ADVERTISEMENT

IU Hires Woodson As Head Coach

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
New York Knicks assistant Mike Woodson is in talks to become Indiana's next head coach, sources told ESPN.

Woodson, 63, is an Indianapolis native and Indiana alum who played for the Hoosiers from 1976-1980. He's spent his entire coaching career in the NBA, with 25 years of experience as an assistant and head coach. He was the head coach of the Atlanta Hawks for six seasons and the New York Knicks for three seasons

New York Knicks assistant Mike Woodson is in talks to become Indiana's next head coach, sources told ESPN.

No deal is done yet, sources told ESPN, but the two sides are in discussions, and there is belief a deal will be agreed to.

Woodson, 63, is an Indianapolis native and Indiana alum who played for the Hoosiers from 1976-1980. He's spent his entire coaching career in the NBA, with 25 years of experience as an assistant and head coach. He was the head coach of the Atlanta Hawks for six seasons and the New York Knicks for three seasons
Seems to be working for Penny and Memphis. Did anybody notice, they wore the old Memphis State throwback jerseys and won the NIT.

They also hired Thad Matta to do the work behind the scenes. Maybe they don’t have full faith in Woodson right off the bat.

I thought IU would get a healthy dose of reality with this coach hiring process but not even I thought they would fumble it as terribly as they have. I can't imagine there's a single IU fan who' excited or even happy with this hire.

Memphis fans are no longer excited about Penny, he has had the same amount of talent as Cal and has done less.

I do not think IU can afford anymore “might turn out” hires for their Men’s Basketball HC position. Woodson is no Brad Stevens; my suspicion is this will not turn out well for the Hoosiers.

Reactions: Mayoman

Can’t believe Jerry Eaves didn’t get an interview!

I do not think IU can afford anymore “might turn out” hires for their Men’s Basketball HC position. Woodson is no Brad Stevens; my suspicion is this will not turn out well for the Hoosiers.

I could be wrong, but that's the same feeling I get from this hire as well. Certainly doesn't seem like a homerun hire right now.

If Thad gets the players and assistants lined up right to get Woodson adapted to the college game, I think it's a decent hire. He won't get them a title, but I don't think it's a bust. Woodson has coached some really modern offenses and is a strong teacher of defense. I think he can coach & if Matta can run the show, they'll be in good shape.

If Thad gets the players and assistants lined up right to get Woodson adapted to the college game, I think it's a decent hire. He won't get them a title, but I don't think it's a bust. Woodson has coached some really modern offenses and is a strong teacher of defense. I think he can coach & if Matta can run the show, they'll be in good shape.
I think Woodson will be the X's and O's guy. Matta is there for recruiting and NCAA compliance, given Woodson has zero experience in the college ranks.

Woodson doesn’t know all the stupid rules of the NCAA. Which rules are breakable and which are sudden death. Amazing that Woodson has 25 yrs experience in the NBA. I would be uncomfortable with the Thad Matta over my shoulder concept. But maybe Thad and health issues limits his physical abilities as the main man.

Woodson doesn’t know all the stupid rules of the NCAA. Which rules are breakable and which are sudden death. Amazing that Woodson has 25 yrs experience in the NBA. I would be uncomfortable with the Thad Matta over my shoulder concept. But maybe Thad and health issues limits his physical abilities as the main man.

I have also heard from an IU friend that Woodson might have Larry Brown coming in as an assistant.

Matta, Woodson and Brown will be a guys version of The Golden Girls. 🤔🤦🤷‍♂️

The college basketball game has changed more than anyone could have imagined. It will be extremely difficult for Woodson to turn IU around, and there will be no grace period from the fans as they are way too hungry for some evidence of success.

IU no longer has the advantage of recruiting the high caliber of Indiana HS talent .......Purdue and others have cut into that once held position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT