ADVERTISEMENT

Its official now!

McGee is gone to Illinois. Now we will see who our new OC is. I am glad McGee is gone.

Why are you glad he's gone? It always stinks wherever we lose a member of the coaching staff that's returning 18 starters from last season.

Bobby is the OC, we just need a good recruiter to take the position.

I don't think Paul Petrino will be coming back to UofL to fill the OC position. He is still (for now) head coach at Idaho. Although...he makes around $390K as the HC at Idaho, while McGee made around $850K (after his recent $200K raise when he turned down the Oklahoma OC job) as the OC at Louisville. And FTR, Illinois is supposed to be paying McGee $900K as OC. Still, I think Paul Petrino left Bobby's side to become his own man as a head coach. I don't see him taking that step backwards this soon into his HC career...even to possibly more than double his salary.

Paul coming back would be nice.

Does seem strange McGee would turn down Oklahoma but go to Illnois.

McGee was kicked off the OU team by Howard. He transferred out.

No love for him there.

Ok makes sense. Just looking at the each job for history, seems Oklahoma is a no brainer. I'm sure with Lovie being a Defense guy McGee will have free reign over the offense.

If the Illini are paying McGee $900K, they're already sticking their necks way out. I liked McGee, but there's no hard evidence he deserves that kinda pay as a true OC. He probably called the plays at UAB, and look where that got him. But I wish him nothing but the best...

The timing of the decision for McGee to leave is probably worse than actually losing him. Most of the country has already started spring practice. It becomes significantly harder to pull good assistants away from schools when they've already started preparation for the season. It also puts Petrino in a serious time crunch to have an assistant in place for spring practices so he won't have the luxury of shopping around. I understand the move for McGee to get out of Petrino's shadow but to do it at this point was a dirty move on his part

If we lost our defensive coordinator I would be concerned but since Bobby is so involved in the offense anyway and always will be no matter who the new coach is I think we're OK. I think Paul Petrino would be a great fit for the job since they are brothers and they know what each other likes. Correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure I read where Idaho was going to drop their football program so Paul will be available soon. In regards to Paul wanting to be his own man I would rather be at Louisville making $900,000.00 per year than a head coach somewhere making half of that. With that kind of money I could certainly be my own man.

Reactions: wilkie01
Wilkie,

I think he left because of his relationship with Lovie but also that he would have more responsibility at OC. Imagine having petrino questioning your play calling or looking over your shoulder? Lovie is a defensive guy and so McGee will be trusted more with handling the offense.

Wilkie,

I think he left because of his relationship with Lovie but also that he would have more responsibility at OC. Imagine having petrino questioning your play calling or looking over your shoulder? Lovie is a defensive guy and so McGee will be trusted more with handling the offense.
He needed CBP questioning him. Can't remember which game it was but I remember CBP taking the clipboard and reading his lips on TV it was pretty clear "Enough of this ???". Shocking after that we began moving the ball. But your right I think it was more of his relationship with Lovie than anything else.

On some things in this world, I am 100% confident. Such as:
  • Petrino always has and always will call the plays on offense in-game.
  • Bonnafon came to U of L because Petrino promised him that he could at least try to play QB.
If you believe otherwise, you're kidding yourself...

I seem to remember though that there was a big story about when Reggie's dad passed away that it was McGee who stepped in to provide some fatherly support?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT