and Oklahoma State QB Mason Rudolph within one of the 4 Picks In the first two rounds

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT