ADVERTISEMENT

It’s time to get behind Satterfield and this team

Absolutely agree. Louisville athletic program and fans always had a chip on their shoulder until they made it to the ACC. Lost the edge that led to a hell of a run.
All good points, I digress. I was reaching for a way to make a square peg fit...

Absolutely agree. Louisville athletic program and fans always had a chip on their shoulder until they made it to the ACC. Lost the edge that led to a hell of a run.
OUCH! It hurts to hear but you are absolutely correct. The FB program has always had to scratch and claw for everything that came their way. Once we got into the ACC we suddenly became satisfied with standing on 3rd base., as if being in a P-5 conference was the goal all along. Sounds a lot like another rival we used to belittle for such behavior.

• Wow
Reactions: rh62531 and Mayoman
Just sick of buying into the same old crap. Each year, “We got talent, we got new coaches, we got new transfers, everything is gonna be better. Then, by week three, the season is over. Just can’t do it much more.
“Meet the new boss…same as the old boss”.

I PARTIED:

I appreciate your thoughtful response, and I try to contribute in a meaningful way regardless of being right or wrong. My position on sticking with Satterfield may very well be wrong, and believe me when I acknowledge that possibility. There are no guarantee, as the situations and the individuals involved are as complex as they are varied.

Charlie Strong serves as an example, as I thought UL was a good fit for both side, as he demonstrated his ability to be successful here, and yet since his departure there is no evidence of any of the success he enjoyed at UL.

Those UL fans who disagree with me are entitled to their own opinions, and they may very well get their wish by losing Satterfield at the end of the season. However, I see no value in calling for his termination during the season, some of which started after the disappointing loss at Syracuse.

As bad as that was, the upset win at UCF was encouraging and it is possible that both Syracuse and FSU may be significantly better than anyone had expected.

Lastly, I stated pre-season that UL needed to avoid injuries, as the talented depth on this roster is limited, particularly on the defensive side. We now see the high expectations for Jermaine Lole at NG/DT was injured early and lost for the season. We hosted FSU without #1 and #2 RBs, along with an OL-man, and two receivers.

Aside from the poor passing efficiency, Malik and the offense put together a performance that was close to winning the game. It is what it is.

I am or was a pro Satterfield guy as well. The problem is he hitched his wagon to Brown and

The reality Brown’s expertise is the defensive back field. They have developed 1 player in 4 years. Minkins is the only starter that came out of High School. Players transferred even though they would of started. Yeast who was not very good under Brown turned out to be a NFL player.

His whole system is dependent on having guys that can cover. They are terrible on the back end and have been since his arrival. Anyone can watch a see how poorly they are coached.

I really wonder if Malik would of left in Satterfields 1st year if he wouldn’t of been better off. Malik has yet to lead a team to a game winning drive. He had 2 opportunities against FSU. I had zero confidence he wasn’t going to led them to a game winning touchdown. He made some really great throws in the game but when it mattered he threw. Satterfield drew up good plays but Malik let him down.

Coaches are only as good as their players. You aren’t winning close games with a bad defense and QB that doesn’t perform when it matters.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with our talent or depth. If they aren't executing, that is on the coaches. If they aren't prepared, that is on the coaches. If the play-calling is so incredibly predictable and conservative to the point of detriment, that is on the coaches.

Look, we are in year 4. We've seen enough to get a good indication of how far a coach is going to take us. An influx of blue-chip talent is not going to make this boring-ass, howdy doody system any more effective. Maybe we'll only get beat by Syracuse by 10 instead of 24. Maybe UK will only rush for 150 against us instead of 200+

There is no killer in this coaching staff. That's the bottom line. They are soft.
No accountability for players? Doesn’t sound like you, King.

Reactions: Mayoman
I am or was a pro Satterfield guy as well. The problem is he hitched his wagon to Brown and

The reality Brown’s expertise is the defensive back field. They have developed 1 player in 4 years. Minkins is the only starter that came out of High School. Players transferred even though they would of started. Yeast who was not very good under Brown turned out to be a NFL player.

His whole system is dependent on having guys that can cover. They are terrible on the back end and have been since his arrival. Anyone can watch a see how poorly they are coached.

I really wonder if Malik would of left in Satterfields 1st year if he wouldn’t of been better off. Malik has yet to lead a team to a game winning drive. He had 2 opportunities against FSU. I had zero confidence he wasn’t going to led them to a game winning touchdown. He made some really great throws in the game but when it mattered he threw. Satterfield drew up good plays but Malik let him down.

Coaches are only as good as their players. You aren’t winning close games with a bad defense and QB that doesn’t perform when it matters.
“Have” not “of”

Reactions: Guardman
No accountability for players? Doesn’t sound like you, King.
Because players don’t call the plays. I’ve seen nothing that says “it was a good call, just poorly executed”

I like the talent on this team. I believe a competent staff could win 8-10 games with these players if properly prepared, schemed, motivated and play-called.

I’m always more bullish on coaches than I am players. There are always exceptions

Henry; while “there is some talent” on this team, it is deficient in too many key positions, something our opponents have seized on to the obvious weaknesses. Most of us questioned the talent in our secondary coming into this season, and all anyone needs to do, is examine the way both FSU QBs exploited our corners and safeties. Despite having 3 talented RBs, FSU had confidence their “rookie QB“ could dominate our coverage. That FSU passing efficiency exposed our lack of secondary talent, and there is no way any DC could hide it.

Malik is an exceptional athlete, so no one can argue his talent, but his inability to throw accurately with any consistency explains why he must rely on his feet rather than his arm for any sustainable success.

Your point about “players don’t call the plays” is correct, but conversely “coaches can’t execute the plays”. The third interception of the season for Malik was a perfect example of my point …… it took a way any chance to win the FSU game, and no reasonable person can blame Satterfield; Malik simply sailed the pass over the receiver.

Ironically, we have 4 talented RBs, but not a single QB who can can consistently execute an effective passing game. We have a couple of talented receivers, but regrettably the injuries thus far have reduced their ability to contribute each offensive possession.

Dez Tell is doing the very best that he can, but the loss of injury prone Jermaine Lole for the season speaks to what so many cautioned in the pre-season ……. we could ill afford any injuries, but that is precisely what has occurred thus far.

Henry; while “there is some talent” on this team, it is deficient in too many key positions, something our opponents have seized on to the obvious weaknesses. Most of us questioned the talent in our secondary coming into this season, and all anyone needs to do, is examine the way both FSU QBs exploited our corners and safeties. Despite having 3 talented RBs, FSU had confidence their “rookie QB“ could dominate our coverage. That FSU passing efficiency exposed our lack of secondary talent, and there is no way any DC could hide it.

Malik is an exceptional athlete, so no one can argue his talent, but his inability to throw accurately with any consistency explains why he must rely on his feet rather than his arm for any sustainable success.

Your point about “players don’t call the plays” is correct, but conversely “coaches can’t execute the plays”. The third interception of the season for Malik was a perfect example of my point …… it took a way any chance to win the FSU game, and no reasonable person can blame Satterfield; Malik simply sailed the pass over the receiver.

Ironically, we have 4 talented RBs, but not a single QB who can can consistently execute an effective passing game. We have a couple of talented receivers, but regrettably the injuries thus far have reduced their ability to contribute each offensive possession.

Dez Tell is doing the very best that he can, but the loss of injury prone Jermaine Lole for the season speaks to what so many cautioned in the pre-season ……. we could ill afford any injuries, but that is precisely what has occurred thus far.

Hudson, Huggins-Bruce and Marshon Ford all played. Which talented receiver is out?

I was very patient with Satt knowing that Petrino did a terrible job recruiting at the end of his tenure. However by year 4 that excuse runs out of steam. Satt should have a full complement of his own players. For example by most accounts we do not have P5 backup QB.

Reactions: rh62531 and BPGhost
Hudson, Huggins-Bruce and Marshon Ford all played. Which talented receiver is out?

I was very patient with Satt knowing that Petrino did a terrible job recruiting at the end of his tenure. However by year 4 that excuse runs out of steam. Satt should have a full complement of his own players. For example by most accounts we do not have P5 backup QB.
Interesting. But how would we know...MC gets all the snaps and all the PT and has for how many years now? And why did Jordan Travis transfer out once again? And Purdy not even come with a late change to FSU wasn't it?

Loyalty to a player is commendable until it isn't anymore. o_O ;)

If there is a talent deficiency in Satterfield's 4th year - then that's on him. If there is a lack of P5 depth at positions in Satterfield's 4th year - then that's on him. One receiver dominated UofL's secondary - Wilson was responsible for 55% of the receiving yards. "No DC could hide it"? You think maybe Brown could have mitigated it by doubling him - particularly in the red zone?

Malik's consistency is directly related to the type of throw he is called upon to make. He completed 62% of his passes - so there are clearly throws that he can and does make routinely. Why wouldn't Satterfield call pass plays to Malik's strengths throwing the football? As unfortunate as the INT was, anyone who knows sports - and team sports in specific - knows that one play doesn't mean the difference between a win and a loss. As posted earlier, UofL should have been up 35-14 or at least 28-14 and not in the position that they were in. The reasons that they were not - is primarily on the coaching staff.

UofL may have 4 talented RBs but unfortunately, the OL thus far has shown no ability to sustain push allowing the running game to be consistently effective. If that is Satterfield's priority, why hasn't he developed the OL to a point where it could be? If we don't have a single QB that can consistently execute an effective passing game - in year 4 - who's fault is that? And for goodness sake, if the staff (or you) is tying their hopes of an effective defense to one player - particularly one who is brand new and is injury prone - then they continue to build their foundation on sand.

Sunbelt Scotty is and has been, in over his head since he got here. Time has not made a difference.

KHX: Fans losing hope? Regrettably that has been a common theme here at UL for several years now; basketball and football alike. Patience Is a virtue that seems to have eluded quite a few UL fans. Firing the coach becomes popular, but often fails to address the larger problem.

I believe there is “some talent” here, but sadly there is not enough to overcome the level of competition and our lack of depth compounds the skill issue. Lamar was so special, it concealed the inherit recruiting issues that Bobby experienced for several years.

Actually Henry, I have see those “head scratching“ calls by CSS ever since he arrived, and believe me I have shared in the same frustration that you and others have expressed. However, my focus has been more on the lack of execution, and across the board, particularly at the skill position. I get the “Captain Obvious thing”, but for this offense to be successful, these kids need to execute beyond their ability.

It starts with the QB, and despite the impressive statistical numbers that Malik accumulated coming into this season, in truth, his inability to read the defense, and his limitation throwing the football accurately on a consistent basis, reduces the play calling options for any coach. Malik is special when scrambling in the open field, as it becomes extremely difficult for any defense to contain …….but aside from that “Lamar type” performance, not sure how play calling applies there.

This UL football program needs increased talent, size and numbers to be competitive with ACC and UK; for the first time in quite a while there appears to be the level of recruiting success taking place here. Fire CSS a now and watch that class disappear. As for me, I am willing to give Scott the rest of the year before I abandon him.
I know your fear and why you think we should give Satterfield more time. Satterfield was my first choice to replace Bobby 2.0. I thought he had the temperament and talent to get Louisville to near the top of the ACC. I was wrong.

Satterfield has been here 4 years and he is what he is. More talent may get him one maybe two more wins, but even that's not guaranteed. Satterfield just doesn't have the "swag" or the attitude to coach at a school that has conference, and national championship aspirations. His quote after the Syracuse debacle says it all.." We didn't;t match their intensity" It's not about matching intensity. It's about imposing your will. It's about having a belief that this team, no matter how much talent they have, can't beat you. This is something that Strong and Bobby 1.0 excelled at. infusing those Cardinal teams with an attitude of invincibility.

Teams reflect their coach. That's one of the reasons I started calling Satterfield Ned Flanders. He's a great guy. The players love him. I mean they LOVE him, but he's missing that nasty streak. That's one of the reason UK keeps busting us for 50 points and completely dominate us. They have that desire and will to dominate us. The confidence and swag that they want to almost punish us. They play how we use to play. Flanders just doesn't have it.

We can give him another 2-3 years to coach his super class coming in, but what good will that do? He's been here 4 years, how much player development have you seen? What layers has gotten appreciably better sine they got here? Malik is the same guy now that he was 5 years ago. There's been almost zero development on the defensive line. Offensive line has gotten better, I 'll give him that. Our RB's are pretty much the same. We've added better talent through transfers, but the guys who have been here are the same as they were last year.

Satterfield had a chance to really reset his tenure here when he added new coaches. But rather than take the bold step, he just played around the edges. Brown should have been replaced as DC. Satterfield/Flanders is determined to do things the way he did them at APP State, but it's just not working.

Both Hudson and Huggins-Bruce were injured and only saw limited action. How many times did they run critical 3rd down routes short of the first down marker. Some call it coaching; I call it player execution.

Both Hudson and Huggins-Bruce were injured and only saw limited action. How many times did they run critical 3rd down routes short of the first down marker. Some call it coaching; I call it player execution.
When things go wrong in America, we blame the president. When a corporation is busted for tax fraud, we blame the CEO. When a local crime wave breaks out, we blame the mayor. When players fail to tackle, show effort, or don't execute, we blame the.... players?

It doesn't work that way. The coach is responsible. The head coach is always responsible.

I don't believe for a second that the receivers executed the correct routes in practice and then, ran the wrong routes in the game. That's not the way it works - practiced enough with quality supervision, it becomes muscle memory. Simply put, players perform in games the way that they perform in practice.

Reactions: EKYCard643
I don't get the mentality of not firing Satterfield because you fear who we hire won't be as good. As good as 6-6? I would rather fail trying to be great than settle for being mediocre. I get as much joy out of a 6-6 season as I do a 3-9 season. They're both equally frustrating, unfulfilling and embarrassing.

I just don't get what else people need to see. What are you guys seeing that Satterfield is building? What's changed in the last 3 years? People talking about player execution being an issue. Do you think that will get better with different players? You think this staff brought in a bunch of dud players that don't listen and don't practice properly and the staff still lets them play? You think different players will help in that regard? Effort has been a clear issue through 3 games this year - do you think that will be different? Player effort has been an issue every year he's been here. He's in year 4 and has seen a lot of players come through the program over the years and the exact same issues we saw 3 years ago we still see...but things will be different with the new players? We keep seeing the same things and hoping for different results. Someone really should dig up some old threads from the past seasons and see what we were complaining about then - I would guarantee they are the exact same things we're talking about right now.

After year 4? Not year 1...year 4. And...as I've mentioned before, he'll need an extension after this season so are you willing to tie the program to him for another 4-5 years and essentially make it impossible to fire him for another 3-4?

I get letting the season play out. I say let it play out as well. But if he finishes 6-6 or worse and you're still willing to give him an extension then you and I simply have different levels of expectations for the program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT