ADVERTISEMENT

It’s time to get behind Satterfield and this team

Four-Star Poster
Nov 28, 2002
Over the brief Satterfield tenure here at UL, at times and as recently as the aftermath of the debacle at Syracuse, I have been as critical of him as anyone. However, I have a sense that UL football needs to show support and patience with Scott, as I am afraid we could lose whatever momentum we have obtained thus far by making a coaching change.

The win at UCF was just as unexpected as the loss and the manner that we witnessed at Syracuse. That seems to be an ever-increasing phenomena within college football. The Irish and the Aggies two losses this weekend are just more examples of the parity that is evolving in this sport. Even Alabama struggled to sneak out a win over Texas, who were missing their starting QB for most of the contest.

Satterfield may not be the perfect fit for UL, but those we thought were perfect, either left after having success here, or were fired as a result of failing. I may not even live to see the 2023 class suit up here, but right now I have to think that is a part of our future, and firing Satterfield could easily result in a far more devastating consequence that anything we might imagine.

I'll take it game by game. Reflecting on the last three years, however, I'm not impressed. Good for him, great for the team, for responding the way they did at UCF. Showed a lot of grit and heart. On to FSU. The Noles are favored by 2.5.

Over the brief Satterfield tenure here at UL, at times and as recently as the aftermath of the debacle at Syracuse, I have been as critical of him as anyone. However, I have a sense that UL football needs to show support and patience with Scott, as I am afraid we could lose whatever momentum we have obtained thus far by making a coaching change.

The win at UCF was just as unexpected as the loss and the manner that we witnessed at Syracuse. That seems to be an ever-increasing phenomena within college football. The Irish and the Aggies two losses this weekend are just more examples of the parity that is evolving in this sport. Even Alabama struggled to sneak out a win over Texas, who were missing their starting QB for most of the contest.

Satterfield may not be the perfect fit for UL, but those we thought were perfect, either left after having success here, or were fired as a result of failing. I may not even live to see the 2023 class suit up here, but right now I have to think that is a part of our future, and firing Satterfield could easily result in a far more devastating consequence that anything we might imagine.

I don’t think he’s a good fit here but regardless I’m very excited to go to the game on Friday. I love tailgating, I love seeing the people that have sat around me for years and years.

I'm willing to let the season play out but the cake has been baking now for 3 going on 4 years. If he can't get to 8-4 this year, it will never happen and extending him will be an acceptance of that. I say at least 7-5 or FARR that sonofabeyitch. And we all get used to 7-5 as the ceiling.

It should be pointed out that his best team was his first year, full of Petrino recruits that won only 2 games the year prior. As the Petrino recruits attritioned out, the record has gotten worse. That is his ceiling until he proves me wrong. Prove it, Scott!

Then he needs to stop running on 2nd or even 3rd and long and start opening it up. I can’t get behind 7 points against Syracuse and the defense winning it at UCF. Maybe it’s Satterfield who needs to show us something?

The most devastating consequence UofL could face, is sliding into such mediocrity that they become an afterthought in the P5 conference shakeup. Those decisions are being made with three criteria in mind.

1. TV markets / fan base.
2. Competitive / sustained / historical excellence.
3. Academic strength of the university.

Let’s face facts - UofL struggles in comparison to most of the other top 64 (the number most mentioned as the final shakeup number) at #1 & #3. Should the trajectory of #2 become increasingly downward - there’s an excellent chance UofL gets left without a seat when the music stops. At this point - and it’s dependent upon who would replace him - I’m of the belief firing Satterfield is the better move. That said, he has 10 games to prove his detractors wrong.

Reactions: Guardman
The most devastating consequence UofL could face, is sliding into such mediocrity that they become an afterthought in the P5 conference shakeup. Those decisions are being made with three criteria in mind.

1. TV markets / fan base.
2. Competitive / sustained / historical excellence.
3. Academic strength of the university.

Let’s face facts - UofL struggles in comparison to most of the other top 64 (the number most mentioned as the final shakeup number) at #1 & #3. Should the trajectory of #2 become increasingly downward - there’s an excellent chance UofL gets left without a seat when the music stops. At this point - and it’s dependent upon who would replace him - I’m of the belief firing Satterfield is the better move. That said, he has 10 games to prove his detractors wrong.
We don’t know when “the music stops.” Starting over us a bad idea. Satt should be removed only if a scandal develops or the program just falls apart, ala 2018. Otherwise, stick with him.

We don’t know when “the music stops.” Starting over us a bad idea. Satt should be removed only if a scandal develops or the program just falls apart, ala 2018. Otherwise, stick with him.
Two twenty team mega conferences then everyone else. That’s where we are headed for the foreseeable future.

You don’t stick with mediocrity in this environment. Kill or be killed.

Reactions: BPGhost
1. If you wait to act until the music stops - you run the risk of being without a chair. The only reason that UofL is even in the ACC, is because Jurich was proactive.
2. If his dalliance with USCjr after year one was any indication - should he have success, Satterfield doesn’t appear likely to stick with us.

Last edited:
I've been for Satterfield since he got here, I was pissed when he flirted with USC after one season but I've "kinda" let that go. I was done with him after Syracuse and I'm now in the show me MF'r category. Believe me, I hope he can string together some wins here and get over all the same old shit that costs us games every time we lose, mainly piss poor effort and the defense just getting gashed and the offense being so predictable. Dino was giggling at us on the sidelines for a reason.

C'mon Satterfield and company make it happen...!

Reactions: nccardfan
I remember when Ron Cooper was the coach and he had this phenom at QB that he had handing the ball off most of the time. Cooper wasn't the OC but his philosophy was smashmouth football but there wasn't many big plays. Not a lot of 3 and 4 WR sets.

Well, we sucked at we FARRED that SOB. Enter some dude out west named John L. Smith and a up and coming offensive guru named Bobby Petrino. They took that QB and opened the play book and suddenly there were TD's all over the place and the Cards received a bowl bid.

Everyone was shocked. From one win the year before to seven and a all American QB named Chris Redman was born.

That's where Satterfield is at right now. Like John L, he inherited a decimated team that was one of the worst in the nation and took the Cards to a bowl game in his first season. However, there was no covid during the John L years and the program ascended to great heights.

Satterfield suffered more than most with covid and the roster took this year to have adequate depth of talent. Now he needs to let go of the reigns and let this offense go. Forget driving the field for 5 minutes to score and go for the big plays. Remember "feed the studs"

Get the best ball carriers the ball in the open field. Spread out defenses and make the opponents defense make the adjustments. Satterfield needs to learn from history and not continue to be stubborn with his offensive philosophy.

If he wants to stay here he better.

I knew Ron Cooper personally, and very familiar with his brief time here at UL. While I considered Ron as a friend, in hindsight he would be the first to acknowledge that he was ill prepared for the HC position at that time. Any comparison of Ron to Scott is totally misdirected, and anyone else remotely familiar with the circumstances related to the hiring of Cooper, and his initial arrival at UL, know there is no correlation between the two UL HCs.

I too remain troubled by the poor judgement exercised by Scott when he pursued the Gamecock’s opening, but trust he has learned that a career decision is best determined by being successful where you are, rather than trying to improve your future by moving around.

Lastly ….. to those who have their own valid dissenting views; here is my question to you. If we replaced Satterfield either now, or at the end of the season; what assurances can you provide that UL could identify, attract and ultimately hire a candidate who was capable of doing any better here?

If you believe Jeff is one of those “top candidates“; my response to you is that you first provide some explanation as to why he would take a job under these current circumstances, when he rejected previously; and as a follow up, what evidence is there that says he could beat Miami, Clemson or UK?

At this point - and it’s dependent upon who would replace him - I’m of the belief firing Satterfield is the better move. That said, he has 10 games to prove his detractors wrong.

That's right - 7-5 or FARR that sonofabeyitch. Honestly I feel like he needs to get 8-4, but I'll begrudgingly give him 7-5, knowing it'll never be better than 7-5.

Getting blown out @ Syracuse caught a ton of fans off guard. Literally nobody posting saw it coming.

It put SS into the T10 on coaches hot seat and a few names ahead of him were probably in better shape. If the team repeated that first game in game two the situation would be very similar to Frost @ Nebraska. You would start to wonder when and where the wins would come from. But the Cards pulled off the week 2 upset and I think that W probably guarantees he's at minimum finishing the season here.

So with that I'm really hoping for another win this week. And next week, And the week after that. Etc. His overall record might be vanilla so far but there hasn't been that disaster season that runs a HC out of town. It looked like after game one there was real potential for a 2-3 win season, but it now feels like they should avoid all that.

So yeah, let's win Friday.

Reactions: Morgantown Card
I knew Ron Cooper personally, and very familiar with his brief time here at UL. While I considered Ron as a friend, in hindsight he would be the first to acknowledge that he was ill prepared for the HC position at that time. Any comparison of Ron to Scott is totally misdirected, and anyone else remotely familiar with the circumstances related to the hiring of Cooper, and his initial arrival at UL, know there is no correlation between the two UL HCs.

I too remain troubled by the poor judgement exercised by Scott when he pursued the Gamecock’s opening, but trust he has learned that a career decision is best determined by being successful where you are, rather than trying to improve your future by moving around.

Lastly ….. to those who have their own valid dissenting views; here is my question to you. If we replaced Satterfield either now, or at the end of the season; what assurances can you provide that UL could identify, attract and ultimately hire a candidate who was capable of doing any better here?

If you believe Jeff is one of those “top candidates“; my response to you is that you first provide some explanation as to why he would take a job under these current circumstances, when he rejected previously; and as a follow up, what evidence is there that says he could beat Miami, Clemson or UK?

Why Brohm didn’t come before and why he is a great candidate for the position have been posted on here ad nauseam.

"aw Shucks" Satterfield is no John L Smith. Just stop.

You want to compare him to that era? Compare his vanilla-azz play-calling to that of Ron Cooper, whom every person in that stadium could tell you what he was going to call next. Compare his prevent defense in the 3rd quarter up only 7.

I've hoped and prayed Satterfield would turn the corner, but I've lost hope. He's not going to turn the corner, he's simply going to be an average coach whose head-scratching calls and nice-guy schtick is never going to inspire the kind of dawg attitude a football team needs to lay waste to all opponents in our path. He's not a killer, he's a hesitater. I'm surprised you cannot see that 233.

Reactions: gocds
^ I fear that you may be right KHX...and pray you are wrong. Satt would not have made it Germantown back in the day would he???

Last edited:
KHX: Fans losing hope? Regrettably that has been a common theme here at UL for several years now; basketball and football alike. Patience Is a virtue that seems to have eluded quite a few UL fans. Firing the coach becomes popular, but often fails to address the larger problem.

I believe there is “some talent” here, but sadly there is not enough to overcome the level of competition and our lack of depth compounds the skill issue. Lamar was so special, it concealed the inherit recruiting issues that Bobby experienced for several years.

Actually Henry, I have see those “head scratching“ calls by CSS ever since he arrived, and believe me I have shared in the same frustration that you and others have expressed. However, my focus has been more on the lack of execution, and across the board, particularly at the skill position. I get the “Captain Obvious thing”, but for this offense to be successful, these kids need to execute beyond their ability.

It starts with the QB, and despite the impressive statistical numbers that Malik accumulated coming into this season, in truth, his inability to read the defense, and his limitation throwing the football accurately on a consistent basis, reduces the play calling options for any coach. Malik is special when scrambling in the open field, as it becomes extremely difficult for any defense to contain …….but aside from that “Lamar type” performance, not sure how play calling applies there.

This UL football program needs increased talent, size and numbers to be competitive with ACC and UK; for the first time in quite a while there appears to be the level of recruiting success taking place here. Fire CSS a now and watch that class disappear. As for me, I am willing to give Scott the rest of the year before I abandon him.

Reactions: gocds
KHX: Fans losing hope? Regrettably that has been a common theme here at UL for several years now; basketball and football alike. Patience Is a virtue that seems to have eluded quite a few UL fans. Firing the coach becomes popular, but often fails to address the larger problem.

I believe there is “some talent” here, but sadly there is not enough to overcome the level of competition and our lack of depth compounds the skill issue. Lamar was so special, it concealed the inherit recruiting issues that Bobby experienced for several years.

Actually Henry, I have see those “head scratching“ calls by CSS ever since he arrived, and believe me I have shared in the same frustration that you and others have expressed. However, my focus has been more on the lack of execution, and across the board, particularly at the skill position. I get the “Captain Obvious thing”, but for this offense to be successful, these kids need to execute beyond their ability.

It starts with the QB, and despite the impressive statistical numbers that Malik accumulated coming into this season, in truth, his inability to read the defense, and his limitation throwing the football accurately on a consistent basis, reduces the play calling options for any coach. Malik is special when scrambling in the open field, as it becomes extremely difficult for any defense to contain …….but aside from that “Lamar type” performance, not sure how play calling applies there.

This UL football program needs increased talent, size and numbers to be competitive with ACC and UK; for the first time in quite a while there appears to be the level of recruiting success taking place here. Fire CSS a now and watch that class disappear. As for me, I am willing to give Scott the rest of the year before I abandon him.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with our talent or depth. If they aren't executing, that is on the coaches. If they aren't prepared, that is on the coaches. If the play-calling is so incredibly predictable and conservative to the point of detriment, that is on the coaches.

Look, we are in year 4. We've seen enough to get a good indication of how far a coach is going to take us. An influx of blue-chip talent is not going to make this boring-ass, howdy doody system any more effective. Maybe we'll only get beat by Syracuse by 10 instead of 24. Maybe UK will only rush for 150 against us instead of 200+

There is no killer in this coaching staff. That's the bottom line. They are soft.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with our talent or depth. If they aren't executing, that is on the coaches. If they aren't prepared, that is on the coaches. If the play-calling is so incredibly predictable and conservative to the point of detriment, that is on the coaches.

Look, we are in year 4. We've seen enough to get a good indication of how far a coach is going to take us. An influx of blue-chip talent is not going to make this boring-ass, howdy doody system any more effective. Maybe we'll only get beat by Syracuse by 10 instead of 24. Maybe UK will only rush for 150 against us instead of 200+

There is no killer in this coaching staff. That's the bottom line. They are soft.
I will also respond and say that "it appears that the level of recruiting success is taking place" Well, we are in year 4, we should already be seeing it transfer to the field... We got a 6th year senior QB.

We got a 6th year senior QB
Who is a 5-year starter, for christ's sake! Not to mention the experience on the OL, and almost every position everywhere except maybe WR. Sorry, but the WR aren't setting us back...not in this offense.

Last night is further evidence of more of the same. A tough loss there, a nice win here, inconsistent, mediocre. We look good, we look bad, they just can’t break through. Can’t get over the hump. We are at a crossroads. Let this be Louisville football, accept it, or demand more? I mean, overall, things can be worse, but what he have isn’t good.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
I tend to agree it isn’t a bad product it is just alright. It is definitely at a cross roads. It was a good game to watch.

To me it is the self inflicted stuff that continues to happen in year 4. I was OK with that stuff in 1-3 years building culture/roster. You have seniors botching assignments/poor tackling/frankly bad effort at times when things go sideways. Year 4 that stuff shouldn’t be an issue.

Let’s be fair that was a really physical game. The kids were ready. They just gave in mentally which is really tough to fix. When the roster doesn’t have great depth man it is hard to hold kids accountable.

Scott Frost had the same problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: rh62531
I really think Satt is a great person. I think he's a great recruiter and a great team manager. But he simply can't make good offensive play calls. The announcers were even commenting on some of his play calls. When it's 3rd and 2 and Malik does a five step drop back pass instead of an RPO, something is wrong.

Reactions: SpotHogCard
If CSS would get a good OC with a proven system so he could manage the team, I think he is a good fit.

If CSS would get a good OC with a proven system so he could manage the team, I think he is a good fit.
When I was 20 I was fighting the fact that my medium shirts were getting a bit tight. I could barely squeeze into my 30 size jeans. By 25 I was in denial that I needed to wear large and that my jeans were size 36. Getting closer to 40, I had to finally accept what fit me.

Scott isn’t a fit. Losing 3 pounds on a fad diet isn’t gonna make it fit better.

His main problem isn’t on the offensive side. I think they make stupid mistakes at really bad times. I tend to agree he has to turn over the play calling.

The problem is on defense. Until that gets fixed they will continue to lose close games. Unfortunately he hitched his wagon to Brown. It is going to cost him his job.

His main problem isn’t on the offensive side. I think they make stupid mistakes at really bad times. I tend to agree he has to turn over the play calling.

The problem is on defense. Until that gets fixed they will continue to lose close games. Unfortunately he hitched his wagon to Brown. It is going to cost him his job.
Did you watch Cuse and UCF? Defense did their jobs those games, the offense didn’t execute.

How about a DC who has a proven system that emphasizes tackling and position responsibility? Brown might be a good guy and a good recruiter but, he sure ain’t DC material at this point in his career. Maybe a LB coach.

Did you watch Cuse and UCF? Defense did their jobs those games, the offense didn’t execute.
No offense but, that’s absurd. You might be able to make the case in the UCF game - unless you watched it and remember the two UCF touchdowns that were called back on ticky tack holding calls. Add to it their QBs complete inability to complete passes to open receivers and some questionable play calling by mahlzhan, and you have your answer as to why UofL win.

There’s no case to be made that the defense did anything close to resembling their job against Syracuse. The got rag dolled.

I really think Satt is a great person. I think he's a great recruiter and a great team manager. But he simply can't make good offensive play calls. The announcers were even commenting on some of his play calls. When it's 3rd and 2 and Malik does a five step drop back pass instead of an RPO, something is wrong.
Until the next class signs - there’s no evidence that he’s a great recruiter. Great recruiters get great recruits who play and are coached up to their ability. None of that is happening under Satterfield.

Yeah I did and I saw a terrible defense against Syracuse/FSU and good defense against UCF. As competition goes up defense struggles. FSU beat them with a backup QB. Come on. They are currently 88th in total defense.

I agree they need to be better on offense but 31 points should of been enough against a back up QB.

Are you being serious?

Every person I talk to is like “well, he seems like a nice man”. Otherwise he evokes no confidence, no chutzpah and barely even any anger anymore. He is as milquetoast as you get. That ain’t UofL football. When I see a stadium 70% full on the opening game, when I see longtime season ticket holders not renewing, it is so plainly obvious that he isn’t the guy for the job. UofL needs a shot in the arm and in particular we have our most connection with coaches that have a chip on their shoulder, ones that are brash and confident.

Are you being serious?

Every person I talk to is like “well, he seems like a nice man”. Otherwise he evokes no confidence, no chutzpah and barely even any anger anymore. He is as milquetoast as you get. That ain’t UofL football. When I see a stadium 70% full on the opening game, when I see longtime season ticket holders not renewing, it is so plainly obvious that he isn’t the guy for the job. UofL needs a shot in the arm and in particular we have our most connection with coaches that have a chip on their shoulder, ones that are brash and confident.
Absolutely agree. Louisville athletic program and fans always had a chip on their shoulder until they made it to the ACC. Lost the edge that led to a hell of a run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT