ADVERTISEMENT

Ivy League moving all fall sports to spring

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
The Ivy League - home to the leading research universities in the country - will move all fall sports to the spring. They were also the first League to cancel their basketball conference tourney this past spring. I think you will see most if not all college sports moved to the spring. Unfortunately a lack of will to crush COVID these past few months is certainly starting it’s ripple effect into fall activities. It is a shame that wearing a mask and proper social distancing were not priorities for enough people.

Everywhere I go I see more and more and more people wearing masks.

And “cases” are still going up up up. But “deaths to cases” goes down.

Call me when we “get rid” of the Flu. According to webmd approximately 56,000 die EVERY year of “flu or flu like” illnesses.

Of course it skipped this year because Flu didn’t want to fight Covid and went on vacation. So did Pneumonia.

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/...rom-the-flu-each-year-and-how-is-it-prevented

Reactions: Mayoman
Everywhere I go I see more and more and more people wearing masks.

And “cases” are still going up up up. But “deaths to cases” goes down.

Call me when we “get rid” of the Flu. According to webmd approximately 56,000 die EVERY year of “flu or flu like” illnesses.

Of course it skipped this year because Flu didn’t want to fight Covid and went on vacation. So did Pneumonia.

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/...rom-the-flu-each-year-and-how-is-it-prevented

132k deaths in less than 4 months. Tens of thousands hospitalized. Hospital beds maxed out in areas of Florida, Texas and Arizona in the middle of the summer. Perhaps those areas are being hit hard because amongst other things there wasn’t accountability regarding wearing a f’ing mask.

I suggest you read “The Great Influenza” in between visits to webmd. You can learn about viral mutations, viral progression and how viruses can go through stages of virulence such that occurred in the 1918 pandemic. Frankly if you are pretty laissez faire about this, I feel sorry for you. Anyways, wear a mask and encourage others to if you want to return to some semblance of normalcy.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoldCard and gocds
I’ll just add that wearing a mask is pro-life. Wearing a mask will help healthcare costs from rising astronomically. Wearing a mask will help small businesses recover fully. Wearing a mask will help schools have a stable schedule. Wearing a mask will allow sports at all levels to resume more quickly. Wearing a mask is a small selfless act that exudes Patriotic expression.

Reactions: glassmanJ
I’ll just add that wearing a mask is pro-life. Wearing a mask will help healthcare costs from rising astronomically. Wearing a mask will help small businesses recover fully. Wearing a mask will help schools have a stable schedule. Wearing a mask will allow sports at all levels to resume more quickly. Wearing a mask is a small selfless act that exudes Patriotic expression.
I don’t necessarily disagree.

I just don’t know, and neither do you or anyone else, that simply wearing a mask is going to to stop this thing.

All I DO know is, +/- 59k people a year have died from Flu and nobody but family gave a chit until it became “something else”.

And even with those numbers, there is not a “guaranteed” Flu vaccine after all these years, so the odds of a COVID vaccine are slim. They’re already talking about mutations.

COVID may be with us forever, so there may be zero health cost savings or lives saved.

Just a lot of “might” “may” and “possibly’s” to deal with.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
I don’t necessarily disagree.

I just don’t know, and neither do you or anyone else, that simply wearing a mask is going to to stop this thing.

All I DO know is, +/- 59k people a year have died from Flu and nobody but family gave a chit until it became “something else”.

And even with those numbers, there is not a “guaranteed” Flu vaccine after all these years, so the odds of a COVID vaccine are slim. They’re already talking about mutations.

COVID may be with us forever, so there may be zero health cost savings or lives saved.

Just a lot of “might” “may” and “possibly’s” to deal with.

Wearing a mask is a simple, low cost way to reduce transmission. That’s indisputable. Of course it’s not 100% effective though.

I agree the flu vaccine isn’t full-proof and in fact some years it misses the mark a lot. However we do have therapeutics to treat someone when they have the flu. We are developing therapies and protocols to treat COVID but they are having to be developed on the fly. This is all the most reason to slow the spread so that researchers have time to develop and refine these therapies.

Has the Ivy League decision been made official? There is a lot of talk about them moving to spring but didnt think an official announcement was coming until tomorrow. This would affect many FCS teams as well who have scheduled games with the Ivy teams.

Has the Ivy League decision been made official? There is a lot of talk about them moving to spring but didnt think an official announcement was coming until tomorrow. This would affect many FCS teams as well who have scheduled games with the Ivy teams.

The official announcement comes tomorrow, correct, but all signs point to them moving football to spring. There will be a major ripple effect.

Reactions: Jhectus18
544,000 deaths worldwide. This virus is the flu times ten.
Depends on your source.

- The World Health Organization estimates that worldwide, annual influenza epidemics result in about 3-5 million cases of severe illness and about 250,000 to 500,000 deaths-

That’s the WHO everyone is hanging their hat on.

https://www.medscape.com/answers/219557-3459/what-is-the-global-incidence-of-influenza#qna

I’m not saying this isn’t bad. I just don’t think there much we can do about it. Viruses are going to do what viruses do. We can cut Flu cases but we can’t eradicate it. And we don’t wear masks trying.

Why do people think we will eradicate covid?

Depends on your source.

- The World Health Organization estimates that worldwide, annual influenza epidemics result in about 3-5 million cases of severe illness and about 250,000 to 500,000 deaths-

That’s the WHO everyone is hanging their hat on.

https://www.medscape.com/answers/219557-3459/what-is-the-global-incidence-of-influenza#qna

I’m not saying this isn’t bad. I just don’t think there much we can do about it. Viruses are going to do what viruses do. We can cut Flu cases but we can’t eradicate it. And we don’t wear masks trying.

Why do people think we will eradicate covid?
MY WIFE WORKS IN THE HOSPITAL AND YOU DISGUST ME TO THE CORE YOU FOR YOUR ATTITUDE. YOU ARE UNAMERICAN AND YOU AND YOUR FELLOW MORONS MAKE THIS COUNTRY WORSE.

MY WIFE WORKS IN THE HOSPITAL AND YOU DISGUST ME TO THE CORE YOU FOR YOUR ATTITUDE. YOU ARE UNAMERICAN AND YOU AND YOUR FELLOW MORONS MAKE THIS COUNTRY WORSE.
Thanks?

I’m social with several hospital workers and they haven’t missed a night out yet. Guess they didn’t get the memo.

And I really don’t give a shit what you think of me.

Ignore works both ways.

First off, we’ve had 544,000 confirmed deaths worldwide from this virus in about 6 months, and the death rate has leveled out to about 4600 per day, so we’re on a pace to see about 1.4 million deaths worldwide in a year. The statement I made about this being a flu times 10 stands, regardless of which source you want to use.

Second, I don’t care about eradicating Covid at this point, because that’s something that simply cannot be done. I care very much about protecting my fiancée, who has two co-morbidities.

Finally, I wear a mask whenever I go into any public building or confined space. And I greatly appreciate anyone I see who is doing the same. Your kindness might just save my fiancee’s life by preventing the spread to her until a workable vaccine is developed. We’re in a race against time here, and anything we can do to slow the spread increases the chance that I might get to spend a few more decades with her, instead of a few months.

Ivy League has cancelled fall sports altogether. No athletics until at least 1/1/2021.

Last edited:
Why you yelling..?

You kinda jumped off the rails there..

My lady friend is a director of nurses at a hospital and is their Covid policy director.. They have had no more staff affected by Covid than with the regular flu..

To call someone un-American for him voicing his opinion, is well, pretty un- American..

Reactions: coachsales
Why you yelling..?

You kinda jumped off the rails there..

My lady friend is a director of nurses at a hospital and is their Covid policy director.. They have had no more staff affected by Covid than with the regular flu..

To call someone un-American for him voicing his opinion, is well, pretty un- American..

Well, my Dad was battling cancer for the last 14 months of his life and died from it in early May. For 18 of the last 20 days of his life, we weren’t allowed to see him because he was in the hospital due to a blood clot in his lung, and the hospital’s policy was to allow no access to patients in order to limit the spread of the coronavirus.

Although he never contracted COVID-19, we got him home 2 days before he died, and he never woke up during those last 2 days. So essentially, that virus robbed him and all of his loved ones of being a part of the last 20 days of his life.

So while you may disagree, statistics don’t even begin to tell the whole story of how ridiculously much worse this virus is than the flu. The only reason your health care worker can say they haven’t seen anything more than what they would normally see for the flu is because every one of us has made sacrifices, some of them heartbreaking, to limit the spread of this virus. If you think it’s the same as the flu, ask yourself this: when was the last time that a hospital shut out family members from visiting a sick loved one in the hospital for the flu?

Last edited:
Well, my Dad was battling cancer for the last 14 months of his life and died from it in early May. For 18 of the last 20 days of his life, we weren’t allowed to see him because he was in the hospital due to a blood clot in his lung and the hospital’s policy was to allow no access to patients in order to limit the spread of the virus.

Although he never contracted COVID-19, we got him home 2 days before he died, and he never woke up during those last 2 days. So essentially, that virus robbed him and all of his loved ones of being a part of the last 20 days of his life.

So while you may disagree, statistics don’t even begin to tell the whole story of how ridiculously much worse this virus is than the flu. The only reason your health care worker can say they haven’t seen anything more a normal flu is because every one of us has made sacrifices, some of them heartbreaking, to limit the spread of this virus. If you think it’s the same as the flu, ask yourself when hospitals shut out family members from visiting family members in the hospital for the flu.
Pushup that's terrible. Sorry for the loss of your father, I have heard other similar stories and actually had a close friend who went through the same scenario with a family member..

I'm sure there's a lot of heartbreaking stories out there, especially those involving kids who have to spend time in the hospital by themselves because of the visitor policies. Very unfortunate..

I have it on good authority that the Governor will issue an executive order today mandating masks. Not sure if it’s at the county level or statewide. Regardless, if it’s at the county level Jefferson county will follow this. Glad to see we are finally doing this, although I think the Governor waited too long.

Well, my Dad was battling cancer for the last 14 months of his life and died from it in early May. For 18 of the last 20 days of his life, we weren’t allowed to see him because he was in the hospital due to a blood clot in his lung, and the hospital’s policy was to allow no access to patients in order to limit the spread of the coronavirus.

So while you may disagree, statistics don’t even begin to tell the whole story of how ridiculously much worse this virus is than the flu. The only reason your health care worker can say they haven’t seen anything more than what they would normally see for the flu is because every one of us has made sacrifices, some of them heartbreaking, to limit the spread of this virus. If you think it’s the same as the flu, ask yourself this: when was the last time that a hospital shut out family members from visiting a sick loved one in the hospital for the flu?

That is absolutely heartbreaking. I am so sorry this happened to you and your family. I can't imagine the torment.

Reactions: PushupMan

Sorry for your loss, Pushupman.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT